Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
I only know of one guy whose waiver for rotc was declined. He was 18 years old with an 18 year old spouse and they already had 2 kids. Between that and some outstanding debts, he was a big ole nope. He enlisted instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

mlmp08 posted:

I only know of one guy whose waiver for rotc was declined. He was 18 years old with an 18 year old spouse and they already had 2 kids. Between that and some outstanding debts, he was a big ole nope. He enlisted instead.

Promote ahead of peers

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
Worst I saw was an E5 that is 28 with 7 kids. At first I thought he might be a Mormon or something, nope just stupid in a different way.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

Worst I saw was an E5 that is 28 with 7 kids. At first I thought he might be a Mormon or something, nope just stupid in a different way.

Catholic?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Soulex posted:

Catholic?

Shimazu school of contraception

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tdyU_gW6WE

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

god i love this

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

PSA: If any of you have discharges that are anything less than an honorable you might want to look into seeing if it can be fixed. http://arba.army.pentagon.mil/

If it's over 15 years you gotta do the big records correction board.

I sit on a lot of different boards and there are some real BS stuff out there. Get it upgraded.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Obviously I'm not asking for private info, but what, generally speaking, are the types of BS discharges being upgraded?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

Obviously I'm not asking for private info, but what, generally speaking, are the types of BS discharges being upgraded?

A lot of times people will confess to dumb poo poo to avoid a (winnable) court martial, which inevitably ends up in a general discharge.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

mlmp08 posted:

Several got changed to honorable (from general/OTH) because they weren't equitable.

Example, dude got a general under honorable conditions for something that happens frequently (or seems to), but other Soldiers were getting honorable discharges for the same thing.

*edit* also the board has a lot of power. If a dude literally turns his life around and can show it, mercy is absolutely an option.

**more edit** There's currently a guy working through the system that got a dis-honorable back in the 70's. He, more than likely, is going to get it fixed because nobody can find all the records associated with it.

spacetoaster fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jun 30, 2017

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

spacetoaster posted:

*edit* also the board has a lot of power. If a dude literally turns his life around and can show it, mercy is absolutely an option.

Makes sense. Similarly, I've seen admin sep boards check the block that says the government showed clear evidence that they failed to meet [whatever] retention requirement, but we're gonna keep him cause he's a helluva guy, we imagine.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
Army barracks in a nutshell: air conditioning blasting into the hallway, no air into the rooms at all.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Your barracks has air conditioning? Lucky

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

Soulex posted:

Your barracks has air conditioning? Lucky

Well, it's not like the Marines. They don't rely on pure deprivation, just reminding you of what they're holding from you.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Is there a really good reason for me to not opt-in to Blended Retirement System? It seems like that for me, as a 27 year old with 19 years to go for pension, the odds of me reaching the end are slim-ish. I love the Army and all that jazz, but having a TSP Match that totals at 5 percent right now would yield me a pretty decent money stack, too? And 40 percent pension instead of 50 is nothing to scoff at either, in case I make it.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
i don't know about the blended retirement stuff, but invest in TSP either way. even if you're only going to be in the army for a week.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
The blended is generally better if you have sub 5 years in, whether you plan to go 20 or not. If you have between 5 and 10 in it begins to rapidly shift to full retirement if you plan on staying in. If you don't plan on staying in, then go full TSP just to Get as much out of the Army as you can.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

The blended is generally better if you have sub 5 years in, whether you plan to go 20 or not. If you have between 5 and 10 in it begins to rapidly shift to full retirement if you plan on staying in. If you don't plan on staying in, then go full TSP just to Get as much out of the Army as you can.

This is pretty solid advice.

It's unlikely that the average joe is going to do 20 years. Remember that for every person you meet who says "I never thought I'd do 20 and here I am!" there are something like 4 people who aren't around to tell you they didn't serve long enough to hit retirement. For a new-term person, I'd recommend the blended option and max out the government matching. That's significant, especially if you're young. If you're approaching 10 and don't have an intention of leaving, opting for blended gives up a lot of potential income for not that much guaranteed matching. If you're past 10 and opt out of blended, then leave service before 20, you either died, got a medical discharge with associated benefits, got in trouble (oops), or made a decision to change your way of life and start posting smdftb a lot, so who really cares about the blended matching you missed out on?

USAA has a widget and more info here: https://www.usaa.com/inet/wc/advice...akredirect=true

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
drat, had another lame rear end army dream. We had to go on a road march and I had to scramble to find a woodland BDU hat with the appropriate rank because thats the uniform we had to wear. Like dudes sorry I didn't keep a hat that was issued to me over 10 years ago

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Putting this here because I have no other place to put it-
I just saw a VA doctor walking by wearing a home ankle monitor. The VA has a doctor is on home arrest. This is somehow still shocking to me.

(I know he is a doc because of his ID badge. He was walking with a gym bag, so maybe he was going in to change for work?)

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

TBeats posted:

i don't know about the blended retirement stuff, but invest in TSP either way. even if you're only going to be in the army for a week.

Roth TSP. Pay your taxes up front. Or use vanguard.

Invest either way.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I have my Roth IRA in Vanguard and I put in 5 percent to my Roth TSP so I'm probably way more set than my fellow privates, and having the Blended System matching my Roth TSP contribution seems awesome. I'm just wondering if there is some hidden gently caress you, I can't really take it with a good heart that the new retirement system would be just a good idea.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
So I'm stupid and taking another Command. I went to JAG to get spun up on all the impending legal actions. Beyond the usual PT, body weight, and drug chapters I'm inheriting an all star. Within 96 hours dude got a DUI, live streamed himself with a prostitute, and went AWOL.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
That dude's Army as gently caress. Put him in for a BSM-V.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
he's probably the 1SG or CSM

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Sounds like an update to that SLRRT slide

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Sounds like my kind of party.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

Mustang posted:

Sounds like an update to that SLRRT slide

so on a vague 1-3 scale with some decimal points in between, at which point in this comic are you?

i'm guessing somewhere in between 1 and 2, possibly almost to 2.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Depends on the day, I only have one real shitbag in my platoon that makes me have to do extra paperwork sometimes. Could all change pretty soon though I guess, getting like 10 new soldiers soon

Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man

Mustang posted:

Depends on the day, I only have one real shitbag in my platoon that makes me have to do extra paperwork sometimes. Could all change pretty soon though I guess, getting like 10 new soldiers soon

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Block leave can't come soon enough

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Mustang posted:

Block leave can't come soon enough

Speaking of leave, I'm gonna lose like 20 loving days to use/lose this year due to very irritating reasons.

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!
How are you not able to use 20 days between now and October?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Triggs posted:

How are you not able to use 20 days between now and October?

Very irritating reasons. I will probably take a regular-old four-day as leave instead of pass.

But there's no loving way I'm burning my weekends just to avoid ending up on some list of people who got hosed out of using leave, and there's roughly zero possibility of being able to take leave otherwise.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

mlmp08 posted:

Very irritating reasons. I will probably take a regular-old four-day as leave instead of pass.

But there's no loving way I'm burning my weekends just to avoid ending up on some list of people who got hosed out of using leave, and there's roughly zero possibility of being able to take leave otherwise.

Just take the leave. It's the army, not anything important.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I'm tellin' ya, you guys should quit this whole Army thing.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Pesticide20 posted:

Just take the leave.

Kind of not an option whatsoever. Then again, through zero malfeasance of my own, I've probably taken leave without being charged properly a fair bit more than I'm going to get hosed this year.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

There is absolutely nothing about the Army that makes me want to make this a career

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Mustang posted:

There is absolutely nothing about the Army that makes me want to make this a career

:bisonyes: