Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

Your silence only incriminates you further.
It's cool that years later people on Something Awful still genuinely think that some goony guy with google maps, wikipedia, and a check from the Atlantic Council is an excellent news source and Seymour loving Hersh isn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Maarek posted:

It's cool that years later people on Something Awful still genuinely think that some goony guy with google maps, wikipedia, and a check from the Atlantic Council is an excellent news source and Seymour loving Hersh isn't.

Did you bother to read the transcript? Or did you only watch the Alex Jones interview?

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
I can't imagine why people are still amazed that there's people who doubt US motivations for war when there's like 2 wars in its entire history that haven't been started for bullshit, usually fraudulent reasons. Even in the last 40 years we had both Iraq wars and Libya.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Maarek posted:

The goony guy didn't go on Alex Jones to discuss the Obama-ISIS connection conspiracy.

Agnosticnixie posted:

I can't imagine why people are still amazed that there's people who doubt US motivations for war when there's like 2 wars in its entire history that haven't been started for bullshit, usually fraudulent reasons. Even in the last 40 years we had both Iraq wars and Libya.

There's doubting US motivations and then there's spewing self-evidently stupid bullshit like a firehose.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.

El Disco posted:

I was talking about these sorts of people in general, but Mark Ames is there on Twitter saying Hersh should sue BM for libel. I would think that means he supports Hersh and his idiotic claim that there was no Sarin used. And if he's doing that, it means he's either an idiot or is an Assad supporter.

So yeah, I will concede that it could be that Ames is just very dumb.

https://twitter.com/MarkAmesExiled/status/880479248812736515

loving lmao.

Mark Ames writes a bunch of sensational tweets, but that's less rare among journalist than you might think and not really indicative of anything at all. I can understand how that might get lost in an era where people are supposed to flip out about whatever the US President tweet last night but it's the drat truth.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Mark Ames also did a lot of sex crimes while he worked at Exiled.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I sort of understand where Ames is coming there because I'm honestly confused as to why bellingcat, which is supposed to be a relatively neutral fact-finding organization, is wading into a public conflict with a journalist anyway. The UN doesn't issue reports saying journalists are full of poo poo. Amnesty and HRW don't publish editorials addressing journalists who contradict them. I find the whole crusade against one of America's most accomplished journalists really bizarre but particularly coming from what's supposed to be professional, disinterested source.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

Maarek posted:

The good news is that if you simply wait around for a year or so everyone will be regurgitating all of today's bannable thoughts anyway. The cycle of D&D life goes on.

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth
No you see supposedly neutral organisations get into internet feuds with journalists all the time. This in no way makes bellingcat look like an amateurish partisan organisation at all.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Mark Ames also did a lot of sex crimes while he worked at Exiled.

I swear this also came up in the thread a few months ago.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
The blatant tone policing over the response to Hersh's latest lie is hilarious.

Did someone put up the white knight light on global research?

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

thatfatkid posted:

No you see supposedly neutral organisations get into internet feuds with journalists all the time. This in no way makes bellingcat look like an amateurish partisan organisation at all.

Excuse me but Brown Moses will be the first to tell you that Bellingcat publishes contrary pieces all the time and actually provides a very balanced profile of global conflict. He has absolutely no power to determine which particular piece of dogshit gets picked up and smeared around by the establishment press.

Enjoy your ban, chucklefuck.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

farraday posted:

The blatant tone policing over the response to Hersh's latest lie is hilarious.

Did someone put up the white knight light on global research?

There are people who are seriously emotionally invested in hating Sy Hersh because he "supports Assad", as though Assad is some sort of unique historical evil, and they honestly believe it's from deep heartfelt convictions rather than a transparent media campaign to demonize him.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Thug Lessons posted:

There are people who are seriously emotionally invested in hating Sy Hersh because he "supports Assad", as though Assad is some sort of unique historical evil, and they honestly believe it's from deep heartfelt convictions rather than a transparent media campaign to demonize him.

