Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Executive Decision owns.

I remember an older interview about the movie where Seagal was like "yeah I changed my mind because ***THE FANS*** learned that my character was going to die and there was a mass outcry I mean how could I disappoint the fans by dying this was the hardest decision of my career" like LMAO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I have a hard time believing Seagal ever had "fans". Of course he was already rapidly descending towards his modern reputation as a fat mumu wearing rear end in a top hat by the time I became aware of him.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
He basically had the same career trajectory as JCVD: was hot poo poo in the late 80s and early 90s, let his ego take over, proceeded to not be hot poo poo.

Unlike JCVD, though, Seagal never pulled his head out of his rear end, never learned how to act, and never developed a sense of humor, so while JCVD's being finally let out of movie jail, Seagal's serving a life sentence.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Yeah, if you're gonna have Stallone's ego you basically need a Rocky and Rambo to back it up. Or become more self-aware like JCVD.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Those Seagal MadTV skits were great.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
All this action star ego talk reminds me of how Keanu Reeves has been starring in action movies for 25+ years without any of those issues. Almost quietly too, I bet most people don't think about how long ago 1991 was(Point Break).

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Basebf555 posted:

All this action star ego talk reminds me of how Keanu Reeves has been starring in action movies for 25+ years without any of those issues. Almost quietly too, I bet most people don't think about how long ago 1991 was(Point Break).

It's pretty heartening that the general opinion of Reeves has turned around from "Whoa"/surfer dude jokes to considering him a good dude who makes dope movies.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

There's a very good documentary about Toshiro Mifune on Netflix right now and the narrator was real familiar. I looked it up and it was Keanu. Dude's got a real nice voice.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Doesn't he also narrate that doc about film vs digital?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

LesterGroans posted:

It's pretty heartening that the general opinion of Reeves has turned around from "Whoa"/surfer dude jokes to considering him a good dude who makes dope movies.

I mean, I personally felt that way about him even before John Wick, a lot of that probably has to do with my love for Coppola's Dracula. His performance in that never really bothered me for some reason. John Wick was such an amazing surprise though, it's been so much fun to watch Reeves burst back into the scene like that.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Apparently Reeves is a genuinely nice guy irl and has little to no ego and no role is too small for him while giving it his ding dang best at all times

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Basebf555 posted:

Keanu Reeves seems a little too... versatile for me to really put him in the action star category. Maybe about a third of his filmography, at most, is action stuff.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

LesterGroans posted:

I don't care how many duds he has made or will make in the future. Keanu Reeves has had a lifetime pass since Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I got really annoyed with all the advertising for The Day the Earth Stood Still remake. He seemed like he was at peak wooden acting there. Maybe that was the point, but I really hated all those ads.

Also, 47 Ronin looked terrible.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Casimir Radon posted:

I got really annoyed with all the advertising for The Day the Earth Stood Still remake. He seemed like he was at peak wooden acting there. Maybe that was the point, but I really hated all those ads.

He was supposed to be an inhuman space alien that was distant from humans while trying to impose his will on them.

Movie still stinks even if the casting was perfect.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
47 Ronin was really bad, yea. He's definitely shown he's capable of making bad movies.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Calaveron posted:

Apparently Reeves is a genuinely nice guy irl and has little to no ego and no role is too small for him while giving it his ding dang best at all times

He's great in his small role in the Neon Demon.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

He basically had the same career trajectory as JCVD: was hot poo poo in the late 80s and early 90s, let his ego take over, proceeded to not be hot poo poo.

Unlike JCVD, though, Seagal never pulled his head out of his rear end, never learned how to act, and never developed a sense of humor, so while JCVD's being finally let out of movie jail, Seagal's serving a life sentence.

Isn't he fairly popular in Russia for whatever reason?

I remember when they added a Steven Seagal captain to World of Warships (terribly voice acted by Steven Seagal).

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

wdarkk posted:

Isn't he fairly popular in Russia for whatever reason?

I remember when they added a Steven Seagal captain to World of Warships (terribly voice acted by Steven Seagal).

That should frankly tell you more about Russia than it does about Seagal.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

That should frankly tell you more about Russia than it does about Seagal.
Russia likes to collect washed up shitbag celebrities from the outside world. See: Seagal and Depardieu. Probably somebody else I've forgotten as well.

They're kind of like Scientology in that aspect.

"Hey you should check us out. John Travolta is a member!"

* Runs far far away.

Casimir Radon fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jul 6, 2017

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

LesterGroans posted:

There's a really good book about Steven Seagal, his films and his different eras called Seagalogy

Written by the only good film reviewer, Outlaw Vern.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

He was already solidly in the direct to DVD arena by the time the whole "Steven Seagal, legit badass" t.v. show was airing. And he still is there to this day, you'll still find low budget action flicks starring Seagal pop up on streaming services regularly.

