Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
https://np.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/6kxgz9/land_lord_is_telling_us_the_house_we_live_in_is/
Land Lord is telling us the house we live in is about to be foreclosed and we've never missed a payment. Help please (self.legaladvice)
submitted 2 days ago by KyriiTheAtlantean

quote:

Okay so my mom agreed to a rent to own like situation. As a family we've all contributed to the well being of this house financially, and we've been on top of our payments never been late.
We have around 20,000$ left, the landlord gave us the Ownership Papers, and just last month, we paid her 2500$ for the next four months, we're paid up until November and now she's saying she got a foreclosure letter
Wtf. We don't have anywhere to go, we FINALLY got in a house for the first time in our lives and we've did everything right, she's worked really hard and this situation really sucks.
Is this even legal? Any insight or advice?

Rent-to-own on a house should send up as many scam red flags as "paying the IRS with wired Western Union funds or itunes gift cards"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Because, like a car payment, it's just something you pay a couple hundred dollars on every month until you die.

Gonna be more than just a couple hundred if a significant fraction of their loans are private.

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer

canyoneer posted:

https://np.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/6kxgz9/land_lord_is_telling_us_the_house_we_live_in_is/
Land Lord is telling us the house we live in is about to be foreclosed and we've never missed a payment. Help please (self.legaladvice)
submitted 2 days ago by KyriiTheAtlantean

Rent-to-own on a house should send up as many scam red flags as "paying the IRS with wired Western Union funds or itunes gift cards"

There are few cases where I'd entertain the thought. My FIL offered us a condo that's been "in the family" for a rent-to-own type thing where he would have taken 100% of our rent towards equity in it. I ended up getting an assignment on the the other side of the country so declined but it was a tempting offer. That said, that's probably the only situation I'd entertain it. This situation just drives that home. That really sucks for the family though, I don't know the terms of their contract but I hope there's some recourse for them there.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
Fear not, an Estonian company has solved the UK's housing crisis: https://www.dezeen.com/2017/07/05/kodasema-koda-house-launches-tiny-25-square-metres-prefab-home-uk/

For only £150,000 they'll plop one of these down wherever you like and plumb it in and everything! What a steal!

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

High urban housing costs are generally more of a political issue than a problem with construction costs.

Once you build out to the limits of sprawl, the only way to add housing is density, and if you can't go up or put more units per acre, you get more expensive housing even if you can get a free mobile home for any vacant lot.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

KingSlime posted:

I then came to goons for advice (generally not recommended but hey), and I was quickly corrected out of that suggestion amidst a lot of insults. This was nearly ten years ago (I ended up going to the local state uni and graduating with less than 30k of debt for a BA+MA, thanks for saving my rear end from a life of miserable debt, goons).

Are you saying that you made a life - changing decision based on the guidance of goons ?

And that it made your entire life better?

That's got to be a first.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
More of the security clearance stuff please, that is gold.

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Ask and ye shall receive. This stuff is just gold but I wish there were more context sometimes:

quote:

Applicant's statement of reasons alleges his debts were discharged under Chapter 7 of the Bankruptcy Code in April 2015, and a state obtained a $12,201 judgment against Applicant in 2014. His bankruptcy included $213,857 in federal and state tax debt that had been delinquent since 2010. Financial considerations security concerns are not mitigated. Access to classified information is denied.

quote:

Applicant's financial difficulties, attributed to a separation and eventual divorce, as well as several surgeries, initially arose in 2011, and increased during the ensuing years. For unspecified reasons, other than the "snowball started rolling downhill" and he got behind in his bills, accounts became delinquent and were placed for collection. In several instances, his debts were charged off. A vehicle was repossessed. His wages were garnished. Applicant has still not filed his federal income tax return for the tax year 2011. Applicant contends he has sufficient funds to resolve his delinquent debts, but finds it easier to simply wait for garnishment rather than to actively resolve the debts by establishing payment plans. He has failed to generate any good-faith efforts to resolve any of his debts. It is unclear if Applicant's financial problems are under control. Applicant's actions continue to cast doubt on his current reliability, trustworthiness, and good judgment. Eligibility is denied.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
I'm amazed at how remarkably even-handed some of those rulings are as well. You get things like "Appellant freely admits to massive bongrips of jazz cabbage in college, but no longer associates with his friends of that time in his life and hasn't lit one up since, clearance granted" but then you'll see a similar situation where the appellant has been evasive about their past actions and they get a great big NOPE for their troubles.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

C.H.O.M.E posted:

More of the security clearance stuff please, that is gold.

