Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
A ticket came in: addresses in our system are kind of weird. A lot of stuff seems to be displaying the wrong address now. Very strange.

Take a look at a script I sent in last night that was supposed to update an address on a single record. I forgot to put the loving where clause on the script. gently caress. gently caress. gently caress.

Now we are scrambling to fix things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

Khisanth Magus posted:

A ticket came in: addresses in our system are kind of weird. A lot of stuff seems to be displaying the wrong address now. Very strange.

Take a look at a script I sent in last night that was supposed to update an address on a single record. I forgot to put the loving where clause on the script. gently caress. gently caress. gently caress.

Now we are scrambling to fix things.

I feel like I already know the answer to this, but why did you not test your update statement in development?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Raerlynn posted:

I feel like I already know the answer to this, but why did you not test your update statement in development?

Real IT pros test in prod. :colbert:

(which I'm pretty sure one of my old companies did)

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

iospace posted:

Real IT pros test in prod. :colbert:

(which I'm pretty sure one of my old companies did)

Everyone has a test environment. Some poor fucks work in places that call it "production".

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

DigitalRaven posted:

Everyone has a test environment. Some poor fucks work in places that call it "production".

Well yeah. My old job had a fuckload of problems though that wasn't limited to a very close connection between prod and test though to the point where it was a tad blurry.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
I run the scripts in a test environment, but I was dead tired and my brain just kind of ignored the amount of records changed, just that there were no errors. It didn't give any big indicators like taking a long time or anything.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

DigitalRaven posted:

We used to not have a test. Now that we have VMs I just clone the VM run a test tell a few key people hey I did a thing here's the test server name connect to it and tell me if anything looks wrong I did X. I normally catch stuff myself but I like to have extra eyes on anything before it goes to production.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
One of my current big projects is standing up a test environment. I'm learning a ton about our environment (previously managed by one dude who didn't really believe in documentation), but it's hella time-consuming.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
A transcoding server at a client site is having random issues and the culprit may be memory related. Their support offered to send some memory so that we can swap it out and I told the client as such.

:downs: Oh we may have some memory lying around. Do you know the memory config?
me: :catstare:

Christ no

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Boss: Macaroni, this is a high profile issue! Please run tests to ensure that this upcoming VIP presentation will record properly.
Me: Sure, could I see the presentation? Our standard WebEx recording is pretty reliable when it comes to capturing audio and Powerpoint slides...
Boss: The file is hosted on Prezi.
Me: :what:

So I made a dummy recording of sample files on the Prezi.com website, got our AV guys to do a quick 3-min conference call to confirm that they don't actually have a CSI-style "enhance" button on their desk, and sent the test recording to the project lead. Response: "Wish it were better but it's acceptable."

Actual presentation and recording are on July 12. Let's see if people flip their poo poo on July 13.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Prezi is to presentation software as Segway is to modes of transportation

vvvvvv ZING

Pacra fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jul 8, 2017

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

A ticket came in: Someone hosed up their SSL cert.

:downsrim:

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
I'm configuring 8x Quantum QXS-656 arrays (3.5 PB of raw storage) and that means I get to sit behind them in the NOC because the network switch doesn't have a house uplink yet.

I'm going to be deaf by the time I'm done. These fuckers are loud.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Why didnt you bring your PPE?

Post it to the osha thread, with a screenshot of the decibels from one of those iphone apps

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

KoRMaK posted:

Why didnt you bring your PPE?

Post it to the osha thread, with a screenshot of the decibels from one of those iphone apps

I left my noise canceling headphones at home because I'm an idiot. It's about 85 dB and should quiet down once the missing SAS cables are tracked down.

:negative:

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Seriously: stuff something in your ears. 85dB for >10 minutes will mess you up.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Don't ruin your hearing, get PPE or a long enough cable to get out of the worst of the noise?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Buy packs of disposable earplugs and put one in every bag you own.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
A ticket came in:

quote:

Subject: Auto-reply don't being sent from HR email account.
can someone check on this for me..thanks

Re: Auto-reply don't being sent from HR email account.
Yup. Don't being sent alright.

<ticket closed>

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jul 10, 2017

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

A ticket came in:

Re: Auto-reply don't being sent from HR email account.
Yup. Don't being sent alright.

<ticket closed>
Please is the needful.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

Wibla posted:

Don't ruin your hearing, get PPE or a long enough cable to get out of the worst of the noise?