Under Siege 2 made 100 million at the box office in 1995, but then Glimmer Man and Fire Down Below were both flops so I guess that was it for him. Maybe a guy with a different reputation would have been given more chances but Seagal was a legendary dick.

Also, his whole career was the result of a bet. Some producer or agent bet another that he could turn anyone into a star. It's the same sort of process that gave us this song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKX1EY6dkIY Be warned that that's more or less the worst song ever.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Speaking of JCVD, he's doing a retirement tour through his old franchises, resurrecting the Universal Soldier movies with two surprisingly excellent entries, and doing a new Kickboxer movie that stars at least 3 UFC champions, allowing George St Pierre to fulfill his lifelong dream of pretending to get beat up by JCVD.

Calaveron posted:

My understanding is that there's a few movies that pretty much only got made because he'll work for a much smaller fee than he's worth.

Casimir Radon posted:

Somebody on here gave the background on that movie. I wish I'd copied it, but it boiled down to endless rewrites, the budget going up and down, directors coming and going before some poor first timer gets it. For whatever reason, though, they just let that guy do more or less whatever he wanted. So you've got this mega budget movie that is, strangely, exactly what the guy wanted to make.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Casimir Radon posted:

Russia likes to collect washed up shitbag celebrities from the outside world. See: Seagal and Depardieu. Probably somebody else I've forgotten as well.

They're kind of like Scientology in that aspect.

"Hey you should check us out. John Travolta is a member!"

* Runs far far away.

Oliver Stone is who you're thinking of. And apparently Fred Durst has a house in the Crimea.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Snowman_McK posted:

My understanding is that there's a few movies that pretty much only got made because he'll work for a much smaller fee than he's worth.

I know he's uncredited in Freaked, where he looks like a wolf man.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Detective No. 27 posted:

I know he's uncredited in Freaked, where he looks like a wolf man.

*Dog Boy

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Basebf555 posted:

47 Ronin was really bad, yea. He's definitely shown he's capable of making bad movies.

Didn't 47 Ronin get weird reshoot/cuts after the studio saw it and Reeves wasn't in it at all

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Yeah, and they had to pay a bunch of extra money for that. It was after they fired the director after he had already filmed a bunch of scenes and had already done reshoots, so this film basically had a double dose of reshoots.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

sbaldrick posted:

Didn't 47 Ronin get weird reshoot/cuts after the studio saw it and Reeves wasn't in it at all

Yeah, despite his limited screen time being what Reeves wanted for the role the studio refused to release the movie unless his time was tripled.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Reeves also directed a good action movie, Man of Tai Chi. He has a pretty good fight scene in it too.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

Reeves also directed a good action movie, Man of Tai Chi. He has a pretty good fight scene in it too.

The lead in that was one of the goons in the Chateau fight in the second Matrix movie. I like that a decent chunk of Reeves' post matrix career has been getting people he worked with on that work.

Keanowns.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Yeah, despite his limited screen time being what Reeves wanted for the role the studio refused to release the movie unless his time was tripled.

Was this the movie with the super badass skull tattoo dude with the revolver on the poster but he was only in the movie for like two seconds? Is there like a director's cut or something of the movie out?

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
I'm going to love Valerian so much but it's going to bomb so hard.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Snowman_McK posted:

The lead in that was one of the goons in the Chateau fight in the second Matrix movie. I like that a decent chunk of Reeves' post matrix career has been getting people he worked with on that work.

Keanowns.

Tiger Chen is getting more work now. He's in some movie called Triple Threat which also stars Iko Uwais (the guy from The Raid) Scott Adkins, Michael Jai White, and Tony Jaa.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
Just on how awesome Keanu is chat,

There's a video that's been around for a while about just how nice and non-ego Keanu is. He often takes public transit / the subway to get around and there's a clip of it where he gives up his seat to a lady or something who had a heavy bag. He also supposedly donates a huge portion of his income to charity.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

PotatoManJack posted:

Just on how awesome Keanu is chat,

There's a video that's been around for a while about just how nice and non-ego Keanu is. He often takes public transit
/ the subway to get around and there's a clip of it where he gives up his seat to a lady or something who had a heavy bag. He also supposedly donates a huge portion of his income to charity.

He's also had a really tragic personal life. He's a good dude and I hope he makes tons of movies for years to come.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
He's also set for life. He got points on the gross of the Matrix sequels, and so doesn't have to work again, ever. As a result, instead of trying to chase another, bigger payday, he just does whatever.

Oh yeah, and he gave a huge chunk of his fee to the special effects on the Matrix sequels.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Well that was a waste of money.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

MariusLecter posted:

Well that was a waste of money.

Say what you will about the entire matrix trilogy, but the car chase scene in reloaded was really cool.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I remain sad that Keanu's project to get a live-action Cowboy Bebop movie made failed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Godzilla anime teaser

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dF83zsTIMQ

• Locked thread