Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
"Life" on Amazon really pissed me off. I'm a sci-fi junky and I'm more than willing to suspend my disbelief and allow a sci-fi movie to play fast and loose with reality and even science. What I absolutely hate is sci-fi that tries to force stupid plot lines and stupid characters onto the viewer. Yes, I can imagine a space program intended to examine and even study simple life forms found on Mars or someplace else. I can imagine that space stations or laboratory platforms in space can undergo extreme conditions and even be damaged while in orbit. But I absolutely can not accept the idea that the very best and brightest astronauts Earth has to offer and sends into space are complete loving idiots who don't even do the simplest things to protect themselves and their mission. People whose whole lives are dedicated to doing one thing and they can't even do it when they reach their goal, are you kidding me. I thought this movie had so many big name actors in it that it had to be at least modestly good. Boy what a let down. Less than 30 minutes in, anyone who has ever watched any spaceman meets alien movie could write the final 1 hour and 10 minutes of this movie; most could even write a better script than what is presented in the movie. By the time Ryan Reynolds' character gets offed, I wanted the entire crew to die horrible deaths because they were all just too stupid to live. Even the attempt at a shock ending with ominous overtones was so telegraphed and stale that anyone who is a fan of sci-fi knew what was going to happen before the final scene. The ineptitude of these star astronauts and science personnel was even harder to accept knowing the guys who wrote this tired, stale script also wrote Zombieland and Deadpool.

If you're a sci-fi fanatic, like me, then yeah it's probably worth the slog through it to get your fix in. Plus, as noted, great actors and actresses who did a good job with what they were given, a really decent director and really good writers, of other movies. The movie has the right pedigree it just didn't click for me personally.

radical meme fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Jul 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

Vice Principals is basically the same thing with a different setting/slightly different characters, it's on HBO Go/Now and maybe some other places.

Yeah, same creator, same producers (plus Hayes Davenport of Hollywood Handbook), some of the same writers. It's like the group's next project.

Mammal Sauce posted:

Just finished Eastbound and Down and loved it. Any other non-PC comedies/dramadies recommended?

You could also watch Jody Hill's movies Observe & Report and The Foot Fist Way, as well.

pizza valentine
Sep 19, 2007

DON'T FAKE THE FUNK
Grimey Drawer
Vice Prinicipals is great but annoying because season 1 ends on a huge cliffhanger, and supposedly season 2 is finished and ready to go, but HBO is just sitting on it 😤

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

pizza valentine posted:

Vice Prinicipals is great but annoying because season 1 ends on a huge cliffhanger, and supposedly season 2 is finished and ready to go, but HBO is just sitting on it 😤

Season 1 and 2 were filmed together, but they split it up for some reason. I'm with you though. I want the next batch of episodes.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth
To be contrarian, I loved Eastbound and Down, but I couldn't make it past the first episode of Vice Principals. Kenny Powers was such a hyperbolically self-centered person that it was hilarious, and everyone else was either a contrast, reflection, or straight man to him; so it was impossible to take seriously. The main characters of Vice Principals, however, are too plausibly terrible to me, so the show seems to delve much more heavily into cringe humor, which I don't enjoy.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Man, that post smells like a bunch of hosed buttholes.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

pizza valentine posted:

Seriously its been like a whole year and absolute radio silence wtf HBO???

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

veni veni veni posted:

I've been making my way through Delocated and you should really check it out if you like eastbound and down. It's different and somehow more absurd, but hits a lot of the same notes.

Delocated was fantastic.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Delocated was fantastic.

I could never get into it. :shrug:

Sell me on it

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Once you get past the voice filter/mask gimmick, Delocated is just a hilarious fuckin' good time.

Hulu has four entire seasons of Cutthroat Kitchen. I know what I'm doing today.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

MacheteZombie posted:

I could never get into it. :shrug:

Sell me on it

It's hilarious :shrug:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I need to get a dog now so I can name it Ding Dong Football.

