Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

IBlameRoadSuess posted:

Go to the right. All the way to the right. In the flooded king's station, at the bottom right flooded station platform, you can swim through a hidden tunnel, follow that til you reach the new area.,

I don't have swimming yet. Went back to check the areas I thought I'd cleared, so now I've just got to the area after mantis lords so I'm hoping I'll find it there :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
You can always swim. You only need an item to swim through acid.

IBlameRoadSuess
Feb 20, 2012

Fucking technology...

At least I HAVE THIS!

ilmucche posted:

I don't have swimming yet. Went back to check the areas I thought I'd cleared, so now I've just got to the area after mantis lords so I'm hoping I'll find it there :)

The area you have to swim through is not acidic. The hollow knight can swim in water in the city of tears without burning up, but the path you're on is a good start.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

IBlameRoadSuess posted:

The area you have to swim through is not acidic. The hollow knight can swim in water in the city of tears without burning up, but the path you're on is a good start.

As it turns out I didn't need to go swimming. Found another way there.
Deepnest blows, I don't think I'll go back unless I absolutely have to.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The first time I went to Kingdom's Edge I heard the buzzing of the Hive and saw the giant fly enemies, went "nope" and walked right back to the tram. I thought it was going to be the Hollow Knight equivalent of Blighttown and some awful place.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013
Yeah Kingdom's Edge was one of the last ones I found but that was because I put off Deepnest for a while. That said it has some of the absolute best music and atmosphere and it's absolutely one of my favorite zones. Deepnest for all as interesting as it could have been was just underwhelming.

There's just not enough content in Deepnest compared to other zones I feel despite having some cool npcs in it.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

JuniperCake posted:

Yeah Kingdom's Edge was one of the last ones I found but that was because I put off Deepnest for a while. That said it has some of the absolute best music and atmosphere and it's absolutely one of my favorite zones. Deepnest for all as interesting as it could have been was just underwhelming.

There's just not enough content in Deepnest compared to other zones I feel despite having some cool npcs in it.

Have you found the hidden web?

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jul 5, 2017

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

Discendo Vox posted:

Have you found the hidden web?

I dunno about anybody else, but this doesn't sound too familiar. Could you elaborate, please?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

dancingbears posted:

I dunno about anybody else, but this doesn't sound too familiar. Could you elaborate, please?

There's a super-obscure room that teases a future DLC hidden inside a hidden area inside a hidden area in Deepnest.

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

Discendo Vox posted:

There's a super-obscure room that teases a future DLC hidden inside a hidden area inside a hidden area in Deepnest.

Oh, the that place with the weird orb? I had forgotten about that thing! So that's what it was?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

dancingbears posted:

Oh, the that place with the weird orb? I had forgotten about that thing! So that's what it was?

There's more to it.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I loved Deepnest. Its my favorite area in the game. The only thing I found disappointing was that Nosk was such a chump.

Well I was also disappointed that Herrah the Beast wasn't a boss, but none of the dreamers are. I'm not sure if that was a thematic choice or a "we don't have the budget for this" one. If it was the latter, you'd think they would of just cut out the bosses preceding them instead.

Honestly the dreamers are just weird to me. You'd think they would have a much bigger presence in the game given their story significance.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jul 6, 2017

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

I mean just about everyone's presence is subdued, since there's very little direct exposition, and you rarely interact directly with just about anyone - even the ones you do talk to, few but the Moth and Hornet directly tell you 'hey, this is what's up.' All the dreamers have enough stuff around them, and in their snippets of text, that you can sort of get an implication of their situation and what would have driven them to sacrifice themselves. Spelling it out anymore would be sort of heavy-handed, I think.

Herrah bound herself due to a bargain made with the King for a child. Lurien is a devout believer in the king - probably especially because she's a prominent figure in high society in Hallownest, Monomon was a scholar who feared an end of diversity in thought (but possibly regretted creating a static and unchanging world? Hard to tell from sentence fragments)

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Ambivalent posted:

I mean just about everyone's presence is subdued, since there's very little direct exposition, and you rarely interact directly with just about anyone - even the ones you do talk to, few but the Moth and Hornet directly tell you 'hey, this is what's up.' All the dreamers have enough stuff around them, and in their snippets of text, that you can sort of get an implication of their situation and what would have driven them to sacrifice themselves. Spelling it out anymore would be sort of heavy-handed, I think.

