Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

qhat posted:

The problem ... is ... morons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

cis autodrag posted:

the only ignores I have are captain invictus cuz his avatar annoys me and all he posts is anime, and canadian depression man because his depressive posting streaks make huge chunks of threads unreadable.

you'll have to be more specific

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Stymie is actually cool and good. it's the kneejerk "agghhhbllflflbghhhh stymie posted" responses that are tiresome

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

cis autodrag posted:

the only ignores I have are captain invictus cuz his avatar annoys me and all he posts is anime, and canadian depression man because his depressive posting streaks make huge chunks of threads unreadable.

which one lol

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

C.H.O.M.E posted:

which one lol

the one who posts exclusively anime, bad music, and drugs

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
... oh, james!

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

JawnV6 posted:

... oh, james!

Lol

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

cis autodrag posted:

the one who posts exclusively anime, bad music, and drugs

oh yeah he's bad

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Stymie is actually cool and good. it's the kneejerk "agghhhbllflflbghhhh stymie posted" responses that are tiresome

perhaps the truth is in the middle

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

:wrong:

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

C.H.O.M.E posted:

that's right when your wife and friend sleep together it's not a betrayal at all

yep, you've insinuated yourself in a situation where you have no involvement because two consenting adults made a choice you don't like

perhaps the problem is when you view a partner as a possession and deny them the agency to do as they wish because otherwise they might get "stolen"

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

C.H.O.M.E posted:

which one lol

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

lol some startup that made me a verbal offer 3 weeks ago, and then went totally incommunicado just sent me their offer

TOO LATE SUCKASSSSS

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

lol some startup that made me a verbal offer 3 weeks ago, and then went totally incommunicado just sent me their offer

TOO LATE SUCKASSSSS
you were actually their second choice but they werent sure their first choice would agree so they gave both of you offers and if firstchoice had accepted they would have just continued ghosting you

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Stymie is actually cool and good.

:agreed:

just dont quote him

also do labour and dont use ssds

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

FMguru posted:

you were actually their second choice but they werent sure their first choice would agree so they gave both of you offers and if firstchoice had accepted they would have just continued ghosting you
definitely true generally, but in this case i think they're just a trainwreck, there were other :redflag:s

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
I feel like 90% of recruiters are terrible. Jobspring, Workbridge, etc. How do you guys figure out which firms/recruiters are not terrible?

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

huhu posted:

I feel like 90% of recruiters are terrible. Jobspring, Workbridge, etc. How do you guys figure out which firms/recruiters are not terrible?

I think to myself "is this an external recruiter" and if the answer to that is yes, then they are terrible

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

huhu posted:

you're off by 10%

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

definitely true generally, but in this case i think they're just a trainwreck, there were other :redflag:s
yeah the other possibility is their hr is a trainwreck and after going through the entire hiring process and choosing their candidate and extending an offer and getting an acceptance they spent the next three weeks quietly fingering their own buttholes

which is hilarious because they had to know that you (and every other candidate they looked at) were actively job hunting and interviewing and fielding offers and that theyll lose you to another company if they dont put a little effort into locking you down and discussing compensation and setting a start date and setting you a formal offer letter

they went through the whole process, got to the very last hoop, they decided to take a nap for three weeks and now have to start the process all over again

you dodged a bullet, imho. :redflag:s ahoy

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
I did have a good experience with a recruiter once. She knew things like the difference between JS and Java and it was magical.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

I've literally never had a company offer me a job without sending through a compensation package within a day or two. Not following this norm is in itself a red flag.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

big tech company took like 2 weeks for the written offer because it "needs 6 levels of approval"

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

FMguru posted:

yeah the other possibility is their hr is a trainwreck and after going through the entire hiring process and choosing their candidate and extending an offer and getting an acceptance they spent the next three weeks quietly fingering their own buttholes

which is hilarious because they had to know that you (and every other candidate they looked at) were actively job hunting and interviewing and fielding offers and that theyll lose you to another company if they dont put a little effort into locking you down and discussing compensation and setting a start date and setting you a formal offer letter

they went through the whole process, got to the very last hoop, they decided to take a nap for three weeks and now have to start the process all over again

you dodged a bullet, imho. :redflag:s ahoy

what's an hr department? (it was ~7 person company)

it sounded like they hadn't ironed out the 'heres how we get the board to approve equity grants' part of the hiring process at all and like just considered that right when they realized they needed to do it for the first time in a while

anyway the biggest red flag was I talked to them for a total of 2 hours and then they within 5 minutes of getting off our last call made a verbal offer, i mean i know i'm super sexy and ultra smart.... but................

