Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Macaluso posted:

Shows like that that are specifically for really young kids, the kind of thing you'd see on Nick Jr, were sometimes some of the weirdest stuff. Years and years ago I saw this show called Wonder Pets, and it starred... a duck? I think? And a hamster? And something else. And they had a little song they sung too. And they just went around saving animals who were in dire need. But like one was a BABY ELEPHANT who was stuck in a tree somehow?? I also remember there was one where a pidgeon or... something, wanted to join as a fourth member but he kept loving things up and most of the episode was them trying to get rid of him cause he was too much of a fuckup to join the team.

I watched a marathon of Wonderpets when I was sick as a dog one day so I have a bizarre attachment to that show, it's cute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I remember there was some show about magical kaolas back on Nick Jr waaay back in the day.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Samuel Clemens posted:

Similarly, one of the best animated films in recent years was Shaun the Sheep, which is the very definition of simple, low-key entertainment.

Shaun the Sheep is just real good in general. I genuinely really love the TV show because Aardman are really good at conveying characters without dialogue.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

I must have seen this in a YTMND or thought I hallucinated it until I decided to check if it actually happened.
The Wonder Pets mull over their dining and urinary habits.

You beat me to this. I went as fast as I could to YouTube after noticing that someone mentioned Wonder Pets.

That is, hands down, the BEST episode of a modern children's show I have ever seen. I first heard about it from one of the local radio morning show guys after his son started watching the show. He seriously couldn't believe what he had saw and heard. Then I saw it too.

I don't think I have ever laughed so hard in my life.

Except maybe the time my roommate finally saw A Goofy Movie and randomly whispered "Do it! God wants you to sin." when the map opened up and the pencil rolled toward Max just was he was thinking of changing the route.

Flaccid Trip
Apr 29, 2008

Robindaybird posted:

I remember there was some show about magical kaolas back on Nick Jr waaay back in the day.

There were 2. Noozles and Blinky Bill.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Macaluso posted:

Shows like that that are specifically for really young kids, the kind of thing you'd see on Nick Jr, were sometimes some of the weirdest stuff.

I'll defend my enjoyment of Yo Gabba Gabba to the grave. That show barely tried to hide that it was geared toward young kids and stoners equally.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Pixar Week 2

Short film:
Geri's Game - A harrowing portrait of senility (nah but it was good! I was particularly impressed by the animation of his hands and how he handled the chess pieces)

Main feature: A Bug's Life

- It took me a bit to warm up to this movie, but once we moved away from the ant colony and met all the supporting characters I was into it. Overall a pretty fun movie, even if it's a bit shaky technically, and the story is a bit generic.

- Hopper is a great villain, probably one of the stronger Pixar villains overall. But his death... man that was gruesome. And it was a bit too convenient that the bird went for him rather than Flik or any of the other insects standing around. I don't like stochastic villain deaths. They need to be either deliciously ironic or well-orchestrated by the heroes.

- I had so much of this movie conflated with stuff from Antz in my mind. Like big underground scenes where they form towers with their bodies to escape water - that's all from Antz but I thought it was in this one. And no, I probably will never rewatch Antz.

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

Hedrigall posted:

Pixar Week 2

- Hopper is a great villain, probably one of the stronger Pixar villains overall. But his death... man that was gruesome. And it was a bit too convenient that the bird went for him rather than Flik or any of the other insects standing around. I don't like stochastic villain deaths. They need to be either deliciously ironic or well-orchestrated by the heroes.

The bird would go straight towards the largest insect around, wouldn't it? I haven't seen that movie since release, but was the lardass caterpillar in that scene?

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~

CRINDY posted:

Hey, there's a festival over in Europe right now that's premiering some promising stuff!

I love the art style for "Big Bad Fox and Other Tales," a French 2D animated flick that looks like it's the follow-up to Ernest and Celestine - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G55ToR5lP6A

This looks really cute. The art style and the shot framing is kind of interesting for a theatrical movie.

Someday I need to get around to watching all these French animated films.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Pentaro posted:

The bird would go straight towards the largest insect around, wouldn't it? I haven't seen that movie since release, but was the lardass caterpillar in that scene?

As I recall the Flik and Hopper are pretty separated from all the other insects at the time, and well Hopper is an infinitely more filling meal than just one worker ant. It is notable that the bird does go for the caterpillar every chance it can get.

Also it's night time, and Hopper is making an awful racket compared to everyone else.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
The Lost Animations channel on YouTube is really great, you guys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iMsevol3WM

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

CRINDY posted:

Hey, there's a festival over in Europe right now that's premiering some promising stuff!

I love the art style for "Big Bad Fox and Other Tales," a French 2D animated flick that looks like it's the follow-up to Ernest and Celestine - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G55ToR5lP6A

This looks adorable. Hope it shows up here with subs at some point.

I have nothing against dubs other than I can't remember the last dub of any movie I didn't cringe at. Actually it may have been Spirited Away in the theatre way back when.

Someone posted a translation in the comments as well and it got a laugh out of me:

Voice off screen: The audience is here! Hurry up!
Fox: Wait, I’m not readyyy- heheheh! Hello, dear audience! Tonight, we’re going to act out three plays!

[After Ernest and Célestine]
Fox: Ladies and gentlemen, here comes the Big Bad Fox! RAAAHHHH!
Hen: Ah, no! It’s the third time this week! That’s enough!
Fox: No but it- it’s because I’m hungry, actually...
Hen: I don’t care!

