Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

dissss posted:

Does the R really hold its value?

In my part of the world absolutely nothing depreciates like an expensive Volkswagen (well aside from even more expensive Audis)

I had the last gen R I bought brand new in 2013 when they retailed for 36k. I then sold it this year to Carvana with 31k miles in it for 24k.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

dissss posted:

Does the R really hold its value?

In my part of the world absolutely nothing depreciates like an expensive Volkswagen (well aside from even more expensive Audis)

I assume you mean the rest of the world where the R is a common car that you can walk in to a dealership and find them sitting on the lot just like any other car.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

chupacabraTERROR posted:

Speaking of poor handling, what is this thread's view on the Fusion Sport? It has a 5.3s 0-60, presumably is a comfier DD than a FoST, costs about the same as a GTI SEL (leather seats plz, I have a dogge), and isn't as ugly as a GTI (according to my wife, who I don't agree with but I'd rather not fight this particular battle)

Is it available with a manual transmission?

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
I would probably buy a 2018 Golf R with DSG if I was going back to one car and didn't have to care about what my wife wanted, at least until Mazda wises up and puts the 2.5T and AWD in the 3.

If I had a GTI I'd get the Autobahn anyways (have to have leather for dirty doggo and also I kind of can't bring myself to not buy THE BEST VERSION of whatever) so from there it's not that much of a leap for the R.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream

GutBomb posted:

Is it available with a manual transmission?

Unfortunately not. Just looking for a comfy DD with some get up and go that doesn't look terrible. I like the GTI but I'm also looking at alternatives. Budget is $30ish, and these Ford Fusions can be found at huge discounts (like $30k for a $40k Sport, with 0% for 72mo)

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

veedubfreak posted:

+ 100 hp
+ warranty on that 300hp
+ AWD

The R is more than just a juiced up GTI.

It doesn't feel 100hp faster and the AWD system does jack poo poo for it 90% of the time. If you have one and like it more power to you, I just could never get in to it and it was a car that IN THEORY solved the problems that I had with the GTI (power, AWD)

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

chupacabraTERROR posted:

Unfortunately not. Just looking for a comfy DD with some get up and go that doesn't look terrible. I like the GTI but I'm also looking at alternatives. Budget is $30ish, and these Ford Fusions can be found at huge discounts (like $30k for a $40k Sport, with 0% for 72mo)

reviews of them indicated they're an awful pig of a car

I'd rather try to find a discounted Regal GS

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

veedubfreak posted:

I assume you mean the rest of the world where the R is a common car that you can walk in to a dealership and find them sitting on the lot just like any other car.

Well no you'd probably still have to order one. It's more that few people would want one outside of the warranty period.

JollyPubJerk
Nov 10, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It doesn't feel 100hp faster and the AWD system does jack poo poo for it 90% of the time. If you have one and like it more power to you, I just could never get in to it and it was a car that IN THEORY solved the problems that I had with the GTI (power, AWD)

You may be in the market for a BIGGER CAR then

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

JollyPubJerk posted:

You may be in the market for a BIGGER CAR then

no?

Trans Ferdinand
Oct 24, 2005
Take Me Out Of Gear

Residency Evil posted:

I don't understand how anyone could look at the Type R next to a Golf R and take the Honda.
Perhaps they enjoy driving cars? Don't you think that the steering feel/shifter feel/most kinds of feel is going to be superior in the Type R? The Golf R is more refined than its competitors.

Some people enjoy driving outré cars.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
Lots of people drive lots of cars and I don't understand how or why, likewise people look at the cars I drive and are similarly confused. The difference is I drive the right cars :v:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Trans Ferdinand posted:

Perhaps they enjoy driving cars? Don't you think that the steering feel/shifter feel/most kinds of feel is going to be superior in the Type R? The Golf R is more refined than its competitors.

Some people enjoy driving outré cars.

Maybe. I haven't driven the Type R yet, but the early reviews make it seem like a solid effort. I'd just have a tough time justifying paying the ADM dealers seem to be asking.

Trans Ferdinand
Oct 24, 2005
Take Me Out Of Gear

Residency Evil posted:

Maybe. I haven't driven the Type R yet, but the early reviews make it seem like a solid effort. I'd just have a tough time justifying paying the ADM dealers seem to be asking.

I just find it amusing that the Type R is catching so much flack here, when I think the Focus RS looks just as ridiculous. But I remember that AI was *gushing* over the Focus RS when it first appeared, and now that the Type R has come out, people are making fun of the styling.