I hate Hersh because he used an embarrassingly bad chat log as his source. If he wants to write another article that isn't pure fantasy, I'll reconsider.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

El Disco posted:

I hate Hersh because he used an embarrassingly bad chat log as his source. If he wants to write another article that isn't pure fantasy, I'll reconsider.

Breaking My Lai and Abu Ghraib isn't good enough for you?

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Thug Lessons posted:

Those are why I'd be willing to forgive if he retracts his Sarin claim.

Though I'll forever laugh at him about his Alex Jones interview.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Thug Lessons posted:

"Doing two very good things means we should believe Mr Hersh forever."

If anything, that predisposes him to give undue credence to sources that position themselves as anti-US.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Thug Lessons posted:

None of this has anything to do with whether or not he is currently a good journalist.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

El Disco posted:

Those are why I'd be willing to forgive if he retracts his Sarin claim.

Though I'll forever laugh at him about his Alex Jones interview.

Even if you were entirely right this would be like hating Einstein because he rejected quantum mechanics and believed in some bullshit unified theory later in his later life. It makes no sense from any reasonable perspective.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Thug Lessons posted:

Even if you were entirely right this would be like hating Einstein because he rejected quantum mechanics and believed in some bullshit unified theory later in his later life. It makes no sense from any reasonable perspective.

I was right in the past, that means I'm forever right in the future. Also Einstein did eventually accept QM, and physicists are still looking for a unified theory that combines classical physics and QM.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Warbadger posted:

None of this has anything to do with whether or not he is currently a good journalist.

Okay, since you're an expert on this, who are the good journalists? The ones that said attacking Syria with Tomahawks was what made Trump Presidential or the ones that literally creamed their pants live over it?

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Thug Lessons posted:

Einstein didn't have his theories refuted, respond by doubling down, then attempt to use his reputation to engage in character assassination while proposing increasingly poorly conceived theories.

Thug Lessons posted:

Okay, since you're an expert on this, who are the good journalists? The ones that said attacking Syria with Tomahawks was what made Trump Presidential or the ones that literally creamed their pants live over it?

Well, this is a hell of strawman and has nothing to do with the topic, but I'd say Brown Moses has done a pretty good job reporting on the subject!

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jul 6, 2017

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

El Disco posted:

Do you seriously think it's healthy to hate an investigate journalist because he came to a different conclusion than the ones you're conditioned to take as fact?

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Warbadger posted:

Einstein didn't have his theories refuted, respond by doubling down, then attempt to use his reputation to engage in character assassination while proposing increasingly poorly conceived theories.

That's exactly what he did but basically none of this applies to Seymour Hersh lol

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Thug Lessons posted:

That's exactly what he did but basically none of this applies to Seymour Hersh lol

It's not at all what he did and the murderous dictator cheerleader crew is seriously salty about this lol.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Warbadger posted:

It's not at all what he did and the murderous dictator cheerleader crew is seriously salty about this lol.

When you start posting like this it's time to consider whether it's just a brain parasite talking.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

thatfatkid posted:

Do you seriously think it's healthy to hate an investigate journalist because he came to a different conclusion than the ones you're conditioned to take as fact?

You're projecting hard here. Most of us don't hate Hersh, we just know he's wrong and want him to stop going on Infowars et all spewing conspiracy theories. Also what the hell does "conditioned" mean here? Thinking you're the only free thinker and everyone else is just a programmed puppet is a personality disorder, not an argument.

Motherfucker, you're the one who's been obstinately deflecting for pages on end and calling everyone you don't like an imperialist stooge.

Stop just being a smug contrarian and tell us what you think happened in Khan Sheyhoun and why you think that.

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth
Read the post I quoted, he literally said he hates Hersh.

I don't know what happened, none of you know either. I'm not going to draw conclusions from a report based on secondhand evidence provided by a biased party.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

thatfatkid posted:

Read the post I quoted, he literally said he hates Hersh.

