Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

Inept posted:

Who the gently caress takes a vacation overseas for less than a week?

Traitors who don't want to spend most of the year in the glorious United States

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

quote:

Applicant’s SOR alleges nearly $70,000 in delinquents debts, for credit cards, a repossessed vehicle, a disputed rental agreement, etc. Applicant denied certain debts and attributed others to identify theft. Applicant did not provide documentary evidence of the basis for his disputes nor did he demonstrate that any of the SOR debts had been paid. In addition, Applicant and his wife purchased a house as an investment. He contended that the second mortgage on the house was sold and that he did not know whom to pay, so he advised his wife to make no payments until someone contacted them. The lender foreclosed on the house. This debt was not alleged in the SOR. The Judge stated that she was considering it for limited purposes, such as mitigation, the whole-person
analysis, etc.

Applicant claimed that his problems with the house and with the vehicle originated from the creditors having made mistakes about the appropriate interest rates. He contended that other creditors closed accounts without communicating with him and that he was unfairly charged for damage to rental property. As noted above, Applicant provided no corroboration for his claims.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

quote:

Applicant did not file Federal or state income tax returns for nine years. In addition she owes back taxes to the IRS.1 The IRS filed a notice of intent to levy her state tax refunds or other property to satisfy her debt. Applicant attributed her problems to stress and anxiety following a marital separation. She stopped filing returns because of her concern about not being able to pay her tax debt. In August 2016, Applicant requested an installment agreement from the IRS. That agency approved an agreement whereby Applicant would pay $100 each month toward the satisfaction of her debt. Applicant submitted evidence of one payment in October 2016. Although Applicant believes that she owes no tax to her state, she has not contacted state authorities or filed her state tax returns.

Applicant’s annual salary is about $42,000. She has no savings or retirement funds. She was not certain about how much she had left over after monthly expenses.

The Judge concluded that Applicant’s tax problems did not result from unusual circumstances. He stated that she did not corroborate her claim that anxiety attacks affected her ability to file her returns and noted that she had not sought or received financial counseling.

Applicant cites to favorable evidence, such as her having held a clearance for many years without incident or concern. Her argument is not enough to rebut the presumption that the Judge considered all of the evidence in the record. Neither is it enough to show that the Judge weighed the evidence in a manner that was arbitrary, capricious, or contrary to law. She also states that without a clearance she will not have a job. We are not permitted to consider the impact of an unfavorable decision. Adverse decision affirmed.

You should probably not ignore the tax man when your job requires security clearance.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

http://ogc.osd.mil/doha/industrial/07-00532.h1.pdf

quote:

Federal and state tax authorities are pursuing Applicant for nearly $200,000 in deficiency amounts for tax years 2002, 2003, and 2004. In an audit in 2007, the IRS concluded that Applicant’s horse business is a hobby or not-for-profit business and determined he was not entitled to claim business expenses for those three years. Applicant disagrees and contends that his horse business is a viable, for-profit business.

quote:

This case stems from Applicant’s horse business—which is separate from his employment in the defense industry—and an ongoing tax dispute. The business breeds, raises, trains, competes, and sells reining horses and working cow horses, and it currently has approximately 25 horses available for sale (Exhibit B). Applicant estimates that he has invested approximately $600,000 of his own money into the business (R. 32). The business did not show a profit for 2002, 2003, and 2004, the tax years in question. It had a profit of less than $10,000 in 2006, and Applicant expects to show a larger profit in 2007.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

I think we've got our BWM olympics nominee

yoloer420
May 19, 2006

Dillbag posted:

The US Military is apparently considering relaxing marijuana drug use restrictions for recruits because they're having a hard time finding drone pilots.

Last year it was the NSA because they were having a hard time hiring hackers. I'm not sure drone pilots being blazed is productive though.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

quote:

On 12 October 1983, Applicant shoplifted one pound of cheese on a dare from a friend; he was arrested and spent the night in jail--because he had no identification on him. On 19 May 1986, Applicant and his spouse filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy, listing $9,214.20 in debts; the debts were discharged on 6 October 1986 (G.E. 4). Applicant and his spouse had overextended themselves and were poor money managers (G.E. 2). After the discharge in bankruptcy, their money management did not improve. In 1990, a creditor garnished Applicant's wages to pay a $775.15 debts that Applicant owed (G.E. 5). By 1993, Applicant was neglecting to pay his bills on time (G.E. 2). In January 1994, Applicant stole $17.00 from a petty cash drawer at his employer;(2) Applicant was caught on videotape. When confronted, Applicant initially denied wrongdoing, but when confronted with the videotape, admitted his guilt; on 20 January 1994, the company fired Applicant (G.E. 6).

