Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I'm the wifi enabled toilet in the room with a half destroyed wall

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiax Rules All
Jul 22, 2007
You are but the grease for the wheels of his rule.
Literally this:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DJklHwoYgBQ

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/882011656150294528

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

you'd think with the amount of times some rear end in a top hat trying to solve public transportation forever just invents buses we'd get one person talking about their revolutionary idea to create housing by basically making dormitories for homeless people.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

DC Murderverse posted:

you'd think with the amount of times some rear end in a top hat trying to solve public transportation forever just invents buses we'd get one person talking about their revolutionary idea to create housing by basically making dormitories for homeless people.
Buildings most of the country considers "dormitories for homeless people" are, in Silicon Valley, sold as "luxury apartments".

Homeowners and landlords are "against building more luxury housing for the rich", so even those don't get created.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

A friend of a friend worked for Google and actually lived out of a van in the parking lot for like a year until they finally caught on and told him that the parking lot is not a house

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Shugojin posted:

A friend of a friend worked for Google and actually lived out of a van in the parking lot for like a year until they finally caught on and told him that the parking lot is not a house

All he was doing was disrupting the housing paradigm.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Shugojin posted:

In regards to Silicon Valley you'll hear stories about people paying $700 a month to pitch a tent on somebody's porch or $900 a month to live in a crate in somebody's living room.

The apartment I live in now would be like $5,000 a month there. More, possibly.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

ToxicSlurpee posted:

In regards to Silicon Valley you'll hear stories about people paying $700 a month to pitch a tent on somebody's porch or $900 a month to live in a crate in somebody's living room.

The apartment I live in now would be like $5,000 a month there. More, possibly.

I work with a guy who just escaped from the Bay Area, and he was paying $7000 a month to rent a 1000 sq. ft. home for his family of four. I can't even comprehend that. :psyduck:

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

mycomancy posted:

I work with a guy who just escaped from the Bay Area, and he was paying $7000 a month to rent a 1000 sq. ft. home for his family of four. I can't even comprehend that. :psyduck:
He must have been in a very expensive area of the bay. The east bay and even parts of sf can do better than that.

The bay area is full of people who just don't want to move to hayward (I don't blame them, but even my brother's 1 br/1ba near uc berkeley was only 1500/mo).

k stone
Aug 30, 2009
Please don't tell the techbros about the East Bay, the only way us Cal grad students are hanging on is that they haven't yet realized that you can live in a nice big house right between downtown Berkeley and downtown Oakland for $1k a month if you take a couple roommates.

Seriously, while the East Bay still has its own gentrification problems, I have no idea how they're not much worse when there are so many people right across the bay with much huger incomes who would pay half as much to live in places twice as big in a really neat area if they were willing to take a short BART ride into the city :shrug:

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

k stone posted:

willing to take a short BART ride into the city

What, with the poor people? :v:

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

k stone posted:

Please don't tell the techbros about the East Bay, the only way us Cal grad students are hanging on is that they haven't yet realized that you can live in a nice big house right between downtown Berkeley and downtown Oakland for $1k a month if you take a couple roommates.

Seriously, while the East Bay still has its own gentrification problems, I have no idea how they're not much worse when there are so many people right across the bay with much huger incomes who would pay half as much to live in places twice as big in a really neat area if they were willing to take a short BART ride into the city :shrug:
BART closing at night has its small perks.
That said, even (outer) Richmond and Sunset were not that terrible last time I looked (which, admittedly was a year ago or so). A long loving muni ride though.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

k stone posted:

Er, most of those people work down in Silicon Valley itself. You can't take BART there from the East Bay.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

k stone posted:

the real problem isn't techbro incomes (they dont help) but rather the interaction of state regulations like prop 13 and local land use regulation like the scarcity of permittable dense development in the city of san francisco itself

k stone
Aug 30, 2009

fishmech posted:

Er, most of those people work down in Silicon Valley itself. You can't take BART there from the East Bay.

