Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

tithin posted:

I say Nowi, I mean Nino, because I'm tired.

My Nino kicks rear end even though she's not an ideal IV, but there's so many Hectors in the arena, and they're all so bulky, that even Ryoma / Nino tag team struggle to take him down, especially if he's rocking vantage, and they usually are.

I'm currently levelling an Olivia to 40, I don't even know what her IV is anymore, purely for the sakes of slapping on a TA3 and a brave sword to punch him in his face.

Olivia with TA3 doesn't need a brave sword to ORKO Hector. Neutral IV Olivia with Moonbow will kill all but some merged Hectors in one round.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

tithin posted:

I say Nowi, I mean Nino, because I'm tired.

My Nino kicks rear end even though she's not an ideal IV, but there's so many Hectors in the arena, and they're all so bulky, that even Ryoma / Nino tag team struggle to take him down, especially if he's rocking vantage, and they usually are.

I'm currently levelling an Olivia to 40, I don't even know what her IV is anymore, purely for the sakes of slapping on a TA3 and a brave sword to punch him in his face.

Ohhh. OK. That I can help with! My Nino is -atk/+spd which is hardly ideal but she gets the job done fine. You just have to stack her with enough buffs. Do you have Eirika? She can buff 3 stats at once with her sword, her native Hone Spd, and a Rally. I gave mine Triangle Adept and Moonbow and she can one-round Hectors. No Vantage shenanigans coming into play.

As stated, Triangle Adept Olivia should not need a different weapon to handle Hectors. Between Triangle Adept and (again) Moonbow, she should be able to gank him no problem. If you give her a different weapon, a Brave Sword would be an especially bad idea, because with Hector you want to bait him, not initiate on him. If you bait him with a Brave Sword there's a chance he would double you. What I did with mine... which I admit is probably overkill, is a Ruby Sword+ (drew a 5* Hinata on that Triangle banner awhile back), Fury3 (from that same Hinata), and Moonbow. With that kit, she eats Hectors for breakfast.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.

Hammerstein posted:

I need a second opinion if this is a giant waste or not:

I want to build a super-tanky unit, so here's my +RES -HP Sheena. I want to give her Summer Tiki's Melon Ax for a lesser Fury, Hector's Distant Counter and Threaten Attack, in the vain hope that only red units could put a dent in her.

Bad ? Good ? Wasteful ? Other options ?

To be the gigantic wall of You Shall Not Pass, Sheena desperately needs to be -SPD with Wary Fighter. +RES/+DEF/+HP/+ATK all are wonderful. Do not get rid of her Killer Axe because proc'ing Bonfire (sometimes even Iceberg) is vital for her to kill things. Distant Counter is only good on a +ATK Sheena but, even then, it's better used on Zephiel or Effie (or Eirika, people, it's amazing).

Personally, I have a +ATK/-SPD Sheena with Killer Axe+, Swap, Bonfire, Distant Defense 3, Wary Fighter, Fortify Armor and--if you have it--Quickened Pulse. I ran the stats and if you plant her on a defensive tile, the only thing that can kill her is Hana with Armorslayer+. Yeah, sacrificing a Celica kinda sucks, but you end up with a unit that either tanks every ranged unit worth a drat or forces your opponent to engage her in melee with a Bonfire on the Wary Fighter counter.

You need specific stats and a lot of SI work, but she can put in some serious loving work.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Roger Explosion posted:

To be the gigantic wall of You Shall Not Pass, Sheena desperately needs to be -SPD with Wary Fighter. +RES/+DEF/+HP/+ATK all are wonderful. Do not get rid of her Killer Axe because proc'ing Bonfire (sometimes even Iceberg) is vital for her to kill things. Distant Counter is only good on a +ATK Sheena but, even then, it's better used on Zephiel or Effie (or Eirika, people, it's amazing).

Eirika without TA doesn't seem strong enough to handle relevant greens imo.