Applicant's lost job further reduced his ability to stay current on his debts. He filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy again on 8 June 1994, listing $14,524.73 in debts; the debts were discharged 26 September 1994. However, his financial situation has not improved. He owes past due amounts to a hospital since approximately July 1995 and to a gasoline company since August 1995; he has stayed current on other bills by borrowing money from his father-in-law--to whom he now owes approximately $9,000.00. From September 1995 to approximately April 1996, he used his company's travel and entertainment card to pay for personal expenses, knowing that he did not have the means to repay the expenses, and that the expenses were not reimbursable from the company; he owes the card company approximately $5000.00--and is presently making no payments. As of April 1996, Applicant's expenses--not counting payments he should be making to creditors--exceed his income by $158.00 a month.

Applicant provided proof that the debt in subparagraph 2.b. was paid in 1993, and the debt in paragraph 2.c. was included in a prior bankruptcy. Applicant claimed to be making payments on some of the past due accounts, but could produce no proof of payments; he claimed to have a budget, but brought no documentation to corroborate that claim; he claimed to have a list of payments he had made to creditors, but failed to bring that record to the hearing. Applicant told the DIS agent in April 1996, that Applicant and his spouse were seeking credit counseling to resolve their difficulties; yet, as of the date of the hearing, Applicant had taken no steps to arrange a financial plan. Applicant's financial picture is further complicated by an insurance settlement--involving acts taken by Applicant's minor child--that obligates Applicant to pay $200.00 a month in satisfaction of a $30,000.00 debt; payments on that debt run to the year 2008. Several of Applicant's employers--including some part-time employment Applicant has undertaken to try to deal with his financial situation--consider him a conscientious employee.

2. Applicant needed the money to pay his cable television bill; he had keys to the drawer as part of his company responsibilities.

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008
Re: the thread title I'm sure there's exceptions but the wealthy people I know rock plastic like it's 2017.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

I admire applicant's can-do never-give-up attitude; if I had that kind of past I wouldn't even have tried to get clearance.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

He never would have had a double bankruptcy if it wasn't for that pound of cheese.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
This is from a reddit post about people who work non-standard jobs. While this guy claims to have made a lot of money and I can't actually dispute that, thus making this not actually BWM yet, on the other hand... come on:

quote:

I trade bitcoin, ethereum and other cryptocurrencies full-time. I left my last job more than 3 years ago to do this. It was never my plan - an interest turned into a hobby which turned into a job. You need intrinsic motivation to do something like this, and a very unique psychology I think. I have talked with hundreds of traders, successful and broken over the years. What drove a lot of them is a love for the market and a very deep understanding of the market itself. Intrinsic motivation can be very powerful.

The good:
Work whenever you want really. And it is not even work to me like crunching a spreadsheet or cold calling people. You talk with your friends in chatrooms. You watch charts.
Very "seasonal" work. Can get months of 24\7 action, can get months of nothing with complete freedom.
A typical week can have big changes in your net worth (up and down), but you must not be thinking about that. But I've done well for myself - student loans paid off 5 years ahead of schedule among many other things.
Market is 24\7, so you can live anywhere in the world and still be able to participate. Because of this you don't have to live in a specific city or country, all you need is an internet connection.
You tell people that you meet that your job is trading and that typically spawns very interesting conversations.
You get consulting work for cryptocurrency companies and special deals to additionally pad your income. This is the closest I come to an actual job.
No credentials to actually do this. No degree. No previous experience.