A fair number of tech company / startup headquarters are in SF proper though. Also, you can simply transfer to CalTrain to get to the South Bay (which would be a rather long commute) or (god forbid) just use the money you save from moving out of SF to buy a car.

I don't want this to turn into a whole thing with a derail where we all try to calculate out exactly how long the commutes to the Google campus are or something, so to be clear, I was merely offhandedly commenting that I am surprised that that "fair number" of tech jobs in SF proper is not enough to influence housing prices in the East Bay by causing people with larger incomes to move there East Bay to save on housing costs rather than paying $1000 a month to live in a crawl space in SF or whatever as people above me had mentioned. I do not have actual data to show whether that is because there aren't enough of those jobs in SF or because people with those jobs have not "discovered" the East Bay yet. If you do that'd be fascinating.

boner confessor posted:

the real problem isn't techbro incomes (they dont help) but rather the interaction of state regulations like prop 13 and local land use regulation like the scarcity of permittable dense development in the city of san francisco itself

Yeah, I agree in terms of structural, long-term solutions. It would still be rather devastating to the lower-income folks in the East Bay in the short term though if a bunch of people with tech incomes suddenly moved there though -- the answer of course is less to try to keep them out and more to work on those long-term structural changes.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Housing and real estate in the east bay absolutely has increased drastically already. The UC Berkeley campus bubble must be functioning particularly well, I guess?

k stone
Aug 30, 2009
I am aware, as I noted in my first post. It is still a huge differential compared to SF and the expensive parts of the South Bay. I only expressed surprise that it hadn't equalized more yet, and dread that it soon will.

e: Sorry, I didn't mean for a totally unnecessary derail from making fun of bad startups. No one cares about my worries about my own housing prices.

k stone fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jul 5, 2017

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

http://twitter.com/shitshowdotinfo/status/882388792275079168

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/05/business/how-uber-may-have-improperly-taxed-its-drivers.html?smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur

Don't have time to read it atm, but thread-relevant.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

so when is soylent going to start branching out to poopsocks

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

reignonyourparade posted:

https://twitter.com/jdl_werewolf/status/882390248101163008

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

"Ourobourous" doesn't really lend itself very well to the "take out all the vowels" standard.

e:

I know the answer is tech bro arrogance, but how do you run a business that sells goods and/or services and not consult with some lawyers about the sales tax laws where you do business

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Shugojin posted:

I know the answer is tech bro arrogance, but how do you run a business that sells goods and/or services and not consult with some lawyers about the sales tax laws where you do business

Laws are for losers.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
There are literally studies that argue SF housing policy costs the US economy billions of dollars.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
My bar for eating and buying groceries is, "does this provide minimum nutrition so that I do not die".

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Laws are for losers.

I guess.

My company recently started selling alcohol and we consulted the heck out of some lawyers to be sure we were fully in sales tax and other rules compliance.

(Since we are in PA and buy from distributors, the sales tax is collected at distributor level when we buy it and the product is not subject to the tax a second time :eng101: )

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

i'm now starting to suspect some sort of elaborate Producers-esque scheme to destroy Uber to make someone a lot of money. between shorting their drivers, creating an environment filled with sexism and harassment, and stealing trade secrets from an opponent, the end of Uber is a parody of itself.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

k stone posted:

A fair number of tech company / startup headquarters are in SF proper though. Also, you can simply transfer to CalTrain to get to the South Bay (which would be a rather long commute) or (god forbid) just use the money you save from moving out of SF to buy a car.

I don't want this to turn into a whole thing with a derail where we all try to calculate out exactly how long the commutes to the Google campus are or something, so to be clear, I was merely offhandedly commenting that I am surprised that that "fair number" of tech jobs in SF proper is not enough to influence housing prices in the East Bay by causing people with larger incomes to move there East Bay to save on housing costs rather than paying $1000 a month to live in a crawl space in SF or whatever as people above me had mentioned. I do not have actual data to show whether that is because there aren't enough of those jobs in SF or because people with those jobs have not "discovered" the East Bay yet. If you do that'd be fascinating.

