Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

The Walrus posted:

thanks, just picked this up. after resisting for a while I've now purchased three games with Oculus, this Robo Recall and the Climb. Sure hope they don't ever break Revive.

edit: oh and dirt 4 too I forgot about that. played Chronos a while back too. The Oculus stuff is all really good.

This might be heresy to some, but I actually enjoy The Climb better with a controller. Try it out if you haven't!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Audioshield is great fun. Love how the controller vibrates when u block the beats. Especially when i'm unaware that i'm blocking them.
Happened a few times while was focusing on one side and i accidentally blocked some on the other side.

iceaim
May 20, 2001

Bhodi posted:

Quell4d just isn't grabbing me. It makes me want to just load up doom3vr. I won't return it, but I probably won't play it much unless someone tells me it gets interesting at some point (i'm on level 4 or so).

I am surprised by this. Quell 4D grabbed me by the second level. As someone who loves playing the original Doom / Doom 2 and Blake Stone, etc this game was right up my alley due to its flat sprites in fully 3d environments. I love the shotgun in Quell 4D and feeling like a bad rear end. Some crazy poo poo does happen by level 8 that I won't spoil and the game is challenging. It's definitely one of my favs.

Also there's a Vive native version of gzDoom coming out that'll have motion control support which has me pumped. I'd love to play the original Doom as well as all of its mods in VR with proper motion controls just like in Quell 4D

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Apparently it's already in testing holy poo poo https://github.com/cmbruns/gz3doom/releases

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

metztli posted:

I just came back with 2 large leashes, and now have 2 retractable dog leashes at each spot where I previously had one - each set is one small leash and one heavy duty leash. The small one has a small clasp which holds the cable snug, the large one has a bigger clasp and so it lets there be a little play in the cabling, but it has exactly enough purchase to pull the cable all the way back up, eliminating the sag, when I back up. The sets are about 2-3 feet apart, and there's about 5-6 feet worth of slack cable between them to allow for a nice amount of give when I need it, but doesn't feel like it's pulling me back until I get right to the edge of my play area, which is perfect.

A quick test right now and I really had to work to get the cable tangled up, like, I had to intentionally do movements I would never do in order to cause it. I did squats, went prone even, spun around a few times, and it worked like I'd hoped. Success! Not bad for ~$40 in dog leashes and $5 worth of cup hooks and double sided tape. It isn't the most attractive thing in the world, but then again, it's in my home office/workshop so it doesn't need to be attractive, just out of the way. I also set up some hooks on the wall so I have my controllers and headset hanging there.

Care to share pictures? I've been considering doing something similar but hadn't thought of using dog leashes.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

iceaim posted:

I am surprised by this. Quell 4D grabbed me by the second level. As someone who loves playing the original Doom / Doom 2 and Blake Stone, etc this game was right up my alley due to its flat sprites in fully 3d environments. I love the shotgun in Quell 4D and feeling like a bad rear end. Some crazy poo poo does happen by level 8 that I won't spoil and the game is challenging. It's definitely one of my favs.

Also there's a Vive native version of gzDoom coming out that'll have motion control support which has me pumped. I'd love to play the original Doom as well as all of its mods in VR with proper motion controls just like in Quell 4D
Yeah, I think you got bit by the nostalgia bug. To me the levels are uninteresting and uninspired, you walk too slow, and the shotgun has a weird grip angle to it. For FPS ports I'd just rather play doom because at least it has modern level design.

It also plays a bit weird with the touch controllers, rotate is bound to the capacitave touch sense on one of the buttons and I couldn't figure out how the non-joystick locomotion worked at all.

iceaim
May 20, 2001

Bhodi posted:

Yeah, I think you got bit by the nostalgia bug. To me the levels are uninteresting and uninspired, you walk too slow, and the shotgun has a weird grip angle to it. For FPS ports I'd just rather play doom because at least it has modern level design.

It also plays a bit weird with the touch controllers, rotate is bound to the capacitave touch sense on one of the buttons and I couldn't figure out how the non-joystick locomotion worked at all.

Oh you're playing Quell 4D with front facing touch controllers? I'm on the Vive using the wands and it all feels pretty natural to me. I would definitely enjoy Quell 4D less if I had to do snap turning instead of full 360 degree turning. The devs clearly developed it for the Vive first and tacked on Rift support.

I still think Quell 4D is an amazing game though. And it's also a long game with that amazing old school challenge. The game took me over 10 hours to finish and was as challenging as old school shooters. Also note that the levels become increasingly more complex as you progress in the game.