The bad:
You're a bitch to the market because it trades 24\7\365. Sleeping? hahahaha. PRICE ALARM PRICE ALARM PRICE ALARM
During bubbles (like it is in now) you have lots of action, but when things are quiet you can go weeks without making any serious money. I have had 3 month stretches where I made $500 total. You must budget your living expenses extremely carefully to maintain a float. You can not trade today to make rent next month.
It basically is gambling at the end of the day and can be dangerous to those who have that gambling bug. However, unlike slot machines where the odds are fixed against the player, trading is very dynamic. I believe there is a bell sharped profitability curve where you have successful people and unsuccessful people. Sadly it is skewed such that the profitable side of the bell curve contains many fewer people than the unprofitable side.
You have to have specific psychological makeups and close off your emotions when planning and executing a trade. It is something easy to say but difficult to do. Either you have "it" or you don't IMO.
You don't earn money directly based on how much work you put in. You can do everything right and still loose money. You only get what the market gives you.
At the end of the day it is a cutthroat job. You are at the whim of the market. But I am one of the lucky ones. Both in a bull and bear market, I have survived. What happens to so many people is they do good for a while within a trend, but the moment the market changes, they fall out and get destroyed. I would say 70-90% of people who try and trade end up loosing money at the end of the day.
Making the leap from trading on the side to full time is very difficult because not getting a paycheck every month can be unnerving to some. You must understand the risks and do your due diligence to protect against them.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

Haifisch posted:

cheese thief

holey moley that's just one bad decision after another

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Ashcans posted:

He never would have had a double bankruptcy if it wasn't for that pound of cheese.

"I’ll not be made a soft and dull-eyed fool,
To shake the head, relent, and sigh, and yield
To Christian intercessors. Follow not;
I’ll have no speaking; I will have my cheese.
" -An Applicant of Clearance, Act IV

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I stand atop the smoldering ruins of my debts, bankruptcies strewn around like so many leaves of the autumn. I look up and state "I dunno what happened lol". The adjudication of my life is dispassionately delivered from on high.

Clearance Denied.

I would like to join in and nominate Horsemaster Clearanceman for a wonderhanger. If there's not a category for him we should make one.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

http://ogc.osd.mil/doha/industrial/13-01024.h1.pdf

quote:

Applicant worked in support of NASA from 1985 until 2011, and by the time she was laid off in May 2011, she was earning approximately $150,000 per year. In 2002, being financially secure in her job, she developed a life-long horse hobby into an equine breeding business as a sideline. She purchased several rental houses and built the facility on a ten and one-half acre site, stocked it with three stallions and several brood mares, and over the next several years, purchased additional adjacent land, purchased equipment, and hired employees. At one point, she had 55 horses in her facility. In 2006, Applicant expanded her operation with the intention of producing and selling an increased number of foals per year. The production doubled from 6 to 12 foals. The acreage was up to about 120 acres.

quote:

There was nothing unusual about Applicant’s finances until about 2007 – 2008, when “the bottom fell out of the economy” and people starting decreasing their expenditures on luxuries like hunt clubs and thoroughbreds.Renters were unable to continue making their monthly rental payments, and either moved out or were evicted. Her horses still had to eat and be maintained. During this period, while loading horses, Applicant was injured when she was “slam-dunked” into the ground, resulting in her requiring neck surgery and being somewhat incapacitated for seven or eight months.

quote:

Until she could secure another good job, she accepted a much lower paying job with an equine hospital about 70 miles away in another state, where she earned $24,000 per year.

quote:

The president of the local bank first met Applicant through fox hunting, but subsequently assisted her in financing various real estate transactions over the years.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

Hyrax Attack! posted:

http://ogc.osd.mil/doha/industrial/13-01024.h1.pdf

During this period, while loading horses, Applicant was injured when she was “slam-dunked” into the ground, resulting in her requiring neck surgery and being somewhat incapacitated for seven or eight months.

This is most amazing line in an official document.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Did Horse Hogan slam her into the ground and put her in a neck grip?

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

NancyPants posted:

I think we've got our BWM olympics nominee

You say that but

quote:

Applicant is a 63-year-old executive who works in the defense industry. He holds both a bachelor’s degree and an MBA. He is a retired Navy captain (pay grade 06) having served approximately 26 years of active and reserve duty

He's clearly got the money to support his business/hobby.

quote:

After weighing the record evidence as a whole, Applicant has successfully explained, extenuated, or mitigated the financial considerations security concern. And Applicant has overcome the case against him and satisfied his ultimate burden of persuasion to obtain a favorable clearance decision. Accordingly, Guideline F is decided for Applicant

Manwich
Oct 3, 2002

Grrrrah

monster on a stick posted:

Did Horse Hogan slam her into the ground and put her in a neck grip?

:boom:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Bad With Money: Applicant shoplifted one pound of cheese on a dare from a friend

Ebola Roulette
Sep 13, 2010

No matter what you win lose ragepiss.

