Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
the ana sleeps bastion. done

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
So I occasionally dive into low ranked chats to give out decent advice and help people out, generally because I like helping people do better and a ton of the people i've helped have shot up in rank, anywhere from +100 points in the short term to +1000 points on the long term. It's really rewarding.

However, sometimes, you get conversations. You get conversations that make you want to cry. Here is one i've had today. P is pubbie, D is me.

P - "Symmetra is really overpowered, her beam when charged up kills me in under 2 seconds"
D - "She has to get really close to you to do that, you play DPS characters (cree), you need to dome her before she gets to you."
P - "Yeah but I can't do that if she has a shield, she just runs behind it and murders me"
D - "Ok run through the shield and flashbang her, then fan the hammer, she should die and if not follow it up with a punch".
P - "I can't always hit her because shes running around and jumping like crazy".
D - "Ok, in which case, if she's routinely murdering your team and your aim isn't good, pick Winston. Even without his shield he can jump on her and kill her before her gun ramps up and if you're dying as Cree you're not doing work anyway, so you lose nothing by trying it out"
P - "Yeah but if winston had 200hp and symmetra has 200hp and they're both left clicking on eachother symmetra does more damage so she's OP

:psyduck:

Jesus christ, some of these people straight up refuse to listen to any advice, to the point where they'll make up losing scenarios to try and what, not get better?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I felt insanely good when I bullied Symetra away from me by just running at her with the Reapster shotguns with the obvious intent of winning the fight. Feels good to no longer fear the laserchainsaw and be a little better at tracking and clicking heads along with the little self-heal buff.

The Blue Caboose
May 20, 2007

jeff gerstmann hates fun

Kokoro Wish posted:

First person shooters have always been lovely as e-sports. Almost all of them never take into account that the viewer needs to be entertained, and to do that they need to see the game from not a first person angle.

Imagine if the only way you could watch football was through the helmet cams of the players, and you had to rely on the casters switching between them.

I think CSGO is pretty much fine as an e-sport. The observers are really good, and worst comes to worst CS has a very robust demo system so you can download a demo and control perspectives yourself. The minimap helps a lot with getting an overall idea of location and strategy that one might get in an overhead view.

Saying that watching an FPS from mostly player view is like watching a football game from helmet cams is a bad comparison. Helmet mounted cameras suck, and will give you motion sickness. Additionally, seeing the skill displayed by football players is not really dependent on seeing the first person view, whereas seeing the game from the FPS perspective in a game like CSGO shows the mechanical aim and talent of top level players in a way that seeing a third person view doesn't.

CSGO is a game that lends itself well to this sort of style though. Think of it more like baseball than football. For the most part, we want to see a baseball game from either the pitcher or the hitter's perspective. In a similar sense, CSGO observers know who the playmakers are on a respective team-- watch a G2 game and see how much time the camera spends on KennyS. When the teams are stacking up for an engagement the observer can tell, and knows which players to be watching to get a good perspective on the action. The game unfolds more predictably than Overwatch, and the game is also primarily on a 2d plane, making motion less jarring and easier to follow-- It's really really hard to predict where a Genji is going to be in 5 seconds.

Counterstrike also has the advantage of 10+ years of professional play. Observers and casters have essentially grown up with the game. One of the most veteran pros on the scene right now is 27-year old GeT_RiGhT, who has been playing since the game released when he was 9 years old and has been on pro teams for a little more than 10 years. These professionals have been living and breathing the game, and their incredible familiarity leads to much more detailed commentary and much better observation.

tl;dr: CSGO is a better esport to watch than Overwatch because:

-- it's slower and easier to comprehend the strategy
-- CSGO has better spectator tools
-- CS has been around for long enough for people to develop a deeper understanding.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Hanzo just needs an explosive arrow that works like a stronger pharah rocket instead of the scatter arrow. It'd be more consistent and less RNG. Maybe 150 damage on a direct hit or something. Lower the cooldown a couple of seconds from the scatter arrow to make up for the loss of shield dps.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

IDK why I am not a Fun Scientist but Scatter Arrow is the worst feeling OHK to recieve in the game. Boopcio or hook envirokills? Should have been more situationally aware. Rein charge? Pretty telegraphed. Widow headclick? Serpentine and use cover liberally. Simpru Geometry? I rounded a corner he clicked a button and now I am looking at a respawn timer.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

What Hanzo really needs is a boxing glove arrow. Have it boop on a direct hit.

