Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Awesome! posted:

i stuck with only buying pillars of eternity+dlc and witcher 2. i have played pillars for like 24 hours now according to steam so i think that was an ok purchase

I've skipped on Pillars dlc twice now, but given that I haven't put substantial time into Pillars or Torment and didn't buy Tyranny I'm wondering if I'm just... not into long oldstyle pc rpgs any more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Pillars is good. I bought Torment: Tides of Numenera in this sale but haven't fired it up yet, it'll be worth it if it's half as good as pillars to me. I bought Dead Cells, it's kicking my rear end. I bought Domina, because I heard a track of the OST, and Rise of the Tomb Raider as well. Saving Stellaris and Warhammer DLC for winter I guess, but there's a pretty good number of new games and expansions coming out later this year so who knows if I'll ever get back into either of those.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
For the sale I didn't buy too much, but I did pick up the Spiderweb Games bundle.

I've heard good things about these games, and even though the graphics look really dated, there's something about the aesthetic I just find charming as hell. Here goes!

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

GreatGreen posted:

For the sale I didn't buy too much, but I did pick up the Spiderweb Games bundle.

I've heard good things about these games, and even though the graphics look really dated, there's something about the aesthetic I just find charming as hell. Here goes!
'k, so:

The Genforge 1 LP just finished, and reading it is a lot more interesting than trying to play the game yourself.

The way XP gain works in Avernum, the various "less xp, better stats" perks are actually worth it.

Use the party size mod for Avadon. Seriously - you're not going to replay the game twice to get all the companion content otherwise, and it makes the combat a lot more interesting. Bump the difficulty up to Hard if you really feel uncomfortable "cheating".

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Yeah, I know it's small in the greater sea of Steam whales.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

X-Ultron posted:

I didn't go crazy this time, tried to keep the damage down to what I'd play over the next 6 months or so. Got some stuff I've been meaning to pick up.

Wolfenstein: TNO - Beat it already, loved it
Mad Max - Played this all weekend, love it
Shadow of Mordor - Haven't played this yet, but I think I will enjoy it
Hollow Knight - Haven't touched it yet
Call of Juarez: Gunslinger - Haven't touched it yet but this looks cool
HITMAN Season 1 - Blood Money was my favorite in the series and I heard this compared favorably. Looking forward to it!

drat, your list is almost identical to my list. Whats your steam ID? i wanna check out other games you like, see if any of them I haven't heard of.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

gmq posted:

I bought three games and played one a bit and then spent another 10 hours playing Skyrim.

Playing the Enderal overhaul, or the standard game?

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I spent a lot this sale, but I had a fair amount of steam credit in my wallet already.

Hollow Knight
Prey
Don't Starve Together
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
Space Pirates and Zombies 2
You Must Build a Boat
Skyrim SE
Dead Cells

I feel like SPAZ 2 is the only real gamble. I had also planned on getting a Paradox grand strategy game (HOI4 or EU4) but chickened out.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
wait so the day after the sale ends the shadows of mordor goty is on sale for the same price as the regular edition was all sale? lmao

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Or is it Sputnik posted:

You could attach an authenticator to your account.

I did with the mobile app doodad still making me wait :/

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I bought way way way too many games this year. Going to try to not buy anything new until Christmas.

flat screen:
Cyan publisher pack
superhot
jade empire
doom 3
stardew valley
hitman
xcom 2
wolf tno
wolf the other one
quantum break
quake 4
singularity
system shock 2
black mesa

vr:
scanner sombre
pinball fx2
zaaccri pinball
carnival games
keep talking and nobody explodes
superhot
obduction
thumper
dirt rally
(oculus store)the climb
(os)wilson's heart

it's a lot but they're all really amazing games from what I've played so far so I'm happy.

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jul 5, 2017

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I spent a lot this sale, but I had a fair amount of steam credit in my wallet already.

Hollow Knight
Prey
Don't Starve Together
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
Space Pirates and Zombies 2
You Must Build a Boat
Skyrim SE
Dead Cells

I feel like SPAZ 2 is the only real gamble. I had also planned on getting a Paradox grand strategy game (HOI4 or EU4) but chickened out.

I did not like SPAZ2 and that made me very sad because I loved the first one. They've patched it a fair amount, post a trip report, curious to hear your thoughts.

