Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Still hoping that Luffy beats Big Mom here since running away to come back and fight again later with this much ridiculous build up and the whole sneaking mission exploding spectacularly is kinda ehh. Like ten more chapters of them running away so they can reset this encounter after Kaido in two real world years and start fighting her and her crew all over again just seems unnecessary. This arc has been really good but Dressrosa and the incredibly bad pacing of that story has me hoping that sort of thing doesn't happen again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Cat Machine posted:

I'm kinda pissed that Luffy fell for the exact same bait that got Ace killed, seems kinda antithetical to the whole 3D2Y training thing

Luffy didn't train to not fall for petty provocations. I don't think he'd want to anyway.

E: Luffy and crew escaping here doesn't mean there's going to be a full other year long or so arc to take down Mama down the line.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Cat Machine posted:

I'm kinda pissed that Luffy fell for the exact same bait that got Ace killed, seems kinda antithetical to the whole 3D2Y training thing

He didn't really. Luffy was already struggling to get away from Sanji and punch her and spent the entirety of last chapter advocating for fighting; all Big Mom's taunt did was make him try harder, not change his mind in any way.

Besides, his take away from the Ace thing wasn't 'I should never fall for taunts', it was 'I should become strong enough that I'll never lose again'. Never losing has nothing to do with taunts really, but does mean that any put to him have no meaning if he wins regardless.

tsob fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Jul 6, 2017

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

tsob posted:

He didn't really. Luffy was already struggling to get away from Sanji and punch her and spent the entirety of last chapter advocating for fighting; all Big Mom's taunt did was make him try harder, not change his mind in any way.

Besides, his take away from the Ace thing wasn't 'I should never fall for taunts', it was 'I should become strong enough that taunts don't matter and I'll never lose again'.
And look at what little good that's doing for him now. He still can't take on yonkous head on and hope to win squarely. This is dumb.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Grouchio posted:

And look at what little good that's doing for him now. He still can't take on yonkous head on and hope to win squarely. This is dumb.

If he actually loses to one you'd have a point, that has yet to happen though. Struggling isn't the same as losing.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Man Luffy got punked by the unexplained and strange power of the one of the 4 strongest pirates in the world, who leads a crew that alone threatens the whole world government. gently caress this manga!! This is bullshit!!!!!

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Man Luffy got punked by the unexplained and strange power of the one of the 4 strongest pirates in the world, who leads a crew that alone threatens the whole world government. gently caress this manga!! This is bullshit!!!!!
You'd think his training for 3D2Y would've been more effective or something.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Also glad that Bart is so committed to the #Strawhat #Brand

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

tbh I just figured that he's still running on fumes when he deflated like that

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

kidcoelacanth posted:

That was the best part of this chapter.

#brandsiren

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

kidcoelacanth posted:

I love the fact that Bart is going to leave a trail of Strawhat merchandise in his wake.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Grouchio posted:

He hasn't exactly lost a crew member yet so his resolve to protect them hasn't been proven wrong. Luffy sometimes loses to a guy before he beats them, that's happened before and I don't think it was really a storytelling issue then, and I don't think it is now.

Manatee Cannon posted:

tbh I just figured that he's still running on fumes when he deflated like that

Luffy going "I'm losing power" kinda makes it seem like something's happening to him but that's probably just a bad mangastream translation yeah. The fact that he got only a hit outta gear 4 means he might just be real tired.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Grouchio posted:

He waltzed through Fishman Island and Punk Hazard without a sweat and even Doflamingo was mostly only an issue because Luffy couldn't maintain Gear Fourth long yet. When he was using it he punked Doflamingo. This arc is the first time he's genuinely struggled since training, and winning despite struggle is more interesting than winning effortlessly. He's already struggled in the past beating Crocodile, Rob Lucci and Moria at the very least and overcome despite those struggles. If you want a story about a character growing up and learning his limits and to turn away from things because they look hopeless then you're looking in the wrong place.

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

While they got to rest for a little bit before the wedding, there is no chance that Luffy is already back at 100% after the ordeal he went through. Which is why Gear 4 wasn't really sustainable here and he kind of just petered out after one clash.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Radish posted:

Still hoping that Luffy beats Big Mom here since running away to come back and fight again later with this much ridiculous build up and the whole sneaking mission exploding spectacularly is kinda ehh. Like ten more chapters of them running away so they can reset this encounter after Kaido in two real world years and start fighting her and her crew all over again just seems unnecessary. This arc has been really good but Dressrosa and the incredibly bad pacing of that story has me hoping that sort of thing doesn't happen again.