Herrah bound herself due to a bargain made with the King for a child. Lurien is a devout believer in the king - probably especially because she's a prominent figure in high society in Hallownest, Monomon was a scholar who feared an end of diversity in thought (but possibly regretted creating a static and unchanging world? Hard to tell from sentence fragments)

To detail Herrah further, the child that the bargain was made to create was Hornet.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Look when I heard the name Herrah THE BEAST I wanted to get a really awesome boss fight out of them. The stalker devouts being the toughest enemies in the game only made me want that fight even more.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Johnny Joestar posted:

as someone who enjoyed super meat boy quite a lot i kind of bounced off of the white palace because hollow knight isn't a game set up for you to continuously retry 1-hit 'death' scenarios. unless you use the regen charm, which means you have to stand around with your thumb up your rear end after every attempt if you want to keep going without having to start over from the last bench. it was just weirdly incongruous with the rest of the game. at least with the coliseum you had a chance to utilize your array of charms and try out different things instead of ramming your head into a buzzsaw repeatedly until you start going snowblind from all the white

Anyone who tells you to use the honey charm is an rear end in a top hat (or just ignorant and didn't know about other charms, I guess.) I tried it once, for one puzzle, because I was curious, and the amount of downtime drove me crazy.

You want the charm that gives you Soul for getting hit and the charm that doubles your healing from using Focus Soul. Technically it isn't infinitely sustainable but if you're actually getting to the point where that's a problem it's probably time to put the game down for the day and come back fresh.

Anyways I liked White Palace, and it's not really that bad, it's, like, probably on par with the Light version of one of the middle worlds from Super Meat Boy. The only problem is it goes on too long without anything to interrupt it. (The Collosseum has the exact same problem -- a lot of fun fights, made significantly worse by the bad decision to make it an endurance run.)

Discendo Vox posted:

Haha, oh man, I found this and just figured it was something I didn't have the right power-ups for, and then completely forgot about it. Had to check a video to make sure we were talking about the same thing.

I knew there was no way they'd put a Stalker Devout in a tunnel and not have anything behind it, though.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Jul 6, 2017

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Internet Kraken posted:

Look when I heard the name Herrah THE BEAST I wanted to get a really awesome boss fight out of them. The stalker devouts being the toughest enemies in the game only made me want that fight even more.

stalking devouts aren't tough, they're just tedious when they're in narrow corridors

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Bought this game in the Steam Sale and just finished it.

Holy moly – I honestly think it's a masterpiece. Don't think I've ever played a game where everything is just so consistent, from the art style to the music to the monster/character design to the level design etc ... probably one of the most immersive and beautiful games I've ever played.

It remained consistently challenging from beginning to end which was great too.

Honestly can't believe that this was cobbled together by a few Australian dudes in their basement.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

SirSamVimes posted:

stalking devouts aren't tough, they're just tedious when they're in narrow corridors

They hosed me up more than any other enemy (barring the giant fleas in Kingdom's Edge), though I did Deep Nest really early with only one nail upgrade.

They're a lot easier when you have shadow dash and can just phase through them.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

You can get the first ending without ever going to Kingdom's Edge, which I did my first time. This also applies to Queen's Gardens.

I knew it existed because I spent some time looking at the wiki instead of wandering around blind, but I just thought "I wonder if I can..." and I did.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

They hosed me up more than any other enemy (barring the giant fleas in Kingdom's Edge), though I did Deep Nest really early with only one nail upgrade.

They're a lot easier when you have shadow dash and can just phase through them.

I agree that Stalker devouts are tough but, they aren't the worst. Not while Primal fricken Aspids are in the game.

I swear, give one of those things a boss's health, and make it's shots do 2 damage each and I'm pretty sure you've just created the hardest boss in the game. Or at the very least, the world's most frustrating boss.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

JuniperCake posted:

I agree that Stalker devouts are tough but, they aren't the worst. Not while Primal fricken Aspids are in the game.

I swear, give one of those things a boss's health, and make it's shots do 2 damage each and I'm pretty sure you've just created the hardest boss in the game. Or at the very least, the world's most frustrating boss.

