Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

You can impose challenges on yourself or mod the files to keep it interesting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Cyrano4747 posted:

Meanwhile I"ve played two MC2 campaigns to completion because it put me in the mood\.
MC2 as in Mech Commander 2?

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Cyrano4747 posted:

Hit up the MC2:Omnitech fan made campaigns. There are a few really good ones. Exodus and the remake of the MW2:Mercs campaign are both standouts.

Good idea, thanks!

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

MC2 as in Mech Commander 2?

yup. poo poo's free-as-in-beer too!

http://www.moddb.com/mods/mechcommander-omnitech/downloads

You want the latest build of MC:O, which comes with the exodus campaign IIRC. You can also get the original Carver V campaigns as an add-on. The MW:Mercs campaign is also good. Just install all the extra poo poo into the same directory you put MC:O.

Not all the user campaigns are good, of course, but if one sucks just stop playing it since, you know, it's free.

edit: note that a lot of the user campaigns are designed to be HARD. The Exodus campaign that comes with MC:O in particular is loving brutal. I love it, but you need to be on your game and know what you're doing.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
I'm close to done with the Exodus Campaign, it's v enjoyable and challenging for a save scrumming perfectionist like me.

THat Turkeyna looks like rear end but with Twitch being specialized in lasers it's a goddam killer.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Cyrano4747 posted:

yup. poo poo's free-as-in-beer too!

Wait... where do I get free beer?

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Anta posted:

Trip report: I tried the 20 million team vs the first default 15 million team (Light Assault(?)) on River Crossing. I beat them fairly handily with no losses and only a few armor breaches, doing what I usually do against the AI.

I abused reserve to get unopposed shots with the Urbanmechs and kept out of LOS so that the AI had to work to get LOS on my units, while my own team would all get LOS on one enemy at a time. Usually, that means the AI comes in piecemeal and scattered, this time they stuck together a little better, making things a little harder. Instead, I got the AI to split up by jumping and sprinting one of the Urbanmechs off to one side and focusing the rest of my mechs on the other side. This got the Trebuchet and one Hunchback to chase after it. Urbies are surprisingly tough on evasive so the two mechs that went after it didn't really do much damage to it. I got a lucky early headshot on the tac master Hunchback, which made things easier, but I would probably not had much trouble either way. The AI is both too timid and too aggressive. The surviving Hunchback rushed in to a 2v1 against my Kintaro and my own hunchback, while the Centurion hung back, shooting indirect LRMs to pretty much no effect.

I think the reason the AI works a little better with this team is that they have fairly similar movement profiles, they're a little harder to scatter in the beginning. The teams I've had the most trouble against are teams with a relatively quick heavy or assault on maps where I can't easily play keepaway. There the AI gets in my face quick and overwhelms me with tonnage.

Yea, the Light Assault Lance was what I settled on using to beat it the first few times. Nice work getting them to split chase! I could never get them to split chase me and somehow the CN9-A was always doing AC/10+LRMs. With just LRMs you could easily not concern yourself with it until it's last. I think my problem was trying to find a way to beat them in an upfront fight. After a few Locust Challenges and some scenarios the "Run away, get LOS to only 1 unit, repeat" got boring like others have been posting here.

All of those Lances were purposefully setup for similar movement profiles for exactly the reasons you noted. My latest thing is editing the Atlas cost to 0 and setting up the AI with 4x Atlas' Death Valley (Apex, Sumo, Buckshot, Paradise) and using a 25mil team, forced charge up the middle, no big mesa to hide behind. Closest thing to "Final Destination, no items" style I can make up. No water, minimal terrain and no way out reserve the AI. I got 3/4 mechs to live and I'm sure no losses is possible, even without the hit-and-fade tactic I'm sure will be the standard of the SP campaign.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Hot from the new brown sea, a pubbies dream:

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Phrosphor posted:

Hot from the new brown sea, a pubbies dream:

Patently ridiculous. We all know no brown sea poster will ever be that close to a woman.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Great Beer posted:

Patently ridiculous. We all know no brown sea poster will ever be that close to a woman.

im the windows XP UI

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

This thread needs more pretty pictures.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Phrosphor posted:

This thread needs more pretty pictures.