(Especially with all these stat inflated units the game throws around these days)

Andrast fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Jul 6, 2017

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

cheetah7071 posted:

Is their plan to make there be so much content that we're forced to eat through our giant stack of 50-100 stamina pots

Because it's working, I've used five in the past week after not using any since the last tempest trials

Oh yeah, I forgot. Don't forget you can get Stamina Potions from My Nintendo! What else are you using those Platinum Coins on, anyway?

Roger Explosion posted:

Personally, I have a +ATK/-SPD Sheena with Killer Axe+, Swap, Bonfire, Distant Defense 3, Wary Fighter, Fortify Armor and--if you have it--Quickened Pulse. I ran the stats and if you plant her on a defensive tile, the only thing that can kill her is Hana with Armorslayer+. Yeah, sacrificing a Celica kinda sucks, but you end up with a unit that either tanks every ranged unit worth a drat or forces your opponent to engage her in melee with a Bonfire on the Wary Fighter counter.

You need specific stats and a lot of SI work, but she can put in some serious loving work.

Before I put Triangle Adept on Eirika, she couldn't one-round Hectors. I'd rather her be able to do that than kill mages on the counter. Nino and Ninian can already do that.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Silver Falcon posted:

Ohhh. OK. That I can help with! My Nino is -atk/+spd which is hardly ideal but she gets the job done fine. You just have to stack her with enough buffs. Do you have Eirika? She can buff 3 stats at once with her sword, her native Hone Spd, and a Rally. I gave mine Triangle Adept and Moonbow and she can one-round Hectors. No Vantage shenanigans coming into play.

As stated, Triangle Adept Olivia should not need a different weapon to handle Hectors. Between Triangle Adept and (again) Moonbow, she should be able to gank him no problem. If you give her a different weapon, a Brave Sword would be an especially bad idea, because with Hector you want to bait him, not initiate on him. If you bait him with a Brave Sword there's a chance he would double you. What I did with mine... which I admit is probably overkill, is a Ruby Sword+ (drew a 5* Hinata on that Triangle banner awhile back), Fury3 (from that same Hinata), and Moonbow. With that kit, she eats Hectors for breakfast.

I actually do have a 5* Eirika I've done nothing with. She's +hp, -def from the looks of things.

Also have a four star -atk + speed...

Might bump up my 4* and fold in my 5* to +1 her, and 5* Mae as well.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

tithin posted:

I actually do have a 5* Eirika I've done nothing with. She's +hp, -def from the looks of things.

Also have a four star -atk + speed...

Might bump up my 4* and fold in my 5* to +1 her, and 5* Mae as well.

I'd say that the +HP/-Def Eirika is better than the +SPD/-ATK Eirika.

Eirika already has really low attack and the -ATK makes it even worse. She has 23 base attack with it, which is like Odin tier. She is going to have trouble killing some greens, possibly even with Triangle adept.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.

Andrast posted:

Eirika without TA doesn't seem strong enough to handle relevant greens imo.

(Especially with all these stat inflated units the game throws around these days)
Perhaps in Infernal maps or Tempest Trials she'd have some trouble, but in the arena she's basically there to check anything that can threaten Nino. Rather than tanking Julia, Cecilia or other Ninos, she's just kills them outright. It also gives her something to do outside of sitting behind blade tome infantry. Albeit, I have a multi-merged +ATK/-DEF Eirika, but still, results are results. I wouldn't be sitting here in Tier 20 without her.

Outside of the arena and its BST though, ahahahahaha no way in hell it's Cav Country all day every day baby!

Silver Falcon posted:

Before I put Triangle Adept on Eirika, she couldn't one-round Hectors. I'd rather her be able to do that than kill mages on the counter. Nino and Ninian can already do that.
Eirika -backed Nino can ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

But to each their own. If it works, do it.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Andrast posted:

I'd say that the +HP/-Def Eirika is better than the +SPD/-ATK Eirika.