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

PlushCow posted:

I'd hold off until it's cheaper/patched more, unless you watch your time for the refund window (if bought on Steam). It is completely unlike DoW2, it's more a straight RTS like DoW1 but is lacking some things fans of DoW1 enjoyed, like morale.

From earlier in the thread I posted this:

Thanks dude, saved me the money!

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

victrix posted:

I did not like SPAZ2 and that made me very sad because I loved the first one. They've patched it a fair amount, post a trip report, curious to hear your thoughts.

:same:

SPAZ1 was a loving great random game out of nowhere back when indie competition was a lot lower. it had some grindy problems once the zombie meatships came out, but i really liked the overall package and mechanics

I'm very curious to hear how SPAZ2 ends out, heard it was kinda sucky but that was awhile ago

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Xaris posted:

:same:

SPAZ1 was a loving great random game out of nowhere back when indie competition was a lot lower. it had some grindy problems once the zombie meatships came out, but i really liked the overall package and mechanics

I'm very curious to hear how SPAZ2 ends out, heard it was kinda sucky but that was awhile ago

I played it not too long after EA launch, and it's just a very different game. The basic concept is similar, and it has some clever ideas about open-space-world adventuring that expand on the fun stuff they had in the first game.

But the combat engine is completely different, and resulting overall feel is different as well.

They're coming up on 1.0 very soon though, so it may be a more fun game overall than what I played, dunno.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

The Walrus posted:

wait so the day after the sale ends the shadows of mordor goty is on sale for the same price as the regular edition was all sale? lmao

Yeah kind of goofy, huh? I've noticed that a lot of weekend/midweek madness deals are often cheaper than the Steam Sale price. That wasn't always the case--when Steam Sales used to have random 8-hour flash deals and drifting sale prices, you'd often find a product for cheaper than at any other point. Nowadays Steam Sales are consistent for their duration, but consequently really boring.

I feel like I'd prefer them going back to the "snooze and you lose" approach of flash sales (even though I'd miss something periodically) simply because they were, you know, more interesting. But I can understand why that'll probably never happen.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jul 5, 2017

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

it is a little surprising to do it immediately after the sale though because im guessing a lot of those purchases are still in the refund window

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

As much as I liked them, I impulse buy way less poo poo with the daily deals and flash sales gone, so I'm not complaining.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Spent about £50 this sale, picked up a load of stuff I've been meaning to play.

However I've played nothing but Dungeonmans since getting it, I think this game will break me.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Ragequit posted:

Playing the Enderal overhaul, or the standard game?

Standard, I'm trying the legacy of the dragonborn mod. Enderal is probably going to mean 30 more hours. :negative:

sklurb
Sep 13, 2012

I'm a billionaire super spy and part-time supermodel.
I owe a :peanut:MASSIVE THANK YOU:peanut: to these fine people for all the excellent gifts they sent me during the Steam Summer Sale. :kiss:

Here they are in order received:

Punasaurus:
The Elder Scrolls Online: Morrowind
Trackmania Turbo
Steep

Lionkolla:
Perception

Mallorn:
Thimbleweed Park

Kragger99:
Dead Cell
Sherlock Holmes: The Devil's Daughter

Cpunch:
Friday the 13th: The Game
Planet Coaster

SA_Avenger:
PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds - (gift to my daughter so that she can play w/ me too!)
Life is Strange Before the Storm - (pre-order gift for my daughter, how cool was that?!)
Flatout Insanity
Warcube
History 2048
Ghost of a Tale
Darkest Dungeon: The Crimson Court
Late Shift
Home Behind
The Guild Gold Edition

BirdOfPlay:
Hidden Folks
Dungeon Rats

OhFunny:
Outlast 2
Chicken Labyrinth Puzzles
Ahnayro: The Dream World
Virginia
The Guest
Last Hours Of Jack
Shrouded in Sanity

Zeeman:
Dishonored 2

Ilmucche:
Frostrune
Technobabylon
Tacopocalypse

Fart of Presto:
No Man's Sky
Hard West: Scars of Freedom DLC
Miscreated
RAGE
Seraph
The last Cargo

Innerguard:
Nancy Drew: The Ghost of Thornton Hall

AnilEhilated:
A Normal Lost Phone
Paint It Back
Human Fall Flat

Mokinokaro:
Steep Season Pass

Enola Gay-for-Pay:
Crusader Kings 2 DLC: The Old Gods

Trash Boat:
Crusader Kings 2 DLC: Sons of Abraham DLC and Way of Life

Alien Rope Burn:
Heart's Medicine - Time to Heal
Spooky's Jump Scare Mansion: HD Renovation

