Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EssOEss
Oct 23, 2006
128-bit approved
You can just open Event Viewer from the start menu. The Application log has details about application crashes and the System log has details about BSODs (under the name Bugcheck).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
Thanks. I didn't know that. I thought I had to open a .dump file or something.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

ufarn posted:

After I changed the name of my computer, W10 now tries to log me in on a new account on startup. (It enters a wrong password or something.) The user doesn't show up in Family & other people under Accounts so I have no idea where to delete the thing. What's up?

Anyone know?

netplwiz has the username/pwd prompt option disabled, but the "Users for this computer" shows a "postgres" user. Dunno if this is the problem after I changed the name. No idea why it would map to my username in the log-in screen, though.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I posted this in the Win 10 thread, but maybe I'll ask here to for max visibility:

I've got a Win 10 laptop with an image that needs to be duplicated and deployed to several more laptops. This is my first time doing this.

I generated an answer file with Windows System Image Manager.

I prepped with sysprep and an unattended.xml file using:

sysprep.exe /generalize /oobe /unattend:Unattended.xml /shutdown

After the image was applied to another laptop, it attempted to boot into Windows but had an error along the lines of:

quote:

Windows could not parse or process the unattend answer file for pass [specialize]. The settings specified in the answer file cannot be applied. The error was detected while processing settings for component [Microsoft-Windows-Shell-Setup].

I looked in the setupact.log file and foudn the error was with the ComputerName field:
[Shell Unattend]ComputerName: Failed to set the computer name [HR=0X80070057][GLE=0X00000057]

I was following a guide that said to use %COMPUTERNAME% to get a randomized name, and I guess that was wrong, I should have used '*' ?

Is there any way to take the sysprepped laptop that was generated with the bad unattended answer file and simply import a good one? Or do I have to actually completely reinstall Windows, install Office and other apps, and re-do the sysprep and re-generate the image?

EssOEss
Oct 23, 2006
128-bit approved

ufarn posted:

Anyone know?

netplwiz has the username/pwd prompt option disabled, but the "Users for this computer" shows a "postgres" user. Dunno if this is the problem after I changed the name. No idea why it would map to my username in the log-in screen, though.

This mystery account should show up when you do Start->Run->control userpasswords2

If it still does not show up, there's an Advanced tab with an advanced user management option, where it will definitely show up.

DrBouvenstein posted:

Is there any way to take the sysprepped laptop that was generated with the bad unattended answer file and simply import a good one? Or do I have to actually completely reinstall Windows, install Office and other apps, and re-do the sysprep and re-generate the image?

Not quite sure what you are asking. Are you asking whether you can sysprep it again with the fixed answer file? Yes, you can.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

EssOEss posted:

Not quite sure what you are asking. Are you asking whether you can sysprep it again with the fixed answer file? Yes, you can.

But I can't boot into Windows because of using Sysprep /oobe with the bad answer file. It tries to finish the install and fails, same as if I apply that image to a different laptop.

Will sysprep run from within the command-line of WinPE, is what I'm asking, I guess.

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Jun 30, 2017

ufarn
May 30, 2009

EssOEss posted:

This mystery account should show up when you do Start->Run->control userpasswords2

If it still does not show up, there's an Advanced tab with an advanced user management option, where it will definitely show up.
There's just the postgres one there.

The Advanced tab has the users

Administrator
(my name)
DefaultAccount
postgres

I don't know if there are any of those that aren't supposed to be there.

bigis
Jun 21, 2006
I can't get RDP on my Win10 home machine to work from outside my home network anymore. It works fine on LAN but times out when connecting on 4G from the RDP iOS app or from my Win7 work PC.

I've tried:
- Changing the port number
- Port forwarding on my router
- Sticking my PC in the router DMZ
- Disabling the Windows firewall
- Contacting my ISP to make sure they aren't somehow blocking RDP
- Canyouseeme.org shows the port as open

I'm totally stumped, is there anything else I can try?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

DrBouvenstein posted:

But I can't boot into Windows because of using Sysprep /oobe with the bad answer file. It tries to finish the install and fails, same as if I apply that image to a different laptop.

Will sysprep run from within the command-line of WinPE, is what I'm asking, I guess.

OK, got a fresh install.

Before I sysprep with a new answer file, I ran a validation in Windows System Image Manager.

I got 3 warnings:
code:
Setting NetworkLocation is deprecated in the Windows image	Components/oobeSystem/amd64_Microsoft-Windows-Shell-Setup_neutral/OOBE/NetworkLocation	
Setting SkipMachineOOBE is deprecated in the Windows image	Components/oobeSystem/amd64_Microsoft-Windows-Shell-Setup_neutral/OOBE/SkipMachineOOBE	
Setting SkipUserOOBE is deprecated in the Windows image	    Components/oobeSystem/amd64_Microsoft-Windows-Shell-Setup_neutral/OOBE/SkipUserOOBE	
This should be fine, yeah?