How about this one?

quote:

Applicant's history of financial indebtedness caused by his real estate investments, his ignorance of the IRS laws, and the downturn in the real estate market resulted in a foreclosure, a short sale, excessive unpaid Federal taxes, tax liens and money owed to a creditor for an equity line of credit. Although he has tried to resolve his debts by obtaining a hard money loan, he remains excessively indebted. Simply shuffling money from one creditor to another is insufficient to show mitigation.

quote:

Applicant testified that in July 2006, when he purchased property B, he and his wife withdrew money from their 401K savings under the hardship exclusion to purchase their primary residence. This was a tax free withdrawal at the time. In May 2009, when they purchased property C, they did it again. This time Applicant withdrew $100,000 from his 401k savings account under the hardship provision, and his wife withdrew $50,000 from her 401K to purchase their primary residence. Unbeknowst to the Applicant, the IRS had changed the laws, and the hardship exclusion was no longer tax free to purchase a primary residence. Sometime in 2011, Applicant learned that he owed the IRS in back taxes, fees, penalties, and interest that had accrued to about $98,000. Applicant hired several attorneys to investigate the matter, and spent more money trying to avoid paying it, only to find out that the attorneys were all disrepretable.

Let's ignore the fact that he's pulling money out of his 401k; this guy spent more money to find out that the amount he owed to the IRS would still be the same no matter what.

quote:

In 2012, the bank foreclosed upon property A, which had a loan of $599,999. Applicant had tried to have the mortgage refinanced, but was unsuccessful. His attorney advised him to stop making the house payments in order to qualify for a loan
modification. However, in December 2012, the bank foreclosed on the house, and it sold for $413,000 at auction. Applicant contends that the auction sale satisfied the debt he owed on the loan to the bank.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

kimcicle posted:

In 2012, the bank foreclosed upon property A, which had a loan of $599,999. Applicant had tried to have the mortgage refinanced, but was unsuccessful. His attorney advised him to stop making the house payments in order to qualify for a loan
modification. However, in December 2012, the bank foreclosed on the house, and it sold for $413,000 at auction. Applicant contends that the auction sale satisfied the debt he owed on the loan to the bank.

Ahahahaha

"I owed the bank money for my home loan, the bank now owns my house, that means we're square, right?" :saddowns:

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Can't the guy with a quarter million in student loans elect income based repayment, then just have the remaining balance forgiven after 15 years of public employment? It seems like the main downside is that any non-public job offer would have to be really lucrative to be worthwhile.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

potatoducks posted:

I think most travel agents are free if you do the legwork yourself and just use them to book a hotel reservation with their virtuoso benefits.

There is definitely a luxury travel agent market out there.

My parents use a travel agent every year when going to China. It is usually a 6 week long trip with multiple stops in several cities/countries, so it is better to have someone plan it all out in advance then two 70+ people who can't speak nor read the languages there.

edit: Also I can talk about them being BWM for teaching summer classes at a university in China.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Breetai posted:

I'm amazed at how remarkably even-handed some of those rulings are as well. You get things like "Appellant freely admits to massive bongrips of jazz cabbage in college, but no longer associates with his friends of that time in his life and hasn't lit one up since, clearance granted" but then you'll see a similar situation where the appellant has been evasive about their past actions and they get a great big NOPE for their troubles.

Lying or omitting information is a pretty great way to get denied clearances by people with the full investigatory power of the federal government behind them.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Breetai posted:

Ahahahaha

"I owed the bank money for my home loan, the bank now owns my house, that means we're square, right?" :saddowns:

In some states, yes.

quote:

The following states are non-recourse states for most residential mortgages:
Alaska
Arizona
California
Hawaii
Minnesota
Montana
Nevada (for most residential mortgages initiated from October 2009 onward)
North Carolina
North Dakota
Oklahoma
Oregon
Washington

Other states may be non-recourse (they may not try to collect on the deficiency) for certain types of debts.

