Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I was just rewatching and misremembered slightly - they're seeded by her sash but she does briefly take advantage after an initial few moments of bewilderment. In my defense I haven't seen that movie in decades.

In other thoughts a trope I've always liked is the idea that magic only works if you give it some body, not just saying the words and moving the gestures but doing it with style. It's honestly something that feels like a real thing, what's the point in casting spells if you're boring about it? It's used in Bedknobs and Broomsticks where the Substitutiary Locomotion spell works if you say it "With as Flair" as the song goes, also used in Star Vs when Ludo's learning magic properly - Levitato only worked when he concentrated on his will and said it with gravitas.

It feels much grander when that trope is in force, because of course nature isn't going to bend it's own rules for some loser with a wand. If you want to command the elements, you need to command them. Like training anything that can't speak, you need to show it who's boss!

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 11:10 on Jun 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

quote:

At the beginning of World War II, Lamarr and composer George Antheil developed a radio guidance system for Allied torpedoes, which used spread spectrum and frequency hopping technology to defeat the threat of jamming by the Axis powers.[4] Although the US Navy did not adopt the technology until the 1960s, the principles of their work are now incorporated into modern Wi-Fi, CDMA, and Bluetooth technology,[5][6][7] and this work led to their induction into the National Inventors Hall of Fame in 2014.[4][8]

I've just starting reading this and already it's apparent she lived an interesting life.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Not sure if internet shows are fair game, but I love how the youtube show Baman Piderman builds a bizarre internal logic based entirely on playing out like a three-year-old was telling it - each odd thing that gets added builds a fully-realised world gradually, starting in a blank void with Baman and Piderman's houses that gradually becomes more complex as new characters get created or introduced that expand the universe. Also everything that happens has a noticable effect on the landscape, for example in one early episode Baman is seen using a naval-style steering wheel to drive his house a few feet, leaving large grooves that stay there for the rest of the show.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Rough Lobster posted:

I've just starting reading this and already it's apparent she lived an interesting life.

There's a great You Must Remember This episode about her. She lived a hell of a life.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
So im on my mobile phone right now, hooked up to wifi, with bluetooth earbuds listening to Antheil`s pretty out there compositions on youtube. And about to look into that podcast rantmo just posted.

Only thing missing is me getting drone struck with a hellfire missile.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

MariusLecter posted:

So im on my mobile phone right now, hooked up to wifi, with bluetooth earbuds listening to Antheil`s pretty out there compositions on youtube. And about to look into that podcast rantmo just posted.

Only thing missing is me getting drone struck with a hellfire missile.

Better joke would have been cutting the word missile off before the end

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
One of my favourite jokes on the Simpsons is pretty subtle. In one episode, Krusty the Clown plays a clip of Classic Krusty where he is interviewing Robert Frost in 1963. He dumps a bucket of ice on Frost as a joke about his name.

Frost died in January 1963, with the unspoken implication Krusty killed him.

Arc Hammer has a new favorite as of 23:51 on Jun 18, 2017

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Perhaps not subtle but an example of a brilliant little detail in writing is in Galaxy Quest, when the miners first turn scary. The crew all panics and Sigourney Weaver says "Let's get out of here before one of those things eats Guy!" She (and all of them) know who's the prime target for any monsters they encounter.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I like Guys breakdown when he starts panicking about being disposable. "What's my name! Do I have a name!?"

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

BioEnchanted posted:

I like Guys breakdown when he starts panicking about being disposable. "What's my name! Do I have a name!?"

He's mainly panicking because everyone is playing their role from the show, and he had appeared on the show himself as a redshirt whose only role was to be killed.

The best bit is that in the Galaxy Quest revival Guy becomes a main cast member, and that's the only time you ever see or hear his last name. He doesn't even introduce himself by it before they all get taken into space, and when the shuttle crashes in the convention and everyone is being introduced as they stagger out nobody mentions him.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Is Galaxy Quest still the best Star Trek movie ever made

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Calaveron posted:

Beaten by Wrath of Khan and ahead of Undiscovered Country.

Man, there are a lot of lovely Star Trek movies.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Calaveron posted:

IMO it's neck and neck with the one where some klingons get false flag blasted and their purple blood globs up in zero g

e: and those sweet klingon boots

double edit: this was the only old trek movie i saw in a theatre

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5ewfyyE6DI

edit the third: did not see any of the next gen movies in theaters they mostly sucked anyways

syscall girl has a new favorite as of 14:46 on Jun 22, 2017

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Krispy Kareem posted:

Beaten by Wrath of Khan and ahead of Undiscovered Country.

Man, there are a lot of lovely Star Trek movies.

Undiscovered Country's the best Trek film and also the best film about the end of the Cold War.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

rydiafan posted:

Undiscovered Country's the best Trek film and also the best film about the end of the Cold War.

Sulu tea scene best scene

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y57M7_t6IUc

e: my god

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004
No.
It goes:
The One With The Whales.
Galaxy Quest.
KHAAAAAAANNNN!
Klingon Chancellor Franz Ferdinand.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Jedit posted:

The best bit is that in the Galaxy Quest revival Guy becomes a main cast member, and that's the only time you ever see or hear his last name. He doesn't even introduce himself by it before they all get taken into space, and when the shuttle crashes in the convention and everyone is being introduced as they stagger out nobody mentions him.