I enjoyed Quell 4D so much that it inspired me to work on my own sprite based 90s era style VR shooter. I've also had several dreams related to Quell 4D including one dream where I was having a boss fight with a giant snail the size of a skyscraper that doesn't exist in the actual game.

Truga posted:

Apparently it's already in testing holy poo poo https://github.com/cmbruns/gz3doom/releases

That build doesn't have motion control support, but the dev confirmed he is adding motion control support and he'll be doing it in a way where it won't break existing mods like Brutal Doom and Chex Quest!

iceaim fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jul 5, 2017

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

Songbearer posted:

Getting used to Sairento's lack of polish again after playing Robo Recall took some adjusting to, but man I probably count that game as one of the best "actual" games available at the moment. By that I mean that it's quick to load, easily replayable, and solid fun that doesn't wear out its welcome or become gimmicky quickly.

I love its movement controls and how easy it is to launch across rooms, double jump and wallrun. It's hard not to feel like a badass with full locomotion at 100 movespeed, dual wielding plasma blades and hacking up a ton of mooks - it's just a solid power fantasy that really shines in VR because you're aiming the guns and flailing like a moron with the swords.

Again, lack of polish is the real bugbear with the game. Melee doesn't really have much impact if you're not using plasma blades, enemy animations can sometimes snap and clip in awkward ways and there's just a general budget feel to things. The devs are doing a good job of keeping it updated regularly so that's encouraging to see.

Is Raw Data worth playing as a solo gamer? I hear a lot of praise but it's largely from co-op people, something I'm not really into unless it's with friends. How does it compare to Sairento and Robo Recall?

I'm still running through my summer sale haul to pick out the refunds (trying to make sure I give everything at least a second chance, but holy poo poo these adventure games voiced by Game Dev And His Wife are testing my patience) and I gotta say the jumping/wallrunning/sliding of Sairento is just awesome. Not sure if any other game has it so it really stands out in a sea of wave shooters that are getting increasingly irrelevant in the face of Robo Recall. And the main thing Robo's missing is swords.

I uninstalled Aeon after a couple minutes, the Bullet Sorrow demo was unimpressive enough for me to not even try the full game, and...I really dunno about Raw Data. I will try to run out my 1:59 hours before refunding but I really dunno. Robo just shits all over it and the swording doesn't compare to Sairento at all when you can't jump/wallrun/slide while slicing baddies up. The big upcoming feature they're promoting is PVP but...I can only assume everyone will be teleporting? :goleft:

iceaim
May 20, 2001

mellowjournalism posted:

I uninstalled Aeon after a couple minutes, the Bullet Sorrow demo was unimpressive enough for me to not even try the full game, and...I really dunno about Raw Data. I will try to run out my 1:59 hours before refunding but I really dunno. Robo just shits all over it and the swording doesn't compare to Sairento at all when you can't jump/wallrun/slide while slicing baddies up. The big upcoming feature they're promoting is PVP but...I can only assume everyone will be teleporting? :goleft:

Raw Data is pretty drat polished and I don't personally agree that Robo Recall shits all over it. I think both games are amazing and Raw Data has the advantage of having both coop and pvp multiplayer while Robo Recall is a bit more polished due to Facebook money and has some very cool mechanics of its own.

Personally I advocate owning both games, but that's just me.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Truga posted:

There's been ways to play Doom in VR for like a year now? I don't know where the original version was but I've played it. It works but it feels awful, sprites in VR just DOES NOT WORK.

Quake on the other hand is pretty great with its low-poly environments. Game is a bit too fast, but if you play on easy it works out okay.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Zaphod42 posted:

There's been ways to play Doom in VR for like a year now? I don't know where the original version was but I've played it. It works but it feels awful, sprites in VR just DOES NOT WORK.

Quake on the other hand is pretty great with its low-poly environments. Game is a bit too fast, but if you play on easy it works out okay.

Yeah I remember exploring doom with gz3doom like back in the dk2 days even. It was really neat to see OG doom from that perspective, and explore classic mods I remembered like action doom 2, chex quest, batman, etc, but it really was more interesting for nostalgia than something I wanted to spend a lot of time in.

Maybe motion controls would change that but its just just... i dunno.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Tom Guycot posted:

Yeah I remember exploring doom with gz3doom like back in the dk2 days even. It was really neat to see OG doom from that perspective, and explore classic mods I remembered like action doom 2, chex quest, batman, etc, but it really was more interesting for nostalgia than something I wanted to spend a lot of time in.

Maybe motion controls would change that but its just just... i dunno.

