Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Also Google maps caching is real good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

:rip: T-Mobile

quote:

T-Mobile quietly increased the price of its T-Mobile One Plus plan by $5, bringing the total cost of a single line with the premium add-on to $80 per month instead of $75.

This is the same price a customer would pay on Verizon for a similar unlimited plan, and it marks a stark move from T-Mobile's position as an affordable wireless carrier. Verizon is often known as one of the most expensive, though premium, carriers in the United States.

A spokesperson for T-Mobile said the original price was for a promotional period, which has now ended.

T-Mobile's website has been updated to reflect the changes. A single unlimited line costs $70 but limits video streaming to DVD quality and includes support for providing data connectivity for a laptop, but only at 3G speeds.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

I am thankful for my grandfathered $30 nerd plan.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Maybe they realized what Canadian carriers have known for a while now:

gently caress you, you'll pay it. What's the alternative? No phone?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Dont care, i got pixel credit, 20% hookup, free iphone 7 credit, and 2 kickbacks every month.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Blue Train posted:

T-Mobile quietly increased the price of its T-Mobile One Plus plan by $5, bringing the total cost of a single line with the premium add-on to $80 per month instead of $75.

80 bucks a month ain't nothing but the OP5 is worth it.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

We never really strayed too far off the highways in Nebraska because I've seen enough cornfields. Other carriers just tend to die off sooner.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Been a while since I've gotten anything from Best Buy, do they price match prices on Amazon even if it's shipped and sold by someone else through Prime?

Edit:

cage-free egghead fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jul 6, 2017

Qubee
May 31, 2013

RZA Encryption posted:

:lol: preventing texting while driving is coddling you like a nanny?

FAUXTON posted:

lol when you begin your lovely opinion from the assumption that there are no other cars on the road for you to run into while changing your animes

docbeard posted:

This may be a controversially out-of-place thought for a smartphone thread, but you don't actually need to be connected to people every second out of every day.

poo poo, I forgot SA can attract the condescending and "holier-than-thou" types. Good job cherry picking my post to make me come across like I'm some rear end in a top hat who completely disregards road safety! As for not needing to be connected to people every second of every day, I agree with that. But sometimes when I'm in the car on my way to pick friends up, it's quite annoying that I have to wait until I'm pulled up outside their place to see what they messaged me. People can change plans all the time "I've decided I'll meet you at the coffee shop instead of my apartment, is it ok if you pick me up from there?" but I won't read that until I'm already outside their house.

Inept posted:

I bet you also throw your arms up when someone honks at you because the light turned green 5 seconds ago.

Automatic stop-start at traffic lights. Car turns the engine on when it detects the person in front of me pulling away. I chuck my phone into the passenger seat as soon as I feel the engine turn on, so no, not really. It doesn't take me 5 seconds to pull away.

Cheers for the help, much appreciated. I figured out you can just rebind the Bixby button to "Recent Apps" and access FB Messenger through that. Will be sure to drop a question in this thread next time I feel like having a bunch of randos use strawman arguments.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Glad you found a work around for your nanny phone.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Bandire posted:

We never really strayed too far off the highways in Nebraska because I've seen enough cornfields. Other carriers just tend to die off sooner.

Hey now, there's a lot more to it once you get off those roads :argh:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, I know it's not phones, but goddamn this nugget of Samsung gold is too amazing not to share.

qirex posted:

Samsung is not having a good year
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DBzfkP9w0s
tl;dw: RTings measured the Q7F around 800 nits, Samsung wrote to them and told them it was out of spec and should be able to hit 1000 so they bought a second one and got similar results. At this point Samsung sent people to check out the TVs and Samsung claims they were both damaged during shipping and the guide material they used got misaligned. Hilariously the RTings guys put one of them back in the box and perform some "percussive maintenance" [bang it on the floor a few times] and it measures 10% brighter after but it makes the clouding a little worse.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
What kinda accent is that?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Incessant Excess posted:

What kinda accent is that?

Quebecois

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

cage-free egghead posted:

Been a while since I've gotten anything from Best Buy, do they price match prices on Amazon even if it's shipped and sold by someone else through Prime?

Edit:

They technically do not but you might get lucky. Just play dumb.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

I think Best Buy price matches Amazon specifically, but it has to be sold and shipped from Amazon, not a third-party seller.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

Q8ee posted:

poo poo, I forgot SA can attract the condescending and "holier-than-thou" types. Good job cherry picking my post to make me come across like I'm some rear end in a top hat who completely disregards road safety!

You have literally admitted to texting while driving. Where I live it is illegal - cops have special cameras they can see you with from 2km away, first offense costs $400 +4 points in license, second costs $900 + r points, 2+ and your license can be suspended for up to a year. It's also dangerous, 3 people per month die in crashes attributed to texting while driving. The only way you've gotten around not stopping at the light like a tool is because of a very specific feature in your specific car. So yes, you are an rear end in a top hat with no regard for road safety.