The climax was always them running and pulling off the miracle escape, this was told to you before the arc even began, they were not going to pick a real fight with two Emperor's at the same time. Any expectations you had to the contrary are your own fault. It's like Nami said, if they were actually gonna fight they'd bring Zoro and the rest, not just go in with half a crew. Plus this sets up massive retribution from Big Mom, Luffy has basically painted a giant bullseye on everyone affiliated with him. Do you really think she'll let anyone that has helped him here off the hook.

tsob posted:

Why? It's not like anything has even happened; might as well be smug over Luffy fighting Big Mom at the end of the last chapter, claiming that's proof of what'll happen.

Dude you have Luffy literally telling you his plan of attack. He settles Kaidou first, Big Mom is dealt with after and then he gets punked along with all his allies pretty drat fast immediately after even saying that. He's not fighting and beating her here

Asuron fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jul 6, 2017

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

if luffy does leave (bummed to be wrong but it's looking unlikely that they'll stick around for a fight at this point), I wonder how big mom will respond. will she chase them to wano?

either way, just getting out would be an unprecedented victory over an emperor at this point and I wanna see when the news hits during the reverie

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Not everything has to be written to be a sudden twist. Sometimes it's exactly what the author is blatantly telling you.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Asuron posted:

Dude you have Luffy literally telling you his plan of attack. He settles Kaidou first, Big Mom is dealt with after and then he gets punked along with all his allies pretty drat fast immediately after even saying that. He's not fighting and beating her here

As we all know, plans always go as laid and nothing ever changes them. Also, given the build up, dealing with Big Mom after Kaidou would just be anti climactic since he's being built up as more of a physical threat than she is. You're taking something that's still in question as settled for no real reason. Most of his allies aren't even fighting by the way, never mind punked.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
it would be some amateur hour bullshit writing that Oda won't pull even on his worst day for luffy to outloud say "I'll be back to fight you later" and then end up fighting her now anyway

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The plan has spectacularly failed and continues to morph and fail in literally every chapter. Personally I think cobbling together a win against an Emperor against enormous odds is much more exciting than doing exactly what they said they were going to do a year ago since they need the full cast to each fight their bad guy foil. It's not like they don't have three more to deal with and then the Navy and then the World Government and the story is already ridiculously long. I just don't see the narrative benefit to escaping, fighting another guy, and then going back and fighting Big Mom but this time for real. It just feels drawn out. If you don't feel that way that's fine it's not a problem.

It is looking like they are going to split but it's fine to not be ecstatic over every development of a series.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Jul 6, 2017

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
The scale of the cake palace might be throwing me off but uh, what the gently caress do they make dynamite out of in one piece world?

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Although I wish that the Tamatebako made it to the World Government and turned into an accidental assassination attempt on the leaders there, I won't complain how it finally turned out.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I mean, like I said earlier on. Defeating an Emperor needs to be a Big Deal. It happening way too fast in an arc like this didn't sit right with me and I guess Oda agrees.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
How exactly does a ranged Shigen work...?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Green Intern posted:

Although I wish that the Tamatebako made it to the World Government and turned into an accidental assassination attempt on the leaders there, I won't complain how it finally turned out.

I was hoping for the same thing when that first panel came up.

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
the past loving 3 chapters have set up the strawhat runway plan then the end of the chapter fucks with it and makes the situation just a bit more worse (that panel of morgans sweating was actually badass though i cant lie)

it honestly really looks like this fight wont happen since we hit the midpoint a while ago but it just feels so drat anticlimatic especially with last arcs big talk on yonko beatdowns and the whole FOUR EMPERORS SAGA but i still trust oda

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I still reckon this is when we're gonna get the fighting food from Sanji, it'd be a very good way for them to get Luffy back into fighting shape from his obvious weakness and tie into the theme of Sanji being valuable for reasons that Judge would never even think of.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Green Intern posted:

I got excited for a minute when that's what it looked like was happening.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

RatHat posted:

You point at something really hard and pretend to dig in.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Julias posted:

I was hoping for the same thing when that first panel came up.

That wouldve made things (more) terrible for fishpeople all around wouldnt it.