Pennfalath:
Strikey Sisters

Ferrosol:
Trapper Knight, Sharpshooter Princess

Solid Poopsnake:
Wizards & Warlords

StrixNebulosa:
System Crash

Mr. Reese:
Nancy Drew: Labyrinth of Lies

WirelessPillow:
Trackmania Lagoon

Katreus :
Inner Voices
House of Many Doors

Arivia:
Road Redemption

Blattdorf:
Watchdogs 2

Bad News Panda:
Quern
Antihero pre-order

Ningyou:
Nancy Drew: Shadow at the Water's Edge
Nancy Drew: Ghost Dogs at Moon Lake

raditts:
Nancy Drew: Sea of Darkness

SirPhoebos:
Assassin's Creed Revelations

Delvio:
Town of Salem - The Coven DLC
Buried: An Interactive Story

Willias:
Lunatic Dawn 3-pack

Olive Garden Tonight:
Castle Story

Haverghast:
Nidhogg

Princey:
Nancy Drew: Curse of Blackmoor Manor
Nancy Drew: Secret of the Scarlet Hand

sklurb fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jul 6, 2017

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Splurged a bit since I had a bit more money and thus a willingness to spend it on things >$5 for once. Ended up with a wide mix of tiny indie things, big budget games, and some stuff inbetween for about $160~

Peer pressure was a big seller this time around. Wouldn't have pounced on stuff like Prey, Wuppo, or Hollow Knight if not for goons. A friend also sold me on Immortal Redneck even before goons got on the bandwagon. Didn't get me to pull the trigger on Dead Cells though!

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

victrix posted:

Sure! It may be a while though, since I have sworn to myself to complete Horizon Zero Dawn before I get into any of my Steam games too much (aside from YMBAB anyway).

Baby Proof
May 16, 2009

Made it through the whole sale without getting anything, but one of the few games that tempted me was Shadows of Mordor, and I happened to check the store again today! Pretty nice discount, going from 8$ for game+dlc down to 4$. At least I'll be able to use the marketplace for the winter sale, unless of course they add some more restrictions.

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

"C'mon! Let's tune our weapons!"
Told myself I didn't need anything this time, as I'm yet to even properly start Saints Row IV from last time.

So of course I grabbed

Rocket League
Audiosurf 2
Move or Die
Portal
Portal 2

and because I obviously needed another massive-content game, GTA V , which runs surprisingly smoothly on my not-quite-powerful enough system.

I justified most of those as "games I can play with my kid'. Have already logged ten times as much Rocket League as I have Saints Row IV.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
This sale was pretty boring for me. I spent about $60 (half of that on GOTY versions of games I already own because it was cheaper than buying individual expansions) but it turns out I actually have the most fun buying games for other people, and they've made that hard to do now.

Zoe fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jul 6, 2017

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i spent about $70 and got 26 games, and 4 gifted to me

Fairy Fencer F
Heart's Medicine: Time to Heal
Headlander
LaserCat (beaten)
Last Door Season 2
Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver
Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver 2
Legacy of Kain: Defiance
Magic Circle
Milkmaid of the Milky Way (beaten)
Monstro Battle Tactics
Normal Lost Phone (beaten)
OneShot
Pathologic Classic <- gifted to me
Pharaoh Rebirth
Poi (beaten) <- gifted to me
Princess Remedy 2
Quantum Conundrum
Red Faction Guerilla
Replica (beaten)
Rochard (currently playing)
RunGunJumpGun (beaten-ish)
Spaceman Sparkles 2 (beaten-ish)
Spaceman Sparkles 3D
Stories: the Path of Destinies (beaten) <- gifted to me
Stories Untold
Submerged <- gifted to me
The Tenth Line
Tick Tock Bang Bang (beaten)
Typing of the Dead Overkill (beaten)

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Salt & Sanctuary

Hollow Knight

Domina

Northgard

Full Throttle: Remastered

So that was about maybe 50 bucks or so. Not bad I think.

Salt and Sanctuary Is pretty much a heavily inspired Dark Souls game made in 2D, developed by the same guys that did the dishwasher game back when 360 was getting some good indie titles. I really like it.

Hollow Knight Is good, but i'm an hour in and feeling a little lost after finishing off two bosses and getting my first power. Will work on it later.