It's especially amusing because there hasn't been a Type R offered in the States for *fifteen years*, but when they finally bring one over, it apparently looks too boy-racer. Honda just can't win.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
The Focus RS looks boy-racery but at least makes sense to look at. The Type R does not.

rowanamethyst
Apr 30, 2015
So I got the Fiesta. Instant depreciation and all. I couldn't get approval for a lease, and I couldn't find a used one that I wanted, so the 2017 Fiesta ST is mine, at $350/mo after everything. I regret nothing. Between The Husband and myself, we can afford that easily, and the car is in both our names (though I'll mostly be the one driving it). Black paint, black wheels (with red calipers), and black interior. Her name is Morticia.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
The Fiesta is a seriously dope car. I waffled between the Fiesta and a GTI for like 2 weeks and I regret nothing, depreciation and all.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

The Focus RS looks boy-racery but at least makes sense to look at. The Type R does not.

Nah, plenty of us have made fun of the RS for being over the top. But at least it has AWD and 350hp, so it's actually as fast as it looks. The Type R just looks like someone drove into Autozone and started glueing poo poo to the car.

Trans Ferdinand
Oct 24, 2005
Take Me Out Of Gear

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

This is your opinion. The average person is going to look at both cars and see a tarted-up econobox with a wing.

veedubfreak posted:

Nah, plenty of us have made fun of the RS for being over the top. But at least it has AWD and 350hp, so it's actually as fast as it looks. The Type R just looks like someone drove into Autozone and started glueing poo poo to the car.
What does the Focus RS run at the 'Ring?

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004
What parts about the Focus RS do people think are over styled out of curiosity? The front bumper is very clean and simple, even subtle. The rear spoiler is slight larger than the ST, but not by much. The wheels are very simple. Other than that it's practically identical to a base Focus hatchback, right? Is it because they put the RS logo in a few different places or something? To me it seems very understated, not sure how you can even compare it to the myriad of spoilers, plastic fins, fake grills, etc that you get with the Type R.

Trans Ferdinand
Oct 24, 2005
Take Me Out Of Gear

100% Dundee posted:

The front bumper is very clean and simple, even subtle.
"Subtle". Two giant expanses of black, with a giant "RS" badge and a giant black mustache going across the front.

quote:

The rear spoiler is slight larger than the ST, but not by much.
It's still a spoiler. Refer to my "tarted-up econobox" comment from my previous post.

quote:

The wheels are very simple
They have a million spokes, are painted black, and the calipers are ELECTRIC BLUE. That's not "simple".

quote:

Other than that it's practically identical to a base Focus hatchback, right?
Other than the twin drainpipe exhausts at the rear, the rear splitter, the stance, and the fact that certain models are ELECTRIC BLUE. Basically identical

quote:

To me it seems very understated, not sure how you can even compare it to the myriad of spoilers, plastic fins, fake grills, etc that you get with the Type R.
It may be *more* understated. This is a relative term. Refer to my previous "tarted-up econobox" comment.

(it's worth mentioning that I find the Focus ST to be overwrought as well)

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
hood scoops are fuckin dumb

i can see how both cars are considered 'boy racer' cars but the type r is just 100x worse than the rs, there's simply nothing good looking about the current civic body style and the R just makes it all worse

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM
At first glance, the RS can easily be mistaken for a focus. At first glance, the Type R can easily be mistaken as a space ship.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Trans Ferdinand posted:

What does the Focus RS run at the 'Ring?

We can talk torque or horsepower numbers or driven wheels or pounds of plastic as metrics too

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004

Trans Ferdinand posted:

"Subtle". Two giant expanses of black, with a giant "RS" badge and a giant black mustache going across the front.

It's still a spoiler. Refer to my "tarted-up econobox" comment from my previous post.

They have a million spokes, are painted black, and the calipers are ELECTRIC BLUE. That's not "simple".

Other than the twin drainpipe exhausts at the rear, the rear splitter, the stance, and the fact that certain models are ELECTRIC BLUE. Basically identical

It may be *more* understated. This is a relative term. Refer to my previous "tarted-up econobox" comment.