I don't want to sound like a conspiracy nut, but I think somehow the devs studied my brain at a research facility to learn exactly how I jump in video games so they could space the triple shot EXACTLY in such a way that I get hit every time. EVERY FUCKIN TIME

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
Primal aspids:
1 wait for it to fire.
2 move a bit left or right.
3 attack.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Man, watcher knight is a big lovely gangbang. No idea how to approach the fight other than flail and hope for the best

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
This game is really good. I am not very experienced in metroidvanias and I picked it up due to the massive recommendations, and I really like it, it is not easy for me me but fair.
The only thing that is confusing to me is that there is no tells where to proceed after picking up a new power. I just got the mantis claw and dashmaster but I can't figure out where to go next, because I can't remember all the places I realized I need a new power to continue.
And the sparsity of fast travel station doesn't make tracking everything down easier. But I'll get there.

Also, I just assembled my first mask and got the achievement "Protected". Knowing this game was made by goons, it made me chuckle.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

ilmucche posted:

Man, watcher knight is a big lovely gangbang. No idea how to approach the fight other than flail and hope for the best

-There will always be a max of two Watchers active, so don't feel pressured to rush the fight. Taking it slowly and erring on the side of caution is the best way to handle it.
-The magic missile is really good in this fight because you can hit both Watchers with it.
-The Watchers themselves aren't very complex enemies, only having 3 attacks. You don't have to worry about them pulling any fancy tricks.
-The fight is significantly easier if you have the shadow dodge since you can just dash through the Watchers when they bounce and roll around.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Hopper posted:

The only thing that is confusing to me is that there is no tells where to proceed after picking up a new power. I just got the mantis claw and dashmaster but I can't figure out where to go next, because I can't remember all the places I realized I need a new power to continue.

Yeah map-stamps ala new Zelda would have been great. Unfortunately the goondev here said they wanted to do it but were already way overbudget and scope. They said they'll try to get it in in a future content patch would be nice for a future replay.

If you want to be hardcore and retro, print off a copy of your map and draw it and draw random boxes with just like note for "PW = poison watern ,need swim; DD=need double jump, then just draw in boxes representing new rooms.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

ilmucche posted:

Pogoing on them with your sword is a pretty good strategy as they only have one attack that can hit you if you do that (long nail/mark of pride help with this). I find pogoing is easier with the analogue stick than the D-Pad, but i've got one of those lovely xbox 360 controllers.

Their spinning attack that travels upwards has a pretty obvious tell (they'll spin in place and do a bounce before getting air).

If you bunch a pair of them together you can use desolate dive for iframes, attack both to get soul back (use the charm that gets you extra soul on hit) and then desolate dive again for more iframes.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Internet Kraken posted:

-The fight is significantly easier if you have the shadow dodge since you can just dash through the Watchers when they bounce and roll around.

What in the world is shadow dodge?

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Entropy238 posted:

those lovely xbox 360 controllers.

how dare you

I've been doing Watcher Knights with 5 masks and the 2nd nail upgrade and no charms except Shaman Stone, and it is really really hard but I'm getting better.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Ambivalent posted:

how dare you

I've been doing Watcher Knights with 5 masks and the 2nd nail upgrade and no charms except Shaman Stone, and it is really really hard but I'm getting better.

The analogue stick, triggers and other buttons on it are perfect but the D-Pad on it is completely unsuited for retro style gaming.

I really, really wish there was a boss rush option in the arena for this game. I'd love to fight loads of them again without starting a new playthrough from scratch.

To me it doesn't seem like it'd be too difficult for them to add in a NG+ mode as well. Take away all of the player's mobility abilities, let them keep their nail upgrades/charms/mask/vessel fragments, give monsters some HP scaling and increase ordinary damage to 2 masks and heavy damage to 3 masks, while allowing the player to get further upgrades (more pale ore, more mask/vessel fragments). You could even add in upgraded charms too.

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

ilmucche posted:

What in the world is shadow dodge?

It's a cloak upgrade that makes you invulnerable while dashing. You can find it in ancient basin, but only after collecting a different item in kingdom's edge.

Some more notes for watcher knights:

-Pogo bouncing can be risky, since their spin jump comes out quickly. Your best opportunity for pogo bouncing is when they're doing their sword combos. Also, do keep in mind you can pogo off them when they're spinning. It won't deal damage, but can be used to avoid a hit if you don't have enough airtime to jump over a charge.

-Descending Dark is super legit against them (and lots of other enemies). It hits like a rocket-powered truck and gives lots of invulnerability besides.