I wouldn't be willing to do it unless somebody did like a voxel replacement for the sprites or something. It just feels so bad to be running around and constantly seeing all the enemies and things in the world slide and spin along the ground as you turn. Feels bad.

It is really really cool walking around in VR in old video game spaces that were never designed for VR, though.

Somebody ripped the bar from the game Catherine and the beach from Bioshock Infinite into Steam VR home and its pretty wild to just pop into a space like that. I would kill to have Bioshock 1 or 2's Rapture City available as a chatroom. Like holy poo poo.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

iceaim posted:

Raw Data is pretty drat polished and I don't personally agree that Robo Recall shits all over it. I think both games are amazing and Raw Data has the advantage of having both coop and pvp multiplayer while Robo Recall is a bit more polished due to Facebook money and has some very cool mechanics of its own.

Personally I advocate owning both games, but that's just me.

Right on, although I'll say in these dark ages of VR I don't really care about polish at all, I just care about what I can do in the engine. Robo sounds and looks nice but it's the creative comboing and the interaction with the enemies that keeps me coming back.

I just played some more Raw Data and deflecting bolts back with the sword was cool. What else is there? And do you know if they're going to add free locomotion? It looked like there was some in the PVP trailer.

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

The future is now:

http://pickle.nine.com.au/2017/07/04/15/49/japanese-virtual-reality-wedding-cartoon-bride-groom

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Oh god the video is absolute gold

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

I'm pretty sure I read this book.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Has anyone played the "Paranormal Activity" VR game? (http://store.steampowered.com/app/467660/Paranormal_Activity_The_Lost_Soul/)

My wife is a sucker for scary stuff and suspends disbelief in games more easily than anyone I've ever met (Gone Home scared the gently caress out of her for most of it, for perspective's sake). Is the game good? The reviews are positive, but I never can tell with Early Access stuff.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Kreiger!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfVCTGrOVXE

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Sundae posted:

Has anyone played the "Paranormal Activity" VR game? (http://store.steampowered.com/app/467660/Paranormal_Activity_The_Lost_Soul/)

My wife is a sucker for scary stuff and suspends disbelief in games more easily than anyone I've ever met (Gone Home scared the gently caress out of her for most of it, for perspective's sake). Is the game good? The reviews are positive, but I never can tell with Early Access stuff.

You should check out dreadhalls as well then. For only 10 bucks its a pretty spooky experience, and honestly too tense and stressful for me to almost play, it might be up her alley :P

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

the only thing I want to know: when the hell is the full Gorn getting released :black101:

edit: holy poo poo I didn't actually expect there to be a real answer here but looks like it's July 10th for early access, awesome.

AndrewP fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jul 6, 2017

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I bought the Vive Deluxe Audio Strap. I installed the Vive Deluxe Audio Strap. I used the Vive Deluxe Audio Strap.

Everyone else who owns a Vive should do the same.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

My vive is broken and Gabe gave me the finger. I don't like it. It feels bad.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

scrubs season six posted:

My vive is broken and Gabe gave me the finger. I don't like it. It feels bad.

At least if you buy the Vive Deluxe Audio Strap your broken Vive will feel comfortable on your head.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

SwissCM posted:

I bought the Vive Deluxe Audio Strap. I installed the Vive Deluxe Audio Strap. I used the Vive Deluxe Audio Strap.

Everyone else who owns a Vive should do the same.

Are they actually in stock anywhere?

metztli
Mar 19, 2006
Which lead to the obvious photoshop, making me suspect that their ad agencies or creative types must be aware of what goes on at SA

Kraven Moorhed posted:

Care to share pictures? I've been considering doing something similar but hadn't thought of using dog leashes.

These aren't by any means good pics, but they should show the general idea. I took them after the first successful test, and have since put a bit less slack in between the two sets, so it's a bit more tidy, and really. There are 2 leashes on either side of the rafter, with the forward set (away from my desk/monitors) about 2-3 feet away from the rear set, and I stand another 2-5 feet away from the forward set.

Edit: fixed images.

metztli fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Jul 6, 2017

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Can the headphones on the deluxe sterap be taken off?

I realize that seems counter to the purpose of the strap, but I don't always like to use headphones (so I can hear the kids, for example).

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Parker Lewis posted:

Are they actually in stock anywhere?

I saw some people in Europe talking about getting some recently, but as far as I'm aware no US storefronts have restocked.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Colonial Air Force posted:

I realize that seems counter to the purpose of the strap, but I don't always like to use headphones (so I can hear the kids, for example).

