Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

WOOOOOOOOOO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EMC
Aug 17, 2004

Pretty shrewd of Presti to match Roberson's contract to his FT percentage in the Rockets series

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
10 million a year for a dude that can play the least important half of basketball and is an outright liability in the most important half

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy
Lmao he turned down 4/48 earlier in the year

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy

Ammanas posted:

10 million a year for a dude that can play the least important half of basketball and is an outright liability in the most important half

Hmmm, yes this is a good opinion

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

EMC posted:

Pretty shrewd of Presti to match Roberson's contract to his FT percentage in the Rockets series

lol

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Ammanas posted:

Shuts down James Harden regularly but isn't worth 10 mil per year yeah sure

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

chunkles posted:

jae chowdah would be a really good return on that situation for them

the only sensible destination would've been Manhattan and now it's all ruined, and nobody is going to find a trade for Carmelo because they all know he sucks

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

cravius posted:

Lmao he turned down 4/48 earlier in the year

He left more $ on the table than Durant.

EMC posted:

heh

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
Kinda sad seeing all these players take these deals after they saw the poo poo that happened last year. really true, feast or famine is just a matter of timing.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
It's more like RFA is super hosed for players if you're not a max player. He couldn't even get a higher offer from Brooklyn to dummy up the price

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne
I suspect UFA will be bad too, but RFA seems like a bloodbath. Not sure why Milwaukee handed Tony Snell 46/4 at midnight of July 1st. He's a fine player, but I'm wondering if the Bucks didn't do the math on available space or had some inkling that one of the generic offer sheet teams had an eye on him.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
I think rfa is bs too, but why does rfa stop him from getting 4/48 offer? cause it locks up space so offering teams have miss opportunities?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

chunkles posted:

jae chowdah would be a really good return on that situation for them

I think he's a little overrated but there isn't a better wing on the market and yeah considering the situation that's really good

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
that's a great deal for roberson what are ya'll talking about.

He's a big, versatile defensive wing. It sucks that he can't shoot but he + PG will make a nasty perimeter defense.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Femur posted:

I think rfa is bs too, but why does rfa stop him from getting 4/48 offer? cause it locks up space so offering teams have miss opportunities?

Yeah, basically. You prioritize the guy who you know will take or leave the deal right away, not 3 days later.

MourningView posted:

I think he's a little overrated but there isn't a better wing on the market and yeah considering the situation that's really good

With his contract you could definitely make another move, but this good to your point of free agents and Utah...

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Roberson should play PF mostly in the playoffs, his shooting is less of a concern with Paul George there.

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne

Femur posted:

in addition to what Lockback said, the relatively flat cap is drying up the market for RFAs worse than usual. Brooklyn might cycle through a few offer sheets, but home teams can now lock up cap space for 6 days.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
I don't like RFA either but Allen Crabbe was a RFA and got $18 million a year. It's pretty much all cause of the cap.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Roberson's contract is real good. That playoff series probably cost him a few million.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
I think he'd probably have gotten like 2m less a year if OKC wasn't over the cap, but it's not horribly horrible

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
Gilbert didn't want to pay Chauncey http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/19846453/cleveland-cavaliers-offered-market-salary-former-gm-candidate-chauncey-billups

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

leftist heap posted:

Roberson's contract is real good. That playoff series probably cost him a few million.

Kinda but he was pretty excellent on defense, I'd say his performance on d added 2 million, but being unable to hit a ft cost him 4

Learn to shoot a loving free throw youre NBA PLAYERS

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Haha, Gilbert is the worst
LeBron plz leave again, they do not deserve you

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Spite posted:

that's a great deal for roberson what are ya'll talking about.

He's a big, versatile defensive wing. It sucks that he can't shoot but he + PG will make a nasty perimeter defense.