Er I mean, judging on the fact that you think splitting up a house for $1000 a month rent a person is "cheap", and having taken a look at East Bay rent costs/potential house costs in general - It kinda looks like this all only seems cheap to you because the rest of the area costs so much more. I'd say that means your housing prices are already influenced quite a bit by all this.

Edit: Like for perspective, in Philadelphia you can live 2 blocks from a subway station inside the city, in a nice spacious 6 bedroom/4 story rowhouse, and pay under $350 per person still. Not as good as how you could pull that for $100 a person a month back 10 years ago in the same areas because it was still too trashy, as long as you were willing to have some people share rooms, but still.

fishmech fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jul 6, 2017

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!

Kim Jong Il posted:

There are literally studies that argue SF housing policy costs the US economy billions of dollars.

Can you link this?

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

More drunk than a barrel of monkeys

Reverent

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrYzJDy3c38

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Shugojin posted:

"Ourobourous" doesn't really lend itself very well to the "take out all the vowels" standard.

e:

Move fast, break things, disrupt the sales tax paradigm

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

LinYutang posted:

Can you link this?
Probably this study: https://www.citylab.com/equity/2015/05/the-urban-housing-crunch-costs-the-us-economy-about-16-trillion-a-year/393515/

quote:

The dearth of affordable housing options in superstar cities like New York, San Francisco and San Jose (home of Silicon Valley) costs the U.S. economy about $1.6 trillion a year in lost wages and productivity, according to a new analysis from economists Chang-Tai Hsieh of the University of Chicago and Enrico Moretti of the University of California at Berkeley. The study, which journalists like The Economist’s Ryan Avent and Vox’s Tim Lee have written about, was made publicly available as a National Bureau of Economic Research working paper earlier this month.
Put more simply, the economists’ research examines the geographic allocation of workers across the United States, and tests the following proposition: What might happen if workers were free to move to the cities and metros with the most robust economies, where they could be most productive, thus fueling even greater productivity and growth for the U.S. economy as a whole? To get at this, Hsieh and Moretti develop a number of alternative scenarios based on the ability of workers to move to and settle in these highly productive metros. The exercise leads to several intriguing findings.

First off, Hsieh and Moretti find that when they take wages into account, economic growth over the past half century was powered by a limited number of metro areas. Specifically, they find that roughly 75 percent of the nation’s economic growth between 1964 and 2009 came from a relatively small group of Southern metros and 19 other large metros. Even though superstar metros like New York, San Francisco, and San Jose created great wealth in sectors like finance and high-tech, nearly all of those gains were eaten up by the wages used to pay for higher housing costs. Greater New York, for example, was singlehandedly responsible for 12 percent of the nation’s aggregate output growth between 1964 and 2009, but when housing costs are taken into account, that figure falls to less than 5 percent growth. As the authors point out, “the main effect of the fast productivity growth in New York, San Francisco, and San Jose was an increase in local housing prices and local wages, not in employment.”

There's also this related one: http://newclimateeconomy.net/content/release-urban-sprawl-costs-us-economy-more-1-trillion-year

quote:

Urban sprawl costs the American economy more than US$1 trillion annually, according to a new study by the New Climate Economy. These costs include greater spending on infrastructure, public service delivery and transportation. The study finds that Americans living in sprawled communities directly bear an astounding $625 billion in extra costs. In addition, all residents and businesses, regardless of where they are located, bear an extra $400 billion in external costs. Correcting this problem provides an opportunity to increase economic productivity, improve public health and protect the environment.
Sprawl increases the distance between homes, businesses, services and jobs, which raises the cost of providing infrastructure and public services by at least 10% and up to 40%. The most sprawled American cities spend an average of $750 on infrastructure per person each year, while the least sprawled cities spend close to $500. In its Better Growth, Better Climate report, the New Climate Economy has found that acting to implement smarter urban growth policies on a global scale could reduce urban infrastructure capital requirements by more than US$3 trillion over the next 15 years.

