Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Regarding the next thread, I would really suggest people NOT use a Fire Stick to power Kodi if they have any other option. And if your primary purpose is to use as a frontend to a DVR backend, I would suggest not even using the powerful Fire TV box. The boxes and the 2nd generation stick have no hardware deinterlacer, which makes them bad for live TV. The first generation stick does a better deinterlacing job, but runs like poo poo. Also, as evidenced in the last post, Android's support for various A/V formats is sketchy.

For reference, my Dad was using a 2nd-generation Fire Stick with Kodi as his DVR interface, and often ran into all kinds of problems. For one, we couldn't get settings to stick unless we quit the app from the power menu (not simply pressed the Home button). Secondly, the connection to the DVR often broke down and sometimes Kodi would break in interesting ways that required rebooting the entire Fire TV Stick. I've since given him a Raspberry Pi 1b (with MPEG2 license) running LibreELEC and he's much happier. You can even configure it to stop playing video when you turn your TV off or switch it to another HDMI input for Netflix/Amazon/Hulu/etc.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jul 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PraxxisParadoX
Jan 24, 2004
bittah.com
Pillbug
An excellent resource for hardware recc's is the official Kodi hardware forum, specifically this thread.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Should put this in the new OP too: https://www.tinymediamanager.org/

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
I have a 1st gen Shield that is connected via HDMI to my sub/sound bar. Lately when I start playing a video sound defaults to PCM instead and DTS or Dolby. If I go into Kodi system settings > audio and change any options for Keep Audio Device Alive is all starts working again...until the next day.

Any ideas? I'm not using optical cables anywhere.

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice
I've found that Kodi doesn't save settings until you exit the app gracefully sometimes so try changing the settings and using the menu within Kodi to exit.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Also if connected over HDMI that really shouldn't make a difference for the most common modes of both. I'm pretty sure Kodi can decode up to Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD to stream as LPCM. You're not losing any quality by doing that, it's just changing which device is decoding the signal.

Now if you're trying to play Dolby Atmos content or something else weird like that which won't work unless you bitstream it that's another matter.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Horn posted:

I've found that Kodi doesn't save settings until you exit the app gracefully sometimes so try changing the settings and using the menu within Kodi to exit.

This seems to have worked. thanks

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

So I have read through the last few pages and am a bit confused. My wife's family has a cabin up on a lake that just got a remodel. They do not have cable, and I am looking at options. I was thinking of getting some internet up there for cheap and look at streaming things. I have an Apple TV I can take up there for most things, but was interested in having the option to use Kodi for live sports on occasion (We will be up there weekends when the weather is nice, so cable seems dumb).

I thought I wanted to buy a Fire stick like every body says, but it seems like the goon consensus is no? I am savvy enough that I can side load poo poo, so that is not the problem. I would like a fairly nice user experience. It seems like a Shield or Fire TV are the best options? I am leaning towards a TV just because of money, but is there anything I am missing?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Snowmankilla posted:

So I have read through the last few pages and am a bit confused. My wife's family has a cabin up on a lake that just got a remodel. They do not have cable, and I am looking at options. I was thinking of getting some internet up there for cheap and look at streaming things. I have an Apple TV I can take up there for most things, but was interested in having the option to use Kodi for live sports on occasion (We will be up there weekends when the weather is nice, so cable seems dumb).

I thought I wanted to buy a Fire stick like every body says, but it seems like the goon consensus is no? I am savvy enough that I can side load poo poo, so that is not the problem. I would like a fairly nice user experience. It seems like a Shield or Fire TV are the best options? I am leaning towards a TV just because of money, but is there anything I am missing?

You should opt for the big Fire TV over the stick but either Fire TV or Shield both work.

Most of the really quirky things people had to deal with regarding Kodi have been resolved. You can download it directly on your box with an app called Downloader. Kodi shows on the front page and the apps list without having to jump through any hoops.

Shield would be a better purchase if you were planning to use an external hard drive full of movies/tv shows.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Call Me Charlie posted:

You should opt for the big Fire TV over the stick but either Fire TV or Shield both work.

