Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Gorn Myson posted:

For me it was reading a lot of Christopher Hitchens' pro-Iraq War stuff back in the day and my tiny teenage brain going "huh, these guys really seem to hate Muslims a lot more than Christians".
Its amazing how much the skeptic community is ignorant on history and like to make up poo poo that appeals to their biases that organized religion leads to ignorance and repression. Its half the reason why its hard to convince people that the "Dark Ages" is a big misnomer and that Islam is not some heathen religion from brutal barbaric hordes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marlows
Nov 4, 2009

Max Wilco posted:

Am I wrong in thinking that Bob is being unreasonable in this line of thinking?

Keep in mind that the reddit user made vague and certainly anti-semitic threats towards CNN journalists as well as disturbing posts about attacks on racial minorities. Not to mention that it is arguably newsworthy to wonder why the president (or sons/staff) are dredging up garbage from cess pits like The Donald sub reddit. You're welcome to question the usefulness or methods of the investigation, and Bob is not great, but the video was not created in a vacuum. This was the product of a vile middle aged man, not a dumb kid.

Simplifying this to CNN being mad at "mocking" is misleading at best and another example of supposed free speech activists championing the far right while giving far less support to controversial leftists.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
bob's an idiot and as an idiot he's fine with it for the wrong reasons but anyone calling the CNN stuff 'blackmail' and all are also idiots. They said they reserve the right to name him if they need to, you know, the guy with a posting history full of wanting to murder muslims and calling journalists (including CNN ones) dumb jews ruining america who must be stopped. The only thing wrong CNN did was wimp out in saying his name in the first place, he had zero legal protection or whatever, it was just courtesy to an insane white supremacist loser that is hardly ever extended to minorities, but yea, somehow HE'S the victim.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Marlows posted:

Keep in mind that the reddit user made vague and certainly anti-semitic threats towards CNN journalists as well as disturbing posts about attacks on racial minorities. Not to mention that it is arguably newsworthy to wonder why the president (or sons/staff) are dredging up garbage from cess pits like The Donald sub reddit. You're welcome to question the usefulness or methods of the investigation, and Bob is not great, but the video was not created in a vacuum. This was the product of a vile middle aged man, not a dumb kid.

Simplifying this to CNN being mad at "mocking" is misleading at best and another example of supposed free speech activists championing the far right while giving far less support to controversial leftists.

The article in question.

This is the part that people have taken issue with:

CNN.com | How CNN found the Reddit user behind the Trump wrestling GIF posted:

After posting his apology, "HanA**holeSolo" called CNN's KFile and confirmed his identity. In the interview, "HanA**holeSolo" sounded nervous about his identity being revealed and asked to not be named out of fear for his personal safety and for the public embarrassment it would bring to him and his family.

CNN is not publishing "HanA**holeSolo's" name because he is a private citizen who has issued an extensive statement of apology, showed his remorse by saying he has taken down all his offending posts, and because he said he is not going to repeat this ugly behavior on social media again. In addition, he said his statement could serve as an example to others not to do the same.

CNN reserves the right to publish his identity should any of that change.

Someone pointed out that if it had just been left alone, Trump would've have looked bad and we'd all look back and say, "Haha, remember the time the President Trump posted of gif of him punching a CNN logo? What a doofus" Instead, CNN decided to find where they had gotten the image, and now to some, it seems like they're holding HanAssholeSolo over the barrel.

Really, I think the lesson to be learned is that if you're writing a news story, and you're trying to get in contact with someone with the screen-name 'HanAssholeSolo', maybe you should just scrap the story and write about something else.

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

Max Wilco posted:

The article in question.

This is the part that people have taken issue with:

Someone pointed out that if it had just been left alone, Trump would've have looked bad and we'd all look back and say, "Haha, remember the time the President Trump posted of gif of him punching a CNN logo? What a doofus" Instead, CNN decided to find where they had gotten the image, and now to some, it seems like they're holding HanAssholeSolo over the barrel.

