Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
All current production rumors and buzz point to BBC having absolutely zero intention of casting a woman in the role. It's (almost certainly) not happening this time and all these articles are just wishful thinking. I'd love to be proven wrong, but we should probably just brace ourselves for Tennant 2.0.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

but we should probably just brace ourselves for Tennant 2.0.

Tennant's career has flatlined so badly that I wouldn't be stunned if Chibnall pulls some wibbly wobbly, timey wimey poo poo out of his rear end at Christmas and surprises us all with another year or two of Ten.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
I wouldn't call one of the most talked about shows since Downton Abbey a flatline, tbh.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

TinTower posted:

I wouldn't call one of the most talked about shows since Downton Abbey a flatline, tbh.

I didn't know Ducktales was THAT popular.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Your school's stupid and your school's ba-ha. :colbert:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It would be pretty funny if it turned out the Beeb was actually playing a big trick and in fact deliberately leaked the twists about John Simm and the Mondasian Cybermen so people would be really surprised when they announced that the Thirteenth Doctor is Ruth Wilson* Natalie Dormer** not Tennant 2.0.

* :smith:

** :smith: :smith:

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

I prefer my Doctors old and grumpy, there's more inherent menace to them.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Angela Lansbury would've been a brilliant Doctor back in... Well, just about any time in the past 50 years or so (like Dame Maggie Smith, she is one of those actors who to my mind has always seemed old), though I'm specifically thinking of her turn as Eglantine Price. :D

Seriously, that movie: she's the Doctor, the magic bed is the TARDIS, and her companions are three Blitz orphans and a flashy London wide boy.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Actually the one argument in the favor of Literally Tennant 2.0 is that Chibnall has spent the last few years working closely with him. :tinfoil:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Literally Tennant 2.0 is probably on the short list of things that would get me to quit this show for the foreseeable future.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Astroman posted:

Actually the one argument in the favor of Literally Tennant 2.0 is that Chibnall has spent the last few years working closely with him. :tinfoil:

I'd much rather have that argument be used in favour of Olivia Colman.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

My only problem with Olivia Colman is I've only ever seen her in Broadchurch playing Serious and Sad. Can she do whimsical and funny? I'm not saying we need another Tennant or Smith "Madman With A Box" per se, but I do feel she'd tack a lot close to Capaldi's vibe.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
You should watch Peep Show immediately

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Astroman posted:

My only problem with Olivia Colman is I've only ever seen her in Broadchurch playing Serious and Sad. Can she do whimsical and funny?

Peep Show and Hot Fuzz for sure. Of all the names rumored for a female Doctor, she's by far my favorite choice. She's great.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Or 'That Mitchell and Webb Look'.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Or Look Around You!

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Astroman posted:

My only problem with Olivia Colman is I've only ever seen her in Broadchurch playing Serious and Sad. Can she do whimsical and funny? I'm not saying we need another Tennant or Smith "Madman With A Box" per se, but I do feel she'd tack a lot close to Capaldi's vibe.

Just check her resume - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olivia_Colman - she is a good actress with a mix of comedy and serious roles.

That said I would prefer a less well known actor.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I have no doubt she can "do" comedy--certainly so could Peter Capaldi. But it's comedy of a type--dry, serious, etc. I just don't see that there would be a dramatic tonal difference between her Doctor and his, if that's what they're going for.

It'd be a lot like going from 10 to 11, but the other side of the coin.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Actually yeah, I can kinda see that.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
If you're looking for a David Tennant type that worked with Chibnall before, it has to be Jonathan Bailey.

He's very funny, can do dramatic stuff, and he's exactly the kind of image that the BBC would think would appeal to young women. He's not exactly imposing, though.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Open Source Idiom posted:

If you're looking for a David Tennant type that worked with Chibnall before, it has to be Jonathan Bailey.

He's very funny, can do dramatic stuff, and he's exactly the kind of image that the BBC would think would appeal to young women. He's not exactly imposing, though.