Most of the really quirky things people had to deal with regarding Kodi have been resolved. You can download it directly on your box with an app called Downloader. Kodi shows on the front page and the apps list without having to jump through any hoops.

Shield would be a better purchase if you were planning to use an external hard drive full of movies/tv shows.

Thank you so much. That is the exact info I was looking for. I will not be setting up any media server or anything.

I'll upgrade to a fire tv. Thanks!

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Snowmankilla posted:

I have an Apple TV I can take up there for most things, but was interested in having the option to use Kodi for live sports on occasion (We will be up there weekends when the weather is nice, so cable seems dumb).

I've never had good luck with streaming live sports, maybe others have fared better. I ended up getting a cable subscription just so I could watch hockey in HD. I wonder if you would be better off going the route of using whatever streaming service your cable provider at home offers? I'm not sure if they put restrictions on sports broadcasts, but the commercials make it seem like you can stream anything you DVR.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

fletcher posted:

I've never had good luck with streaming live sports, maybe others have fared better. I ended up getting a cable subscription just so I could watch hockey in HD. I wonder if you would be better off going the route of using whatever streaming service your cable provider at home offers? I'm not sure if they put restrictions on sports broadcasts, but the commercials make it seem like you can stream anything you DVR.

That's a really good idea. I am on TimeWarner for both, so I could see them not wanting me to do that. But great idea.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Depending on how remote your cabin is, you could always try putting up an antenna to get OTA stuff.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

I checked that. Seems like 1-3 channels unless I get the huge ones, then like 8.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Has kodi got to the point where it's an OK live TV interface?

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Thermopyle posted:

Has kodi got to the point where it's an OK live TV interface?

If "OK" means "still need to constantly tinker with it, tell people it's rock-solid for you by which you mean you only have to gently caress with it every other day instead of twice a day" then yes.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Ixian posted:

If "OK" means "still need to constantly tinker with it, tell people it's rock-solid for you by which you mean you only have to gently caress with it every other day instead of twice a day" then yes.

lol, so, on par with most of this PC-based living room poo poo.

Speaking of which...I've been using emby as a backend for Kodi for months now with very little maintenance from me. I've got Kodi running on a traditional PC in one room and on a Shield in another room. At some point recently-ish I've got this problem where Kodi on the shield always gets a little out of sync on my watched/unwatched/progress status. So, like if I binge through a few episodes on the PC-based Kodi the Shield Kodi might show one or two of those episodes as not watched.

Anyone else encounter this?

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Thermopyle posted:

Speaking of which...I've been using emby as a backend for Kodi for months now with very little maintenance from me. I've got Kodi running on a traditional PC in one room and on a Shield in another room. At some point recently-ish I've got this problem where Kodi on the shield always gets a little out of sync on my watched/unwatched/progress status. So, like if I binge through a few episodes on the PC-based Kodi the Shield Kodi might show one or two of those episodes as not watched.

The only thing I have seen like this is that I have 2 Shields and the one on the bedroom that doesn't get used as often will get out of sync because KODI doesn't get launched on it as often. Some times it takes it a little while to sync back up, or even more than one try.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Kodi live TV using the HDHomerun plugin has been legitimately flawless for me with the OTA non-transcoding HDHR receiver. I turned it on, channels showed up, and a guide a few seconds later. It just works.

Kodi live TV using the TVHeadend plugin broke in all kinds of weird ways, especially when trying to record, but I have reason to believe most of those issues were on the TVHeadend side of things.

If you want cable TV or DVR features you're probably going to have "fun". If you just want OTA viewing it's great.

Plex is working on building up their DVR capabilities, but the live viewing is currently limited to a small subset of clients.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Thermopyle posted:

Both the Emby and the Plex addon which work by modifying the client db have this problem from time to time; as Lowen points out unless you keep the Kodi client running constantly there's always some sync lag and some of those syncs can have problems.

Both addons have gotten a lot better in recent years but at the end of the day they are kind of hacking around the Kodi client db to work which is one reason neither is allowed in the official repo.