I don't know what happened, none of you know either. I'm not going to draw conclusions from a report based on secondhand evidence provided by a biased party.
Nobody can know anything for certain, therefore the lion Assad is innocent and you can't make fun of me for believing there's a pink teapot circling the planet Pluto.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006
Not even 5 minutes into the interview Hersh lays out why he's on infowars at all, and he's right: it doesn't matter what the venue is in the slightest, and if LRB is going to blackball him along with all the other muppets in the imperial core then the only real choice is to go through other channels and let the conditions do the talking instead. Which, if your skull hasn't been hollowed out by liberal brain rot and 15 unbroken years of being top-to-bottom wrong about everything, are speaking quite loudly in recent months. This whole sick game of claiming fealty to facts and rationality and credibility and sources and everything else but meanwhile you're prostrated beneath the tiny nerd dick of a fat wastrel who collates youtube videos for a living is infinitely more farcical than anything Alex Jones could ever dream up.

Honestly the real KGB would be awed by the efficiency which which American foreign policy discourse is corralled and contained. They've got it down to a mere two code words--chemical weapons--and all the adorable little Buckeys straighten out and reach for their guns. It's inspiring, really.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Woozy posted:

Not even 5 minutes into the interview Hersh lays out why he's on infowars at all, and he's right: it doesn't matter what the venue is in the slightest, and if LRB is going to blackball him along with all the other muppets in the imperial core then the only real choice is to go through other channels and let the conditions do the talking instead. Which, if your skull hasn't been hollowed out by liberal brain rot and 15 unbroken years of being top-to-bottom wrong about everything, are speaking quite loudly in recent months. This whole sick game of claiming fealty to facts and rationality and credibility and sources and everything else but meanwhile you're prostrated beneath the tiny nerd dick of a fat wastrel who collates youtube videos for a living is infinitely more farcical than anything Alex Jones could ever dream up.

Honestly the real KGB would be awed by the efficiency which which American foreign policy discourse is corralled and contained. They've got it down to a mere two code words--chemical weapons--and all the adorable little Buckeys straighten out and reach for their guns. It's inspiring, really.

Yeah, this.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Woozy posted:

So wait, exactly what did Brown Moses get wrong?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

As another anti-interventionist, I want to say that I think the truther poo poo about sarin is embarrassing, and I wish more people felt that it was possible to find a middle ground between continually expanding our forever war vs parroting Russian propaganda.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

It's cool that we've been able to move on from the D&D foreign policy stalwarts of 'what are the permissible affective stances to have toward Russia and the Syrian government' to exciting new topics like 'what are the permissible affective stances to have toward particular journalists'.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Woozy posted:

Same poo poo all you retards ever have to say. Bunch of dumb bullshit conspiracy theories and fear mongering about what the illuminati are doing. Never mind the details of what's going on. You're too dumb to be able to analyze what's going on, so you just simplify it to internet nerd vs pulitzer winner, without knowing dick about what either of them are saying, or what anyone outside of those two are saying. And yet, you pick a side. It's pathetic, and it's beyond hilarious that you want to make references to the sheeple when you yourself are just blindly trusting people and talking out of your rear end.

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jul 6, 2017

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Volkerball posted:

Same poo poo all you retards ever have to say. Bunch of dumb bullshit conspiracy theories and fear mongering about what the illuminati are doing. Never mind the details of what's going on. You're too dumb to be able to analyze what's going on, so you just simplify it to internet nerd vs pulitzer winner, without knowing dick about what either of them are saying, or what anyone outside of those two are saying. And yet, you pick a side. It's pathetic, and it's beyond hilarious that you want to make references to the sheeple when you yourself are just blindly trusting people and talking out of your rear end.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

This isn't the post your favorite dumb poo poo memes you found on reddit thread, in case you got lost.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

chitoryu12 posted:

So wait, exactly what did Brown Moses get wrong?

The size of his dick, I guess? Also some poo poo about brain rot and core worlds of the Imperium or something I dunno. :shrug:

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Lmao, people in this thread unironically defending Hersh's chat log, claiming we are all conditioned to believe what we're told, even as they buy into the biggest pile of bullshit this war has produced.

• Locked thread