Domina was five bucks. Pretty good game to drink and enjoy while you watch your gladiators duke it out in arenas, with a very detailed 2D animation, and a pretty drat good soundtrack.

Northgard is a good game, it's like a more in-depth Civilization game featuring Vikings with multiple ways of achieving victory.

Full Throttle was an absolute treat playing again. Now that I think about it, still retaining all the knowledge of the puzzles, you could theoretically finish the game and refund it, but that's kind of scummy for such a good game.

I also liked hearing the commentary. One part that really stuck with me was Tim Schafer admitting starting out that he made management mistakes, the game taking too long to finish and handling money and all I could think about was Broken Age. Broken Age. Broken Age

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Quest For Glory II posted:

i spent about $70 and got 26 games, and 4 gifted to me

You! I want to thank you for recommending Pizza Express, for 69 cents it's been a perfect alternative to Cook Serve Delicious, albeit a lot clickier.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I think someone else recommended that game but I'm glad you're enjoying it??

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
for those complaining that steam sales are boring now, it is because valve don't make games anymore

anyway: haul:

HyperRogue + Hydra Slayer - these two are interesting almost-rogues
The Temporal Invasion
LIT
Idle Evolution
Immortal Redneck - fun
Quarantine - a vidja-boardgame similar to Plague Inc except you are not the virus
Weapon Shop Fantasy
Hieroglyphika + Voodoo Garden + The Cat Games
imprint-X
The Fall of the Dungeon Guardians - v.good first-person dungeon crawler
The Rosefinch Curse (Ning's Wing 1) - escape the place game that can be obtuse at times
Hade - cool puzzle game
Pristine world
ShellShock Live - fun
Dead Cells - fun++
Sentris
Mystery Chronicle: One Way Heroics

packages from the train:
Slugcat Fantasy X HD Remaster from Ephphatha (rain world + FFX/X-2)
Code of Princess from Shadow225 - side-scrolling brawler lifted from the DS
Eador: Imperium from SA_Avenger
Operation Babel: New Tokyo Legacy from sklurb

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I decided to limit myself to around fifty dollars this time around. I bought:
Tales of Berseria
The Sea Will Claim Everything (So far, a charming little point and click adventure game)
Crimzon Clover (Hilariously, stupidly hard--but at least you get infinite continues)
Ikaruga (I've wanted to get this many years--it's real neat)
Dungeon Warfare (As good as they say--though really challenging at times)
Hyper Light Drifter

My brother also gifted me this:
Domina (Fun--but I wish they would loving tell you ANYTHING in this game. Hell, when they do tell you something, it's often poorly worded or they've left out a key detail, like with how to spare a gladiator)

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Palpek posted:

I bought Watch_Dogs 2 and the season pass, gonna watch some dogs tonight.

park a car under a tree and when you come back it's covered in leaves

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Does WD2 feature any technobabble, hacker jargon and the like?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

sebmojo posted:

Woah

SelenicMartian posted:

Does WD2 feature any technobabble, hacker jargon and the like?
Almost exclusively. It's great, I'm really enjoying these hacker millennials so far (we need followers to make our computing power higher!).

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005
"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free do to anything"

sebmojo posted:

That's some cool poo poo.

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

Awesome! posted:

it is a little surprising to do it immediately after the sale though because im guessing a lot of those purchases are still in the refund window

Yeah I'm holding off playing anything until the monthly HB releases. If anything out of the admittedly few things I bought ends up in that then I'm hitting the refund option immediately.

I mean, except say Trucker and Trucker 2. I feel like those are a safe bet.

Also everyone who forgot can breathe easy, the Gal*Gun discount was completely unrelated to the sale and it's still $10 for another week and a bit.

Palpek posted:

Almost exclusively. It's great, I'm really enjoying these hacker millennials so far (we need followers to make our computing power higher!).

It's super fun in like "2017 remake of the 90's Hackers movie but not a lovely reboot" sort of way. e: Still, annoyed that I haven't heard anyone say they're going to "double the ram" yet.

markgreyam fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Jul 6, 2017

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Palpek posted:

Yeah, good thing I didn't buy it. Ubi language-locks all of its latest games and English is not an option here.

