Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

Banana Man posted:

Is clashing in and of itself an action in millennium blades, so that it flips the card that initiates the clash? And if that card is the top card at the time of the clash, is it still the top card for purposes of determining star power?

1) No. A card effect is only an action if it has the word Action in bold at the front of the effect text. (With the sole exception of Character Tournament Powers, which work slightly differently.) While there are Action effects that cause clashes, not all clashes are caused by Action effects. Several cards have Play effects that clash, for example.

2) Yes. If you use any card's Action effect, the card flips down after completing the effect text. The card would still be face up at the time of the clash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medium Style
Oct 11, 2002

lummawks posted:

Just pick someone, doesn't really matter who it is since everyone is throwing out random number of fingers.

I can't just pick someone, I need some themed quirky criteria or maybe an app.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Have a first player marker that's reasonably solid and can be construed to be pointing in a direction, then spin it in the air and see where it lands.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Medium Style posted:

I can't just pick someone, I need some themed quirky criteria or maybe an app.

Follow the silly first player rule for who is zero

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

The End posted:

Any truth to the rumour that FCM may be licensed by a larger publisher?

That is news to them so no truth to that.

Frush
Jun 26, 2008

SilverMike posted:

Which 2 classes are you using where you can only see yourself ever hitting for 3 in a turn? You should each have -some- trick to bump up your damage output even if it's resorting to lost cards. It's a rough fight but you know that going in so play the rest of the scenario accordingly and leave some cards to use against the bosses.

^Gloomhaven stuff, nothing above really spoilery.

We have Mindthief and Cragheart going right now, at level 3. I'm playing Cragheart, and there's a couple attacks that are big (which here I'm calling >3), especially if you get those nice +2 modifiers, but it isn't regular. I'm not 100% about Mindthief, but I think their biggest attack requires an adjacent ally. So it's not about a case of ever hitting above three, it's a case of doing it reliably.

Mini campaign scenario 9: The way I see it, you have to kill the first room quickly. Give the cultists a chance to make spawns and it's pretty much game over since you'll exhaust or their damage will outpace. The next room is tough for our particular combo since we don't have any piercing damage so the spirits are beefy with their shield 2 or 3. Even once we split up, the Mindthief has a total of 8 health, so taking damage is an issue from the boss and the spawn in the room. It feels like the math for two characters here is a bit off, or more likely that there's something I'm missing that makes it easier.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

What game do I recommend to someone to save them from Betrayal at House on the Hill?

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Moriatti posted:

What game do I recommend to someone to save them from Betrayal at House on the Hill?

Mansions of Madness 2nd edition.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Chill la Chill posted:

I want a Catan based on walking dead. You build colonies but the point is that the colonies are overwhelmed and everyone dies anyway, which happens every time you roll a 7.

I thought about this, and I think it can work?

Your resources are types/jobs for people. You could have scavengers (sheep), farmers (wheat), doctors(ore), gunmen (wood), and idk seamstress (brick). The hexes would be different landscapes, so farms, compounds, cities, etc. The robber would be a zombie mini that represents a large horde, which explains why you can't get people from the hexes that it's on. The horde kills a chunk of people if the group is too large, explaining why rolling a 7 forces people to discard half of their hands if over 7 cards.

I think it would be an easy of enough theme swap. I'm surprised it hasn't happened yet.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Shadow225 posted:

I thought about this, and I think it can work?

Your resources are types/jobs for people. You could have scavengers (sheep), farmers (wheat), doctors(ore), gunmen (wood), and idk seamstress (brick). The hexes would be different landscapes, so farms, compounds, cities, etc. The robber would be a zombie mini that represents a large horde, which explains why you can't get people from the hexes that it's on. The horde kills a chunk of people if the group is too large, explaining why rolling a 7 forces people to discard half of their hands if over 7 cards.

I think it would be an easy of enough theme swap. I'm surprised it hasn't happened yet.

mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Since I necro'd the thread, I want to bring attention to some impressions I made about Millennium Blades in the Level 99 Games thread. I want some feedback, so go take a gander if you've played.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

rydiafan posted:

Mansions of Madness 2nd edition.

Right or wrong, it's quite difficult to recommend an £80 game before expansions over a £40 game. I'd recommend Eldritch Horror before I recommended Mansions on that basis, even though they're not quite the same thing.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Frush posted:

I'm not 100% about Mindthief, but I think their biggest attack requires an adjacent ally.

You're thinking of the Scoundrel. Mindthief's pretty independent.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
Hey Bottom Liner since you're the list guy do you have one for best solo games?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Mage Knight

Arkham LCG

Gloomhaven

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

A Feast for Odin, I'd like to add.

Mighty Eris
Mar 24, 2005

Jolly good show, eh old man?

Rad Valtar posted:

Do wargames count?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Mighty Eris posted:

Do wargames count?
You fool! What have you done?!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Rad Valtar posted:

Comanche and Navajo Wars.

Mighty Eris
Mar 24, 2005

Tekopo posted:

You fool! What have you done?!

I just think more people need to hear the good word about Fields of Fire. With a reprint coming and the new rule book out, there's never been a better time to get into the system!

Mighty Eris
Mar 24, 2005

just kidding all wargames are solo games

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit

Gutter Owl posted:

1) No. A card effect is only an action if it has the word Action in bold at the front of the effect text. (With the sole exception of Character Tournament Powers, which work slightly differently.) While there are Action effects that cause clashes, not all clashes are caused by Action effects. Several cards have Play effects that clash, for example.