(it's worth mentioning that I find the Focus ST to be overwrought as well)

Sounds like you basically just dislike modern cars, which is perfectly okay, but nearly everything you mentioned here is blown WAY out of proportion. Have you not ever seen an RS in person? Yes I would consider the front bumper to be incredibly subtle, its not body color painted, it doesn't have some crazy pinstriping or something, it doesn't have tons of extra cutouts/scoops/splitters/etc. Especially when you see it on a black RS you can barely even tell its not a base focus hatchback. "Giant RS" badges which are....2inches by 2inches. "Million spoke wheels" which in reality look incredibly basic, don't have any weird shapes, aren't deep dish or crazy concave, etc. "Drainpipe exhausts" which are 2.75" in reality. "Painted calipers" which is incredibly basic and tons of cars come with these days. "It still has a spoiler" which again, incredibly basic on almost any model of car now-a-days and again, isn't overly larger or overly aggressive or anything out of the norm.

What is a good example of a car that you think is not over-styled for reference?

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

100% Dundee posted:

What is a good example of a car that you think is not over-styled for reference?

tamry.jpg

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
The Civic Type R's that have seen the dyno are making drat near 300whp.... stock. That's 10-15whp more than the RS or 40whp more than the Golf R. Shrug.

Trans Ferdinand
Oct 24, 2005
Take Me Out Of Gear

100% Dundee posted:

Sounds like you basically just dislike modern cars, which is perfectly okay, but nearly everything you mentioned here is blown WAY out of proportion. Have you not ever seen an RS in person? Yes I would consider the front bumper to be incredibly subtle, its not body color painted, it doesn't have some crazy pinstriping or something, it doesn't have tons of extra cutouts/scoops/splitters/etc. Especially when you see it on a black RS you can barely even tell its not a base focus hatchback. "Giant RS" badges which are....2inches by 2inches. "Million spoke wheels" which in reality look incredibly basic, don't have any weird shapes, aren't deep dish or crazy concave, etc. "Drainpipe exhausts" which are 2.75" in reality. "Painted calipers" which is incredibly basic and tons of cars come with these days. "It still has a spoiler" which again, incredibly basic on almost any model of car now-a-days and again, isn't overly larger or overly aggressive or anything out of the norm.

A base Focus.

The Focus RS isn't subtle. It was specifically styled to not be that way. It was specifically styled to say THIS CAR WANTS TO EAT YOU.

And yes, the styling of modern cars is incredibly overwrought. But I find it hilarious that you see the Focus RS as "subtle" and the Type R as "too much".

KakerMix posted:

We can talk torque or horsepower numbers or driven wheels or pounds of plastic as metrics too
I was referring to veedubfreak's contention that the Type R "isn't as fast as it looks". It sounds like it might actually be faster than the Golf R and the Focus RS.

Trans Ferdinand fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jul 6, 2017

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Trans Ferdinand posted:

I was referring to veedubfreak's contention that the Type R "isn't as fast as it looks". It sounds like it might actually be faster than the Golf R and the Focus RS.

Definitely faster in aging design.

Trans Ferdinand
Oct 24, 2005
Take Me Out Of Gear

KakerMix posted:

Definitely faster in aging design.

Because that's what we're concerned about here in AI. Design, not performance.

...it *is* faster (in every conceivable metric) than the Golf R, is it not? That's why you're so defensive.

IOC: motion to rename forum to "Automotive Subtlety"

Trans Ferdinand fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jul 6, 2017

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Fun Shoe
The RS is subtle as gently caress compared to the type r. It's not even a comparison.

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004

Trans Ferdinand posted:

And yes, the styling of modern cars is incredibly overwrought. But I find it hilarious that you see the Focus RS as "subtle" and the Type R as "too much".

Again its cool if you just don't like the Focus or really dislike the color blue for some reason. But I, much in the sameway, find it hilarious that you think these two cars are even remotely similarly styled/aggressive/ridiculous/etc. The focus driving down the road you wouldn't even look twice at, the Type R assaults your eyes with angles/colors/plastic bits/etc.

Trans Ferdinand posted:

...it *is* faster (in every conceivable metric) than the Golf R, is it not? That's why you're so defensive.

Isn't it nearly half a second slower 0-60 according to most of the reviews coming out so far? And presumably similarly slower in the 1/4 mile? We'll have to wait and see when all the reviews come out.
I think we all understand that its fast around the Nürburgring but unfortunately 99% of the people who buy one will never take it to that racetrack or if they do even get remotely close to the times posted since they are not a professional racecar driver, acceleration numbers are much more important in a real world fun/ownership sense.