FrankeeFrankFrank
Apr 21, 2005

Say word son.
Where is Delocated at? I used to love that show.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yo fam, Netflix just added The House on Coco Road and The Astronaut Farmer which are both non-negotiable must watch, for very different reasons.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

FrankeeFrankFrank posted:

Where is Delocated at? I used to love that show.

Hulu. I'm currently halfway through season 2. Had seen episodes here and there and always liked it but really missed out on many jokes.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Man, that post smells like a bunch of hosed buttholes.

I'm sorry for not liking a show?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Paper Kaiju posted:

Can you feel the tension, in the air right now?

I know I can. I can feel it all the way down in my plums.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Violent Cop is on Prime.

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!

precision posted:

Once you get past the voice filter/mask gimmick, Delocated is just a hilarious fuckin' good time.

Hulu has four entire seasons of Cutthroat Kitchen. I know what I'm doing today.

I've been blaring through this and whatever Good Eats episodes they have and now I need an injectable form of Alton Brown because I'm withdrawing.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Has Gordon Ramsay done anything particularly entertaining lately that's on streaming? The last things I saw were the Kitchen Nightmares season with Amy's Baking Company and that thing where he taught prisoners to cook. Once I discovered Our Lord and Savior Alton Brown I kind of dipped on him.

Related, there's a fun show on Netflix called Chug about a guy getting shitfaced drunk on local homemade hooch in various countries and it's really entertaining.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

When my kid was 2 and 3 he LOVED Good Eats. I wish they would put new ones on Netflix. I think he watched the waffle episode 50 times. That one was his favorite.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
I've always been a fan of Master Chef, which is on Hulu. There's a lot of "characters" and drama, but Gordon is in "angrily teaching" Gordon mode instead of Hell's Kitchen screaming Gordon mode.

Also some of the contestants are loving insanely good sometimes and it's great seeing the judges react to that.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

GonSmithe posted:

I've always been a fan of Master Chef, which is on Hulu. There's a lot of "characters" and drama, but Gordon is in "angrily teaching" Gordon mode instead of Hell's Kitchen screaming Gordon mode.

Also some of the contestants are loving insanely good sometimes and it's great seeing the judges react to that.

I don't know if they're still on Hulu but you should watch the UK version of Kitchen Nightmares and The F Word if they have them. Gordon's a likeable guy once you remove all the fake drama that his US shows have.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah I always preferred the UK Hell's Kitchens to the USA ones, he usually seems to care a lot more about helping the UK people (who are usually just victims of circumstance or being in over their heads) as opposed to the USA people (who are usually just "the most crazy/gross kitchens we could find")

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Call Me Charlie posted:

I don't know if they're still on Hulu but you should watch the UK version of Kitchen Nightmares and The F Word if they have them. Gordon's a likeable guy once you remove all the fake drama that his US shows have.

Oh I've seen them, that's what I was trying to get at. He's much more that Gordon than his US persona in Master Chef.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Best cooking show is The Great British Bake Off. No garbage drama, all the contestants seem to be pulling for each other even as they're competing against each other, just a really good show.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Call Me Charlie posted:

They actually just took down the f word on Hulu because it looks like they're doing an American version now. Which I imagine will suck. The U.K. F word is really good though.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
I like Guy's Grocery Gulag, or whatever it's called, on Hulu. It's very pleasant, which is something I never thought I'd say about a show starring the super saiyan sauce pig. Everyone is nice and there are lots of episodes where they're trying to raise money for charity and during the end bit, when they race around the store collecting stuff to see how much money they get, Guy will give them a hand if they're not doing so good. It's basically a loud, more garishly colored chamomile.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

regulargonzalez posted:

Best cooking show is The Great British Bake Off. No garbage drama, all the contestants seem to be pulling for each other even as they're competing against each other, just a really good show.

