Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Alternatively, in canada, he won't go to jail if he gets caught using creative accounting to avoid paying any taxes at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Zodijackylite posted:

McDavid would've kept $8.4m more dollars after tax if he signed in Nashville/Florida/Dallas, or $5.3m less if he signed in Montreal. Dollars taken home isn't the only thing players care about except Radulov

That's not how taxes work in pro sports.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Powershift posted:

Alternatively, in canada, he won't go to jail if he gets caught using creative accounting to avoid paying any taxes at all.

Yeah.
I mean, Radulov apparently wanted to lessen the amount of Accountant's fees he wanted to pay. Connor could probably afford the best and still come out ahead.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Kilza posted:

https://twitter.com/mirtle/status/882748291083063296

Quite a bit for someone Leafs fans don't seem to like (as far as I understand it, anyways).

Nice to see Zach Hyman make good on what is almost certainly the only multi-year contract he's ever going to see.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

That's not how taxes work in pro sports.

That's not what a calculator I found with Google said, while trying to throw out some numbers against dumb arguments to fend off my offseason longing for hockey.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Zodijackylite posted:

That's not what a calculator I found with Google said, while trying to throw out some numbers against dumb arguments to fend off my offseason longing for hockey.

Google lied; cap space died.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Pekka Rinne wrote an article for the Players Tribune. Nothing groundbreaking, but a nice read regardless. But it reminded me of how great PK is and now I'm rewatching his hospital videos and he is the best.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

my understanding is that income earned in different states is taxed according to those states also. i dunno what you are using but capfriendly has a calculator and you can just plug in a number and i don't think it's entirely accurate because of that. i'm not a cpa or whatever so feel free to correct me, it'd be interesting to know the entire story

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jock_tax

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

I feel like you're still getting a somewhat significant difference even if only half of your games are taxed at a Texas rate vs a Quebec rate. I could be wrong though.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Look Around You posted:

I feel like you're still getting a somewhat significant difference even if only half of your games are taxed at a Texas rate vs a Quebec rate. I could be wrong though.

I feel like a significant part of that difference is the reduction in lawyers and accountants you need to effectively offshore your money.

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL

hifi posted:

my understanding is that income earned in different states is taxed according to those states also. i dunno what you are using but capfriendly has a calculator and you can just plug in a number and i don't think it's entirely accurate because of that. i'm not a cpa or whatever so feel free to correct me, it'd be interesting to know the entire story

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jock_tax

Re: Radulov there's also this, though I'm not an accountant or a tax/immigration lawyer, so who knows:

https://twitter.com/walsha/status/881919341125652480

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Good news!

There's an athlete management group that's already done all the math for us

http://gavingroup.ca/personal-income-tax-rates-in-nhl-cities/

Alberta's total tax burden on the wealthy has risen from 39% to 48% over the last 5 years, dropping them from #1 in the league to near the bottom.

Using his $12.5m on that website, it comes out as:

Anaheim -$574k
Arizona $498k
Boston $427k
Buffalo -$15k
Calgary $0
Carolina $346k
Chicago $596k*
Colorado $486k
Columbus $130k
Dallas $1,065k
Detroit $233k
Edmonton $0k
Florida $1,065k
LA -$574k
Minnesota $162k
Montreal -$669k
Nashville $1,065k
New Jersey -$40k
Islanders -$16k
Rangers -$547k
Philly -$192k
Pittsburgh $306k
Ottawa -$686k
San Jose -$574k
St Louis $190k
Tampa $1,065k
Toronto -$685k
Vancouver $35k
caps -Washington -$49k
caps -Virgina -$347k
Winnipeg -$305k

That also means Subban would pay $1.25m less in Nashville than Montreal. Webber over $1m more.

Eberle would have paid $519k more in his last year on the oilers than his first.

This is all assuming any of them pay taxes at all.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Just shuttle it all off to the Caribbean, it worked well for major European soccer stars especially in Spain.

Also the hockey ladies in the ESPN naked magazine have some serious booty :fap:

bewbies fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Jul 6, 2017

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
When I loved in the D.C. Area and worked in DC lived in Virginia or Maryland the deal was you paid taxes based on where you lived not where you worked. Dunno if it's the same for athletes

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Levitate posted:

When I loved in the D.C. Area and worked in DC lived in Virginia or Maryland the deal was you paid taxes based on where you lived not where you worked. Dunno if it's the same for athletes

I'm sure there's all kinds of creative accounting you can get into. I think it works that way with corporations as well (they pay where they're based out of rather than where they have branches or whatever) which is why they all have Delaware PO boxes. At the same time, when it comes to millions/billions of dollars I'm sure the state/federal/provincial economies have found a way to get their hands in on some of that.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

bewbies posted:

Also the hockey ladies in the ESPN naked magazine have some serious booty :fap:

Salty is at least better than creepy. go back to that pls

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Levitate posted:

Pro athletes get paid on where they work.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

DJExile posted:

the guy's name is - get this - "bewbies"

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

a false posted:

the guy's name is - get this - "bewbies"

That does seem to be true but I'm not sure we can trust this guy.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

DC is in a special situation. It has agreements with MD and VA about taxes so that you only pay as a resident of either MD or VA unless you actually live in DC part-time. Most other places don't do that and there are different rules for different states and localities regarding non-resident and part-time resident taxes and some have special rules specifically regarding pro athletes.