Im sad it didnt go back to buggy.
That being said jeepers thats a big rear end explosion:stare: wanna meet the fishman who made it happen.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I was expecting big mom to open it personally but this was still good

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The bomb was cool. I just remembered that the bomb was put in that box back in 2012 and finally exploded.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Luffy has to have a rematch with the Big Mom Pirates alongside the Strawhat Armada so that Hazrudin can be all "YOU ARE A DISAPPOINTMENT TO OUR PEOPLE, CHARLOTTE." holy loving lol, I would love if oda did a whole bunch of whatifs.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I think Big Mom's glowing hand had something to do with draining Luffy's energy similar to Blackbeard.

Plus, it seems like Gear Fourth is to the New World what Gear Second and Third were to Enies Lobby: a powerful enhancement with some drawbacks but can further refined with mastery.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

SyntheticPolygon posted:

He hasn't exactly lost a crew member yet so his resolve to protect them hasn't been proven wrong. Luffy sometimes loses to a guy before he beats them, that's happened before and I don't think it was really a storytelling issue then, and I don't think it is now.
I actually have a feeling that this arc ends and it cuts back to Zoro's troupe getting annihilated by Kaidou and his army.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Interesting that Big Mom decided to cover her hand in Haki to block the punch from Gear Fourth rather than just her default invulnerability.

tsob posted:

It being bad writing doesn't mean it can't happen. Not that I find it particularly egregious writing personally. If Sabo had been introduced in a more gradual or suitable manner I wouldn't find any fault with it at all I think.

Nor do I understand why someone would say Akainu is an unlikely final opponent; he is the head representative of a system that controls the world, causes other possible final opponents (i. e. Blackbeard) to run away just by his presence and most importantly killed Luffy's brother. An event so devastating it was caused him to disband his crew for two years to train so that he would never have to suffer that pain of loss again. It's the single most significant loss he's had in the entire manga, including being beaten by Kuma, going by his reactions to the two events. Kuma made him cry and wonder about his worth; Akainu basically put him in an unresponsive coma from pure shock and was the push he needed to train.

it'd be pretty bad writing regardless of how well Sabo was introduced. Wanting to show Luffy is strong enough to protect anything he wants now is essential but to set up the same scenario of trying to stop an execution of his brother is a really lame way to do that. It'd feel like that was Sabo's only purpose in the story was to set up round two as well as a really lazy and unclever way to thematically pay things off.

Akainu is not the head representative of that system and the last time we saw Akainu arguing with the head representatives of that system and calling them puppets of the Celestial Dragons. Akainu is a real poo poo but to say he's the one who took Ace from Luffy is a very narrow way to look at it when it was just his job as a dog of the Navy and Elder Stars. He's not even that good as a representative of the system when we have been shown, Kong, The Elder Stars, and The Celestial Dragons. That's why when Luffy takes on the World Government Akainu will absolutely be part of it but not the ultimate foe. In fact I would argue Sabo is already being set-up as taking that fight. He blocked Fujitora from going to capture or interfere with Luffy during the Dressrosa Arc. Luffy's brother successfully protecting him from Akainu makes plenty of sense to me. I also wouldn't mind seeing Garp beat the poo poo out of him because "you better hold me down, Sengoku, because I'm going to kill that bastard Sakazuki" was pretty intense. I also see Dragon taking on Kong but that's just a lil theory that I have in the back of my head.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Prediction: the Strawhat Fleet has a spontaneous squadron of Marines that have a change of heart at the final battle like Smoker, Aokiji, and Garp who go rogue following their doubts about Absolute Justice and team up with Pirate King Luffy to square off against Akainu who is emblematic of that corruption.

Plus all the Shichibukai resigning to join Luffy. He's good at making friends like that.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jul 6, 2017

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Also I'm a big fan of Katakuri's apparent Pappug Tattoo

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

RatHat posted:

Uh, didn't Rob Lucci flick his fingernails while he was in Leopard mode as a form of Shigan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh wait no it was just air.

Tobu Shigan "Bachi" (飛ぶ指銃「撥」 Tobu Shigan "Bachi"?, literally meaning "Flying Finger Gun: 'Plectrum'"): Used by Lucci. A projectile version of Shigan that fires sharp compressed air bullets from the fingers, similar to "Rankyaku", and are therefore able to pierce Luffy's rubber body. Unlike all other versions, this type of Shigan is launched by flicking instead of jabbing,[10] though in the anime, Lucci and Jabra demonstrated a variant that involves jabbing. In the Viz Manga, this is called Flying Finger Pistol Sting. The attack's name is a possible play on the term 蜂 (hachi/bachi, lit. bee), hence the projectile nature of the attack and the Viz Manga translation.