Yeah, as a sometimes chef it's definitely the most "real" cooking show and the hosts have great chemistry.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Paper Kaiju posted:

It was just a line from the show. You should keep watching; that cringy realistic assholeness you didn't like definitely expands into to the over the top crazy poo poo you liked from Eastbound & Down.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Walton Goggins getting to out-crazy Danny McBride is a joy to watch. He loving nailed that role.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Cutthroat kitchen is the only good cooking competition show.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Cutthroat Kitchen and The Great British Bake Off are the alpha and omega of cooking competitions, but they both have a lack of pretension in the actual contest. Nobody except some of the contestants in Cutthroat Kitchen really believes that victory comes from greater cooking skill instead of a willingness to sabotage others at the cost of your own benefit. Meanwhile the competition in the Bake Off has no real actual prize, and there's a general lack of viciousness in both the contestants and judges. It's a contest about amateurs that has proper expectations about what amateur means. They're both great.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

mysterious frankie posted:

I like Guy's Grocery Gulag, or whatever it's called, on Hulu. It's very pleasant, which is something I never thought I'd say about a show starring the super saiyan sauce pig. Everyone is nice and there are lots of episodes where they're trying to raise money for charity and during the end bit, when they race around the store collecting stuff to see how much money they get, Guy will give them a hand if they're not doing so good. It's basically a loud, more garishly colored chamomile.
Is this the new Guy Fieri joint? And does he still haul around that hot rod so he can take photos next to it?

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

coyo7e posted:

Is this the new Guy Fieri joint? And does he still haul around that hot rod so he can take photos next to it?

I think it's his newest thing. No cars to speak of; it's a cooking game show where people compete against one another in timed cook offs to win a cash prize, are judged by a panel, etc, except the big conceit is that it takes place in a grocery store and they have to get the ingredients for their meals from the shelves while under special conditions imposed by Fieri. At the end the winner has to run and get one specific item from each aisle; the number of items they get determines how much money they receive. It's a Guy Fieri show, however, so you can bet there are tons of shots of him sticking one of his apparently indestructible paws into cooking vessels to extract flavor/contaminate the contents with aquanet residue.

It's actually a lot of stupid fun. It's the most gentle, easy going dipshit competition show out there, and Guy's more at home as ringmaster than he is terrorizing restaurants and Public Health Agents across our blighted land.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
So, is this show like SuperMarket Sweep with cooking? I would watch that!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Michael Corleone posted:

I feel like with all the hours I spent watching Supermarket Sweep as a kid I could have learned a useful skill. I could be an engineer or something today if only I'd have never been exposed to Supermarket Sweep.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

mysterious frankie posted:

I think it's his newest thing. No cars to speak of; it's a cooking game show where people compete against one another in timed cook offs to win a cash prize, are judged by a panel, etc, except the big conceit is that it takes place in a grocery store and they have to get the ingredients for their meals from the shelves while under special conditions imposed by Fieri. At the end the winner has to run and get one specific item from each aisle; the number of items they get determines how much money they receive. It's a Guy Fieri show, however, so you can bet there are tons of shots of him sticking one of his apparently indestructible paws into cooking vessels to extract flavor/contaminate the contents with aquanet residue.

It's actually a lot of stupid fun. It's the most gentle, easy going dipshit competition show out there, and Guy's more at home as ringmaster than he is terrorizing restaurants and Public Health Agents across our blighted land.

I like Guy's Grocery Games and Cooks vs. Cons as well as anything Alton Brown is involved with.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Michael Corleone posted:

Basically. It's also got a lot of heart, which I appreciate. I spend all day at work trying to herd cats, so it's really nice to come home and watch, say, a group of grandmothers competing to see who can make the best after school snacks (Guy's own mom shows up to "secretly" give them extra money to buy their ingredients in one of the competitions), or see some dude trying to win money for a woman's shelter having a hard time finding stuff in the final race, so Guy steps in and helps him net 16K. The contestants help each other out sometimes when a challenge is tough too. It's really nice to see people being pleasant to one another while striving for something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
If you have HBO, The Nice Guys is on their streaming and it's loving great