Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Phantasium posted:

I'm 3 hours in and I'm sure it gets worse. The encounter rate is already pretty atrocious and I knew about Samson from the old days so his bungling wasn't a surprise. I've also seen worse as to making a main character worthless through weird status effects now thanks to Black Sigil so it's not bothering me that much, funnily enough.

I think Beyond the Beyond is a decent game dragged down by some really bad decisions. The encounter rate is at the top of that list, but you can mitigate it with that potion you can buy, I think. Samson's thing is annoying if the RNG is against you, but that resolves later too. I could never recommend it to anyone given how archaic it is in comparison to even some SNES RPGs, but it's not a terrible time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wendell
May 11, 2003

It is not a decent game, it is a terrible time.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Lest we forget

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5P4EbK2pXAw

Beyond the Beyond is bad, but I still have a fond attachment to it because it was the first non-NES RPG I played. I'm so sad I no longer own my copy.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I'm curious what this Samson thing is you're all referring to.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

GrandpaPants posted:

I'm curious what this Samson thing is you're all referring to.

Samson, one of your party members early on, is clearly supposed to be this tanky monster and referred to as the hero of his town, and the one fight you can use him in he's doing like 4 times the damage the rest of your team can do in a turn, and then immediately afterwards he gets plot-cursed so that his stats are cut in like half, and he can't do anything on half his turns, and then even when he does he'll sometimes take damage after he acts.

They're already telling me in-game about getting him cured but I imagine this will be an ordeal.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

he's like that for 90% of the game and you cant swap him out of your party

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I'm glad I played Suikoden 1 as my first PS1 RPG, where the plot curse is that you get the Soul Eater Rune.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Endorph posted:

he's like that for 90% of the game and you cant swap him out of your party

ha ha ha

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

You know how many RPGs have a badass brawler type character who uses no magic and doesn't need it because of how strong they are? Beyond the Beyond gives you a badass party member who gets hit by a cursed shawl ten seconds after he joins you. His level is reset to 1, so he's weaker than even your healer, and you can't remove the curse until the plot lets you. Being cursed in battle means you randomly lose your turn, or can take damage after attacking (which scales with your attack too, so landing a critical can be lethal). You can't take him out of your party, and you can't heal the curse for the first third of the game.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

I think Samson was cursed by an evil scarf too. Like, the lamest thing to be cursed by.

Edit: ah, a shawl. Even better!

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

GrandpaPants posted:

I'm glad I played Suikoden 1 as my first PS1 RPG, where the plot curse is that you get the Soul Eater Rune.

I remember finding out that it gets more powerful every time somebody important dies and felt like a genius for figuring it out.

Phantasium fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jul 6, 2017

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
Also, when you do cure Samson, he doesn't get his lost stats back, he just stops randomly freezing or hurting himself. It's quite possible that he ends up worse and at a higher level than when he started.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Nah, if you look at his stats before he gets cursed, it's pretty garbage for the level he's at (I think level 15?). There's no way he doesn't turn out better than before. But by the time he gets uncursed you have a magic egg yolk in your party that can summon flaming dragons so you really don't care by that point.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

U-DO Burger posted:

Nah, if you look at his stats before he gets cursed, it's pretty garbage for the level he's at (I think level 15?). There's no way he doesn't turn out better than before. But by the time he gets uncursed you have a magic egg yolk in your party that can summon flaming dragons so you really don't care by that point.

I could've sworn it happened in the LP (not in all stats, but in some) but I can't find it now to double-check so you might be right. I haven't played the game in probably 20 years myself; it was the first PSX game I owned.

