Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I, for one, like that the bumblemarines are so fat that they have a special rule to represent them getting lucky and crushing an enemy under their corpulent, armored bulk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

adamantium|wang posted:

In this case 3 models of the red unit can see a model in the green unit and fire.

RAW the green unit does not get any cover and the owner of the green unit can allocate wounds to any one of the models in the green unit. Terrain and cover is pretty hosed in 8th.

Gotcha. I missed the part in 3.2. about the shooting model. That makes it a lot less stupid.

Still, something like

The number of models killed cannot exceed the number of models visible to at least one attacker

would be nice. You could then make an exception for blast weapons.

In practice that maybe totally redundant 90% of the time.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Blast weapons and flamer weapons don't exist, though. They're just heavy or assault or whatever.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

I know, but that could be a way to give them back some blast.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

HardCoil posted:

I know, but that could be a way to give them back some blast.

It'd certainly make weapons like the battle cannon feel a bit less mediocre, although I think the weapon itself still needs better punch to accomplish that.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

Serotonin posted:

I wonder if anyone has any bright ideas.

I inherited a huge lot of 40K Khorne stuff, mix of modern releases like Defilers and Hellbrute but also some super old school stuff such as Rogue Trader era Land Raiders ( will make a perfect base to make a Hellforged Proteus).

My problem is a couple of the models have conversions that I'm not a fan of. The main one being a metal Demon Prince model ( the latest one prior to finecast) that has had a scratch built jet pack added and held in place by what is possibly green stuff. I'm going to strip the models back but I wondered if there was a way of dissolving or removing green stuff?

I reckon the jetpack has been held on by milliput , and masses of it. I think Im just going to have to live with it, or see if I can rescue it by improving the jetpack.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Putties actually don't stick that well to plastic or metal. You may be able to just pop it off if it isn't pinned or something. Give it an hour in the freezer and see if you can get a knife into the joint an wriggle it around.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

JBP posted:

People are going loving bananas about the codex releases being so soon and having wasted money on the index. I thought it was really loving clear that this would happen and that the index is still going to be massively useful as a resource... loving hams.

If only we could go back to the good old days of complaining about GW taking years to release a complete set of codices, only to change the edition halfway through so all the new ones were already out of date.

Nerds are the worst.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
It's incredible. I had a dude in an Australian 40k thing say I was correct that the company told us about this clearly and communicated well. He then complained that they said "soon" re codices and did not expect it to be THIS SOON.

Like chill the gently caress out you got the data sheets for 1/5 of the game at the cost of half a lovely 7th codex that you hated anyway.

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe
the real crime is releasing nothing but marine factions

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Soulfucker posted:

the real crime is releasing nothing but marine factions

would agree accept Chaos is getting two releases so I'm defaulting to FYGM mode

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

TheChirurgeon posted:

would agree accept Chaos is getting two releases so I'm defaulting to FYGM mode

Chaos are still Marines

Not sure anyone was crying out for Grey Knights first though

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I thought Eldar would have been in the first wave to mix it up, particularly considering their return to importance.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Corrode posted:

Chaos are still Marines

Not sure anyone was crying out for Grey Knights first though

Grey Knight players maybe?

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
It could be worse, Dark Angels could be first again.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

HardCoil posted:

Grey Knight players maybe?

Idk I would have expected SW or DA before them but I'm out of the loop, maybe GKs are way more popular than I thought

E: the plus side of the new system is I'm way more likely to pick up bits and pieces of other Imperial factions now that it doesn't have to be a whole army in one go

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
GK are just too Mary Sue. DeathWatch is an example how to do best of the best without it being awful and it being enticing. We. rib our GK player about it. He was upset that GK were no longer the best of the best of the best now there were Primaris marines.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

I just wanted terminators without powerfists :negative:

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Milotic posted:

GK are just too Mary Sue. DeathWatch is an example how to do best of the best without it being awful and it being enticing. We. rib our GK player about it. He was upset that GK were no longer the best of the best of the best now there were Primaris marines.

GK are probably one of the first books out so they can get their own bigmars, otherwise there's not really any reason to replace the index so soon.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I managed to find a copy of the old Daemonhunters codex where the GKs were just special and not super special awesome like they got later.
I will readily admit I like that version the most.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

xtothez posted:

GK are probably one of the first books out so they can get their own bigmars, otherwise there's not really any reason to replace the index so soon.

I'm guessing they actually won't be gettting anything primaris, and that's why they're getting a quick codex, nothing new on the horizon.

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS

Cooked Auto posted:

I managed to find a copy of the old Daemonhunters codex where the GKs were just special and not super special awesome like they got later.
I will readily admit I like that version the most.

Matt Wards stupid bullshit in the codex after that one ruined them super hard IMO

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Is there a way to magnetize/build sentinels so they can be either armored or scout? The only sentinel I have came pre-built.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
Finished my first Primaris Ultrabro:

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

The Kingfish posted:

Is there a way to magnetize/build sentinels so they can be either armored or scout? The only sentinel I have came pre-built.

Not easily, no. I doubt most people would care if you're proxying them, though, as long as you're not taking both kinds.

Major Spag
Nov 4, 2012

Pendent posted:

If you're getting Death Company in combat against something and not requiring a literal bucket of dice for your attacks you're doing something wrong.