I moved a couple racks down so I'm not directly in the path anymore.

I usually have noise cancelling headphones but I forgot them today. Or the client runs an uplink to the management switch. Struck out on both accounts todsy

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
My Something Awful USB bottleopener died today :(

Still keeping it as a bottle opener though. We should do more things like that. The usb is awesome.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
I agree, though perhaps having the logo engraved would be better next time around. The print rubbed off on mine ages ago, which is a drat shame.

Mine still works but it's no longer in its slider rail so using it is a bit of a pain.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I mainly use it to open bottles, not so much saving things, oh well :sun:

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

I'd be done for another run, preferable with a different word and engraving or sublimated instead of ink would be great. Also different mechanism for the drive, using it with keys attached caused the drive to tear out of the bottle opener, which should probably have been expected. I'm not really sure how to improve it.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
I still use both of mine and haven't had any problems but I don't use the bottle opener so maybe that is the issue putting weird pressure on it. I would be down for getting another one or two if we went with a bigger capacity next time.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

pixaal posted:

I'd be done for another run, preferable with a different word and engraving or sublimated instead of ink would be great. Also different mechanism for the drive, using it with keys attached caused the drive to tear out of the bottle opener, which should probably have been expected. I'm not really sure how to improve it.

I have a CNC machine, and can do custom engravings on it easy peasy, only downside is shipping would be annoying from where I live.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Khisanth Magus posted:

I run the scripts in a test environment, but I was dead tired and my brain just kind of ignored the amount of records changed, just that there were no errors. It didn't give any big indicators like taking a long time or anything.

it's also handy to make sure that your personal SQL account doesn't have auto-commit turned on.

That's apparently the default option in MSSQL and it hosed me over a few times.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Sefal posted:

My Something Awful USB bottleopener died today :(

Still keeping it as a bottle opener though. We should do more things like that. The usb is awesome.

Mine died quite awhile ago, but I tend to be hard on that sort of thing.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!
So an email came in...

about two weeks ago I finished up an MS audit and sent it off. I got the email back with the errors and had three discrepancies. First two were my fault. One was a server that I forgot we were using OEM licensing on, the other was a tablet I had an incomplete product key for and didn't notice.

The third was a dozen Office 2010 Pro plus licenses that weren't on the VL agreement. For the record I don't have access to the clients VL site. Pretty much nothing for the company i work for is documented, and most of the relevant info is on the heads of the owner and a contractor.

When i ask them both about this, they just deny that they are Pro Plus keys and walk away.

Im thinking the client will be getting a bill from MS soon.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Wasn't Pro Plus the SKU that came with Action Pack?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
I, personally, am tickled whenever a sales guy forwards a spam email to the helpdesk, and those emails end up in our spam inboxes, but sales guy also gets incensed whenever he has to dig Very Important Emails from his quarantine.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Someone I used to work with has one of the people he supports forward him every single unwanted email as an example of how poor the spam filters are. The messages that are being forwarded are all mailing list messages from legitimate companies, sent through MailChimp or whatever, with working SPF, DKIM, DMARC, and unsubscribe and abuse reporting links.

This guy would rather hit forward on each message and ask for the sender to be blocked than just click 'unsubscribe'. Obviously blocking the sender doesn't work as it's different each time due to the way these emailing services work. If the entire domain was blocked then there'd be complaining about not receiving a vital order confirmation.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jul 11, 2017

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
And just now, my boss called me, about a minute or so after he'd left for the day, about a spam email we got at one of our distribution groups. It wasn't in the folder where mail to that distribution group is normally sent, so I went looking through all my folders for it and eventually found it in my junk mail folder.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Thanks Ants posted:

Wasn't Pro Plus the SKU that came with Action Pack?

Pro plus extreme value edition 2017+?

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

https://twitter.com/og_tjg/status/884756210267893761

Was this posted here, I feel like this should be posted here.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
https://i.imgur.com/mqB3dpU.mp4

This speaks to me on so many levels

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Migishu posted:

https://i.imgur.com/mqB3dpU.mp4

This speaks to me on so many levels

How do I make a high resolution version of this my desktop?

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

The guy on the right is clearly manager material.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Drunk Canuck posted:

https://twitter.com/og_tjg/status/884756210267893761

Was this posted here, I feel like this should be posted here.

This is legit horrifying I'm going to have nightmares tonight

• Locked thread