Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

pepito sanchez posted:

I feel there's not enough chat and concern about his statements in Poland.

*gets asked about Russia's meddling*

"Obama bad, okay? he's so bad. wrongness Obama all the times, okay?"

How is he not already impeached? What's he going to do at G-20, suck his dick? Republicans saying, "there's nothing legally wrong with sucking a Russian dictator's penis, sorry snowflake libtards."

It sure feels like it's getting pretty close to that point.

It really feels like the country is doing its best to just continue to function in the face of such horrible leadership, and failing to address the disaster might be the best course of action.

Let the big boy play president for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

pepito sanchez posted:

At least I loving felt a very real disgust inside me while I watched him responding to the journalist in Poland. There's so much dismissal in his tone, so much disdain in his words. Every day, I'm a little more surprised at the tolerance of the U.S.A. people, putting up with this blatant, dementia-ridden authoritarian.

Serious question: what do you think the American people should do? Keep in mind there are already mass protests, and in the US there's no way to vote to dissolve the government or anything like that.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I went to see fireworks in an immigrant heavy town and the most American flaggy outfits were on people speaking Spanish.

God forbid people celebrate, Jesus. I can't imagine how depressing some of you people must be around Christmas.

Edit: most of the trumpy types all fled in terror when the rain and lightening started. The immigrants all stuck it out and cheered real loud. Groups of kids every color of the racial rainbow played tag together.

I also hate Christmas.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Source4Leko posted:

I also hate Christmas.

This is getting a little edgy for me, let's keep it PG okay.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I went to see fireworks in an immigrant heavy town and the most American flaggy outfits were on people speaking Spanish.

God forbid people celebrate, Jesus. I can't imagine how depressing some of you people must be around Christmas.

Edit: most of the trumpy types all fled in terror when the rain and lightening started. The immigrants all stuck it out and cheered real loud. Groups of kids every color of the racial rainbow played tag together.

I'm not happy that the holiday took such a downturn, it's just that it's hard to be patriotic when the news is on the brink of turning you into an alcoholic.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I'm not happy that the holiday took such a downturn, it's just that it's hard to be patriotic when the news is on the brink of turning you into an alcoholic.

Turn off your monitor. No really, if watching the news is leading you down a path of destructive chemical dependence, you're allowed to walk away. Just come back when it's time to vote.

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican

VikingofRock posted:

Serious question: what do you think the American people should do? Keep in mind there are already mass protests, and in the US there's no way to vote to dissolve the government or anything like that.

The best thing to do is keep the constitution as powerful as possible while everything else takes its course, and that's my very honest suggestion of what U.S.A. needs to do. Three branches of government are in firm control of one single party. You now have a weakened press, and a weakened freedom of speech. Don't think the international community hasn't also noticed the rise of Neo-Nazism in the country. It's all very real.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Groovelord Neato posted:

it's astonishing that the nyt would publish an op-ed arguing that the democrats need to "move to the center" to win. have they been in a coma for the past year. or two decades.

Papers like NYT routinely publish guest opeds from people far worse than Mark Penn.

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican

VikingofRock posted:

Secondary reply (sorry) that my country's entire government is modeled after U.S.A.'s, and we had a seriously bad dictatorship. I've said it before in this thread, but it's why this entire threat is more real for me.

Don't think it can't happen to U.S.A. for magical reasons.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Op-ed sections of newspapers have always been the den of the stupid and deranged.

The New York Times is a centrist newspaper, genuinely. If you believe Trump when he calls it out for being the liberal media, it's a symptom of his insanity, not a recommendation to the far left to read the NYT for Marxist opinion pieces. I like it, but you need to understand its biases to get the most out of it. It's worth remembering that you will *never* find a piece of media that can be taken at 100% face value, and if you think you have, you are a dupe.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

pepito sanchez posted:

The best thing to do is keep the constitution as powerful as possible while everything else takes its course, and that's my very honest suggestion of what U.S.A. needs to do. Three branches of government are in firm control of one single party. You now have a weakened press, and a weakened freedom of speech. Don't think the international community hasn't also noticed the rise of Neo-Nazism in the country. It's all very real.

Okay, but again, what do you want the people to do?

Do I "keep the constitution powerful" by giving it my energy like it's Goku charging up a Spirit Bomb?

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

WampaLord posted:

Do I "keep the constitution powerful" by giving it my energy like it's Goku charging up a Spirit Bomb?

Yes

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican

WampaLord posted:

sounds good dude. got a spirit bomb? how am i supposed to reply to this poo poo.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
https://twitter.com/taykuy/status/882998814549921793

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

pepito sanchez posted:

sounds good dude. got a spirit bomb? how am i supposed to reply to this poo poo.

I think this is the canon response:

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ BERNIE TAKE MY ENERGY ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

WampaLord posted:

Oh poo poo, so that's where all the "thoughts and prayers" are going to.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
MarK Penn is on some kind of media rehabilitation tour because he was blackballed from every campaign in 2010, 2012, 2014, and 2016.