Sounds about right, put it in the OP.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
People have been digging into the code and it seems crits currently work in a weird way that makes them much less of a thing that they were in TT. Looks like destroyed components still soak crits if they get rolled again. No wonder almost every fight ends with a CT kill - it's incredibly hard to crit something to death. Also supposedly damage to the same location from multi-hit weapons doesn't get extra crit chances either.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Any indication on whether that's as intended or going to change? Because CT killing everything works, sure - but I hope the salvage system would compensate for the piles of cored mechs we'll be leaving on every battlefield.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Gwaihir posted:

im the windows XP UI

To be honest that's probably the most realistic part. "This [game/OS] was fine when it was released and clearly never has to change, ever!"

I can't decide if that's more unfair to FASA or to Microsoft, but it's perfectly on-point that someone would put in the XP UI.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Psion posted:

Any indication on whether that's as intended or going to change? Because CT killing everything works, sure - but I hope the salvage system would compensate for the piles of cored mechs we'll be leaving on every battlefield.

I seriously doubt they're going to go pure TT for salvage rules. That would just gut the merc mechanic, and frankly it even kind of went against the universe lore to the point where I"m pretty sure they updated the rules down the road to make cored mechs salvageable as long as arty wasn't involved or something else really catastrophic (ammo explosions) didn't happen. I know that those kinds of salvage rules were always the first thing everyone house ruled.

My take on it is that the original TT rules were created so that you wouldn't get utterly insane force accumulation as units salvaged everything after every match, as they couldn't assume a competent GM. A good GM with the later rules or similar house rules can just make salvage rare via mercenary contracts or GM shenanigans (Oh no, a counter attack before your salvage crews are done! Do you square off against 1.5x your force in damaged vehicles, or grab what you can and GTFO?).

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

that's a good point. If we tend to salvage mechs with blown CTs and CTs are really expensive to repair, it puts a natural limit on the number of fieldable mechs you have early and provides a pretty easy way to expand your stable lategame - money is your limiting factor, not parts.

...well now I kinda like this idea :v:

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Psion posted:

that's a good point. If we tend to salvage mechs with blown CTs and CTs are really expensive to repair, it puts a natural limit on the number of fieldable mechs you have early and provides a pretty easy way to expand your stable lategame - money is your limiting factor, not parts.

...well now I kinda like this idea :v:

What I'd really like to see is a mechanism for writing off a chassis. Let's say you core out a Commando. Early game you probably don't have the cash to repair it 100%, while late game it's just a loving commando. It would be nice if the option existed to break it down for parts and use it to repair your other poo poo. All it would really take is an abstracted "spare parts" resource that would represent the assorted structural beams, myomers, actuators sensors, etc. that makes up the parts of a mech that are just assumed as being under the hood along with the guns, engine, and heatsinks.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Would that be different from just selling your cored out chassis for money and turning that money into repairing another mech?

I mean, I agree there should be some way to turn a chassis into resources, I'm just not sure what a second effective currency type would do.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

The second effective currency will be gourmet chocolates, which you will use to bribe technicians and backwater nobles of all sorts.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Zaodai posted:

The second effective currency will be gourmet chocolates, which you will use to bribe technicians and backwater nobles of all sorts.

which can only be bought with premium credits, which are of course RMT

in other news, Battletech is moving to iOS (the source of all the delays) and is now F2P ...

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Psion posted:

which can only be bought with premium credits, which are of course RMT

in other news, Battletech is moving to iOS (the source of all the delays) and is now F2P ...

Don't even joke like that.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

veedubfreak posted:

Don't even joke like that.

top in-app purchases include:
($10) ATLAS PACK - Mission 1 access to a unique-skinned ATLAS 'mech, king of the battlefield!
($5) 10000 C-BILL PACK: Get a head start on the competition with this infusion of Space AT&T Calltime!
($45) 100000 C-BILL PACK: Best value! Nobody can stand in the way of your monopoly on space internet!
($100) LOSTECH PACK: For the Trueborn Warrior, the Ultimate Technology, unlocked immediately!

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Psion posted:

top in-app purchases include:
($10) ATLAS PACK - Mission 1 access to a unique-skinned ATLAS 'mech, king of the battlefield!
($5) 10000 C-BILL PACK: Get a head start on the competition with this infusion of Space AT&T Calltime!
($45) 100000 C-BILL PACK: Best value! Nobody can stand in the way of your monopoly on space internet!
($100) LOSTECH PACK: For the Trueborn Warrior, the Ultimate Technology, unlocked immediately!