Seeric
Aug 18, 2011
For this sale I mostly focused on taking risks with a lot of cheaper indie games which had made their way onto my wishlist for one reason or another with a few bigger games thrown in. I've played most of them at least a little and there are, unsurprisingly, a fair number of duds, but there were also some pleasant surprises along the way. Here's what I got in case anyone wants to add some of these to their wishlist for future sales:

Life Beetle - It's extremely short and not great, but it was also only $0.50 (down from $1) so I got it mostly out of curiosity.
Murasaki - A weird game that's sort of a bullet hell, though not quite. It's a bit hard to describe. This one's decent, though I would never pay full price for it.
In Extremis - A fascinating shmup with some very, very creative levels inspired by music and art. Sometimes the backgrounds make the bullets hard to see, but I like it a whole lot.
Furi - It's good and I'm really bad at it.
Rivals of Aether - This is a solid Smash Bros. type of game which differs from its inspiration in small yet substantial ways. I like it and should play more of it.
Twist of Destiny - It's an early access RPG of sorts. The combat's ok, though the bizarre aesthetics are far and away the main draw. I have no clue if it's ever going to get fully released.
Magnetta - I'm fond of Mega Man clones, but I bounced off of this one rather hard. There's just too much instant death and it demands too much precision along with some lackluster level design.
Marrow - This horror platformer could use a few more save points and there are some questionable bits of level design, but it's wonky in a way that I'm fond of. Great if you like wonky games with interesting concepts.
Diamond Joyce and the Secrets of Crystal Cave - It's basically Boulder Dash with awful art. I knew that going in and I'm not fond of Boulder Dash so I have no clue why I purchased it. It's fine if that's your type of game though.
Apple Jack 1&2 - I was mostly curious about this because it got some popularity back on XBLIG. It's actually a really good puzzle/action platformer! It is not color blind friendly in the slightest though, so be wary of that.
OVIVO - An ok monochrome game where you swap between black and white surfaces. It seems like it's on the short side and it took a bit too long to start picking up, though it's otherwise fine.
Eldritch Hunter - Sort of a Super Meat Boy type of game except you have weapons to shoot adorable abominations with. It's somewhat short and not outright brutal, though it's fun while it lasts.
Ghostlords - Pokemon with ghosts, a better combat system, and branching paths. It's a great hidden gem, though one which is best played in short bursts.
Warlock's Tower - A puzzle game with a good basic mechanic which it somewhat squanders by holding your hand for way too long. It seems like the later levels pick up, but the early parts feel like they're 50% tutorial.
Wells - This is an action platformer with some fun weapons, but it's ruined by boring level design, regenerating health, and a massive hitbox on the protagonist.
Blue Rider - It's a top-down shooter of sorts. It starts slow, though it picks up noticeable between levels. Boss fights feel a bit too hard compared to their respective levels. Decent, but definitely only worth getting on sale.
10 Second Ninja X - An action platformer where you need to complete increasingly complicated challenges within 10 seconds. It's fun and polished, though it looks like it might be a bit light on content.
Ninja Smasher! - Another ninja game, though a very different one. You get aerial jumps back after attacking enemies so you can fly across screens in a satisfying way. Dull level design ruins it.
Fumiko! - A 3D cyberpunk platformer where you control an AI. You can jump extremely far and high. Seems like it might be short, but I'm really into the story and aesthetics from what I've played of it.
Mastema: Out of Hell - Rough around the edges in all sorts of ways, but for some reason I like it. It has good pacing which makes you want to keep playing it.
Power Hover - You can only move left and right while autoscrolling through 3D levels to pick up batteries and dodge hazards. It changes things up fairly often and the level design is solid.
The Legends of Owlia - Extremely faithful to the NES era, though that includes unnecessary tedium. Pacing feels off and the dungeon design I've seen is really bland.

As for games which I haven't tried at all yet:

Hue
The Amber Throne - This has been sitting on my wishlist for years so I decided to finally get it.
Tomato Way - I've seen other people play this and it's bad and weird in a good way.
Coffee Pot Terrarium
Doom (the new one) - I really need to make room on my hard drive so I can play this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beef express
Sep 7, 2005

The highest technique is to have no technique.

Mr. Fowl posted:

My brother also gifted me this:
Domina (Fun--but I wish they would loving tell you ANYTHING in this game. Hell, when they do tell you something, it's often poorly worded or they've left out a key detail, like with how to spare a gladiator)

Definitely true. I ended up watching a Let's Play to somewhat learn it, but still occasionally get absolutely destroyed in fights where my team is statistically superior. Very fun game for the price though!

• Locked thread