Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Mu Zeta posted:

The glass back sucked. Why the gently caress do companies make slippery phones. I don't want to use a case.

Glass feels more premium than plastic and you cant do wireless charging through metal.

There ya go

Don Lapre fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jul 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Mu Zeta posted:

The glass back sucked. Why the gently caress do companies make slippery phones. I don't want to use a case.

Sounds like someone needs some grip-tape.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Don Lapre posted:

Glass feels more premium than glass and you cant do wireless charging through metal.

There ya go

Metal sucks too.

Give me a rubberized plastic material any day of the week. Moto X superiority.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

bull3964 posted:

Metal sucks too.

loving right. That's the thing I miss the most about my OG MotoX.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Don Lapre posted:

Glass feels more premium than glass

:thunk:

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

fixed 4 u

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Don Lapre posted:

Glass feels more premium than plastic and you cant do wireless charging through metal.

There ya go
Actually glass is cool because apple did it therefore it is sexy

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Also cases rule, and are cool

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

Also cases rule, and are cool

This is wrong, however the delicate nature of modern cellphones make them pretty much a necessity.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Sorry but you'll find that when it comes to phones, I am never wrong and also hotsauce is my brother

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I've went over a year with no case on my 6P. Feels good!

Jacobus Spades
Oct 29, 2004

bull3964 posted:

Metal sucks too.

One of my favorite phones aesthetically was the HTC Sensation which combined rubberized pads with a metal back (that was removable to boot)

It's a shame they don't put out designs this ill advised anymore.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

A silicone case makes the Pixel way better. This is the first phone I've owned that I bought a case for. No idea why they make the phone out of lovely metal and glass instead of nice, grippy plastic.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Internet Explorer posted:

DEFEND. YOUR. PURCHASE.

M'android

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Jacobus Spades posted:

One of my favorite phones aesthetically was the HTC Sensation which combined rubberized pads with a metal back (that was removable to boot)

It's a shame they don't put out designs this ill advised anymore.

I had this phone and I loved it!!

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

ColdPie posted:

No idea why they make the phone out of lovely metal and glass instead of nice, grippy plastic.

Idiot tech reviewers always say "the plastic is super durable and feels great and has a nice grip. It doesn't feel "preimum" though 2/10"

Basically, Apple did it now it's synonymous with quality even though it's objectively worse in almost every metric.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Is there any piece of hardware that Apple won't ruin? I still can't believe they managed to convince everyone that buttonless trackpads are usable.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Tbf they are on Apple notebooks

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

ColdPie posted:

Is there any piece of hardware that Apple won't ruin? I still can't believe they managed to convince everyone that buttonless trackpads are usable.

Pretty sure they're poised to ruin VR next, then self-driving cars.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

ColdPie posted:

Is there any piece of hardware that Apple won't ruin?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Virtual assistant of the future here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hl6JjFcSS28&t=627s

Literally has to macro itself through settings to make changes.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Holy poo poo that's embarrassingly bad

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'd expect nothing less from Samsung, Kings of absolute poo poo software.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Taffer posted:

Idiot tech reviewers always say "the plastic is super durable and feels great and has a nice grip. It doesn't feel "preimum" though 2/10"

Basically, Apple did it now it's synonymous with quality even though it's objectively worse in almost every metric.
I went without a case on my Moto G3 for the whole time I owned it. That loving thing fell off the roof of my car onto the road and was still barely dinged. I was hoping to go sans case with the G5+ but after the third time I dropped it for no reason whatsoever, I broke down and got the clear one some goon recommended upthread.

It's a great case, but I'd rather not need it.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I've got Android Auto on my Samsung S8 and it's brilliant, makes browsing Spotify / Audible / Pandora way easier whilst I'm driving, and if a good song comes on, I don't have to dangerously whip my phone out and add it to my favourites, I can do it straight from the dashboard. But one thing that really annoy me:

- Car mode is a pain in the rear end. If I'm parked at traffic lights, or outside a friend's house waiting to pick them up, I need to unplug my phone to disable Android Auto so I can message them on Facebook / Whatsapp / whatever. It stops the music, and is a little bit of an annoyance.

Is there a way to disable this "safety" feature. It's really dumb, and should really be left to the discretion of the user as to whether they want to operate their phone whilst driving. Being locked out on purpose, even when 100% safe to use the phone, is like being coddled by a nanny. Are there any fixes to this dumb option, or am I poo poo out of luck?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Q8ee posted:

I've got Android Auto on my Samsung S8 and it's brilliant, makes browsing Spotify / Audible / Pandora way easier whilst I'm driving, and if a good song comes on, I don't have to dangerously whip my phone out and add it to my favourites, I can do it straight from the dashboard. But one thing that really annoy me:

- Car mode is a pain in the rear end. If I'm parked at traffic lights, or outside a friend's house waiting to pick them up, I need to unplug my phone to disable Android Auto so I can message them on Facebook / Whatsapp / whatever. It stops the music, and is a little bit of an annoyance.