The new report defines smart growth—the opposite of urban sprawl—as compact, connected and coordinated urban development. Smart growth cities and towns have well-defined boundaries, a range of housing options, a mix of residential and commercial buildings, and accessible sidewalks, bike lanes and public transportation. By reducing per capita land consumption and infrastructure and transportation costs, smart urban growth policies can deliver significant economic, social and environmental benefits.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I don't understand why all these programmers that work down in the valley want to live in SF anyway. It's way cheaper to live closer to your office, saving you money and commute, and you can still go into SF to do stuff when you want to. I can't imagine most dorkuses who program computer would be comfortable participating in most of the poo poo that SF is known for to begin with (chinatown, homosexuals, etc).

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

cis autodrag posted:

I don't understand why all these programmers that work down in the valley want to live in SF anyway. It's way cheaper to live closer to your office, saving you money and commute, and you can still go into SF to do stuff when you want to. I can't imagine most dorkuses who program computer would be comfortable participating in most of the poo poo that SF is known for to begin with (chinatown, homosexuals, etc).

Because face-to-face networking opportunities turn out to be super-useful in keeping one's career going. Even Wikimedia moved offices to SF specifically to tap into the best available techies, and it worked hugely well.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

cis autodrag posted:

I don't understand why all these programmers that work down in the valley want to live in SF anyway. It's way cheaper to live closer to your office, saving you money and commute, and you can still go into SF to do stuff when you want to.
I knew/know a bunch of people who work at Google in Mountain View who live in SF. They do it because SF is a fun big city while the peninsula/south bay is basically surbubia. Guess which one is more attractive to affluent millenials?

As for the costs, SF is expensive, but living in MTV is...still pretty expensive. And the shuttle covers the commute cost, at least.

quote:

I can't imagine most dorkuses who program computer would be comfortable participating in most of the poo poo that SF is known for to begin with (chinatown, homosexuals, etc).
Then you would be wrong. I know this is D&D and a lot of posters here can barely control their raging hate-on for techies, but seriously, most people at Google are very socially liberal. Yes, they're also largely overachieving nerds, but for the most part they're not gonna have a problem with gay people or immigrants.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

I've found that the more negative stereotypes of techies/programmers/nerds, like poor hygiene, social ineptitude, and the like seem to become less common the higher up the career ladder you go. Someone making bank as a senior engineer at Facebook is a lot less likely to possess those stereotypical traits than, say, a computer janitor at a random non-tech company making a middling income. The really successful people tend to also be relatively well-rounded people.

Like, I've been to PAX, I know that nerds smelling bad isn't a totally made-up thing. But working at Google, it's just not something I regularly encounter.

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!

Cicero posted:

I've found that the more negative stereotypes of techies/programmers/nerds, like poor hygiene, social ineptitude, and the like seem to become less common the higher up the career ladder you go. Someone making bank as a senior engineer at Facebook is a lot less likely to possess those stereotypical traits than, say, a computer janitor at a random non-tech company making a middling income. The really successful people tend to also be relatively well-rounded people.

Like, I've been to PAX, I know that nerds smelling bad isn't a totally made-up thing. But working at Google, it's just not something I regularly encounter.

It's not something I've encountered outside of the bay either. I suspect that public views of programmers are still colored by 90s stereotypes of nerd culture or Big Bang Theory. Programming isn't a fringe area of work for CS megadorks anymore, it's a fairly accessible vocation for anyone.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Cicero posted:

Then you would be wrong. I know this is D&D and a lot of posters here can barely control their raging hate-on for techies, but seriously, most people at Google are very socially liberal. Yes, they're also largely overachieving nerds, but for the most part they're not gonna have a problem with gay people or immigrants.

They're the image that comes to mind whenever I hear "socially liberal, fiscally conservative."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

I'd say bay area techies are fiscally center-left as a whole, the libertopians are a small (but loud) minority.