Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Independence Day doesn't get nearly enough credit for the slow building of dread over the first hour of the film

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

ID4 is fun but a suspense film, no

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Leperflesh posted:

ID4 is fun but a suspense film, no

Dread is not exclusive to suspense films bitch

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Dread was a good film

but lol if you felt dread at any time while watching ID4

you are bad at emotions

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.
Independence Day is cool and good and has peak hotness Vivica Fox

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Universal Soldier and ID4 bitch

Mel confirmed Good Opinions

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

Dread was a good film

but lol if you felt dread at any time while watching ID4

you are bad at emotions

Look mother fucker emotions are something you feel not summarize from google so I am not surprised you have no idea how they work FUCKER

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Leperfish rear end mother fucker incapable of feeling any sense of foreboding from a giant goddamn spaceship emerging out of fire in the sky over New York because he is too busy searching Wikipedia for articles about the physics of atmospheric re-entry so he can contradict the science of the scene

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Like a good M Night Shamalan movie THIS THREAD HAD A TWIST

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
YOU DID NOT JUST SHOOT THAT GREEN poo poo AT ME

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

lol mel

I'm sorry for mocking your feelings

here, let's revisit this dramatic, tense moment from this serious film
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfPWpEKhgfk

we can appreciate the pathos of this scene and honestly it's a crime the academy overlooked will smith's performance, amirite

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Oh man I am gonna rewatch ID4 now

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
yea will smith's ship was named rosebud

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

If you don't feel the urge to kill space communists after hearing that speech, then you ain't American.

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP
ID4 is good but it is nothing compared to Con Air.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Mel Mudkiper posted:

You know whatever marketing guy came up with "Take the World by Storm" got at least a blow job coupon or something

The guys who write copy for whatever vendor WB used on this would have to pay for a blow job.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Con Air is one of the greatest movies of all time.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Also did you mean DREDD, Leper?

LETS KICK THE TIRES
AND
LIGHT THE FIRES BIG DADDY

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

lol mel

I'm sorry for mocking your feelings

here, let's revisit this dramatic, tense moment from this serious film
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfPWpEKhgfk

we can appreciate the pathos of this scene and honestly it's a crime the academy overlooked will smith's performance, amirite

I bet you nudged the person beside you while watching the end of Independence Day and were like "actually that much mass dropping from the sky would cause a catastrophic impact that would cause extinction level atmospheric conditions"

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I might not say dread, but there was certainly a sense of panic in the first act. From discovering a mysterious signal in the satellites to Jeff Goldblum figuring out it was a timer to then him trying to convey that info at the last minute with varying degrees of success definitely conveyed a sense of panic very well. They even did the shot of the LA saucer perfectly, with the party people staring straight up into the death ray with joy as it powers up.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Con Air or The Rock

Sophies Choice

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Amy Pole Her posted:

Also did you mean DREDD, Leper?

LETS KICK THE TIRES
AND
LIGHT THE FIRES BIG DADDY

Yeah I meant Dredd, my mistake, obv I should have googled first to verify the spelling.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I bet you nudged the person beside you while watching the end of Independence Day and were like "actually that much mass dropping from the sky would cause a catastrophic impact that would cause extinction level atmospheric conditions"

you know me so well!

Here let's feel the intense atmosphere of this climatic scene again, where the boys from earth are taking out the aliens with the full knowledge that they're probably gonna die, and still somehow staying cheerful about it because that's just the kind of stand-up amazing true Americans they really are, the nerd scientist and the fighter jock working side by side to defeat the evil alien menace:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxS0kiUX6p0

I'm tearing up again just thinking about it

oh my god and then they're loose and MAYBE THEY'll MAKE IT OUT AFTER ALLllllll who saw that TWIST coming because I sure didn't!!!

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Con Air or The Rock

Sophies Choice

Con Air > Air Force One > The Rock

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
I honestly wasn't sure if you meant Dredd or some French movie I had never heard of

I'm impressed you liked Dredd. Wouldn't have guessed.