Is there a way to disable this "safety" feature. It's really dumb, and should really be left to the discretion of the user as to whether they want to operate their phone whilst driving. Being locked out on purpose, even when 100% safe to use the phone, is like being coddled by a nanny. Are there any fixes to this dumb option, or am I poo poo out of luck?

You can send messages by voice in Auto, can't you?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Everything about the iMac was peak 90's

Qubee
May 31, 2013

nimper posted:

You can send messages by voice in Auto, can't you?

Forget that, it'd send garbage. I just wanna be able to use my phone when I'm parked or stopped, but there's no options to allow that. It automatically goes into car mode the second it's plugged in.

Update: Using a Bixby button remapper to open "Recent Apps" works. Lets me open Messenger if I opened it beforehand. It's not perfect, but it'll do the trick.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Jul 6, 2017

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I've always used recent apps button then home button and it gets me back to my home screen with Android Auto.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Don Lapre posted:

Virtual assistant of the future here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hl6JjFcSS28&t=627s

Literally has to macro itself through settings to make changes.

It even says "what are you thinking"

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Q8ee posted:

:lol: preventing texting while driving is coddling you like a nanny?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

lol when you begin your lovely opinion from the assumption that there are no other cars on the road for you to run into while changing your animes

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

This may be a controversially out-of-place thought for a smartphone thread, but you don't actually need to be connected to people every second out of every day.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Voice to text works well for me. It's definitely good enough to say "Can't talk driving". I'm pretty sure it even gives you an on screen button that does just that.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

docbeard posted:

This may be a controversially out-of-place thought for a smartphone thread, but you don't actually need to be connected to people every second out of every day.

This is one of the nice things about some of the larger state and national parks. You get out there and you've got voice/text service at absolute best, no data. Sure it isn't like a "throw your phone in the water and cheer" but the whole "oh dearrrr I'm not getting push notifications anymorrrrrre" thing wears off in like 2 minutes and you stop trying to escape human interaction by checking your phone.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Iron Crowned posted:

Everything about the iMac was peak 90's

That's sort of the point of style, isn't it? To be of the time in which it resides? To be a landmark of an era?

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

FAUXTON posted:

This is one of the nice things about some of the larger state and national parks. You get out there and you've got voice/text service at absolute best, no data. Sure it isn't like a "throw your phone in the water and cheer" but the whole "oh dearrrr I'm not getting push notifications anymorrrrrre" thing wears off in like 2 minutes and you stop trying to escape human interaction by checking your phone.

Funny you should mention that. I'm on a road trip through Kansas, Nebraska, and South Dakota. We have all major carriers represented, and I, being the only Verizon user, was the only one to have coverage almost everywhere we stayed.

To me that's worth paying the premium and putting up with their customer hating poo poo. Otherwise we would have had to resort to physical maps like cavemen.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Bandire posted:

Funny you should mention that. I'm on a road trip through Kansas, Nebraska, and South Dakota. We have all major carriers represented, and I, being the only Verizon user, was the only one to have coverage almost everywhere we stayed.

To me that's worth paying the premium and putting up with their customer hating poo poo. Otherwise we would have had to resort to physical maps like cavemen.

Which way did you take through Nebraska, because I know for a fact Verizon coverage drops to "spotty voice/text only" around Valentine and is "literally only severe weather warning texts" level coverage by the time you get to the merritt reservoir. If you're sticking to the interstate system and major in-state highways then yeah of course you won't lose coverage. Hell even when we visited Smith Falls and the Niobrara I had full LTE with Cricket, but it went away drat quick once we got back onto the 2-lane highways.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Q8ee posted:

- Car mode is a pain in the rear end. If I'm parked at traffic lights,[...] I need to unplug my phone to disable Android Auto so I can message them on Facebook / Whatsapp / whatever.

I bet you also throw your arms up when someone honks at you because the light turned green 5 seconds ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

FAUXTON posted:

Which way did you take through Nebraska, because I know for a fact Verizon coverage drops to "spotty voice/text only" around Valentine and is "literally only severe weather warning texts" level coverage by the time you get to the merritt reservoir. If you're sticking to the interstate system and major in-state highways then yeah of course you won't lose coverage. Hell even when we visited Smith Falls and the Niobrara I had full LTE with Cricket, but it went away drat quick once we got back onto the 2-lane highways.

I remember Niobrara getting pretty bad for Verizon, unless you were at the absolute top of a hill.

Major transportation routes are definitely well covered though.