Blood Angels have way better options for killing hard targets- Sanguinary Guard, TH/SS Terminators. Company Veterans with JP are incredibly flexible and can do pretty much whatever you need. Death Company should be focusing on what they're good at and taking a pretty light loadout to do it- 10 man squad mostly armed with bolters and chainswords, throw a few power weapons in and maybe a thunder hammer. Use them as a fairly hard hitting, mobile, expendable squad that your opponent has to react to.

Edit: I really want to go back to my original point about graphs with expected damage output etc not being all that useful. This is a squad of dudes who are going to die. That is literally their entire point, both in the fluff and on the tabletop. They need to be built with that expectation kept firmly in mind.

I honestly don't know what to say. Someone asked the best weapons for DC and based on mathhammer sperging, THammers seem to win out in a vacuum overall. Are there more effective units? Hell loving yes, but he didn't ask about those units. poo poo, berzerkers are the same point level and hit much harder with little to no upgrades so maybe he should run those?

My opinion is that swords and axes are really loving cheap. So if you want to crunch 1w T4 units, go wild. But you still have massive fire raining on your advanced. Which is why your transport is super important. If you want to crunch multiwound/high toughness models, thammers are better as you are still kinda effective vs. low wound/toughness models. I also indicated fists along with thunder hammers because you can at least have a bolter added which gives them more shooting to cover their advance. It also gives them something to use when under cover.

Personally, I have a cheap DC squad (about 8 dudes) without packs and with almost no upgrades. They ride in a crusader or a rhino and do what they are expected to do: die horribly. When they hit, they put out bucket loads of dice (40 dice if I bring Mephiston along, which I do). They're basically my infantry breakers since that forces the enemy to break combat if they want to survive. Having 3" consolidation is also really loving useful if my enemy is dumb enough to set up firing lines. Don't depend on your feel no pain because it's garbage this edition (17% success probability is quite lovely). Tough break for the unit that pretty much started FNP. Personally, since they are comparable to Berzerkers, I'd give them back their 5+ FNP so that Chaos has super hitty while Imperials get super tanky.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
Yeah I hope they see a buff, they wen't from being clutch (the last time I played seriously) to a somewhat pricey road block. I've got 11 DC and only two are magnetized to accept weapon upgrades. No jump packs right now. I usually run them with Lemartes because *my immersion* . Going to bring them in a Storm Raven with a DC Dread.

The only thing I want more than a buffed DC is the ability to place Assault Troops in the Troop slot. Admittedly it's somewhat meaningless now but old wants die hard.

E: Whoever mentioned bigly Sanguinary guard can :frogout: It doesn't make sense fluff wise and I just got a box of them.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Pendent posted:

Given the current state of Forgeworld I'm not sure the 30k players get to keep smugging about their game being better. Remember there is a 7.5 update in your future.

:smugdog::pipe:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

DumbparameciuM posted:

Matt Wards stupid bullshit in the codex after that one ruined them super hard IMO

Yeah I know that in this case. Hence why I liked their less overdone approach in the previous codex a lot more. Even if they could probably benefited from some of the units that showed up later. (But not the babycarrier.)

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.

LordAba posted:

Biovores. Are people actually taking them?

Biovores are one of the better sources of Mortal Wounds, it appears. Stack a full squad in a Tyrannocyte and watch them go to town. Boom: no more Wulfen/Terminators/Meganobz/[insert heavy infantry].

Unrelated: My wife is looking to pare down to just 2 armies, so has decided to let her Dark Angels go. Anyone looking to start? She has like 2 Land Raiders, 1-2 Drop Pods, a Vindicator, and mostly Terminators and Ravenwing bikers. When I get the time to catalogue and photo everything I will.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

Biovores are one of the better sources of Mortal Wounds, it appears. Stack a full squad in a Tyrannocyte and watch them go to town. Boom: no more Wulfen/Terminators/Meganobz/[insert heavy infantry].

Unrelated: My wife is looking to pare down to just 2 armies, so has decided to let her Dark Angels go. Anyone looking to start? She has like 2 Land Raiders, 1-2 Drop Pods, a Vindicator, and mostly Terminators and Ravenwing bikers. When I get the time to catalogue and photo everything I will.

Depending on how Dark Angely they are I may be interested. I don't play DA but love bikes, termies, and land raiders.

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

I might be interested in some of it!

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Seems weird to provide GK update unless they were getting some new release...

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
They needed to get a hard counter to chaos armies released asap.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

LingcodKilla posted:

They said in the Community post that new book doesn't necessarily mean new models.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

LingcodKilla posted:

Seems like the right time to fix some of the holes in their inventory with plastic kits for the missing metal and finecast stuff (can't imagine the excitement when we see plastic Jokaero), and every marine faction is gonna need a couple of tallboys, which I think is why it's all marines all the time for the first, I'm going to guess here, six codices.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Corrode posted:

They said in the Community post that new book doesn't necessarily mean new models.

Nobody is gonna buy tiny marines anymore.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Corrode posted:

Makes sense, if rules are going to be in the kit, then there's absolutely no necessity to tie kits to codex releases.

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

I sure hope the new CSM book is accompanied by at least a new basic chaos marines kit and a new havocs kit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

DO IT TO IT posted:

I sure hope the new CSM book is accompanied by at least a new basic chaos marines kit and a new havocs kit.

hahahahah not with a promise like that from GW!

Convert biglies.... they are ... big.