Almost debt free & house paid off, but expenses exceed income. Afraid I may have to sell our home. posted:

Assets: House: $450,000 (I own / no liens) Vehicles: my Toyota econobox $5k, my Chevy pickup $6k, his Chevy suv $5k (we are working on selling his SUV)

Expenses:

Property taxes for the house $3,900/year

Homeowners insurance $1,700/year

Auto insurance $2,400/year between his policy and mine. Insurance company won't let us combine things until married. We both have excellent driving records.

Food $300-400/month (??)

Utilities: Power $200-$250/month, Heat & hotwater $300/month average, Water & sewer = well is free, Trash= I take to landfill myself for $6/visit .... monthly total about $500-550 (Heat: I turn thermostat back to 58-62F in winter and installed programmable thermostats but house is 2700 sq ft)

Phone: no house phone. Cell phones $200 total.

Internet: $45 (cheapest plan)

TV: no satellite or cable. Netflix $8/month

Minimal maintenance on house & cars: $2,000/year estimate

Pets expenses- cats, dog, 4 horses: food, shots, medical, etc: $3,500/year. (The horses aren't very marketable so they'd be hard to sell and it would devastate me to have them put down because of budget. This is the last thing I'll give up. I'd rather subsist on ramen noodles!)

Household items, clothes & shoes (thrift store or walmart), and other essentials: estimate $1,000/year

Interest payments on the stupid credit card. Currently about $100 each payment is interest and another $100-150 additional makes up minimum payment of $250/month

Gas for him to get to work and me to run minimal errands: $100-150/month

Savings and retirement: we have nothing left to put in these accounts (!!!)

Child's expenses: clothes, formula, etc - currently my mother buys most of what baby needs. But this isn't a way to live!? estimate at $1000/year plus we want to put $ away for her for emergency or education, but we can't. So right now is $0

Health insurance: currently enrolled in Medicaid (free) but we may lose that now that he's working so many hours. To buy health insurance through his employer, his contribution is $525.00 a month plus co-pays. I'm budgeting $0 but don't know what will happen if we lose Medicaid eligibility.

Luxury expenses:

dining out: no restaurants but we have been doing Chinese Take out 2-3x a month = $100/month. It's my only indulgence.

cigarettes: I don't smoke. He's at close to 2 packs a day, he says due to work stress. $300-$350/month

he sometimes grabs lunch at convenience store because he's driving 12 hour days. I wouldn't do this, but I can't control what he does. Let's say 1-2x a week @$10 visit = $100/month

we stopped going to movies, stopped taking trips, don't go to shows, etc. No vacations. No nothing. I don't buy jewelry, don't shop the mall, dont eat fast food, don't buy things for fun. I buy my clothes used. Furniture is older and bought secondhand. I stopped going out with friends. This is getting depressing.

I do all our own lawn care, dog grooming,cleaning, housepainting, etc. I try to fix as much as I can myself. No manicures. No spa days. Right now I have shaggy hair because I'd rather not spend the $25 right now. No nothing we don't absolutely need.

no money to open pool so I will leave it covered again this summer

Bottom line: Take home pay $31,200/year + projected tax refund $5k-$6k = about $36,200

Expenses at least $37k (which doesn't pay down credit card)

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/32eg8z/almost_debt_free_house_paid_off_but_expenses/?ref=search_posts

Kanish
Jun 17, 2004

How the hell do they own that house at a hh income of 34k? Inheritance?

I love factoring in the tax refund as yearly income.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Could be inheritance, could be they changed careers (voluntarily or otherwise). See the horse housing woman above.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Ebola Roulette posted:

4 horses: food, shots, medical, etc: $3,500/year.

Ebola Roulette posted:

Chinese Take out 2-3x a month = $100/month. It's my only indulgence.

:raise:

Pets are an "indulgence" and horses are a goddamned luxury. Jesus.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

I saw "owns $450k house outright" at the start, and then $3500/year for all of those pets and thought, huh, well that's expensive but not ridiculously unreasonable if you're living in a nearly half million dollar home with no mortgage

Then I got to the income and was just really, really confused.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

brugroffil posted:

Then I got to the income and was just really, really confused.

There are various rules of thumb about how much you should budget each year for home maintenance, but 1-2% of the home value is an estimate that seems reasonable to me. That sounds like a lot of house for someone not making very much money.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 53 minutes!
$33 to $50 Chinese takeout meal for 2 people must be some really good dumplings.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

quote:

Applicant is 32 years old and has been employed by his current employer--a defense contractor--since July 1996. He had previously held a security clearance from 1987 to 1993 while a member of the National Guard of State X. A favorable preliminary determination could not be made on Applicant's current suitability for a security clearance because of financial considerations.