One-action states are:
California
Idaho
Montana
Nevada
New York
Utah
https://www.arklawgroup.com/blog/how-do-i-know-whether-my-mortgage-loan-is-a-recourse-or-non-recourse-loan

I know a number of people who just walked away from their mortgage in AZ during the housing crash as a strategic default, leaving the bank holding the bag and the thousands of dollars of deficit.

Good with money and ethically questionable, which also accurately describes the typical state of the bank on the other side of the mortgage.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Good Parmesan posted:

A healthy 1,100-pound horse will eat feed and hay costing from $100 to more than $250 per month on average.

Doesn't have to cost that much to feed your horses :colbert:

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Breetai posted:

Ahahahaha

It's true in non-recourse states.

E:fb

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Breetai posted:

If they barred every college student who smoked marijuana at college, they'd have about 3 valid applicants per year.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Can't the guy with a quarter million in student loans elect income based repayment, then just have the remaining balance forgiven after 15 years of public employment? It seems like the main downside is that any non-public job offer would have to be really lucrative to be worthwhile.

if it's all public loans, yeah. 10 years of paying 10% of adjusted gross income , which with the kids would probably be under a hundred bucks a month. gradplus loans + PAYE + pslf is a steal

It's also weird to see all that foreclosure stuff since to my knowledge the deficiency between the sale price of a house and amount owed is almost never sought and is usually just written off, and that's in a recourse state. Hell, even multi mega millionaires never got tracked down because the banks were too lazy to collect their millions.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Well the catch is that $50k of their debt is private loans (and probably growing, unless they're making interest payments while the loans are in deferral), so they're really kind of royally hosed no matter what.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

canyoneer posted:

The following states are non-recourse states for most residential mortgages:
Nevada (for most residential mortgages initiated from October 2009 onward)

Interesting! Presumably this is intended to encourage banks to be more cautious in their mortgage lending, post-Las Vegas housing meltdown?

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Sic Semper Goon posted:

If they barred every college student who smoked marijuana at college, they'd have about 3 valid applicants per year.

Or it'd be wall-to-wall Mormons. (Actually, have heard that Mormons are over-represented in the CIA.)

They used to be a lot more strict about prior drug use, but I think 10-15 years ago they relaxed it for exactly the reason you mentioned.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
The US Military is apparently considering relaxing marijuana drug use restrictions for recruits because they're having a hard time finding drone pilots.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Or it'd be wall-to-wall Mormons. (Actually, have heard that Mormons are over-represented in the CIA.)

They used to be a lot more strict about prior drug use, but I think 10-15 years ago they relaxed it for exactly the reason you mentioned.

They don't care about your sordid past/present (literally including pedo anime poo poo if my memory of these things serves correct) if you're honest about it. They only care how susceptible to blackmail and bribery you are.

Kanish
Jun 17, 2004

GoutPatrol posted:

My parents use a travel agent every year when going to China. It is usually a 6 week long trip with multiple stops in several cities/countries, so it is better to have someone plan it all out in advance then two 70+ people who can't speak nor read the languages there.

edit: Also I can talk about them being BWM for teaching summer classes at a university in China.

Yeah I was trying to be cheap when planning my honeymoon to Peru. Scheduling all the domestic flights, car services, trains, tickets, tours was a poo poo load more work than I anticipated. Just trying to get the dates and times lined up, determining how long it takes to get from point a to point b, getting the right tickets at the right times was no fun at all on top of the wedding planning. I wish I sprung for a travel agent. Not to mention having someone to call if something got missed / cancelled.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

spog posted:

Are you saying that you made a life - changing decision based on the guidance of goons ?

And that it made your entire life better?

That's got to be a first.

The system works! Thank you Zybourne Financial Services for putting my life on the right track

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

KingSlime posted:

The system works! Thank you Zybourne Financial Services for putting my life on the right track

Johnny Five-Horses.

Can't believe it took me this long to get that one out.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Kanish posted:

Yeah I was trying to be cheap when planning my honeymoon to Peru. Scheduling all the domestic flights, car services, trains, tickets, tours was a poo poo load more work than I anticipated. Just trying to get the dates and times lined up, determining how long it takes to get from point a to point b, getting the right tickets at the right times was no fun at all on top of the wedding planning. I wish I sprung for a travel agent. Not to mention having someone to call if something got missed / cancelled.