2) Yes. If you use any card's Action effect, the card flips down after completing the effect text. The card would still be face up at the time of the clash.

Thanks!

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I'm looking for some recommendations on travel friendly board/card games that I can take hiking with me over the next couple of months. I've got a good group I go hiking with and we're starting to burn out on some of the more common games we play like Haggis, Eucher, and Lost Cities (we bring 2 sets and do mini tourneys).

Are there any good lightweight games that fit the bill? Ideally they'd be small enough to pack light and play in a tent.

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I'm looking for some recommendations on travel friendly board/card games that I can take hiking with me over the next couple of months. I've got a good group I go hiking with and we're starting to burn out on some of the more common games we play like Haggis, Eucher, and Lost Cities (we bring 2 sets and do mini tourneys).

Are there any good lightweight games that fit the bill? Ideally they'd be small enough to pack light and play in a tent.
Tichu for sure. No thanks is a another decent small game. I don't know about many others.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Maybe Hive Pocket? I forget how big it is since I have the big version.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

what about a magnetic, folding go board?

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.

BaseballPCHiker posted:

If you only mean lightweight in the physical sense, Pax Pamir fits in a small box.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Decent tiny games for more than 2 players I can think of:

Mint Works
Hanabi (non-deluxe)
Love Letter is itty-bitty, but won't keep you entertained very long. Coup might be a little better in this regard.
Cosmic Wimpout is just 5 dice, but note that it is traditionally played stoned.
A lot of the Oink! games fit in tiny boxes and look very good (though I haven't tried them).

And I mean there's a lot of junk like Fluxx that's 1 deck but not very interesting in gameplay. This is something I've looked for too.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

BaseballPCHiker posted:

If you like eurogames, Mottainai is a pretty good game that squeezes a fairly meaty euro-style engine builder into a single ~60 card deck. the "deluxe" version comes with 2 decks so you can play 2 2-player games at once or one larger game.

Port Royal is a push-your-luck card game that's light but fun and can play up to 5.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I'll +1 Hive Pocket, Hanabi, and Coup for tent gaming. Battleline/Schotten Totten is similar to Lost Cities but a little meatier. Flip City is a very simple but fun little deck builder, or Valley of the Kings for a real deckbuilder in a small deck. Along with previously mentioned, Tak travels extremely well in a pouch and can be played anywhere just like Hive (board is entirely optional, pieces are solid material that you can throw in the dirt, etc).

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

One fun 'First Player' choosing mechanic is Taiwan Snackbar's, a game all about eating a ton of Taiwanese food and trying to be the last one standing. It's "the person who looks like the biggest eater".

Not awkward at all!

Another small game:
Lost Legacy, which uses most of Love Letter's mechanics with a bit more guessing and tracking, made by the same person. Basic set w/bag costs just shy of $7 on CSI.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Castles of Mad King Ludwig and Quadropolis were good games for people who like games where you build pretty things, right? How heavy are them?

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

BaseballPCHiker posted:

If you like trick-takers Sticheln is a top-tier one. If you can't find it you can play with a Rage deck which is much cheaper and often available at places like 5 Below.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I'll add my votes for both Mint Works and Valley of the Kings. The Oink games I've played are all extremely lightweight filler/party games.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Ravendas posted:

Another small game:
Lost Legacy, which uses most of Love Letter's mechanics with a bit more guessing and tracking, made by the same person. Basic set w/bag costs just shy of $7 on CSI.

I want to say there's 12 decks of this available right now, I have ten of them. My favorite one is the Vorpal Sword deck, but it comes packaged with my least favorite, Whitegold Spire.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

cenotaph posted:

If you like trick-takers Sticheln is a top-tier one. If you can't find it you can play with a Rage deck which is much cheaper and often available at places like 5 Below.

Rage is an unremarkable trick-taking game, but it has six suits of cards, going from 0-15, with a few special cards, and it's dirt cheap. This makes it the best deck for proxying other card games. (some Sticheln decks go 0-18 in six suits, but not the one you can easily get.)

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/107893/1-sheet-compact-rules-40-games-playable-sticheln-r

https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/1907/games-playable-rage-deck-not-ccg-please-add

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Oh yeah, I should have mentioned Flip City. I really like that little game, and it's hard to convince people to try it.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Azran posted:

Castles of Mad King Ludwig and Quadropolis were good games for people who like games where you build pretty things, right? How heavy are them?

Relevant side-note that doesn't answer your question: I have Castles and I like it quite a lot, but it is my conviction that Isle of Skye does everything Castles does except better, while taking away the infuriating RNG that comes with the bonus cards in Castles.

As for your question, I'd describe Castles as medium-light. There a bit of rules overhead with what room completion does, but the gameplay loop is really simple (master architect prices rooms -> everybody buys a room and pays him; architect pays the bank -> end-of-round maintenance). Being the master architect can cause AP.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Azran posted:

Castles is light. Easy to learn and room to get good with maximizing how/when you complete rooms. Some things might require consulting the manual about like basement tiles but in general it doesn't take long to understand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Hive is my go to because there's no board so you can play on the beach, a bed, etc. But if you take it on a plane, pull it out of the suitcase for security because Bakelite looks kinda like a bomb.