Applicant began to fall behind in his financial obligations after relocating to a high-cost metropolitan area in August 1992; he had previously lived in a more rural area where the cost of living was much lower. Because he did not adjust his lifestyle, he was unable to live within his budget due to the higher living costs of his new home. He has lived in expensive apartments and until recently, he was eating all of his meals at restaurants--seven days a week. To finance his lifestyle, he had to borrow money. He opened two accounts with Credit Union A in mid-1993; one account was a $5,000.00 signature loan, the other was a credit card with a $5,000.00 line of credit (both obligations are alleged in subparagraph 1.c. of the SOR). He borrowed more than $5,000.00 from Creditor B (obligation alleged in subparagraph 1.a. of the SOR) in May 1993 to pay the tuition which enabled him to complete the requirements for his degree in computer information systems.(2) In addition to these obligations, Applicant also borrowed more than $2,000.00 from members of his family.

After Applicant received his degree from College X in June 1993, he was unable to find a good-paying job in his career field. He worked at a series of jobs (Gov. Exh 1), but none of them paid a salary which enabled him to meet current living expenses as well as pay down the debts which he had been incurring. From July 1993 to December 1993, he earned an average of $2,000.00 per month; from December 1993 to February 1994, he was unemployed. During this time, he had borrowed the maximum amount on the two accounts from Credit Union A. He continued to make payments to the Credit Union until 1995 when the payments became too burdensome. When he attempted to reduce his monthly payments by consolidating the two obligations, the Credit Union refused because each obligation had a different interest rate. He had made several payments on his loan to creditor B, but had fallen several months behind in these payments by July 1996. During the same time frame, he had checks returned ("bounced") for insufficient funds and his utilities were disconnected on "some occasions" because of late payments (Gov. Exh 3). By March of 1997, his indebtedness to Credit Union A exceeded $13,000.00, and his indebtedness to Creditor B exceeded $4,400.00. Applicant was not making regular payments to either creditor.

potee
Jul 23, 2007

Or, you know.

Not fine.

Kanish posted:

I would guess it's an inherited property, maybe with a significant amount of buildable land. And/or they are seriously delusional about the value of their property.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

quote:

Applicant is a 53 year old lithotech operator and expediter who has worked for his current employer, a defense contractor, since March 1967. He seeks to retain a Secret security clearance which was granted to him on December 10, 1972, by the Defense Industrial Security Clearance Office in connection with his defense-related employ.

Applicant overextended himself on credit cards, taking cash advances, purchasing consumer items and charging car repairs/service.(3) His income, which has varied over the last five years from $40,000.00 to $50,000.00 per year depending on overtime work, was no longer sufficient to meet his monthly minimum payments on his credit cards and commencing in early 1995, he stopped paying on his credit card accounts, as follows:

(7 credit cards snipped out)

In February 1986, Applicant purchased a two bedroom townhouse for $53,717.00. He has two mortgages on the property, the first for $32,342.00 owed to a bank mortgage company which requires monthly payments of $465.15, including real estate taxes. Applicant has remained current on his mortgage payment. The second mortgage, which is in the amount of $19,375.00 and held by a local development corporation, requires no monthly payment. Applicant will owe nothing on the second mortgage provided he remains in the property for twelve years.

In early 1995, Applicant withdrew $11,000.00 from his 401K account in an effort to reduce his credit card indebtedness. He paid some monies on each of his delinquent accounts, but that amount was not sufficient to restore him to financial solvency. In October/November 1995, Applicant concluded that his only option was to file for bankruptcy. Sometime prior to June 27, 1996, Applicant consulted with an attorney about filing bankruptcy.

In early 1997, Applicant was behind on his electric bill between $800.00 and $1,000.00. As of August 1997, his utility bill was again current.