They're very adjustable, you can just lift them up out of the way.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Colonial Air Force posted:

As stated you can pop them up super easily, also if you had them muted even down it wouldn't block that much noise. Deluxe Audio Strap is awesome and highly suggested. It makes the Vive 1. Much more comfortable 2. Sound better 3. Increase the clarity/visuals due to holding the headset still instead of swinging around 4. Way easier to use for intense games like Soundboxing because the headphones don't fall out.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
After playing "Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes" with my friend via Skype, I decided to get it on Daydream with my Google survey bucks. Have yet to play it, but the menu seems solid. Is it the same as other VR versions? I can't imagine much in the way of differences.

iceaim
May 20, 2001

Zaphod42 posted:

It works but it feels awful, sprites in VR just DOES NOT WORK

Sprites in VR work fine. Case in point: Quell 4D. Also I tried that version of Doom too, and it looked fine to me aside from the expected billboarding.

The point of the experience is to feel like you're inside a 90s era shooter not for a ultra photo realistic experience.

Zaphod42 posted:

It just feels so bad to be running around and constantly seeing all the enemies and things in the world slide and spin along the ground as you turn. Feels bad.

That happens even on a monitor when you're using mouselook. You don't like it. I get it. But personally it doesn't bother me since I just want to feel like I am inside 90s era Doom rather than looking at it on a monitor. I'll happily play it from start to finish just like Quell 4D.

Also someone made 3D models of all the Doom monsters as a mod so you have that option, but personally I don't think they have the same charm and character of the sprites despite their shortcomings. Also it's kinda creepy having paper doll cut out monsters chase you in VR. I like it as much as you dislike it.

iceaim fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jul 6, 2017

metztli
Mar 19, 2006
Which lead to the obvious photoshop, making me suspect that their ad agencies or creative types must be aware of what goes on at SA
This morning I started teaching myself Unity + VR and made a (janky, but fun as hell) super-strength simulator in which you can throw poo poo at other poo poo, and tweak the velocity multiplier to set a strength level. I don't think I want to go back to non-virtual reality now...

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

iceaim posted:

Sprites in VR work fine. Case in point: Quell 4D. Also I tried that version of Doom too, and it looked fine to me aside from the expected billboarding.

The point of the experience is to feel like you're inside a 90s era shooter not for a ultra photo realistic experience.

But you're in VR. Maybe you like Quell but I loving hate it. Two minutes of watching corpses spin around on the ground made me never want to watch that game again.

Dude, talk about your loving strawman arguments, and a bullshit false dichotomy. The only options are retro 90s or ultra photo realistic? Really? What about games like Battlezone?

Battlezone is a retro styled shooter with non-photo-real graphics so it renders fast and smooth in VR. And there's no sprites.

Saying sprites alone transforms a VR experience into a 90s shooter is like saying more Doom clones should stick to only using right angles so they're more like Wolf3d. There's other ways to achieve a retro look, like palette and resolution, that don't have to make you use sprites. Like I just suggested, using voxel model approximations for the sprites would give them the exact same aesthetic but avoid the "turning around as you do" issue.

iceaim posted:

That happens even on a monitor when you're using mouselook.

Of course it does, but you're on a monitor! That's kinda different?

VR being completely different from normal gaming is kinda why we have this thread?

Things like Quake 3 work on monitors but don't work in VR because of the extreme speed. Games have to be adapted in multiple ways, from design to interface. How do you not understand this?

iceaim posted:

Also someone made 3D models of all the Doom monsters as a mod so you have that option

That's what I was referring to, yes. :v:

If you've Stockholm syndrome'd yourself into loving the spinny sprites that's cool but I hate them and others in the thread have said so too.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jul 6, 2017

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
As someone who didn't grow up playing Doom I kinda find spinning sprites charming.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
It's me, I'm the spinning sprite that ruins VR

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

PerrineClostermann posted:

As someone who didn't grow up playing Doom I kinda find spinning sprites charming.

Sorry friend you didn't write nearly enough words.

peter gabriel posted:

It's me, I'm the spinning sprite that ruins VR

Butt kickin' and sprites spinnin'

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.
Yikes, just go with "well I don't like it", and move on.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
zaphod reel it in buddy

I played a bunch of the climb last night. It's okay, I guess, but the physics seem pretty lame compared to Climby or TTT (seems more like a 'snap to position' physics system rather than the free flinging system of those games) and god drat is the performance terrible. I'm on a 1080 and even on lowest settings it's pretty low FPS.

If it was on steam I'd probably return it.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
this is *such* a good idea for a game.

https://uploadvr.com/just-time-incorporated-like-superhot-vr-puzzle-games/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

KakerMix posted:

Butt kickin' and sprites spinnin'