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 359 days!
Has anyone here played dynasty warriors: godseekers? It's on sale on PSN and has been out for half a year, but I can find very little info about it, and even though it looks like dynasty tactics it looks pretty bad and I don't trust gamefaqs message boards for opinions. I just need an SRPG fix :smith:

also atelier firis is $20 at gamestop this week, it feels as phoned in as Sophie (we really did get kind of spoiled with Dusk) but I recommend it at that price

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
If you're dying for dynasty tactics 3 but replacing the 3 kingdoms with Zhao Yu's posse, it's decent.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Kokoro Wish posted:

If you want more of a straight up cyberpunk experience with some spiritual elements, Hong Kong is excellent. If you want more of a fantasy focus, Dragonfall is the one. Both are great. Just don't play Returns, that's more like a proof of concept.

i kind of regret playing returns before dragonfall, i've been burned out on that iteration of shadowrun combat for yeeeaaarrrs because of returns.

should i just play on easy?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tenderjerk posted:

Has anyone here played dynasty warriors: godseekers? It's on sale on PSN and has been out for half a year, but I can find very little info about it, and even though it looks like dynasty tactics it looks pretty bad and I don't trust gamefaqs message boards for opinions. I just need an SRPG fix :smith:
hyperdevotion noire :twisted:

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 359 days!

Endorph posted:

hyperdevotion noire :twisted:

you mean the actual best nepnep game ever made? beat it, enjoyed(!?) it, they should let sting develop more of their games

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i wish sting wasnt kill

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Endorph posted:

i wish sting wasnt kill

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Looper posted:

u best watch urself boyo

dont get me wrong theres a lot to love in the game. but theres soooo much jank too

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

I am for a lvl scaling to a point, ether that you are adjusted down to the stats of the area you are in, or just that the ennemies have a logarithm growth where they hit a plateau after a certain lvl.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Hey, they're finally adding ps4 games to PS now! And one of them is a jrpg! It's....

.....Exist Archive

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Aside from being boring and not good, also all about timing your attacks.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/dengekionline/status/883281962076524544

"Hey can I borrow your homework?"
"Yeah just change it a little bit so it doesn't look obvious"

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Dehry posted:

https://twitter.com/dengekionline/status/883281962076524544

"Hey can I borrow your homework?"
"Yeah just change it a little bit so it doesn't look obvious"

What's it cribbing off, out of curiosity?

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Rem from Re:Zero with longer hair
A knock off Persona 5 protagonist. (pre-release)

Then the whole story is about rescuing someone from a VR world.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

none of those designs or conceits are especially unique in the first place

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Moving away from JRPG talk (they should really get their own thread):

1- Anyone still play NWN1 or 2?

2- How terrible an idea is it for me to back this Pathfinder KS... I want to be doubtful, but they already said they have publisher funding the KS campaign was basically to just prove that there's support for it so the publisher will pay... also Chris Avellone is writing it, and that could make for a great new SP RPG.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fuzz posted:

2- How terrible an idea is it for me to back this Pathfinder KS... I want to be doubtful, but they already said they have publisher funding the KS campaign was basically to just prove that there's support for it so the publisher will pay... also Chris Avellone is writing it, and that could make for a great new SP RPG.

This is the JRPG thread. There is a dedicate WRPG thread.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Ah yeah the stuff that 95% of the thread is about should get its own thread.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Fuzz posted:

2- How terrible an idea is it for me to back this Pathfinder KS...

slightly less terrible than backing Pathfinder Online

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I'll have you know that pathfinder online is going to be the greatest sandbox mmo ever made and is definitely not a scam

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Dehry posted:

Rem from Re:Zero with longer hair
A knock off Persona 5 protagonist. (pre-release)
lol jesus christ

rem is just based off the re:zero guy's favorite boat girl to begin with

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Endorph posted:

lol jesus christ

rem is just based off the re:zero guy's favorite boat girl to begin with

My knowlege of boats are limited to the anime.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Fuzz posted:

maybe we DO need a thread for discussion of horrible bullshit scams but it ain't this one thx

loving pathfinder kickstarter lmao

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Busou Renkin, and good on em for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

chumbler posted:

Busou Renkin, and good on em for it.

And here I thought the only thing anyone knew about that show anymore was