Eirika already has really low attack and the -ATK makes it even worse. She has 23 base attack with it, which is like Odin tier.

I was basing that thought process off the builds page which emphasised +spd as really really good

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

tithin posted:

I was basing that thought process off the builds page which emphasised +spd as really really good

+SPD is really good. It's just that -ATK is really really bad on her.

I also prefer +ATK nature over a +SPD nature on her because it fixes her low attack a lot.

Roger Explosion posted:

Definitely. Arena also isn't so difficult that you need to exactly optimize your teams (aside from the BST) so you should go with whatever you like anyway.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Jul 6, 2017

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
5* Eirika is one of the few units that can be functional regardless of IVs. Her primary role is to buff blade tomes- primarly infantry (Nino, Tharja, Linde, Mae, etc). Swordbreaking SORD LORDS, Triangle Adepting Hector or Distant Countering Julia is icing. It's nice if you can do those things, but as long as she up the rear end of a blae tome user (sit down, Odin), you're using her right.

Andrast posted:

I also prefer +ATK nature over a +SPD nature on her because it fixes her low attack a lot.
This.

The only things you should be engaging in combat as Eirika are enemies you have triangle advantage on or a breaker skill to take advantage of, so speed really doesn't matter.

Edit: well, doesn't matter as much. Being doubled still sucks.

Roger Explosion fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Jul 6, 2017

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

-ATK Eirika with swordbreaker can lose to Ryoma depending on who initiates. Ryoma does the same damage to her with one hit that she does to him with two.

-ATK is probably the only IV that really hurts Eirika's utility since it makes so much worse at the non-buffing part.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Roger Explosion posted:

Perhaps in Infernal maps or Tempest Trials she'd have some trouble, but in the arena she's basically there to check anything that can threaten Nino. Rather than tanking Julia, Cecilia or other Ninos, she's just kills them outright. It also gives her something to do outside of sitting behind blade tome infantry. Albeit, I have a multi-merged +ATK/-DEF Eirika, but still, results are results. I wouldn't be sitting here in Tier 20 without her.

Outside of the arena and its BST though, ahahahahaha no way in hell it's Cav Country all day every day baby!

Eirika -backed Nino can ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Hmm. Once she's in Desperation Range, sure. I find it easier to just park Eirika in his range and let her go to town.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
So I play this game via nox (since my Iphone was to old to play it), and the latest update seem incompatible with it. Anyone got any ideas to help me out here? Or do I give up on the game and take solace in the fact I will never whale on it again.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.

Andrast posted:

-ATK Eirika with swordbreaker loses to Ryoma depending on who initiates. Ryoma does the same damage to her with one hit that she does to him with two.

-ATK is probably the only IV that really hurts Eirika's utilty since it makes so much worse at the non-buffing part
Well, someone with a -ATK Eirika engaging in combat with Ryoma deserves the ruined deathless run for playing like a dumbass, but you're still right on the money with the -ATK Eirika though. I'd still recommend promoting her to 5* because buffing infantry blade tomes is just that powerful but, yeesh, the gatcha truly hates you if the only Eirika its crapped out is a -ATK one.

Silver Falcon posted:

Hmm. Once she's in Desperation Range, sure. I find it easier to just park Eirika in his range and let her go to town.
Keep in mind, a -DEF Nino can still tank a fair bit due to her speed. A Rally Defense or a HP seal helps a tonne. Still, I'm not going to lie, planting Eirika is what I do 8/10 times as well.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Hammerstein posted:

Bridelia, Reinhardt, Olivia, Azura for Infernal. Took a few attempts to figure out a strat, but for me this was the easiest infernal so far.

