Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Why don't they make it so you can't exit a vehicle if your moving at a speed that will cause you to die from falling?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Spudalicious posted:

I won the second match I ever played. Similar level of disbelief.

i won the second match i ever played w/6 kills and im pretty sure 5 of those were with an s12 just running around shotgunning terrible players

qkkl posted:

Why don't they make it so you can't exit a vehicle if your moving at a speed that will cause you to die from falling?

car explosions kill you, jumping out of a car knocks you

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Adding to this, on bolt action weapons, you can hold down the trigger to keep your eye on the scope until you release. Useful if you're not sure of your zeroing and need to see where the bullet lands.

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Verviticus posted:

car explosions kill you, jumping out of a car knocks you

In solo it kills you.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

qkkl posted:

that's already in the game, just turn on the "don't push the exit vehicle button when going fast" option

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

qkkl posted:

When you get in a car, just unbind the use button.

Then when you want to exit, bind it again.

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
did they seriously make the parachute drop realistic enough that it actually considered the higher air pressure at lower altitudes? if they actually did that it would explain everything about the development decisions in this game.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
dev's an arma guy, that's all you need to know

that said faster looting without tab was a great non-verisimilitude QoL change

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

IronicDongz posted:

dev's an arma guy, that's all you need to know

that said faster looting without tab was a great non-verisimilitude QoL change

ok that explains it. it also explains the macho individualistic mindset of a lot of posters here.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

So I'm starting to get a better hang of this game. Sneakily looting, closing doors behind me, rushing dudes who land nearby with the first weapon I get since they never seem to expect it. Got to the top ten for the first time today.

However I don't know if it's a graphics setting or my network but like as soon as someone shoots at me my framerate drops to like 2 FPS. Had a dude in my sights in one of the final circles but after a couple initial hits he started bunny hopping around, then as soon as I had to reload he started firing back and I couldn't retaliate because everything got so loving slow and I died before my fps recovered. I've turned vegetation, shadows, and post-processing to very low but is there some other settings I should min or is it just my network/the netcode?

Molothecat
Jul 25, 2007

Wrath, hate, pain, and death!

anyone else get texture loading issues when you first land? I have it installed on an ssd and it doesn't do it all the time, but when it does, it's basically a death sentence.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Hi so I've got 25 or so wins on this here game and no it doesn't favor hiding as a strategy. In your first 15 or 25 games when it is still matching you with people who are effectively deaf dumb and blind yeah hiding is probably powerful. Later, it favors staying silent to ambush people for periods of time, and sometimes you should hole up in a building from 40 alive until 15 alive (or until circle forces you out) but if your strategy is to hide your way to wins, your odds of winning will be garbage. Especially once your matchmaking rank gets high enough that you're in games with people who actually know how to throw grenades and can pinpoint where your loud rear end is in a building.

Seriously, do you understand how effective grenades are? Stun grenades blind people for 7 seconds. The kill radius on frag grenades is pretty generous and they take like 5 minutes of practice to master throwing. Smokes are also 100% something you should be picking up and make dealing with campers a breeze.

I'm biased because one of my favorite things in this game is killing people hiding in buildings. PUBG gives you a lot of tools to murder the gently caress out of them. Just frag or stun them, then run in with an uzi or shotgun then loot their suppressors and 8xs and health kits.

E: also turn foliage and draw distance both to very low and shoot all the idiots who think grass conceals them.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
This game needs 2 things: a killcam so I can see what I did wrong and a bloodbath start where you all parachute at the same time.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Kill cam would have to be solo only

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I want to start with pistols(no glock)

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

rumble in the bunghole posted:

This game needs 2 things: a killcam so I can see what I did wrong and a bloodbath start where you all parachute at the same time.

Agree on both. Solo can be frustrating with no kill cam because I want to get better by playing the game, not by watching other people play the game. I did squad up with some goons today though and that helped tremendously. Solo is still a whole other bag of dicks though.