[The Big Bad Fox]
Fox: And yet I did everything like you!
Wolf: Which means?
Fox: You know, the thing you do! AahhHh [coughs]
Wolf: Oh, this. [ROAAAR]
Fox: That’s it.

(Eggs hatch)
Fox: Dinner is served...
Chick: Mommy!
Fox: What do you mean, ‘mommy’? But- but I’m not a hen!

[And other tales...]
Fox: You are chicks! You must be afraid of me!
(Wolf howls)
Chick: What’s this cry, mommy?
Fox: Mister Wolf is slightly angry...!

Dog: Oh, shut up! Can’t you see I’m trying to save your life!
Fox: [screams]
Dog: W- well, I tried.

Hen: Your chicks tried to bite some of their little classmates!
Other hen: And they attempted to eat Michel!
Michel: Hello ma’am!

Duck: What if we tried being responsible adults from now on?
(SCREAMING)

Little dog: Look Dad! They’re flying!
Dog: Yeah, well... Right now they’re mostly falling, though!

Fox (off screen): Enough with the silly, childish games!

Hen: Mommy is going to beat up the bad guy.

Hen: YAAAH!! … Was it good?
Fox: Excellent.

[The Big Bad Fox and Other Tales...]
Michel: Hello everyone, did you like the show?
Fox: Michel! Can somebody come and get Michel?!
Wolf: Er, I can take care of it if you want. It doesn’t bother me at all.
Fox: No it’s okay- hop, here, look, he’s gone!

[In theaters June 21st]

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jul 3, 2017

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife
It's getting a dub based off this trailer

https://youtu.be/Z5qbPXQLU9U

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Based on one set of lines that wasn't awful so I'm excited :)

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013
The dub for Ernest and Celestine was pretty good. So it's good to see that this one will likely be decent as well.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I watched Storks on netflix the other day, what a film that offered very little outside of "aw how cute" poo poo. The only real positives are the Wolves, the Penguin fight and Toady Pigeon while there isn't much else going on. It's such a waste of Andy Samberg who I'm generally a fan of.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I liked Storks :(

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

People are starting to post clips from the Tom and Jerry Willy Wonka mashup on Twitter and it... sure is something.

https://twitter.com/jakestrick/status/882277375009935360

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

That looks so cheap, and jesus christ, what's with the way Oompa mouse keeps stressing the wrong syllables and overly exaggerated faces?

The reason that scene ended up so eerie in the original was Gene Wilder being so calm and nonchalant the entire time.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/SMonsterMash/status/882064167301242881

I need to watch this movie and I need to do a podcast or something on it.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Holy poo poo, I didn't expect a new Foodfight! to come out of loving nowhere. If someone sets up a 24 hour stream, I'll make a livewatch thread.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

those are some seriously ugly humans

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

:stare: they never found the bodies of his victims

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Robindaybird posted:

That looks so cheap, and jesus christ, what's with the way Oompa mouse keeps stressing the wrong syllables and overly exaggerated faces?

The reason that scene ended up so eerie in the original was Gene Wilder being so calm and nonchalant the entire time.

I replied that this is like something out of Tiny Toons only that Tiny Toons would have done it better.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Waffleman_ posted:

Saying I'm not authorized.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

So I guess this movie is gonna be like the next Zelda CDI or something:

I...uh...hmmm

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

That movie looks like poo poo, but some of those faces look pretty good, and the others seem like between-frames. I dunno, the animation is probably the least of that movie's problems.

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mye922yk65Y&t=87s

Wow so it really is just a lovely version of the Gene Wilder movie.

edit: I just realized the reason that the song goes flat halfway through is because they mixed the sound wrong, because that guy's part is in the original movie, too.

ThePlague-Daemon fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jul 5, 2017

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It's the classic movie but worse and it also has a B plot with Tom and Jerry, who literally haven't been good since maybe the 60s?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

ExplodingSims posted:

I...uh...hmmm

Middle face was me when I learned this movie even existed.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

ExplodingSims posted:

I...uh...hmmm

Those really do look like they didn't have a model to go off.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Might as well just show your kids Willy Wonka. That thing is utterly pointless.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Detective No. 27 posted:

That movie looks like poo poo, but some of those faces look pretty good, and the others seem like between-frames. I dunno, the animation is probably the least of that movie's problems.

The tweet's been made private now but I caught it and I can say it...does not look better in motion.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I can believe that.

Remember the Tom and Jerry movie where they talked? I only have vague memories of it, but I can see how it didn't become a classic staple.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

At least that film gave us this excellent line delivery.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
I bit the bullet and managed to find the Willy Wonka Tom & Jerry on YouTube in full. And for all the purists out there, do not worry, they kept in Slugworth's song and the flying Mexican Droopy. Also Slugworth is essentially straight up murdered twice, both before and after the reveal at the end. Who asked for this?

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

ExplodingSims posted:

I...uh...hmmm

"Don! Don, it's Marvin. Your cousin, Marvin Bluth. You know that new face you're looking for? Well, look at this!"

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

So is it literally just the Wonka movie but with Tom and Jerry and Cuebert Farnsworth?

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife
I was awake when that went live on Amazon a few weeks ago and I was disturbingly close to paying the $15 to buy it out of morbid curiosity. Then I thought for one second, mentally punched myself in the face and clicked away from the window.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

My birthday is next week and my present to myself is to watch lovely animated movies that I've never seen.

So far, my list is Thugaboo: A Miracle on D-Roc's Street and this Tom and Jerry Wonka movie.

Also, I'm gonna check out American Gods too so that I don't go completely insane.

Anyone have any other ideas?