Here's the full .xml:
code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

-<unattend xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:unattend">

-<settings pass="specialize">

-<component language="neutral" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" versionScope="nonSxS" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" processorArchitecture="amd64" name="Microsoft-Windows-Deployment">

-<ExtendOSPartition>

<Extend>true</Extend>

</ExtendOSPartition>

</component>

-<component language="neutral" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" versionScope="nonSxS" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" processorArchitecture="amd64" name="Microsoft-Windows-Shell-Setup">

<ComputerName>*</ComputerName>

<ProductKey>ADCDE-FGHIJ-KLMNO-PQRST-12345</ProductKey>

<RegisteredOrganization>COMPANY NAME</RegisteredOrganization>

<RegisteredOwner/>

<TimeZone>Eastern Standard Time</TimeZone>

</component>

</settings>

-<settings pass="oobeSystem">

-<component language="neutral" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" versionScope="nonSxS" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" processorArchitecture="amd64" name="Microsoft-Windows-International-Core">

<InputLocale>en-US</InputLocale>

<SystemLocale>en-US</SystemLocale>

<UILanguage>en-US</UILanguage>

<UserLocale>en-US</UserLocale>

</component>

-<component language="neutral" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" versionScope="nonSxS" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" processorArchitecture="amd64" name="Microsoft-Windows-Shell-Setup">

-<OOBE>

<HideEULAPage>true</HideEULAPage>

<HideLocalAccountScreen>true</HideLocalAccountScreen>

<HideOEMRegistrationScreen>true</HideOEMRegistrationScreen>

<HideOnlineAccountScreens>true</HideOnlineAccountScreens>

<HideWirelessSetupInOOBE>true</HideWirelessSetupInOOBE>

<NetworkLocation>Work</NetworkLocation>

<ProtectYourPC>3</ProtectYourPC>

<SkipMachineOOBE>true</SkipMachineOOBE>

<SkipUserOOBE>true</SkipUserOOBE>

</OOBE>

-<UserAccounts>

-<LocalAccounts>

-<LocalAccount wcm:action="add">

-<Password>

<Value>QwAwAG0AcAAzAHQAMQB0ADEAdgAzACEAUABhAHMAcwB3AG8AcgBkAA==</Value>

<PlainText>false</PlainText>

</Password>

<Description>Local admin account</Description>

<DisplayName>LOCALADMINNAME</DisplayName>

<Group>administrators</Group>

<Name>LOCALADMINNAME</Name>

</LocalAccount>

</LocalAccounts>

</UserAccounts>

</component>

</settings>

<cpi:offlineImage xmlns:cpi="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:cpi" cpi:source="wim:c:/image/install.wim#My Windows partition"/>

</unattend>
Anything there look wrong?

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010
I'm interested in buying an iPod Nano but I don't want to use iTunes for managing it.

Are there any reliable alternatives to iTunes that I can use for managing an iPod Nano (7th gen)?

ufarn
May 30, 2009

ufarn posted:

There's just the postgres one there.

The Advanced tab has the users

Administrator
(my name)
DefaultAccount
postgres

I don't know if there are any of those that aren't supposed to be there.
It now seems to prompt for the right user on login, but I still have to enter my password. And of course, the password prompt has been turned off in the settings.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Can anyone tell me where i'm going to get Win7 updates if the Windows Update doesn't work? It tells me my hardware is incompatible with Win7 and that i should upgrade to 10, which sounds like bullshit because last month i was still downloading updates just fine.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

HenryEx posted:

Can anyone tell me where i'm going to get Win7 updates if the Windows Update doesn't work? It tells me my hardware is incompatible with Win7 and that i should upgrade to 10, which sounds like bullshit because last month i was still downloading updates just fine.

Are you using an older computer? Microsoft technically ended support for Windows 7 in 2015, and have said that newer hardware may not work with it. They are still releasing security updates until 2020, but no new drivers/etc.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

HenryEx posted:

You'll have to hack the update packages yourself since you're on unsupported hardware, which Microsoft announced would be unsupported in mid 2017 back about 2 years ago. Don't trust any sites offering them prepackaged.

Your other alternative is to downgrade to a Skylake or older Intel chip or a pre-2017 AMD chip.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
That doesn't sound good. I'm on Kaby Lake now and not really keen on stepping down again, but i'm not sure i want to upgrade to 10 either (yet).

Any pointers on where i could inform myself on how to hack together my own update packages?

edit: found this, but before i go around installing random internet poo poo into my Windows, is this what i want?
https://github.com/zeffy/wufuc

HenryEx fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jul 5, 2017

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

HenryEx posted:

That doesn't sound good. I'm on Kaby Lake now and not really keen on stepping down again, but i'm not sure i want to upgrade to 10 either (yet).

Any pointers on where i could inform myself on how to hack together my own update packages?

You're at the point where you need to either move to older hardware or a newer OS. It's likely that you're going to be fighting an uphill, constantly changing battle to keep using Win7 on unsupported hardware, and unlike running MacOS on commodity hardware there's not going to be a community working hard to keep finding workarounds.