Today for instance, in solo, I was down to final 15 or so and hoofing it to one of the last few circles. I was being careful to use cover and poo poo, but apparently some guy had materialized behind me at some point.

Now, obviously there's a lesson to be learned about keeping an eye behind you periodically when you are in open terrain, but seriously, I am struggling to see how he was able to get so close to me without me hearing anything. Definitely not a vehicle. I guess he might have been on the other side of a rock or bush, it's really the only thing that makes sense.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
I like this game because there is always a reason you died. Sometimes its because you just got your head blown off in a ranged battle, other times its because you left your run too late but the single life means you get to mull over why you died that time.

Also because sometimes you just ruin someones day

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Seriously, do you understand how effective grenades are? Stun grenades blind people for 7 seconds. The kill radius on frag grenades is pretty generous and they take like 5 minutes of practice to master throwing. Smokes are also 100% something you should be picking up and make dealing with campers a breeze.

grenades are good, but they are also bad most of the time because of how long it takes to use them. I think a dedicated throw equipped grenade button would be a good thing. I like throwing frags into buildings people are camping in and then opening the door when they explode so they don't hear me coming.

succ
Nov 11, 2016

by Cyrano4747
I just got killed by this guy under suspicious circumstances but can't say for sure on anything. 20% w/r and that high of a k/d has to be suspect though, right?

https://pubgtracker.com/profile/pc/PaCMaN-?region=na

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

succ posted:

I just got killed by this guy under suspicious circumstances but can't say for sure on anything. 20% w/r and that high of a k/d has to be suspect though, right?

None of his stats are really that suspicious...

Here is my buddy, who has much better stats than him.

https://pubgtracker.com/profile/pc/great_cornholio?region=na

succ
Nov 11, 2016

by Cyrano4747
50% in solos... what the gently caress is he doing?

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

succ posted:

Post the replay

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Hi so I've got 25 or so wins on this here game and no it doesn't favor hiding as a strategy. In your first 15 or 25 games when it is still matching you with people who are effectively deaf dumb and blind yeah hiding is probably powerful. Later, it favors staying silent to ambush people for periods of time, and sometimes you should hole up in a building from 40 alive until 15 alive (or until circle forces you out) but if your strategy is to hide your way to wins, your odds of winning will be garbage. Especially once your matchmaking rank gets high enough that you're in games with people who actually know how to throw grenades and can pinpoint where your loud rear end is in a building.

I'm biased because one of my favorite things in this game is killing people hiding in buildings. PUBG gives you a lot of tools to murder the gently caress out of them. Just frag or stun them, then run in with an uzi or shotgun then loot their suppressors and 8xs and health kits.

E: also turn foliage and draw distance both to very low and shoot all the idiots who think grass conceals them.

The philosophical question: when does setting up an ambush turn into camping/hiding?

Depending on when in the game it is, sometimes, it's better to leave doors open, because that's the sign of "some dude tore rear end out of here", and people tend to forget to sweep on seemingly empty places, especially when there's no loot, it looks like a fresh drop house, and those get picked clean oftentimes.
Stun grenades are still rear end, they still tank frames, but the best part about smokes is people think you throw them to use them; meanwhile I go the other direction and flank them with a loving cloud.

If you clear a site, always smash open the windows. Might give you away, might not, but you can snipe without giving away your position due to window breaks later, and with a flash hider/suppressor, it's a demon.

Also, dumping a mag of the vector through a door and killing someone is the salted caramel of tears.