Getting off the BWM track here, and it is a matter of personal preference, but you generally don't need to go through that level of planning and not doing so takes a lot of stress out of a trip. Get tickets to/from your destination, maybe a hotel for the first few days. Have a general outline for your trip instead of a specific itinerary, though do your research and book anything in advance that may not have occupancy when you get there (passes to parks, etc). Just about everything else can be arranged as you go - and you'll be able to make decisions based on information on the ground rather than having to leave some picturesque village or being unable to check out a destination you hadn't heard of because you booked tickets on the next train three weeks ago.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Papa John Misty posted:

They don't care about your sordid past/present (literally including pedo anime poo poo if my memory of these things serves correct) if you're honest about it. They only care how susceptible to blackmail and bribery you are.

I definitely remember reading that there was a hard limit to how many times you could have smoked dope in the past for agencies like FBI/CIA. Again, I'm talking about 10-15 years ago, not now.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Papa John Misty posted:

If you're honest, reliable, and not susceptible to bribery and blackmail like you say it's very hard to get denied for a clearance. It really is a low bar, but being horrible with money often ticks several of those boxes.

If you're in a lot of debt, you show poor judgment and are susceptible to bribery. People are often ashamed about it, so they often lie about it. And if you've done something really embarrassing to get into that much debt, or did something like embezzlement to get out of it, you might be open to blackmail.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

DarkHorse posted:

If you're honest, reliable, and not susceptible to bribery and blackmail like you say it's very hard to get denied for a clearance. It really is a low bar, but being horrible with money often ticks several of those boxes.

If you're in a lot of debt, you show poor judgment and are susceptible to bribery. People are often ashamed about it, so they often lie about it. And if you've done something really embarrassing to get into that much debt, or did something like embezzlement to get out of it, you might be open to blackmail.
This is 100% true. One of the online training courses they make you do in the Marines covers what kinds of people are susceptible to influence by foreign party. 95% of the indicators are finance-related.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I definitely remember reading that there was a hard limit to how many times you could have smoked dope in the past for agencies like FBI/CIA. Again, I'm talking about 10-15 years ago, not now.

You can still see it in the rejects page. Generally you need to have been clean for some time, the biggest no-no seems to be doing drugs while you had security clearance in the past, since presumably you could have been easily blackmailed and/or spilled national secrets while on a bad trip.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
So if you are a terrible person and horrible with money, be upfront about it and it helps to have no shame.

Much like the guy with the most security clearance in the U.S.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

His reliance on foreign financing (because American banks know better at this point) was a potential issue called out during the election. But then he provided the bare minimum of the financial disclosures required and people didn't care anyway and here we are.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
I had a Secret-level security clearance (one of the lower ones) and I had to turn over a bunch of financial information and then they told me that they already had all of it and just wanted to see if I would turn in everything.

They also interview your family, previous employer, and two references that you provide them (I did my neighbors) about a bunch of crazy stuff.

- Does x spend a lot of time out of the country?
- Has x ever lied to you? About what?
- Do you think x is a moral person? Why?
- Has x ever had a sexual or romantic relationship with a non-US citizen?
- Has x ever asked you for money? For what?
- Has x ever had unpaid bills?
- Has x ever been in a fight with a spouse?
- Has x ever taken a vacation overseas for more than a week?
- Does x have any family overseas?
- Would you describe x as a friendly person?
- Why do you think x picked you as a reference?
- Has x ever expressed interest in overthrowing the United States government?
- Does x speak any languages other than English?

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jul 6, 2017

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Breetai posted:

Ahahahaha

Sometimes it does, that is a question of state foreclosure law

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

- Has x ever taken a vacation overseas for more than a week?

Who the gently caress takes a vacation overseas for less than a week?

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

- Has x ever expressed interest in overthrowing the United States government?

I assume for the CIA the correct answer is "no, not the United States government" :ninja:

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Inept posted:

It's not like it disqualifies you but they'll want to know what you were doing. Especially if it was a three month vacation in Moscow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Inept posted:

Drug smugglers!