Really, I think the lesson to be learned is that if you're writing a news story, and you're trying to get in contact with someone with the screen-name 'HanAssholeSolo', maybe you should just scrap the story and write about something else.

It's not even that big a deal. Essentially what CNN is saying is that if this guy does something actually newsworthy then they're totally going to connect him back to this thing. Given that the news media has needed to repeatedly report on a guy named "Based Stickman" (Kyle Chapman) for non-internet crimes, I feel like they're just numb to the normal red flags.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

FoldableHuman posted:

It's not even that big a deal. Essentially what CNN is saying is that if this guy does something actually newsworthy then they're totally going to connect him back to this thing. Given that the news media has needed to repeatedly report on a guy named "Based Stickman" (Kyle Chapman) for non-internet crimes, I feel like they're just numb to the normal red flags.

The question is, if they weren’t trying to threaten him, why include that part in first place? They could just have said that the account that made the meme apologized, and leave it at that. A major news outlet shouldn't even be devoting so much time to a drat meme video in the first place. If something changes in the future and it becomes newsworthy they can reveal it then, but there’s no reason to say anything right now other than as a threat.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
It gives you a reason to hand wring, so there is that

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Bakeneko posted:

The question is, if they weren’t trying to threaten him, why include that part in first place? They could just have said that the account that made the meme apologized, and leave it at that. A major news outlet shouldn't even be devoting so much time to a drat meme video in the first place. If something changes in the future and it becomes newsworthy they can reveal it then, but there’s no reason to say anything right now other than as a threat.

Stating a reservation of the right means there's no accusation of reneging on a promise if they did indeed feel something he did later was newsworthy and of a journalistic interest to tie to his prior actions.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Reads like a threat to me.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Reads like a threat to me.

What do you mean by threat here?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

WrenP-Complete posted:

What do you mean by threat here?

If he acts in a certain way, they will expose him, which they clearly understand as something that will damage him. That's a threat. It might be argued that this is a threat they're within their rights to issue, of course, but not that it isn't a threat.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Giving someone a benefit under condition is not the same as a threat hth

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

What 'certain way' - what action would they threaten him over? Posting this again?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Do we really need to start airing PSAs again telling people to be careful with what they post online? That actions have consequences and that stuff you do on the Internet is just as real as stuff you do in real life?

Like I remember in the 90s, it was all "don't go into chat rooms that you aren't familiar with!" and now it's just "lol it's a gif, you can't actually care about it."

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I mean maybe it's just me but if someone posted a picture of the staff of an organisation with Stars of David added next to them (many of them erroneously), is that meant to completely non-threatening to any of the people pictured?

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Bakeneko posted:

better question is why should we react to them legally threatening a racist rear end in a top hat with something they're being downright charitable in not doing already as a bad thing, rather than as a 'gently caress yeah' thing

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Tesseraction posted:

I mean maybe it's just me but if someone posted a picture of the staff of an organisation with Stars of David added next to them (many of them erroneously), is that meant to completely non-threatening to any of the people pictured?

It's just a joke broooooo, I'm only ironically targeting jews in my net-nazi safe space.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Tesseraction posted:

Considering the lunatics who still bang on about "jews controlling the media and big businesses" it's definitely concerning when someone pulls something like this.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Insurrectionist posted:

better question is why should we react to them legally threatening a racist rear end in a top hat with something they're being downright charitable in not doing already as a bad thing, rather than as a 'gently caress yeah' thing

Nobody’s going to defend the stupid crap he posted but come on, do you seriously think what he did would have been bad enough to justify being singled out by CNN and thrown to the wolves? He had already apologized by that point as well.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
^^^yea the neo-nazi apologized after he got busted, let's all be mature and give him a blanket pass. Anyway here's a story on how this 12 year old black kid who got shot by cops had a picture of him doing a peace sign with the caption 'gangsta' on his facebook, so maybe the little thug deserved what he got, this is CNN.