He was in Time Heist!

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
If it isn't Charles Dance in Missy's costume as next Doctor you're doing it wrong.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Wheat Loaf posted:

Angela Lansbury would've been a brilliant Doctor back in... Well, just about any time in the past 50 years or so (like Dame Maggie Smith, she is one of those actors who to my mind has always seemed old), though I'm specifically thinking of her turn as Eglantine Price. :D

Seriously, that movie: she's the Doctor, the magic bed is the TARDIS, and her companions are three Blitz orphans and a flashy London wide boy.

Maggie Smith can't be the Doctor. She needs to be available at all times in order to play Granny Weatherwax in some future Discworld production :colbert:.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
I was working next door to Idris Elba a couple of weeks ago. Was really, really tempted to ask him to pose with the spare TARDIS manual I have but I don't think the internet heat would have been worth it.

Olivia Coleman would be incredible, but, yunno.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
I'd really like another relative unknown like Matt Smith, to be honest. Capaldi is obviously an incredible actor but I still struggle to look at him in Doctor Who and think 'The Doctor' rather than 'Famous Actor Peter Capaldi', whereas it's the other way round with Smith. But that might just be a failure of imagination on my part.

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

Barry Foster posted:

I'd really like another relative unknown like Matt Smith, to be honest. Capaldi is obviously an incredible actor but I still struggle to look at him in Doctor Who and think 'The Doctor' rather than 'Famous Actor Peter Capaldi', whereas it's the other way round with Smith. But that might just be a failure of imagination on my part.

A relative unknown with strong theatre experience worked for Smith and Tennant, and Phoebe Waller-Bridge fits that mould. But Auntie have the ability to keep a secret so we probably won't know until they want us to. But while we are speculating what about Tatiana Maslany, good actor already worked with part of the BBC and is a pretty big contrast to Capaldi.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Barry Foster posted:

I didn't really know Capaldi from anything other than being the sweary awesome Scottish guy from The Thick Of It.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

HERAK posted:

But while we are speculating what about Tatiana Maslany, good actor already worked with part of the BBC and is a pretty big contrast to Capaldi.

I think she'd be a great choice, but I'm Canadian, so I'm probably biased. :canada:

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

AndyElusive posted:

I didn't really know Capaldi from anything other than being the sweary awesome Scottish guy from The Thick Of It.

He was in the excellent only Torchwood mini-series, and was in the Pompeii episode, as was Karen Gillan, so who else was good in that?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

HERAK posted:

He was in the excellent only Torchwood mini-series, and was in the Pompeii episode, as was Karen Gillan, so who else was good in that?

Ya I should state that while I knew him from his part in The Fires of Pompeii, I also didn't watch any Torchwood so I never knew him from his role on that series.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

He was the Angel Islington in the original tv version of Neverwhere.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

He's in a random episode of early Poirot.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

He was also in the World War Z movie as a WHO doctor :haw:

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

He was in an episode of Midsomer Murders too!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The Doctor Who spoiler thread: now just the IMDB page for Peter Capaldi, spread out through individual posts.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

He was in a band with Craig Ferguson! :haw:

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

And he was the Twelfth Doctor between 2013 and 2017! :downs:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

He won an oscar!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
When he was announced, my mum asked me who he was, but the only role she recognised was "the Songs of Praise producer on The Vicar of Dibley".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I'm in two minds about Olivia Colman, because on the one hand I've seen her in so many things that I'm a little bit sick of her, but on the other hand casting an average looking woman in her mid-forties as the lead in a franchise like this is exactly the kind of bold thing that I'd loving love to see.

I dunno. I'd just quite like to see a woman in the role if only because it would mix up the traditional dynamic of female companion/male Doctor. I think thats why I've loved Nardole so much in this recent season actually, because he changes that a little bit and its refreshing.

• Locked thread