Since the NHL pays on a per-game basis, residency is a 50-ish% part of tax burden calculations so it's a big deal, but the overall math is pretty complicated.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
There will be some differences between the sports I imagine, but two years ago someone leaked a photo of Pittsburgh Pirates player Andrew McCutchen and it shows how he paid Pennsylvania taxes plus some in cities from road games.

http://deadspin.com/lets-take-a-look-at-andrew-mccutchens-pay-stub-1706188663

NHL players probably deal with similar situations.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

DJExile posted:

I don't think the attractive ladies who voluntarily posed nude in a magazine need you to white knight for them.

Also it looks like Phoenix is going with Noted Good Guy Tocchet instead of hockey genius Todd Nelson which is really stupid.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
i love to jack off

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.

Jamwad Hilder posted:

i love to jack off

More details please.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Pro athletes get paid on where they work.

Not every jurisdiction has a jock tax, but most do. It's quite complicated and at times on shaky legal grounds. Several journeymen have made extra money by filing their teammates' tax returns for them. Most athletes have a financial adviser and it's not difficult to write off a bunch of crap like TVs (for watching game tape) and hot tubs (for recuperation) as business expenses.

Taxes are obviously a major concern for players, but they can be minimized pretty easily with a decent accountant. Athletes are as susceptible to misinformation as anyone else and end up getting suckered into high fee investments. They're for the most part new money (Mike Comrie and Zach Hyman aside) and have little to no education or motivation to learn about their finances, and end up entrusting the myriad of predatory individuals who circle the rich and foolish. They go broke because of major overspending and getting swindled, not taxes.

You're dealing with uneducated farm boys who have no concept of where their money goes and get taken for a ride like this:

quote:

Consider some misleading facts: The average NHL career is five-and-a-half years long and the average NHL salary is $2.4 million. So the average guy should have a total of $13.2 million at the end of his playing days. That’s more than enough to live happily ever after.

In truth, it isn’t. Taxes take about half (if you take no evasive tax action), agent and management fees take 25 percent, and the NHL snatches another 20 percent to put in escrow, which the owners balance out at the end of the season. Sometimes, they use the players’ cash to help small-market teams. Sometimes we’d get a refund. But for The New Avery Rule purposes, consider it gone. So really, that $13.2 million becomes $660,000 — which is still a lot of money, but you have to make that last for the next 50 or 60 years because if you have a five-and-a-half year NHL career, you’ve retired at age 25 or 26.

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/the-new-avery-rule/

Any excuse to post the New Avery Rule article because it's my favourite

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

bewbies posted:

I don't think the attractive ladies who voluntarily posed nude in a magazine need you to white knight for them.

this guy loves the boobs on women so much that he named himself after the concept of them, on the internet

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
[whilst being approached by the police for jacking off on the beach] these fuckin white knights are always trying to ruin my completely normal appreciation of the female form

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:yikes:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The ESPN body issue is meant to celebrate the human athletic form academically, not boobs or butts or dongs.

Please control yourselves.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
but the women...and the men...theyre not wearing clothes! ahhhh i want to jack off right now on this bus just thinking about it

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Jamwad Hilder posted:

but the women...and the men...theyre not wearing clothes! ahhhh i want to jack off right now on this bus just thinking about it

How about no.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Conversely my wife was not particularly interested in either Burns or Thornton, not sure why.

edit - she likes the baseball guy

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I miss hockey

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

ThinkTank posted:

I miss hockey

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I hate to interrupt this riveting discussion but I have some HOCKEY NEWS:

https://twitter.com/Capitals/status/882985133925642240

He's gonna be traded as soon as someone's goalie gets injured.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Mind_Taker posted:

I hate to interrupt this riveting discussion but I have some HOCKEY NEWS:

https://twitter.com/Capitals/status/882985133925642240

He's gonna be traded as soon as someone's goalie gets injured.

So the Stars then?

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

iospace posted:

So the Stars then?

The Kings after Quick's groin explodes Game 1 again.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Hockey newz

https://twitter.com/dril/status/872567737457016838

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

https://twitter.com/DarrenDreger/status/882940064329846784

why

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Advanced stats

(They looked to see who would help most with the tank)

• Locked thread