Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Lain Iwakura posted:

If you work at Sears or Nortel or stelco, you don't have a pension anymore!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Risky Bisquick posted:

In this thread full of academics and students, I would argue it's pretty high

Uh. A lot of posters in this thread almost certainly make well above the broader Canadian median income. I see you all posting in the BFC thread.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
I make six digits and I have a pension. I am definitely ahead of the curve especially for my age demographic.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Rip Peter Julian

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

sorry, yes, I'm stupid

(In my meagre defense, I haven't done it in 5 years, and even then it was an accountant dealing with it all.)

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
This thread is dominated by posters making well above the median income in this country to the point where when someone like me talks about living on the median income the responses are basically 'holy gently caress how do you make so little' and 'jesus christ you need to find a better job'.

This thread is the out of touch overprivilidged left wing.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Jordan7hm posted:

Uh. A lot of posters in this thread almost certainly make well above the broader Canadian median income. I see you all posting in the BFC thread.

I mean the guys in tech or whatever make 80+, but the bicycle enthusiasts, ndp party hacks, renters? I'm not convinced

EvilJoven posted:

This thread is dominated by posters making well above the median income in this country to the point where when someone like me talks about living on the median income the responses are basically 'holy gently caress how do you make so little' and 'jesus christ you need to find a better job'.

This is a pretty fair analysis

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

CLAM DOWN posted:

Rip Peter Julian

He was never going to be leader.

EvilJoven posted:

Says the man from Winnipeg who doesn't know how un-privileged and out of touch they are.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
what the gently caress are you retards butt hurt about can someone please summarize in 140 characters

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

DariusLikewise posted:

I wish the Government would release some actual hard numbers on what salary ranges take advantage of their full TFSA and RRSP space per year because I would bet it's mainly 80k+ range which is clearly not helping working/lower class people. Without that kind of data we are just arguing scenarios.

Here, we can guess that a very small percentage of people are maxing their RRSP/TFSAs and most that do are probably in the high income range. gently caress, you think they'd give me a commendation for accidentally overcontributing instead of a penalty, canadians are the worst.

EvilJoven posted:

overprivilidged

Even with the middle class spelling

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

EvilJoven posted:

If you leave the Paris of the Prairies then you too, can be overprivilidged

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Subjunctive posted:

(In my meagre defense, I haven't done it in 5 years, and even then it was an accountant dealing with it all.)

what the gently caress is wrong with you it's free money

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The Overton window of this thread has shifted right a fair bit since Helsing and Vyelkin stoped posting as much.

We're not the overprivileged left any more, we're prime Liberal voters.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Femtosecond posted:

2500 is so low that Canadians with much lower salaries are more easily able to max it out, but then there's no reward for people to go out of their way to save if they want to make the effort. If the goal of these programs is to encourage Canadians to save for retirement, it would make more sense if typical Canadians with typical income could easily contribute much of the total possible, but there's extra room to incentivize and reward Canadians that put the effort into saving.

Rich Canadians can obviously more easily max out a 5k TFSA, but if this is causing issues to the treasury, then actually just work to solve that problem. There are other ways to raise revenue from rich Canadians to fix those sort of funding issues.

Here's your problem, you're assuming that the goal of the program is to incentivize Canadians to save for retirement, rather than the goal of the program being a way for rich people to avoid paying taxes.

Once you realize that, like most tax policy enacted by the Conservative Party of Canada, the TFSA was primarily intended, introduced, and structured as a way to give rich people additional ways to avoid paying tax to the state, you become much more open to drastically reducing the cap or eliminating the TFSA altogether.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

namaste faggots posted:

what the gently caress is wrong with you it's free money

not if you're not filing Canadian taxes it's not

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

Jordan7hm posted:

80k is still closer to poor than rich. Why do we have such low expectations.

Uh what? That's twice what I make and I can get by okay with a little left over. Think in terms of marginal utility, not raw numbers.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Skippy Granola posted:

Uh what? That's twice what I make and I can get by okay with a little left over. Think in terms of marginal utility, not raw numbers.

What happens if you lose your job and can't work anymore.

To me rich means that doesn't significantly impact your quality of life. For the rest of us, we're one or two streaks of bad luck away from being poor.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Jordan7hm posted:

The Overton window of this thread has shifted right a fair bit since Helsing and Vyelkin stoped posting as much.

We're not the overprivileged left any more, we're prime Liberal voters.

You're just figuring this out now? I'd be willing to bet that this thread would start boosting for the CPC if the choice were that or voting for a left wing party that actually had the stones to actually implement left wing policies that would better the lives of the floundering lower classes in this country.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
If you are living with a SO in household and combined you make 80k/year you are in the top 20% for Canadian Income lol you loving idiots

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Is this the part where the thread turns into BFC and we start calling each other out of the financial consequences of housing decisions?