The official Plex for Kodi addon is different. It has it's own quirks and doesn't really integrate with skins at all but there's no syncing to speak of. It's basically a Plex Client that uses the Kodi mediaplayer and subtitle engines. Believe it or not it's probably my favorite Plex Client, I use it instead of the native Android TV client on my Shields. It's kind of the best of both with a few quirks.

If you hate the Plex Client overall though you won't like it either.

Plex is doing a good job with Live TV btw. Doesn't Emby do it still? I remember it wasn't half bad last time I used it. Client support is a bit wonky but I think it works on Android TV?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Ixian posted:

Plex is doing a good job with Live TV btw. Doesn't Emby do it still? I remember it wasn't half bad last time I used it. Client support is a bit wonky but I think it works on Android TV?

Apparently they just enabled it on the Android and Apple TV apps. I just watched a few minutes of Family Feud live on my Note 4 so it seems to work. Previously it was just on iOS and Android TV for some reason. There's still no way to watch live TV through Plex on Chromecast, game consoles, or anything resembling a PC. Those clients can view recordings after they complete but can't just channel surf.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
I guess this is the closest thing to a Android/Shield TV thread.. if anyone else is as displeased as I am (and apparently lots of others) with the new youtube app you can roll it back in the system settings.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug
You know, it'd be something else if Google integrated Youtube's new-ish Live TV service into their excellent Live Channels app given that Pluto TV and Haystack do an excellent job with it today, and I keep scratching my head as to why they haven't - I mean, if any skinny tv streamer is gonna do it, you'd figure it would be theirs - but then this new Youtube app for Android TV rolls out and I remember that whatever side of the company they are operating from is completely hosed.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

The Milkman posted:

I guess this is the closest thing to a Android/Shield TV thread.. if anyone else is as displeased as I am (and apparently lots of others) with the new youtube app you can roll it back in the system settings.

Thank you, I loving hate that update. Annoying login overlay when you load it, every single time. It doesn't let you switch "channels" so because Google tried to integrate G+ with Youtube awhile I'm punished by having to move all of my subs/etc over to a different account. Their own loving Android TV Remote Control app doesn't let you voice search or even use the text input box with your phone, the old one worked fine. It doesn't let you seek in video anymore, instead we're with the netflix style "scene" transitions. Hides some common controls and toggles behind a "..." menu but inexplicably has arcane stuff that isn't hidden.

I'm going to roll it back later tonight when I get off work, thanks for the info. Google is a loving shitshow when it comes to software ecosystem.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf

The Milkman posted:

Oh thank gently caress yes! It somehow has another account based on my real name when they tried to force people into that years ago so my watch history and suggestions are completely barfed.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
What makes Kodi show an "HD" badge next to videos?

I ripped a bunch of TV episodes from a Blu-ray and some are listed as "HD", other random ones don't have any badge next to them. They were all from the same TV show (off of three different discs), ripped all at the same time with MakeMKV, then downsized slightly by running a batch process in Handbrake using the same options for all the episodes. Looks like they all have slightly different aspect ratios (weird), but are all 1920 px wide.

I also have the same issue with videos I ripped off of YouTube, but I figured that was due to random resolutions that some of the videos came in.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Uthor posted:

What makes Kodi show an "HD" badge next to videos?

I ripped a bunch of TV episodes from a Blu-ray and some are listed as "HD", other random ones don't have any badge next to them. They were all from the same TV show (off of three different discs), ripped all at the same time with MakeMKV, then downsized slightly by running a batch process in Handbrake using the same options for all the episodes. Looks like they all have slightly different aspect ratios (weird), but are all 1920 px wide.

I also have the same issue with videos I ripped off of YouTube, but I figured that was due to random resolutions that some of the videos came in.

I think that is skin-dependent.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
I don't think it is?

I mean sure what exact indicator it shows is skin dependant but the SD/HD(/UHD?) probing is done by Kodi itself.