Only thing better was the time I landed on the roof of crater prison with someone and I punched him down while he scrambled for the shotgun. Risky play, but beating someone to death right at the start is never a bad way to begin :dukedog:

Question: What wearables do people actually use? I've heard whispers that no shoes makes less sound when it rains, and I'm pretty sure that wearing the urban camo in an urban setting might have helped once, but I suppose it's more a question of personal preference I'm asking

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Mistle posted:

The philosophical question: when does setting up an ambush turn into camping/hiding?
I feel like this is one of those things that's difficult to define concretely but you kind of know it when you see it. If someone's primary tactic is to hole up in a building or whatever and never engage or move unless forced to, then I'd call that camping. If you're just being sneaky and using ambush tactics as one part of a larger overall strategy focused on actively eliminating possible threats while minimizing personal risk, that's just playing smart.

Chopstix
Nov 20, 2002

Apparently Grimmmz killed me while we were fighting for a crate, but I dont remember it at all.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Mistle posted:

Question: What wearables do people actually use? I've heard whispers that no shoes makes less sound when it rains, and I'm pretty sure that wearing the urban camo in an urban setting might have helped once, but I suppose it's more a question of personal preference I'm asking

I usually go for basic dark. All my jackets are way light, but I'll probably cover it up with a dark jacket once I get my hands on one. I think the dirty tank top might be better camouflage, but one has to be a little bit stylish.

amotea
Mar 23, 2008
Grimey Drawer
I wear the shiny golden slav jacket, big pimpin big kills.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

succ posted:

Probably cheats. Anyone who defends him also cheats.

Grimmz cheats too, why you think he covers his minimap?

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44AOr6ch6a4

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Willfrey posted:

Probably cheats. Anyone who defends him also cheats.

Grimmz cheats too, why you think he covers his minimap?

tbh when I watch Grimmz the sounds of his footsteps are much louder than in my game, don't know how he gets them that loud without being deafened by gunshot sounds.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
I'm not accusing grimmz of cheating. I just assume he's on another level than me. I know he is, but watching him is weird. It's almost like he's receiving information the viewer can't see. I watch ninja or other streamers and it's not as jarring. I want to watch more now that I'm more comfortable with the game, but that would mean I'd have to not queue up.

cyanidewolf
Sep 1, 2007

Truly the corgiest of goodposts

cosmicjim posted:

I'm not accusing grimmz of cheating. I just assume he's on another level than me. I know he is, but watching him is weird. It's almost like he's receiving information the viewer can't see. I watch ninja or other streamers and it's not as jarring. I want to watch more now that I'm more comfortable with the game, but that would mean I'd have to not queue up.

He is. You can't see half the things a streamer sees because of the potato quality of the broadcast.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

qkkl posted:

tbh when I watch Grimmz the sounds of his footsteps are much louder than in my game, don't know how he gets them that loud without being deafened by gunshot sounds.

You can play around with the audio enhancement settings for your playback device in windows; Realtek devices have a Loudness Equalization feature which will reduce the dynamic range of the game's output so that footsteps will become louder and gunshots will remain at the same volume.

I'm not saying that's what Grimmz does, just saying that this can be tinkered with.

Carebearz
May 6, 2008

CARE BEAR STARE

:regd10:

cyanidewolf posted:

He is. You can't see half the things a streamer sees because of the potato quality of the broadcast.

do you have any solid proof he's cheating or are you just speculating?

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3
Having a 30"+ high refresh rate monitor is his biggest cheat.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Being accused of cheating is the ultimate form of flattery to a gamer.

cyanidewolf
Sep 1, 2007

Truly the corgiest of goodposts

Carebearz posted:

do you have any solid proof he's cheating or are you just speculating?

What. It was a 1440p to 720p non-joke.

Carebearz
May 6, 2008

CARE BEAR STARE

:regd10:

cyanidewolf posted:

What. It was a 1440p to 720p non-joke.

ooooooooh. I've never claimed to be the sharpest tool in the shed so....

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I would love to see Grimmmz start streaming at 1080p @ 6mbps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
Jumping punches do 90% damage? Or is it punch headshots?

Got killed as I landed my parachute by a guy who landed just before me - thought I'd be able to make it to the jeep next to me at least

• Locked thread