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

vyelkin posted:

Here's your problem, you're assuming that the goal of the program is to incentivize Canadians to save for retirement, rather than the goal of the program being a way for rich people to avoid paying taxes.

Yeah there's no way in hell that most people are using the TFSA for retirement savings (except for weirdos like me who's living with his parents while making more than the median) considering the vast, vast majority of advertising I see on TFSA's is as an otherwise regular savings account that just happens to be tax-free.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

DariusLikewise posted:

If you are living with a SO in household and combined you make 80k/year you are in the top 20% for Canadian Income lol you loving idiots

A) that's not true
B) even if it were true it would be poo poo and should make you incredibly mad.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

Jordan7hm posted:

What happens if you lose your job and can't work anymore.

To me rich means that doesn't significantly impact your quality of life. For the rest of us, we're one or two streaks of bad luck away from being poor.

I'll self-immolate on the steps of parliament as protest against the liberals just like I always dreamed.

I don't know, what's your point? If you make 80k and are pissed about a smaller TFSA limit then you have my deepest sympathy

:jerkbag:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Jordan7hm posted:

A) that's not true

From what I can find (an OECD thing) it's true. What is the real number?

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

DariusLikewise posted:

70-100K is median as of 2014, depending on where you live.

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/tables-tableaux/sum-som/l01/cst01/famil107a-eng.htm
http://www.statcan.gc.ca/tables-tableaux/sum-som/l01/cst01/famil108a-eng.htm

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Jordan7hm posted:

A) that's not true

http://business.financialpost.com/p...d8-0316a70d1738

$75,000 is 27th percentile in 2013

http://www.macleans.ca/economy/economicanalysis/rank-your-income-where-do-you-stand-compared-to-the-rest-of-canada/

$75,000 is top 14.05% in 2009

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/daily-quotidien/170526/dq170526a-eng.htm

Median income in 2015 for all people was $33,100

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

That doesn't count single people, for whom the numbers are much less encouraging.

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/tables-tableaux/sum-som/l01/cst01/famil107d-eng.htm

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

"I'm not that rich you guys! I still eat KD and worry about gas prices and max out my RRSP contri- ha ha whoops!'

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
"WHY ISN'T THIS COUNTRY SAVING FOR RETIREMENT AND GOING IN TO SO MUCH DEBT HOW loving STUPID IS EVERYONE WHY AREN'T THEY DONATING TO THE NDP AND THE ARTS AND MAXING OUT THEIR RRSP AND THEIR TFSA WHY ARE THEY NOT JUST GOING BACK TO SCHOOL AND GETTING A STEM DEGREE WHY DONT THEY WANT TO BE A WOKE PROGRESSIVE WHY IS EVERYONE SO DUMB!?!?!" :supaburn:

*makes four times the median income*

*Is the average CanPol poster*

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Remember when you guys went all :psyduck: when I said I make less than 60K a year?

LOL.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
*buys a house*

:smugdog:

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

namaste faggots posted:

*buys a house*

:smugdog:

Yeah I hope Chinese expats price you out of the secondary residence market you bourgeois prick

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

EvilJoven posted:

Remember when you guys went all :psyduck: when I said I make less than 60K a year?

LOL.

poo poo I make way less than that. Household is def below 80k too.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Skippy Granola posted:

Yeah I hope Chinese expats price you out of the secondary residence market you bourgeois prick

CI rents just like the poors do :ssh:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

That doesn't count single people, for whom the numbers are much less encouraging.

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/tables-tableaux/sum-som/l01/cst01/famil107d-eng.htm

If you want some really depressing numbers. https://www.alberta.ca/min-wage-earners.aspx

Of the people in alberta making less than $15 an hour, 41,600 are over 55, 50,200 have been at their job more than 5 years, 46,900 have a university degree. 21,000 are married single earner homes with children.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

EvilJoven posted:

LOL.

Really the true currency is happiness.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

JawKnee posted:

CI rents just like the poors do :ssh:

I know, I was just playing along with the fun game of millennial entitlement while I eat this lunch of probably expired no-name peanut butter

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

EvilJoven posted:

LOL.

Yeah. You also told us how you're exploited for your pickup truck.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Skippy Granola posted:

I know, I was just playing along with the fun game of millennial entitlement while I eat this lunch of probably expired no-name peanut butter

uh excuse me I have a cell phone and a refrigerator and the freedom to join the gig economy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
[b]BUNNIES ARE CUTE BUT DEADLY/b]
gently caress, I think I make the least of all the thread posters right now.....

Even if I don't post that much.