It tries to guess from resolution so if you have some very exotics crops it might mislabel the files.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
Pretty sure it's using ListItem.VideoResolution, and then does a lookup using that value against the Resolution flags. If something's unrecognized because of a non-standard crop (like Keito mentioned), it probably defaults to an SD flag.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Weird thing is it doesn't get an SD tag, it gets nothing. A big blank. It doesn't really bother me other than it looking odd when scrolling through a list.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Uthor posted:

Weird thing is it doesn't get an SD tag, it gets nothing. A big blank. It doesn't really bother me other than it looking odd when scrolling through a list.

could you use something like SickRage to have it create the metadata/xml files?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Yeah, if it's a tag, I'm okay creating an XML file to fix it. Just gotta figure out what the tag would be. I'll do some research on it.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

delete me

codo27 fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Sep 18, 2017

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Figure this is as good a place to post as any. Someone brought me a Chromebox to put Kodi on for them, "Cool, a new toy!" I thought. The last person they sent it to had put OpenElec on it and it was badly outdated. I thought I'd start fresh from the stock OS, but my god what an awful time I'm having trying to get there. I made USB recovery media with google's tool, I run through all the steps, I remove the media and when it restarts I get nowhere. Says booting from hard disk, couple lines of text come up below it and then nothing. Black screen. I made a SD recovery too and tried that, same thing. When I enter recovery again, it says ChromeOS damaged or missing. Also pressing escape doesn't work for me to enter the boot menu, though it did before. What should my next step be? Whats the best option for Kodi on this device? Asus CN60, celeron based.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

codo27 posted:

What should my next step be?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=170

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

codo27 posted:

Figure this is as good a place to post as any. Someone brought me a Chromebox to put Kodi on for them, "Cool, a new toy!" I thought. The last person they sent it to had put OpenElec on it and it was badly outdated. I thought I'd start fresh from the stock OS, but my god what an awful time I'm having trying to get there. I made USB recovery media with google's tool, I run through all the steps, I remove the media and when it restarts I get nowhere. Says booting from hard disk, couple lines of text come up below it and then nothing. Black screen. I made a SD recovery too and tried that, same thing. When I enter recovery again, it says ChromeOS damaged or missing. Also pressing escape doesn't work for me to enter the boot menu, though it did before. What should my next step be? Whats the best option for Kodi on this device? Asus CN60, celeron based.

Should be pretty simple.

http://kodi.wiki/view/chromebox

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

It should be, I've followed that guide. The screw is removed, I'm trying to verify that its in dev mode right now but when I power on holding the recovery button it just comes to the screen saying ChromeOS missing or damaged. Ctrl+D does nothing, I can see the keyboard is registering because I can change the language. I actually got it to boot to the OS a while ago, and when I turned around to see the e-z script procedure it must have crashed. If I boot with nothing plugged in, it will go to a black screen, if I plug in the recovery media at that point it will show the ChromeOS boot logo and then reboot itself, if I pull the SD card after that comes up it just hangs there indefinitely. If I try to boot with the SD card already plugged in, it says missing OS. I'm going nuts here.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
So right now at home I'm running a Windows 10 HTPC with Plex and a family member wants me to do the same for them but honestly I'm tired of dealing with both a Windows 10 HTPC and Plex and definitely don't want to handle that for someone else. What should I be looking at if I want to plug an external hard drive into something and then connect that to a TV via HDMI and everything works just fine? Nvidia Shield looks nice but something cheaper would be good, it'd just be for one 1080p TV. Only issue is that this person won't have home internet except for whenever I'd be over with my phone's hotspot. Is Kodi a good fit for this? What device should I be looking for exactly to run Kodi?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I'm not a plex user but I picked up one of these for someone lately and I must say I'm pretty impressed with the performance. That is only if you really dont wanna get the Shield which the whole forum will recommend to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Speaking of, the Shield got google assistant today, and Kodi is saying v18 will have full support for voice control.

I set it up today and it works as advertised, but I don't have one of the new controllers with the always on mic so stuff like "rewind five seconds" doesn't work. Voice search is dramatically improved, though.