"I've got you in m-OOOPH!"

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Does anyone else find themselves duelling against the enemy Mercy when playing Mercy? It seems like when you both end up face to face suddenly the instinctive reaction is for both of you to pull your blasters and go for it, optimal play be damned.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

IDK why I am not a Fun Scientist but Scatter Arrow is the worst feeling OHK to recieve in the game. Boopcio or hook envirokills? Should have been more situationally aware. Rein charge? Pretty telegraphed. Widow headclick? Serpentine and use cover liberally. Simpru Geometry? I rounded a corner he clicked a button and now I am looking at a respawn timer.
The worst ones are when he's clearly aiming for another person and I get tagged by a random bounce anyhow. Or blink away from the shot and oops, no, sorry.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

scatter arrow is worse than any other ohko because it feels so random. sometimes it kills you, sometimes it doesn't. it's hard to say whose fault it is when it happens. did I gently caress up? did the hanzo just aim well? or was the geometry hosed up where he shot? also it going around a corner sucks and is way worse than the old hook nabbing you since at least someone can still save you from that. why would a zarya bubble you or a d.va keep up her matrix after you're in what should be a safe spot?

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

dogstile posted:

Jesus christ, some of these people straight up refuse to listen to any advice, to the point where they'll make up losing scenarios to try and what, not get better?
Sometimes it is easier to create an elaborate and/or unlikely scenario than accept the possibility that you are wrong and/or bad.

Some of the leaps of logic people make are pretty great though and are a consistent source of entertainment.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

dogstile posted:

So I occasionally dive into low ranked chats to give out decent advice and help people out, generally because I like helping people do better and a ton of the people i've helped have shot up in rank, anywhere from +100 points in the short term to +1000 points on the long term. It's really rewarding.

However, sometimes, you get conversations. You get conversations that make you want to cry. Here is one i've had today. P is pubbie, D is me.

P - "Symmetra is really overpowered, her beam when charged up kills me in under 2 seconds"
D - "She has to get really close to you to do that, you play DPS characters (cree), you need to dome her before she gets to you."
P - "Yeah but I can't do that if she has a shield, she just runs behind it and murders me"
D - "Ok run through the shield and flashbang her, then fan the hammer, she should die and if not follow it up with a punch".
P - "I can't always hit her because shes running around and jumping like crazy".
D - "Ok, in which case, if she's routinely murdering your team and your aim isn't good, pick Winston. Even without his shield he can jump on her and kill her before her gun ramps up and if you're dying as Cree you're not doing work anyway, so you lose nothing by trying it out"
P - "Yeah but if winston had 200hp and symmetra has 200hp and they're both left clicking on eachother symmetra does more damage so she's OP

:psyduck:

It's a common stereotype among gamers to put DPS statistics above everything in a game, regardless of the game.

I guess they're just proud because it involves math?

The Blue Caboose
May 20, 2007

jeff gerstmann hates fun

Manatee Cannon posted:

scatter arrow is worse than any other ohko because it feels so random. sometimes it kills you, sometimes it doesn't. it's hard to say whose fault it is when it happens. did I gently caress up? did the hanzo just aim well? or was the geometry hosed up where he shot? also it going around a corner sucks and is way worse than the old hook nabbing you since at least someone can still save you from that. why would a zarya bubble you or a d.va keep up her matrix after you're in what should be a safe spot?

Scattering around a corner is legitimately a skillshot-- and the average bounce off the ground scatter is more of a skillshot than you would expect. I think scatter is kind of bullshit, but the size of the target to hit for a scatter kill is somewhat smaller than you would expect, especially at very close range.

Scatter is also a positional thing. Get scattered? Try and be aware of where Hanzo is and position on even ground at distance or at higher ground anywhere. If you are even a little above Hanzo on the y axis he cannot use the scatter on you reliably. If you're airborne, Hanzo cannot reliably hit you with scatter. Hanzo is a total terror if he's on high ground, but while he can reach high ground reliably, many many characters can force him off of high ground with relative ease-- Pharah, Widow, Genji, Winston, D.va, all 5 of which can be very effective in the current meta.