100% Dundee fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jul 6, 2017

Trans Ferdinand
Oct 24, 2005
Take Me Out Of Gear

100% Dundee posted:

Again its cool if you just don't like the Focus or really dislike the color blue for some reason. But I, much in the sameway, find it hilarious that you think these two cars are even remotely similarly styled/aggressive/ridiculous/etc. The focus driving down the road you wouldn't even look twice at, the Type R assaults your eyes with angles/colors/plastic bits/etc.
I disagree. I find it interesting how similar the front ends of the cars are, actually. They both have two expanses of black in the middle, broken up by a black plastic "mustache" and badging. Weird trapazoidal styling around the foglights. Giant multispoke wheels with painted calipers.

quote:

Isn't it nearly half a second slower 0-60 according to most of the reviews coming out so far? And presumably similarly slower in the 1/4 mile? We'll have to wait and see when all the reviews come out.
I think we all understand that its fast around the Nürburgring but unfortunately 99% of the people who buy one will never take it to that racetrack or if they do even get remotely close to the times posted since they are not a professional racecar driver, acceleration numbers are much more important in a real world fun/ownership sense.
So if it's that much slower in a straight line, how is it faster around the 'Ring? Tires?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Trans Ferdinand posted:

Because that's what we're concerned about here in AI. Design, not performance.

I don't get the hostility that's just flashing out from behind your uh, whatever this is, but I don't own a Golf R and daily drive a vehicle that has 40 hp, maybe not even that. What is a thing though is someone is seemingly very offended that a majority of the people in this thread that have weighed in on the situation have said "Yes the Type R is very busy compared to the RS" so that's a reality you are going to have to live with.

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004

Trans Ferdinand posted:

I disagree. I find it interesting how similar the front ends of the cars are, actually. They both have two expanses of black in the middle, broken up by a black plastic "mustache" and badging. Weird trapazoidal styling around the foglights. Giant multispoke wheels with painted calipers.

So if it's that much slower in a straight line, how is it faster around the 'Ring? Tires?

So you're just failing to see the front splitter/sideskirts with the red pinstriping all across it? The extra cutouts on the sides of the foglights? The huge cutout right under the hood/over the headlights? The hood scoop? The huge spoiler(compared to the RS at least)? The widebody fenders? This isn't even taking into account the back of the vehicle where there is, as you would say, "drain pipe sized" exhausts + a third small exhaust in the center for some reason. Additional plastic fins above the hatch, another spoiler below the huge spoiler and more huge plastic cutouts on the bumper(which are blocked and thusly do not flow air) as well as a rear splitter. C'mon now. You're really downplaying one of the major aspects of the car, it is VERY extra. Extra on top of extra. That's part of what makes it so lovable, at least to me.

As far as why its faster around the Ring, maybe that has something to do with the corners?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Trans Ferdinand posted:

YOU'RE NOT MY SUPERVISOR!

Also for fucks sake, the RS is anything but subtle. Simple and clean might be better words for it, but it's not subtle.

The Type R looks like a Nick Wirth(less) design.

I'd still drive either with a shiteating grin on my face.

Trans Ferdinand
Oct 24, 2005
Take Me Out Of Gear

KakerMix posted:

I don't get the hostility that's just flashing out from behind your uh, whatever this is, but I don't own a Golf R and daily drive a vehicle that has 40 hp, maybe not even that. What is a thing though is someone is seemingly very offended that a majority of the people in this thread that have weighed in on the situation have said "Yes the Type R is very busy compared to the RS" so that's a reality you are going to have to live with.

I have you mixed up with someone who owns a Golf R, my mistake. I recall a few people had purchased them in this thread. I wouldn't say that I'm "offended" - groupthink is a thing that happens, so I just put it down to that. There are also many, many more Ford Focus ST/RS owners in this thread than Type R/Si owners (of any generation).

IOwnCalculus posted:

Also for fucks sake, the RS is anything but subtle. Simple and clean might be better words for it, but it's not subtle.

Thank you. It's not that I think that the Type R is subtle (or styled well). It's that I don't consider the Focus RS to be much of an exemplar in those categories

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Personally I like them both - certainly better than yet another snooze-fest Golf variant

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
I like my snoozefest Golf. Keeps the popo off my rear end.

Also, I can actually have coworkers ride in my car without feeling like I'm 16 driving my parents around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

Actually the worst thing about the new Civic is the orange light on the front arches.

Its always on and just close enough in position to regular side indicator lights that if you're next to one in traffic, at a glance, it looks like the driver is indicating to move over when they actually aren't.

Its infuriating.