Maybe you should either stop being the chauffeur for your friends or you could have them call you, when they obviously know you are already on the way and driving, and therefore will not be answering text messages. Alternately you could pull over to the side of the road to read the message, but lord knows that will be too inconvenient.

In other news - I don't suppose there have been any juicy Pixel 2 leaks? I have a query in News & Weather for it but lately it's just the same "here's a render of what someone thinks it will look like" .

TollTheHounds fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jul 6, 2017

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Also android auto text messaging works loving perfect so just use it you rear end in a top hat.

Jacobus Spades
Oct 29, 2004

cage-free egghead posted:

Edit:

Possibly. It depends on whether it's actually a 3rd party offer or an offer that Amazon is having fulfilled by a 3rd party on their behalf. In the latter case it should be accepted.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Don't loving text while driving you loving dangerous idiot.

TollTheHounds posted:

In other news - I don't suppose there have been any juicy Pixel 2 leaks? I have a query in News & Weather for it but lately it's just the same "here's a render of what someone thinks it will look like" .

The only poo poo so far has been:

-one model canned, there will just be 2 now, big and normal
-SD835
-potentially no headphone jack on the small one, don't know how accurate that leak was
-stereo speakers
-nothing about waterproofing, please god
-curved OLEDs are being sourced so edge-to-edge display maybe?

vvv Oh okay, that wasn't due out until next month so I wasn't sure if it would be produced in enough quantity for the Pixel 2

CLAM DOWN fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jul 6, 2017

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Sd836

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Blue Train posted:

:rip: T-Mobile

quote:

T-Mobile quietly increased the price of its T-Mobile One Plus plan by $5, bringing the total cost of a single line with the premium add-on to $80 per month instead of $75. 

One Plus'd again

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

CLAM DOWN posted:

Don't loving text while driving you loving dangerous idiot.

The only poo poo so far has been:

-one model canned, there will just be 2 now, big and normal
-SD835
-potentially no headphone jack on the small one, don't know how accurate that leak was
-stereo speakers
-nothing about waterproofing, please god
-curved OLEDs are being sourced so edge-to-edge display maybe?

vvv Oh okay, that wasn't due out until next month so I wasn't sure if it would be produced in enough quantity for the Pixel 2

smaller bezels on the XL, same design as the first Pixel for the regular sized one

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Incessant Excess posted:

smaller bezels on the XL, same design as the first Pixel for the regular sized one

Right, the regular one is apparently going to be similar to the current Pixel except for stereo speakers instead of a headphone jack the rumour goes. The XL will have the curved OLED with smaller bezel I guess? I have giant manly hands so I'll get the XL for sure.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I don't know, but all this Pixel 2 talk is getting me excited for new phone day! :flashfap:

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Was the Pixel announcement it's own event last year or part of some larger Google event?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2017/7/6/15930286/motorola-nyc-event-july-25-moto-x-time-date

Motorola launch event on July 25th.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Some non-Pixel mobile camera news: OP5 scores an 87 at DxOmark placing it above the iPhone 7, and Zeiss will be working with Nokia again on their upcoming phones (not the budget ones that come out in Aug)

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Incessant Excess posted:

Was the Pixel announcement it's own event last year or part of some larger Google event?

https://www.theverge.com/2016/10/4/13161028/google-phone-announced-pixel-xl-price-release-date-specs

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

If those motherfucks don't have a headphone jack they are losing a customer. I use mine constantly and there's no good reason to not include it

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Taffer posted:

If those motherfucks don't have a headphone jack they are losing a customer. I use mine constantly and there's no good reason to not include it

That way you have to buy a separate google branded music player!

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I really hope that if the small Pixel uses last years design, it will also be significantly cheaper.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Since they can't make the fast enough at the current price good luck with that.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, I know it's not phones, but goddamn this nugget of Samsung gold is too amazing not to share.

http://techreport.com/news/32205/intel-may-lose-the-silicon-revenue-crown-to-samsung

Yeah if you think give two shits about some Russian YT guy when they making $25.8 billion alone through their latest NAND/DRAM price fixing schemes semicon division.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Don Lapre posted:

Since they can't make the fast enough at the current price good luck with that.

The problem isn't really demand as much as it is supply. Ever since the Nexus 4 Google seems to only manufacture like 15 units a month.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Desk Lamp posted:

The problem isn't really demand as much as it is supply. Ever since the Nexus 4 Google seems to only manufacture like 15 units a month.

That's theorised to be why they're switching manufacturers for the Pixel 2.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Syrinxx posted:

Is this a POTUS tweet

His opinions on this issue are different than you might think!

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/390896287949656064

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

MaxxBot posted:

His opinions on this issue are different than you might think!

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/390896287949656064

Steve told us that the tiny screen was "really big" when he first unveiled the iPhone so naturally everyone believed him... at first.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
https://streamable.com/6epa7

Dunno how it compares to other phones at high speed but the pixel does a really good job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
https://twitter.com/OnePlus_Support/status/883047144021798912