He's the plucky comic relief! :shobon:

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

WampaLord posted:

He's the plucky comic relief! :shobon:

Speaking of subtle movie moments, at the climax of Galaxy Quest when they show the big bad gunning everyone down in rapid succession, the frame cuts to Guy screaming but he doesn't get hit. The Red Shirt is the only one not to die or be fatally wounded before the time reset.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Calaveron posted:

What about the recent ones where they drive cars and motorcycles real fast and then stuff explodes? They used a beastie boys song to beat the bad guys, how could that possibly be bad

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Tuxedo Ted posted:

Speaking of subtle movie moments, at the climax of Galaxy Quest when they show the big bad gunning everyone down in rapid succession, the frame cuts to Guy screaming but he doesn't get hit. The Red Shirt is the only one not to die or be fatally wounded before the time reset.

Hahaha, that's loving great. Yea, he's just standing there and screaming.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Jedit posted:

He's mainly panicking because everyone is playing their role from the show, and he had appeared on the show himself as a redshirt whose only role was to be killed.

".... another shipmate!"

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

".... another shipmate!"

And a friend!

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Yeah, that's the icing - Guy's character arc is to become Guy Fleegman.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
Has anyone mentioned the aspect ratio changing when the doors open to send Tim Allen back to Earth on the pod?

Not really subtle in the way we use it, but Rainn Wilson (Dwight) is an alien who picks up Tim Allen in the car and has one line.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

".... another shipmate!"

It's been a while since I saw it, but I thought "another shipmate" was for the alien girlfriend and Guy just wasn't noticed.

If it wasn't, though, it's another layer on the joke because they land in Guy's own convention. The MC thus knows exactly who he is and still doesn't recognise him. Nor for that matter does the turbonerd who knows everything about the show.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I had to go and check to be sure, but yeah, it's for Guy, which is extra great for the reasons you mentioned

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_em3yf1ob0&t=143s

It seems they don't announce Laliari though which is a shame, but they had to cut to show Serris so yeah

Phineas Rhyne
Dec 24, 2009

Jedit posted:

It's been a while since I saw it, but I thought "another shipmate" was for the alien girlfriend and Guy just wasn't noticed.

If it wasn't, though, it's another layer on the joke because they land in Guy's own convention. The MC thus knows exactly who he is and still doesn't recognise him. Nor for that matter does the turbonerd who knows everything about the show.

The culmination of the joke is that in the rebooted TV series, Guy gets cast as chief of security.

Any fan of TNG knows that between the constant klingon horseshit of Worf having two spines or whatever, and Tasha Yar dying and being retconned multiple times, chief of security is the closest anyone can get to immortality.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Phineas Rhyne posted:

The culmination of the joke is that in the rebooted TV series, Guy gets cast as chief of security.

Any fan of TNG knows that between the constant klingon horseshit of Worf having two spines or whatever, and Tasha Yar dying and being retconned multiple times, chief of security is the closest anyone can get to immortality.

You could argue that Tasha Yar getting killed in season 1 is the real culmination of the joke.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Jedit posted:

You could argue that Tasha Yar getting killed in season 1 is the real culmination of the joke.

Never love a robot

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Just had to steal this one from Reddit:

Saving Private Ryan beach scene:
http://i.imgur.com/qeGwlOi.gifv

The medic on the left gets shot through the canteen (and doesn't notice). a few seconds in the water turns red with blood from the wound :psyboom:

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

NtotheTC posted:

Just had to steal this one from Reddit:

Saving Private Ryan beach scene:
http://i.imgur.com/qeGwlOi.gifv

The medic on the left gets shot through the canteen (and doesn't notice). a few seconds in the water turns red with blood from the wound :psyboom:

And here we can remind everyone that Saving Private Ryan lost the Best Picture Oscar to a movie starring that GOOP lady and the Fiennes brother who later played Michael Jackson in a TV movie.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah but Shakespeare In Love is actually real charming.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
And Saving Private Ryan is real boring outside of the opening twenty minutes.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Krispy Kareem posted:

And here we can remind everyone that Saving Private Ryan lost the Best Picture Oscar to a movie starring that GOOP lady and the Fiennes brother who later played Michael Jackson in a TV movie.

There are probably dozens of examples of decisions that look questionable (or downright horrible) in retrospect. At least Spielberg won Best Director.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Sand Monster posted:

There are probably dozens of examples of decisions that look questionable (or downright horrible) in retrospect. At least Spielberg won Best Director.

LA Confidential losing to Titanic will infuriate me until the day I die.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I really think Titanic wouldn't be as derided if it wasn't for James Horner and Celine Dion writing that godawful song necessitating reframing the movie as a romance instead of a disaster movie.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Arcsquad12 posted:

I really think Titanic wouldn't be as derided if it wasn't for James Horner and Celine Dion writing that godawful song necessitating reframing the movie as a romance instead of a disaster movie.

It's not the song's fault that the move is viewed as a romance, it's all the romantic stuff in the movie.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
No that happens sometimes. Disney totally rewrote 'Frozen' to fit "Let it Go" after the songwriters came up with it. Originally the Snow Queen (Elsa) was meant to be a real villain.

Imagined has a new favorite as of 16:22 on Jul 6, 2017

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Imagined posted:

No that happens sometimes. Disney totally rewrote 'Frozen' to fit "Let it Go" after the songwriters came up with it. Originally the Snow Queen (Elsa) was meant to be a real villain.

And that's why the script is so tonally inconsistent.
Call be a curmudgeon but Frozen is the one super popular movie I hate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Inzombiac posted:

And that's why the script is so tonally inconsistent.
Call be a curmudgeon but Frozen is the one super popular movie I hate.

It's really dumb, the villain twist is out of nowhere, literally just "Mwahahaha, I'm a bad guy."

Also the ending twist where it turns out if she's happy she can reverse the power is really jarring to me. You mean she wasn't happy before? She seemed pretty happy when singing Let it Go.