His thesis seems to be:

- Mark Penn needs more money and attention
- Everyone said I was an idiot who sunk Hillary's campaign in 2008, but Hillary lost in 2016 without me! So, it couldn't be my fault!
- Democrats shut me out in 2010, 2014, and 2016 (also 2012, but I'm ignoring that one) and look how badly they lost!
- Remember how well I did in 1996?
- Please give Mark Penn more money and attention. My private sector job is over and I need more money.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Oh poo poo, so that's where all the "thoughts and prayers" are going to.

The MOAB that they dropped a couple months back was actually filled with Facebook posts

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Sinteres posted:

Turn off your monitor. No really, if watching the news is leading you down a path of destructive chemical dependence, you're allowed to walk away. Just come back when it's time to vote.

This. Anyone who finds themselves turning to drink or even sadposting in this thread chasing some momentary catharsis isn't doing themselves or their country any good. As long as you vote it's ok to check out of current events for a while. "But I need to stay informed to be a responsi-" no. Torturing yourself helps nothing. Even if there were something to be done, it won't get done if the informed are too spiritually defeated to make good decisions.

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jul 6, 2017

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Earnest question: what's the end goal of Trump being impeached? Like, I haven't heard much hay about Pence's opinions, and I worry that he's far more likely to make a....Grand Bargain with conservative democrats to pass vile stuff than Trump.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

But, but, how the gently caress does he gently caress that maxim up.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Neurolimal posted:

Earnest question: what's the end goal of Trump being impeached? Like, I haven't heard much hay about Pence's opinions, and I worry that he's far more likely to make a....Grand Bargain with conservative democrats to pass vile stuff than Trump.

I would like it on the record that we threw the gently caress out of office and didn't just let him finish up like he was a normal President.

I think even if Pence was in office, there would still be GOP infighting in Congress.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Field of Dreams economic theory

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Neurolimal posted:

There really aren't any blue dogs left except Manchin, and he's a fossil. There's more centrist Democrats but not many conservative ones anymore.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

That's...that's not how any of this works.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Neurolimal posted:

The idea that Trump's uniquely dangerous because of mental illness and ineptitude necessarily means that other bad alternatives would be better. Getting nuclear codes out of Trump's tiny hands and putting someone who'd at least do routine maintenance on things like keeping alliances and staffing important governmental positions would at least reduce tail risk and long-term damage, even if competence might hurt in other ways.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008

This is a beautiful tweet

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Reaganomics has little to do with economics it turns out

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Sinteres posted:

Come on, I'm a millennial, if you take away my nihilism I won't have anything left.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

It's beautiful. It doesn't even require dismantling the trickle-down aspect. You can just cut right to the part where creating supply has nothing to do with demand.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

ThePeavstenator posted:

It's beautiful. It doesn't even require dismantling the trickle-down aspect. You can just cut right to the part where creating supply has nothing to do with demand.

Trump has flat out said that the most limiting factor in industrial growth is not having enough electricity so it's possible these people have just never entered a factory before.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Skippy Granola posted:

Reaganomics has little to do with economics it turns out

More to do with religion, honestly.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

He thought they were talking about the other kind of coke

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Boon posted:

"We want God"

He's really hammering that home in a Roman Catholic country, as if the Pope didn't think Trump was an absolute piece of poo poo.

Poland is on aggregate not the biggest fan of Francis and this goes quadruple for PiS supporters. It's more "dubiousness" than "opposition", I gather, but Francis is

- Supportive of brown immigrants
- Not a fan of carbon emissions
- Soft on divorce and remarriage (for a Pope)
- and in general suspiciously non-traditionalist.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

https://mobile.twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/883008456386588672

Fine, just fine

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Seeing the stars and stripes just makes me depressed anymore
That's basically how I feel. If I see someone dressed up in American flag colors, or with some patriotic slogan bumper sticker, or saying anything about patriotism, I'm already braced for the next thing out of their mouth to be hateful. Same goes for overt shows of faith, if someone's wearing a t-shirt with a Bible verse or a church logo on it, or saying something about Christ or prayer, I'm ready for their next words to be something cruel.

If they're talking about Jesus and patriotism, I just assume they're also armed.

I don't want it to be this way, but after a few decades of watching the patterns in the people around me, it's sort of a pavlovian response.

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican

Sinteres posted:

The idea that Trump's uniquely dangerous because of mental illness and ineptitude necessarily means that other bad alternatives would be better. Getting nuclear codes out of Trump's tiny hands and putting someone who'd at least do routine maintenance on things like keeping alliances and staffing important governmental positions would at least reduce tail risk and long-term damage, even if competence might hurt in other ways.

This, and the distrust he's already been building among the international community. Germany and the U.K? Zero trust in this idiot. The rest of the world's already laughing.

The actual country's internal position is very important, but it goes beyond that. You have to keep U.S.A.'s position in the world in context, and its importance militarily and economically.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Has any administration ever had this much turnover in this short of a time period before?

Not totally relevant but important:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/minimum-wage-set-to-drop-in-missouri/ar-BBDP27V?OCID=ansmsnnews11

Missouri is dropping their minimum wage from $10 to $7.70.

MAGA!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

There Bias Two posted:

Has any administration ever had this much turnover in this short of a time period before?

William Henry Harrison.

• Locked thread