-There's a secret room just before the boss arena, behind a breakable ceiling (or wall? I don't quite remember). There's a chain inside you can cut to drop a chandelier on one of the knights, so there's one less to fight.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

One Hundred Monkeys posted:

It's a cloak upgrade that makes you invulnerable while dashing. You can find it in ancient basin, but only after collecting a different item in kingdom's edge.

Some more notes for watcher knights:

-Pogo bouncing can be risky, since their spin jump comes out quickly. Your best opportunity for pogo bouncing is when they're doing their sword combos. Also, do keep in mind you can pogo off them when they're spinning. It won't deal damage, but can be used to avoid a hit if you don't have enough airtime to jump over a charge.

-Descending Dark is super legit against them (and lots of other enemies). It hits like a rocket-powered truck and gives lots of invulnerability besides.

-There's a secret room just before the boss arena, behind a breakable ceiling (or wall? I don't quite remember). There's a chain inside you can cut to drop a chandelier on one of the knights, so there's one less to fight.

I've gotten the king's mark or brand and I figured it'd open up the palace grounds in the ancient basin but haven't had any luck with that. Other than a little bit near the top of the map I've explored everything I think I can get to.

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

ilmucche posted:

I've gotten the king's mark or brand and I figured it'd open up the palace grounds in the ancient basin but haven't had any luck with that. Other than a little bit near the top of the map I've explored everything I think I can get to.

At the very bottom of the part of the basin you can currently access, there's a sealed door. You can use the brand to open it. Have fun :unsmigghh:

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Is there any strategy at all for Flukemarm?

Oh just have the second upgrade I guess.

Justin_Brett fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Jul 8, 2017

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

Justin_Brett posted:

Pretty much; my brilliant strategy was to get a nail upgrade or two and come back when you can one-shot the little flukes. It's too easy to get overwhelmed otherwise.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Hollow Knight is currently 8.90 in the Humble Store in case you did not buy it in the Steam sale.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Justin_Brett posted:

Boss HP values are one of the greatest nitpicks I have with this game. Get to final boss on my speedrun achievement file -> tense epic battle. Get to final boss on my 100% file -> I can almost face-tank and damage race to win. While going for the 100% speedrun achievement I happened to leave Flukemarm for very late, and I literally killed it with a single jump followed by pogo-sticking its fat ugly face.

If I were to change something, I'd probably leave nail upgrades as they are for basic enemies, I like the scaling there, but I'd make the upgrades only 50% or so effective when fighting bosses. Upgrading your nail should improve your damage, but happening to find an "early game" boss later than expected shouldn't trivialize it. In this massive game, it's almost inevitable that that will happen.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Dancer posted:

Boss HP values are one of the greatest nitpicks I have with this game. Get to final boss on my speedrun achievement file -> tense epic battle. Get to final boss on my 100% file -> I can almost face-tank and damage race to win. While going for the 100% speedrun achievement I happened to leave Flukemarm for very late, and I literally killed it with a single jump followed by pogo-sticking its fat ugly face.

If I were to change something, I'd probably leave nail upgrades as they are for basic enemies, I like the scaling there, but I'd make the upgrades only 50% or so effective when fighting bosses. Upgrading your nail should improve your damage, but happening to find an "early game" boss later than expected shouldn't trivialize it. In this massive game, it's almost inevitable that that will happen.

Eh I think they are fine. The hardest challenges in the game aren't trivialized by the nail upgrades (Radiance and Trial of the Fool) and there are even more difficult encounters incoming in a new patch. If you really want to ramp up the difficulty, I think it would be better to ask them to create a new difficulty setting for it.

As it is, if you want more difficulty just don't get the nail upgrades. The thing about the nail being as it is, it's a lever for people who aren't struggling with certain parts of the game a better chance at making it through it since it's pretty much one of the few upgrades that doesn't depend on you playing better to get the most out of it. A lot of people in this thread have talked about finally being able to kill a new boss after many failed attempts before their last nail upgrade.

I think it's safe to say, if you have been speedrunning this game most of the encounters are going to be pretty trivial to you when you do a 100% run. They are going to add harder fights so you'll get your fill soon enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Well now I think I'm stuck. I got the Dreamer in the City of Tears, and the one in Deepnest, but the third one is in an area adjacent to Greenpath and Deepnest that I can't find my way into.