How the hell did you pull this off?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

I managed the Infernal Bound Hero Battle with the horse team. Team Nino might have been able to do it, but even with full buffs my -atk Nino was leaving the green mage with 2 HP. :(

There are occasions where I even notice that my Nino is -atk, and poo poo like that is one of them. The only time it matters is when I'm dealing with mega-inflated stats and defense tiles.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Silver Falcon posted:

I managed the Infernal Bound Hero Battle with the horse team. Team Nino might have been able to do it, but even with full buffs my -atk Nino was leaving the green mage with 2 HP. :(

There are occasions where I even notice that my Nino is -atk, and poo poo like that is one of them. The only time it matters is when I'm dealing with mega-inflated stats and defense tiles.
I actually used a pretty weird team to do infernal - Ursula (who is great at all the blue horses and red heroes), Elise (to heal), Lilina (to bait and kill greens) and Olivia to dance.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
Ursula is a wonderful unit and you should feel good for using her.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

Roger Explosion posted:

Ursula is a wonderful unit and you should feel good for using her.

When I put Ursula into my Horse team and she gets 80x2 against someone it gives me the good feels

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

big trivia FAIL posted:

When I put Ursula into my Horse team and she gets 80x2 against someone it gives me the good feels
Yeah I really like using her and Camus more than Reinhardt I think actually.

MKV's Infernal video is up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcwRT_J56kI

He completed it with all 3 stars - I didn't expect Alm to be the hardest unit to beat, he was one of the easiest for me.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

Fritzler posted:

Yeah I really like using her and Camus more than Reinhardt I think actually.

Eh, my Rein is +ATK w/ Death Blow 3; I can't quit that.

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013
Ahaha.wav. Finally did the Infernal with a half skilled if fully levelled Julia, TriAd MRob, Azura and ArdSac Lucina.

With many retries, skill/seal alternations and damage calculators, got Julia to one turn the Blue Mage, then finish off the weakened green Mage on her turn. This was by far the hardest part and I managed it with exact damage from buffs. Fully skilling Julia first might have been easier, but eh. Then pulled Julia back to kill the lancer with help from MRob and Lucy and that's where the AI gave me the win. Swordlord went in front of Emerald Axe on the left choke while Red Mage started heading around the right way to get Julia.

Az waited for RM to clear the def tiles then wiped her, while MRob was walling SLord with TriAd with the Emerald Axer right behind SLord doing nothing. Lucy keeps MRob topped up from SLord's skill procs while I then took the time to slowly drain EmAxe with Julia blasting the SLord from behind MRob while the EmAxe drains his own HP keeping SLord alive. Eventually, when both enemies were very low, MRob steps to the side and nukes the SLord and Lucy oneshot the EmAxe.

Took me like 4 Stamina Potions and is my second longest Infernal after Legion but at least it was done.

The reward then pushed me to 20 orbs, where I got a Summer Tiki with +Spd -HP, which apparently is pretty good too so that worked out well.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

cheetah7071 posted:

Is their plan to make there be so much content that we're forced to eat through our giant stack of 50-100 stamina pots

Because it's working, I've used five in the past week after not using any since the last tempest trials

I've still got like 102, they ain't stealing my stamina potions. Most of this content isn't time gated and also I don't have enough real time anyway

LightningSquid
Dec 27, 2013

tithin posted:

I'm sitting on 35k feathers and have no idea who i want to build to 5*

I have the following "interesting" units

2x 3* Cecillia, 1 @ -def, +atk, 1 @ -res, +atk

Hey, I don't know if you're still looking for advice, but if you want to run horse emblem eventually, Cecillia slots in well with Xander and Reinhardt/Camus/whoever is your strong blue and +ATK/-DEF is her optimal nature as far as I'm aware. Slap a Gronnblade from a spare Nino on her and go to town.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

I continue to suck at the Squad Assault. I have a lot of high-level dudes but I'm having trouble slotting them all into teams. I can get up to the penultimate (I think) battle, the one with the Awakening crew, but the AI is obnoxiously smart and doesn't let Frederick run out ahead of Chrom where I can bait him without taking a Falchion to the face. Nor can I bait Chrom without eating a hammer to the face. It's super obnoxious.