:shepicide:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I've already spent over $100 on this game, what's a hundred more? :colbert:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

($200) TETATAE PACK - Want a noble bird warrior statue in your quarters on the ARGO? Call in the official delivery crew with this pack!

comstar hire me, i'm obviously evil enough

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Psion posted:

($200) TETATAE PACK - Want a noble bird warrior statue in your quarters on the ARGO? Call in the official delivery crew with this pack!

comstar hire me, i'm obviously evil enough

I'll be honest, I'd pay $20 for a MWO warhorn that went "SQUAK" when you killed someone.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Cyrano4747 posted:

I'll be honest, I'd pay $20 for a MWO warhorn that went "SQUAK" when you killed someone.

The Jade Falcon war horn is already in the game and costs like 3 bucks.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Great Beer posted:

The Jade Falcon war horn is already in the game and costs like 3 bucks.

Eh, not quite what I had in mind.

I mean a loud annoying guy just going "SQUAK" into a mic

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Zaodai posted:

So bribing all sorts of people with all sorts?

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Psion posted:

To be honest that's probably the most realistic part. "This [game/OS] was fine when it was released and clearly never has to change, ever!"

I can't decide if that's more unfair to FASA or to Microsoft, but it's perfectly on-point that someone would put in the XP UI.

We should be happy it's not a Win95 mockup made in Photoshop 2.0

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Personally, I like to pretend that CT cored 'Mechs aren't actually unsalvageable, just that the modifier to repair that CT internal structure is like +5 or something prohibitively high for in the field ops. You might get to roll boxcars in the field, but more likely you're going to have to take like four days with a decent tech team in a dropship bay at minimum to have a decent chance of repairing it well enough to use. Not gone gone, but 'gone' as far as the current operation/contract cares.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Plus you still need to obtain a new identical engine for it.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Psion posted:

i get the feeling the xp ui is indicative of whoever posted the picture making it 10 years ago and posting it anytime someone started a discussion about getting a fully funded battletech computer game ever since

where has ham sandwiches been anyway

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Our house rule for CT cored mechs was that the overkill damage became a skill modifier in addition to the usual ones.

Did once result in a +27 check being made because of exploding 10's. :getin:

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

I remember a dev post on the HBS forums stating if the internal component was red, that was destroyed, yellow was damaged, but fixable and black locations were destroyed. What bugged me is if I cut a right torso off a Victor, the corresponding arm (and AC/20 inside) are just as red and dead as if I had blasted it to bits in the post game report. I hope we get to see more of the salvage and merc aspects as they mature.

I ended up with a lot of the same kind of ideas you guys had, with a general "spare parts" value to recovered bits- it could break down the legs, heads and arms you salvaged from a normal torso blowout in to generic "spare parts" to upkeep your own limbs without needing to hunt down that special HBK-4P laser hunch to repair your own 4P. This also makes selling spares easy as you just program how many spare part units a limb is worth instead of tracking how many Locust legs you got on the Argo. That and "scrap-to-cash" as a "this is the poo poo you recovered that is total trash, here is a little money for the raw materials" and suddenly you have a very streamlined buy/sale + repair/rearm system for mech hardware that isn't guns, ammo and armor. Might end up more like :xcom: in that you have to constantly be selling your spares you won't need to keep afloat and make room for stuff you do.

They might also make "totally destroyed mech" no-so-final by just simply attaching an exuberant cost (in money & time) to recover any mech from anything. So you could get in to situations where you could "take a loan" and put it to recovering that completely dead Atlas you just killed and won't get to use until months later. Will it pay off or be a lark? Their could be some fun in that side of the management process, but we just don't know if that kind of thing is even in scope.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Cowcaster posted:

i get the feeling the xp ui is indicative of whoever posted the picture making it 10 years ago and posting it anytime someone started a discussion about getting a fully funded battletech computer game ever since

It is a Microsoft Surface OG so I think that does date it for about a decade ago. The original product was a huge table sized touchscreen device. Your table ornaments were all applications you could place on top of it I seem to remember.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Cowcaster posted:

Not much to post, speculating about the unreleased game is apparently highly illegal, so I'm just waiting for the game to come out so I can play it. Also I'll try to spare the thread my thoughts on the game in general given that few people seemed to be enjoying the discussion last time :ohdear:

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Psion posted:

Well if I'm reading it right, there are ton of things you can tweak in the game, to the point where you could make a straight TT clone with some fiddling. And HBS are very tight lipped where on the scale between arcade and simulationist it'll end up falling. But I could be pretty far on both ends, given the current engine and code.

Edit: There's already mods for new mechs and weapons out. Including a fucntioning coolant pod so even the stuff that isn't just "gun with different stats" works.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jul 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Amechwarrior posted:

just simply attaching an exuberant cost

That Atlas is just so exited to cost 12 million C-bills!