He did a great job on Harden but the Rockets would stand ten feet away from him even when he had the ball in his hands until he stepped inside 15 feet

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Intruder posted:

He did a great job on Harden but the Rockets would stand ten feet away from him even when he had the ball in his hands until he stepped inside 15 feet

yeah i really don't know how you can play him in the playoffs if he is that much of black hole on offense, let alone the free throws issue. The guy is an extremely good defender though

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

vaginal facsimile posted:

Please don't trade Avery, Danny. I'm fine with loosing Smart and Jae though

Same

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
tbh I would not want to pay a lot of money to a guy who had never worked in a front office before either. I also would not fire David Griffin tho

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Allen Krabby

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Stingy.

Libertine posted:

I've got some questions and have been busy all day today. Is adding Hayward a big positive for Boston if they have to dispose of Bradley, Smart, and Crowder (and Olynyk already gone).

If they lose all four, no. That would be a comedic and Shakespearean tragedy.

IcePhoenix posted:

Yeah, our starters were actually really good together last year (I think one of the top five in the league? I feel like that's too high but it's what's in my head) but our bench was God Awful

This was the top ten in +/- last season:
code:
Lineup									Tm	+/-
S. Curry | K. Durant | D. Green | Z. Pachulia | K. Thompson		GSW	269
B. Griffin | D. Jordan | L. Mbah a Moute | C. Paul | J. Redick		LAC	251
B. Beal | M. Gortat | M. Morris | O. Porter | J. Wall			WAS	245
R. Anderson | T. Ariza | P. Beverley | C. Capela | J. Harden		HOU	179
K. Irving | L. James | D. Liggins | K. Love | T. Thompson		CLE	117
S. Curry | K. Durant | D. Green | A. Iguodala | K. Thompson		GSW	115
S. Curry | K. Durant | D. Green | J. McGee | K. Thompson		GSW	93
N. Batum | M. Kidd-Gilchrist | K. Walker | M. Williams | C. Zeller	CHO	89
R. Anderson | T. Ariza | E. Gordon | J. Harden | M. Harrell		HOU	84
D. Carroll | D. DeRozan | K. Lowry | P. Patterson | J. Valanciunas	TOR	76

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:
Meanwhile, in China

https://twitter.com/SInow/status/882805750208356353

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I really loving hope nobody in the league accepts a salary dump from the Celtics without getting a real asset in return.

EMC
Aug 17, 2004

Dexo posted:

I really loving hope nobody in the league accepts a salary dump from the Celtics without getting a real asset in return.

Watch the Bulls give up a first rounder for Marcus Smart

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Spacebump posted:

Nobody expected KD's $10 million pay cut.

I expected nothing less from the valiant, courageous and altruistic Slim Reaper.

Shear Modulus posted:

it sets a bad precedent to expect players to take massive discounts to help nobody but the owner

KD didn't start it. IIRC Wade did the same in 2014 and then LBJ still bailed on the sinking Titanic passenger liner. The owners usually dupe the players.

I still remember Pippen and his protracted contract. He was making $2,000,000/year when Jordan was making $30,000,000/year. Job security courtesy of the Bulls.

Bashez posted:

The Warriors got better and that's definitely not what I thought would be happening.

And there's still room for even more improvement somehow.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

why is SI reposting something from like two years ago

edit: srsly that video is from 2015

EvanTH fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Jul 6, 2017

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

Zogo posted:

And there's still room for even more improvement somehow.

This is the second July 4th in a row Bob Myers has sewn up Executive of the Year light years before the season even starts.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Ammanas posted:

I believe he's going to develop into a decent 3 and D guy. He was a PF his entire life so of course his offensive game is weird as gently caress in the NBA right now. 3 years of 10 mil a pop to see if he develops a 3 isn't that bad.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Casspi? Hell yes. This signing of decent bench players is a pretty cool surprise.

edit:

4y/52million? You're living the dream, Dion.

Jack's Flow fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Jul 6, 2017

TheKevman
Dec 13, 2003
I thought Mad Max: Fury Road was
:mediocre:
so you should probably ignore anything else I say

Like 30 pages of reading to catch up and it's just amazing how KD gets all of you adults so riled up and frothing :laugh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Congrats?

• Locked thread