I resorted to fielding loving Alfonse of all people because at least he can ostensibly handle axe losers. Nowi can handle Chrom, but neither of them can deal with Chrom and Freddie and I can't seem to separate them.

Also I haven't even fielded the A-team yet because I want to save them for whatever bullshit the last map has for me. My Eirika could probably chump both Chrom and Freddie no problem but I might need her laaaaater.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Silver Falcon posted:

I continue to suck at the Squad Assault. I have a lot of high-level dudes but I'm having trouble slotting them all into teams. I can get up to the penultimate (I think) battle, the one with the Awakening crew, but the AI is obnoxiously smart and doesn't let Frederick run out ahead of Chrom where I can bait him without taking a Falchion to the face. Nor can I bait Chrom without eating a hammer to the face. It's super obnoxious.

I resorted to fielding loving Alfonse of all people because at least he can ostensibly handle axe losers. Nowi can handle Chrom, but neither of them can deal with Chrom and Freddie and I can't seem to separate them.

Also I haven't even fielded the A-team yet because I want to save them for whatever bullshit the last map has for me. My Eirika could probably chump both Chrom and Freddie no problem but I might need her laaaaater.

Just park Xander on the bridge with a healer

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

I said I wouldn't pull but I lied and then I got Summer Freddy :toot:

The real jackpot, though, are the two Kleins I pulled along the way.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I didn't even know this bond C&A was a thing. Thanks for the orbs, I guess. I'm kinda scared because I can't win lunatic with horse emblem and that's scary.

Windswept/Waterswept is dumb

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I'm gonna feed heavy blade and galeforce to my Ryoma

good idea y/n

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Tired Moritz posted:

I didn't even know this bond C&A was a thing. Thanks for the orbs, I guess. I'm kinda scared because I can't win lunatic with horse emblem and that's scary.

Windswept/Waterswept is dumb

Horse emblem should have a pretty easy time with it

Andrast fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jul 6, 2017

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Andrast posted:

Just park Xander on the bridge with a healer

That's... a good idea. I had used Xander in the previous map to bait the archer, who was causing problems for the rest of my guys. However anybody with Distant Counter could do that job.

Trouble is I don't have Camus promoted yet... OK new plan. I'll save that for when I get Camus up to snuff. It's not like Squad Assault is going anywhere, right?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Two ways of doing that map: get a healer (with rehab, natch) and a Xander/Hector/stronk tank and have some other throwaway (i use a level 1 hero) with draw back. That way you can pull the healer away from Xander if needed. Or bring 2 healers and a hero with draw back.

The other way of doing that map is using a real team, and that seems wasteful.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

I just parked a 4* Zephiel on one side of the bridge with two healers up his rear end. My fourth was Tharja but any mage would speed it up.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I had an easier time with the Infernal version. I can't even beat the Lunatic version, heh.

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010

Fritzler posted:

MKV's Infernal video is up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcwRT_J56kI

He completed it with all 3 stars - I didn't expect Alm to be the hardest unit to beat, he was one of the easiest for me.

Wow. Just. Wow.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Stephen9001 posted:

So I play this game via nox (since my Iphone was to old to play it), and the latest update seem incompatible with it. Anyone got any ideas to help me out here? Or do I give up on the game and take solace in the fact I will never whale on it again.

What's the exact error you're getting? I'm not sure how helpful I can be but I suspect that mkv video linked earlier was done on an emulator so they probably aren't totally banned

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

What's the exact error you're getting? I'm not sure how helpful I can be but I suspect that mkv video linked earlier was done on an emulator so they probably aren't totally banned
I believe there have been problems with certain systems logging in and getting bonus orbs after the new update, and another update might be coming soon.

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

I feel like Infernal is somehow more doable than lunatic. I go in cautiously on infernal and maybe that's the reason?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I beat lunatic on my first try and I've lost Infernal like half a dozen times so far :saddowns:

I do keep getting owned by Pass being on the right cav though, which is funny because it's so poo poo