Scatter is a pretty limited ability, but it's very very strong in it's sphere of influence. A good Hanzo knows that he thrives at middle range on a level or a height advantage (on the catwalks on Gibraltar B, for instance). If Hanzo is giving you fits, you need to counterplay him, just like any other character in the game. If theres a strong widow in the game you're staying away from long exposed sightlines and moving laterally. If a Pharah is pooping on you you're watching the skies and trying to stay near cover. If Hanzo is running rampant then you should be looking for small height advantages and forcing him into very short range or very long range engagements.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

The Blue Caboose posted:

forcing him into very short range or very long range engagements.

*gets point blank headshot or scatter arrowed*

*then gets headshot from a million miles away by a hanzo who's a pixel in the distance*

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Yep Doomfist is coming soon.

https://twitter.com/PlayOverwatch/status/883009492782260225

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

He's on PTR

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Seagull's messing with him on stream right now, testing abilities and such.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

not a moment too soon imo

so is his va terry crews or not

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Manatee Cannon posted:

not a moment too soon imo

so is his va terry crews or not
doesn't seem like it

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Nihilarian posted:

doesn't seem like it

bummer

but he seems really loving cool from seagull's stream

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uKkAyLPJe0

This too, I'll transcribe in a bit

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Whoah. Maybe I'll skip tabletop night and install PTR.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Sounds like Reaper + Reinhardt

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Doomfist

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

All that mobility while doing damage with everything at the same time looks really cool.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
someone post his good skins tia

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Goes right through sheilds

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

MMF Freeway posted:

someone post his good skins tia

He has no cosmetics yet.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

wit posted:

Hog's hook will be back in yet another slightly tweaked way that still annoys shitloads of people. It needs to feel good to use, be an oh gently caress moment when you see it but also make for a bad time if mistimed if its has to have instakill potential. Rein's charge is the best attack like that. Hog had nothing to lose by using his hook other than having his hook on cooldown for a while if he missed. Now he has nothing to gain other than environmentals if used creatively. gently caress it, I say give him a heavy knockback to his melee so he can punt anyone in his face around. That'd make him useful and give his hook something cool to combo with again. I would never not play that guy.

Nevermind, have Doomfist now.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The folks who were cranky that the meta was too dive-y are about to get even crankier.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Supercar Gautier posted:

The folks who were cranky that the meta was too dive-y are about to get even crankier.

hahahahaha is he dive orientated

this really shows how loving slow blizzard's dev process reacts to changes in how people play

The Blue Caboose
May 20, 2007

jeff gerstmann hates fun

Slime posted:

*gets point blank headshot or scatter arrowed*

*then gets headshot from a million miles away by a hanzo who's a pixel in the distance*

Every character that wants to be in close combat is favored against Hanzo in a knife fight, save possibly tracer, but a good tracer should still be favored. Hanzo can land long range picks, but if you're moving at all those should be relegated to literal accidents. Don't casually walk through the choke, pay attention to where the sonic is, and Hanzo is basically harmless at long range.

If a Hanzo is consistently killing you at point blank range or at long range then he is better than you and your movement is garbage, which is not a balance problem.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Slime posted:

this really shows how loving slow blizzard's dev process reacts to changes in how people play
Yeah, Jeff straight up describes him as a hero meant for diving.

He's the solution to the three tank meta. Lol.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

If we don't get a Hellboy-esque skin for Haloween 2017 I am done with this game.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Looks like we finally found the character who's going to dethrone Hanzo, formerly known as "slam-pick king."

Doomfist could do zero damage and people will still play him because he looks like so much fun, especially compared to the rest of the cast.

Squinty
Aug 12, 2007

Slime posted:

I mean he's probably been in dev for at least a year.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

There's a 6v6 Doomfist Elimination mode on the PTR arcade and it is a goddamned laugh riot. If that doesn't come to live, I'm gonna be furious.

phthalocyanine
May 19, 2013

Supercar Gautier posted:

CAN CONFIRM

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Ravenfood posted:

Sounds like Reaper + Reinhardt
Ignore this, once I saw Seagull's stream he's far, far more mobile than that. He looks fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU
The charge punch has a knockback and pierces barriers, so that seems like a direct counter to reinhardt.