Did you see Raid?

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
The Rock duh

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP

Its Rinaldo posted:

The Rock duh

GET OFF MY PLANE

Con Air > Air Force One > The Rock > Face/Off

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Amy Pole Her posted:

I honestly wasn't sure if you meant Dredd or some French movie I had never heard of

I'm impressed you liked Dredd. Wouldn't have guessed.

Did you see Raid?

I don't think I've seen Raid, no. I'm not sure which movie you mean though, IMDB is not helping.

Yeah dude the actor who played Dredd is the guy who plays Bones on the new star treks and it's kind of a revelation. Super violent of course, but a really underrated movie, not to mention that it really kind of captures the character from the old comic books. The old Judge Dredd movie with sly stallone is schlock, enjoyable for certain aspects but kind of campy and dumb. Dredd is so much better.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

Here let's feel the intense atmosphere of this climatic scene again, where the boys from earth are taking out the aliens with the full knowledge that they're probably gonna die, and still somehow staying cheerful about it because that's just the kind of stand-up amazing true Americans they really are, the nerd scientist and the fighter jock working side by side to defeat the evil alien menace:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxS0kiUX6p0

I'm tearing up again just thinking about it

oh my god and then they're loose and MAYBE THEY'll MAKE IT OUT AFTER ALLllllll who saw that TWIST coming because I sure didn't!!!

See you're trying to be snarky but this scene owns and is good and hell yeah pumped as gently caress watching

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Are you talking about The Raid with gratuitous hammer karate scene?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

kiimo posted:

Are you talking about The Raid with gratuitous hammer karate scene?

No that's Old Boy.

Although the Raid might also have Hammer Karate, hard to keep track since like everything is used to kill everyone in that movie

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
MERCENARIES. GET. PAID!!!

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
I COULDA BEEN AT A BARBECUE

I've watched ID4 literally every fourth of July for the last decade or so. Also I've cranked up the volume to President Whitworth's speech every time.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Independence Day tries too hard.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHAbnSyPVLI

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
If you wanna see a try too hard ID4 might I suggest ID8, aka resurgence

Holy poo poo

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Spoeank posted:

I COULDA BEEN AT A BARBECUE

I've watched ID4 literally every fourth of July for the last decade or so. Also I've cranked up the volume to President Whitworth's speech every time.

When I first got a 4k TV and 4k blu ray I saw there was a 4k HD Blu Ray version of Independence Day and life was good

Like, I will film snob all of your asses back to grade school in a second but if you don't get loving pumped about Independence Day gently caress right off

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Spoeank posted:

If you wanna see a try too hard ID4 might I suggest ID8, aka resurgence

Holy poo poo

Resurgence was so bad I was watching it on a plane and started hoping we would crash

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
I'm craving a Me Day, or a man's spa day:

- Sleeping in til about 10
- Brewing some coffee and drinking it relaxed
- 3 hour gym session with no scramble to do X chore or errand after
- Lounge in the pool for as long as I want
- Come back into the apartment, blast the A/C, shut every blind and curtain (I call this "cave mode")
- Fire up some loud
- Order $80-100 of sashimi
- Enjoy some martial arts movies
- Play Civ 5 until 3 AM

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

John Wick 2 and the Raid 2 have established deaf people make awesome assassins

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Leperflesh posted:

I don't think I've seen Raid, no. I'm not sure which movie you mean though, IMDB is not helping.

Yeah dude the actor who played Dredd is the guy who plays Bones on the new star treks and it's kind of a revelation. Super violent of course, but a really underrated movie, not to mention that it really kind of captures the character from the old comic books. The old Judge Dredd movie with sly stallone is schlock, enjoyable for certain aspects but kind of campy and dumb. Dredd is so much better.

Sorry - The Raid.

Similar story to Dredd (many actually complain it kinda ripped it off) but it's a fantastic martial arts action movie.

• Locked thread