WampaLord posted:

Do we really need to start airing PSAs again telling people to be careful with what they post online? That actions have consequences and that stuff you do on the Internet is just as real as stuff you do in real life?

Like I remember in the 90s, it was all "don't go into chat rooms that you aren't familiar with!" and now it's just "lol it's a gif, you can't actually care about it."

genuinely yes, because it's evolved from 'hey people on AOL, maybe don't make your username "JohnSmithHoustonTexas1990" maybe that's a bad idea for privacy reasons' to 'hey people...you know other people can see what you post right? Like, the internet exists? Your ironic wall of jews can be seen by just anyone?'

sexpig by night fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jul 6, 2017

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Bakeneko posted:

Do you seriously think what he did would have been bad enough to justify being singled out by CNN and thrown to the wolves? He had already apologized by that point as well.

To be honest yes, people like that are virtually never actually apologizing out of some genuine feeling of wrongdoing, the moment they run the risk of losing their anonymity while playing nazi is when they desperately race to say they're sorry and they won't do it again, before coming back the next day under a parachute to keep cheerleading about how great it is their personal brand of big brother are saving them from the blacks and the gays and laughing at some more funny me-mes of murdered people.

poo poo on em

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

The way it's phrased is scuzzy, cowardly, and threatening. They should have just stated his name on air and specifically pointed out that he made the star of david thing too. Explicitly tell the world he's a Nazi. Hell it's not like doxxing is a crime if you're just looking at publicly available information. Don't hide behind a threat.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It would also be more proof that these people are cowards and all too happy to scatter like cockroaches to keep their lovely lives. That's such an important lesson about nazis.

Why hasn't anyone else doxxed this guy?

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.
I'm really getting uncomfortable with this threads approval of doxxing. I'm sorry, I cannot approve of doxxing in any form. Rationalize it how you want to, but I won't stand for a double standard that says one side's doxxing is totally terrible, but the other side's doxxing is totally fine.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

PassTheRemote posted:

I'm really getting uncomfortable with this threads approval of doxxing. I'm sorry, I cannot approve of doxxing in any form. Rationalize it how you want to, but I won't stand for a double standard that says one side's doxxing is totally terrible, but the other side's doxxing is totally fine.

He wasn't loving doxxed. Not by any definition of the word. He's still being referred to by his username, for gently caress's sake.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

It's not illegal yet; Nancy Grace and the Sun do it all the time. I see no reason the victims can't be people I dislike as well.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

PassTheRemote posted:

so to be clear the dude literally never revealed by name was doxxed because...

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

WampaLord posted:

He wasn't loving doxxed. Not by any definition of the word. He's still being referred to by his username, for gently caress's sake.

Even if the person has not been doxxed yet, the posts saying CNN should just name him, how is that not approving of this tactic?

This incident is not the first time this thread has been more than accepting to the prospect of doxxing.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Well, is there a vicious mass of sociopaths that organize themselves online to send swat teams and do identity theft things to nazis? Richard Spencer's address is part of the public record and he's never been SWATted as far as I know, nor had a box of poo poo sent to him.

Isn't the implied threat of doxxing that 4chan scum wreck up your life? I don't see anyone wrecking up the nazis. The threat with outing this particular nazi is that people will know what he did. That's a very different sort of consequence. I agree that it's wrong to steal this guy's identity or call his workplace and jam up all the lines until he gets fired or something, but as far as I know (and I could be wrong), that's not an inevitable consequence of being identified, as there is no left 4chan.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Hey I'll vote for a bill to outlaw it, but until then I'd prefer if it didn't exclusively hurt innocents.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

business hammocks posted:

As there is no left 4chan.

But-but-but tumblr! Totally just as bad! Look at these angry posts I dug up from people with follower counts in the double digits!