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

DuckConference posted:

big tech company took like 2 weeks for the written offer because it "needs 6 levels of approval"

Lol if your company doesn't know within 24 hours of the interview what they are going to offer you

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

yeah my other fail of an offer was a ~4000 person company that wanted to hire me, but spent 2 weeks (and never finished) figuring out how setting up a business nexus in my state would impact their taxes or if they needed to 1099 me :negative:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

qhat posted:

Lol if your company doesn't know within 24 hours of the interview what they are going to offer you

even if the hiring manager immediately sends an email to hr "hire his guy, use this budget" it'll still probably have to be confirmed through higher levels. think of it like a 6.5 figgy purchase

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

qhat posted:

lol if your pay package doesnt have to be reviewed by the board

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
I love Glassdoor reviews for very obviously lovely SMB's. There's the fake ones that are all unicorns and rainbows where they one con to list that's not really a problem like "the office is cramped, but luckily we're moving soon, yay!", or use the con field to say "we didn't really focus on our outward image before, so that's why we have bad reviews, but now everything's great!". And other reviews are like "I was fired after 3 days for not knowing node. I had no idea I was supposed to know node"

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
ive been hit up by the same recruiter with the exact same message, apparently the engineering director still thinks i'd be a good fit??

what i wanna know is where this BS line comes from

quote:

PLEASE, either "accept" or "decline" this message so I don’t bother you again if you're not interested.
can't do the bare minimum of bookkeeping for yourself? wanna act like that poo poo's my problem? no. no sir.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

JawnV6 posted:

ive been hit up by the same recruiter with the exact same message, apparently the engineering director still thinks i'd be a good fit??

what i wanna know is where this BS line comes from

can't do the bare minimum of bookkeeping for yourself? wanna act like that poo poo's my problem? no. no sir.
This is a Linked In request yes?

The reason for this is that they don't have to pay the linked in fee if you respond, positively or negatively, to the message. If you just ignore it then they have to pay.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
oh, i thought they paid to hit me up out of the blue regardless? always thought the cheapskates were the ones sending connection requests

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

JawnV6 posted:

oh, i thought they paid to hit me up out of the blue regardless? always thought the cheapskates were the ones sending connection requests
In theory Linked In wants to incentivize useful and relevant job solicitations. The connection requests are also cheapskates, yes.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

ShadowHawk posted:

The reason for this is that they don't have to pay the linked in fee if you respond, positively or negatively, to the message. If you just ignore it then they have to pay.

hahahaha that owns

i can ignore recruiters and cost them money at the same time? sign me up

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

ShadowHawk posted:

Glad to know I've been costing lovely recruiters money all these years and didn't even know it.

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

carry on then posted:

we've been over this, the formula is salary = 10(figgies-1)

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

ThePeavstenator posted:

IT in and of itself is an industry buzzword and a lot of people just assume it's a term that encompasses all jobs that involve "computer stuff".

this is how my partner explains my job to other people and i usually, rudely, pigheadedly, mansplainingly, interject to say that "no i work on software features, bugs, and issues"

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Lumping highly paid software engineering design architect tech lead CTO types into the same bundle as geek squad "I work in tech too" is a lot like those guys at the video rental store saying they're in the film industry.

They're not wrong, exactly. It's just most people hearing that will be mislead.

Iverron
May 13, 2012

being a newbie and blocked by oldies availabilities in an open office is a poo poo show

can't wait for this phase to be over

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

I'm fine with people thinking I do geeksquad stuff. It's not like we'd have deep conversations about the intricacies of whatever network stack during a random encounter. I'll correct them if they ask me to look at their computer but that's it.

• Locked thread