On May 14, 1997, Applicant filed jointly with his spouse a petition in bankruptcy under Chapter 7, listing $53,717.00 (the mortgages on his residence) in secured debt and $18,317.00 in unsecured credit card debt,(4) including the credit card obligations to creditors #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6 and #7.(5)

Applicant reaffirmed his two mortgage debts. On May 15, 1997, Applicant filed an amendment to the bankruptcy petition adding two creditors with outstanding financial obligations of $7,600.00 to a credit union and $4,179.00 to a credit company, respectively. Assets claimed exempt in the bankruptcy include a 1992 mercury sable automobile with 110,000 miles which is paid for, $25.00 cash, $319.00 in checking and savings, $600.00 worth of clothing, $1,000.00 in household goods, and a life insurance policy with a value of $887.00. On July 7, 1997, the trustee issued a report of no distribution to the creditors, as Applicant had no property available for distribution from the estate over and above that exempted by law. As of August 18, 1997, the deadline for creditors to file their objections to the bankruptcy discharge, neither the creditors nor the assigned Chapter 7 bankruptcy trustee had filed any objection. On August 25, 1997, Applicant was granted a discharge in bankruptcy, releasing him from all dischargeable debts.

Applicant earned wages from his employment in 1994 of $40,000.00, in 1995 of $42,000.00 and in 1996 of $50,901.00. His spouse had no income. As of May 1997, his net monthly take home pay amounted to $1,911.00 with expenditures (not including any payments on his credit card debt) of $1,832.00. Applicant's income is sufficient to meet his present living expenses.

Applicant never sought out financial services counseling as he felt he did not need it.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

yoloer420 posted:

Last year it was the NSA because they were having a hard time hiring hackers. I'm not sure drone pilots being blazed is productive though.

based on my twitch viewing, the higher you are the better you are at video games remote piloting drones

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Kanish posted:

That's take home they said, so maybe closer to 60k base, but stil... The utilities are also out of control insane, they should be able to cut those back substantially.

And like 100 bags of trash a month, I hope that's a typo.

JumpyMonky
Jul 30, 2010

CORN

potee posted:

I would guess it's an inherited property, maybe with a significant amount of buildable land. And/or they are seriously delusional about the value of their property.

If it's as big as they say it is, maybe rent out a room to get supplemental income? Make those horses pay rent!

It's weird how this is broken up into months and years so it makes it hard to tell at first glance that a bad cigarette habit is somehow more expensive than 4 horses.

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer

baquerd posted:

That's take home they said, so maybe closer to 60k base, but stil... The utilities are also out of control insane, they should be able to cut those back substantially.

And like 100 bags of trash a month, I hope that's a typo.

The $500 is for all utilities, $6per visit is for trash which is like, 8-9ish visits for about $50/mo. Still weird, but not insane.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Higgy posted:

The $500 is for all utilities, $6per visit is for trash which is like, 8-9ish visits for about $50/mo. Still weird, but not insane.

500 is out of control insane unless they have a 4000sq ft. house, particularly given their water is apparently free.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 53 minutes!
Is a nurse:

quote:

Is two packs a day a lot? I've never been interested in smoking and have no clue.

quote:

I agree it's a really bad place to spend money. But I can't control him. I am concerned for his health between the 2 packs of smokes a day and the job which he says is so stressful he has to smoke that much. I'm scared he's going to end up with a heart attack.

But I really don't know how to get him to change his behavior. Sounds like a good question maybe for /relationships

quote:

I'd like him to quit, but reducing smoking probably won't make a difference. Going from two packs a day to two cigarettes a day might save us money, but it probably has a similar effect on his health.

quote:

Why am I getting down voted? I DO NOT agree with smoking. What do I do about it?

quote:

Honestly, most people making $31,200/yr don't have big mortgages and car payments.

They live with roommates, buy used cars, cheaper cell plans, and don't own 4 horses.

You haven't met my friends. Haha!

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
I know a nurse who constantly shares the THEY DON"T WANT YOU TO KNOW ABOUT THE CURE FOR CANCER meme

What I'm saying is I have no idea what standards are in place for nurses but they sure seem to pale in comparison to any other medical professional

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer

baquerd posted:

500 is out of control insane unless they have a 4000sq ft. house, particularly given their water is apparently free.

You're not wrong. Most of her life is out of control insane and she has no idea how close they are to the edge, even without the mortgage.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

baquerd posted:

If they have an electric car and use it a lot, that can be a meaningful bump as well. I think my car is about 10% of mine and I only drive it 50km/week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

If they have an electric car and use it a lot, that can be a meaningful bump as well. I think my car is about 10% of mine and I only drive it 50km/week.

Nope!

quote:

Vehicles: my Toyota econobox $5k, my Chevy pickup $6k, his Chevy suv $5k (we are working on selling his SUV)
Auto insurance $2,400/year between his policy and mine. Insurance company won't let us combine things until married. We both have excellent driving records.

3 cars for two people, brilliant.