When people actually try and equate some poo poo on tumblr with the literal day-to-day postings of /pol/ and t_d, it's just laughable how desperate you must be to try and draw that kind of equivalence.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Well, is there a vicious mass of sociopaths that organize themselves online to send swat teams and do identity theft things to nazis? Richard Spencer's address is part of the public record and he's never been SWATted as far as I know, nor had a box of poo poo sent to him.

Isn't the implied threat of doxxing that 4chan scum wreck up your life? I don't see anyone wrecking up the nazis. The threat with outing this particular nazi is that people will know what he did. That's a very different sort of consequence. I agree that it's wrong to steal this guy's identity or call his workplace and jam up all the lines until he gets fired or something, but as far as I know (and I could be wrong), that's not an inevitable consequence of being identified, as there is no left 4chan.
Well that kinda depends. If you seem easily gently caress withable they're gonna gently caress with you. Given 4chan's general hate for Reddit I could see a teenage Reddit user being harassed into changing his name.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

To distract from this, Dan Olsen has a new video about...videos!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSnktB2N2sQ

It's a great breakdown about the "YouTubeization" of video content.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
3 times I had to check if I was in the right thread.

Dena Natali has left Channel awesome. Of course it's due to the incompetence of the higher ups. It's one big Deja Vu.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvzbwAiM4yE

Fossilized Rappy
Dec 26, 2012

Sarcopenia posted:

Dena Natali has left Channel awesome. Of course it's due to the incompetence of the higher ups. It's one big Deja Vu.

"It feels like the higher ups don't wanna tell us what's going on" seems like the least surprising thing to hear about Channel Awesome.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

PassTheRemote posted:

Even if the person has not been doxxed yet, the posts saying CNN should just name him, how is that not approving of this tactic?

This incident is not the first time this thread has been more than accepting to the prospect of doxxing.

Poor pepe nazis. :qq:

Reminds me of the dnd posting about how the couple sentenced to several years in prison for shouting slurs and pointing guns at black children was actually regressive and bad.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

You say that, but remember that last month there was the Congressional Baseball shooting, where it was said that the shooter was highly anti-Republican. It's hard not to look at some people who are on the left side who have gotten very zealous and vitriolic about the right. The reason I take issue with MovieBob so much is because he seems like he's a few steps away from calling for anyone he deems to be in opposition to his political views or anyone he thinks is 'holding America back' to be lined up against a wall and shot. It's disturbing, and while there are other people who aren't as extreme, it's hard not to feel like they aren't in a similar vein of thinking.

You say, "It's okay to doxx neo-Nazis and alt-righters", but the issue I have is that all that will accomplish is further inciting hostility. Someone lunatic might think it's okay to start posting information of people they had talked who they felt said things that they think falls in line with alt-right rhetoric. Worse, they might look at as taking a step towards more extreme action and that they have to start fighting fire-with-fire.

I'm not saying the gif guy isn't a rear end in a top hat, and I'm sorry if I'm being stubborn about this, but when I see people in the thread making arguments for doxxing, it comes across as trying to justify the same kind of behavior that we'd normally condemn.

Sarcopenia posted:

I really like Dena Natali. She did some pretty good videos covering the Hellraiser films a while ago. Prior to that, she covered stuff like the Catwoman film and the unreleased PS1 fighter Thrill Kill.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jul 6, 2017

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.
Saying someone who shot a congressman with a gun has a similar mindset to someone who might be okay with doxxing right-wing extremists/nazis is hilariously bad equivocation.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

TheMaestroso posted:

Saying someone who shot a congressman with a gun has a similar mindset to someone who might be okay with doxxing right-wing extremists/nazis is hilariously bad equivocation.

Yeah, I guess that is a pretty bad comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
If you think it's fine that CNN threatened him then that's all well and good, just don't pretend they didn't threaten him.

Although consider this: suppose someone found out you did something illegal, then said they won't tell anyone you did it as long as you act in a certain way. If that certain way was paying them money or providing them services, that would be blackmail, itself an illegal activity. It's a dangerous game to play.

They should have either posted his name or not bothered with that threat.

• Locked thread