If you have a dependency on software that only supports Windows 7, maybe run a Win7 VM for that?

Edit: Looks like I'm wrong, there is a community that will keep finding workarounds to use Windows 7. Sure, give that a shot.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Or just run Ivy Bridge processors until you die. There's a steady stream of 3770 and 3770k systems hitting Ebay for as little as $150 total for CPU / mobo / 4gb RAM / crappy hard drive.

Hell, pair a regular 3770 with any Z68 or Z77 board and you can 4-bin overclock it to 4.3 ghz with (probably) no problem.

There's no better time to revel in the fact that Intel has made basically no progress with their CPUs over the last 6 years!

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

HenryEx posted:

edit: found this, but before i go around installing random internet poo poo into my Windows, is this what i want?
https://github.com/zeffy/wufuc

That would be the way to go for now, but be aware it may not continue to work all the way til 2020, when all Windows 7 regular updates will stop. It will also probably break the next time those Windows Update DLLs receive an actual new version, if that happens.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Whats a free piece of software I can grab to make an ISO from a disc?

pofcorn
May 30, 2011

codo27 posted:

Whats a free piece of software I can grab to make an ISO from a disc?

ImgBurn worked fine the last time I used it.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I went to visit my 94 year old uncle. He uses an iPad but misses using his Dell Inspiron 1300 which he gave me to janitor.

There was nothing wrong with it. I think the battery was dead but I replaced it and set the time in the bios and it booted XP fine. Now should I install a newer OS or keep it at XP. He wants to use a modern web browser, ms office and that's just about it.

It's a Pentium M 1.8ghz with 504mb ram lol running Windows XP Home Edition SP3. Recommendations?

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

Housh posted:

I went to visit my 94 year old uncle. He uses an iPad but misses using his Dell Inspiron 1300 which he gave me to janitor.

There was nothing wrong with it. I think the battery was dead but I replaced it and set the time in the bios and it booted XP fine. Now should I install a newer OS or keep it at XP. He wants to use a modern web browser, ms office and that's just about it.

It's a Pentium M 1.8ghz with 504mb ram lol running Windows XP Home Edition SP3. Recommendations?

Throw it out and get whatever is cheap from the Dell outlet.

You cannot leave it on XP and expect real use out of it. Firefox ESR is the only browser for XP that still gets updates and that's only for two more months. Every website under the sun needs more ram than you've got. As old cipers get disabled on servers and new ones don't get added to XP you get websites that throw very cryptic errors.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

thebigcow posted:

Throw it out and get whatever is cheap from the Dell outlet.

You cannot leave it on XP and expect real use out of it. Firefox ESR is the only browser for XP that still gets updates and that's only for two more months. Every website under the sun needs more ram than you've got. As old cipers get disabled on servers and new ones don't get added to XP you get websites that throw very cryptic errors.
Cool. I'll take the files off of it and toss it. Thanks.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Housh posted:

Cool. I'll take the files off of it and toss it. Thanks.

Are you in the US? Best Buy is taking lovely old laptops for a $75 gift card.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

GreenNight posted:

Are you in the US? Best Buy is taking lovely old laptops for a $75 gift card.
Nope. :canada: but I'll call to see if they have this program going on at the Best Buy's here.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Housh posted:

Nope. :canada: but I'll call to see if they have this program going on at the Best Buy's here.

https://tradein.bestbuy.com/client/#/catalog/product-families/laptops

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

That's still US. This is the Canadian page: http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/trade-in-program.aspx

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Housh posted:

It sounds like it's too old, but see if it can run Neverware.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

HenryEx posted:

Let me make this very very clear. No one. No One should be using Windows 7 anymore. 10. Upgrade to 10. Now.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

codo27 posted:

Let me make this very very clear. No one. No One should be using Windows 7 anymore. 10. Upgrade to 10. Now.

I was a holdout on Windows 7 because of Windows Media Center being pretty much required for my HDHomeRun. I bought a new machine and said "gently caress it" and installed 10, and am glad I did it. There's nothing wrong with Windows 10 except maybe the eternal argument in this and the Windows 10 thread about having to pay attention to updates and restarting your computer.

Unless you have a proprietary piece of software that requires Windows 7, really no reason not to upgrade now. The pros outweigh the cons. You can make it look pretty much like 7 if you want and treat it like 7.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

codo27 posted:

I wish. My home PC runs Win 7 on an i7, has SSDs, GTX 970, 8GB RAM etc etc. I availed myself on the free upgrade to 10 a few months after it came out just to let it mature a little. I did the upgrade in place and that went smoothly but upon completion my PC would just freeze solid after a few minutes. Didn't matter if I was in an application or sitting at the desktop. I thought maybe something got screwed up in the upgrade so did a fresh install from a wiped drive (and stupidly forgot to back up my email - grr!) Exactly the same problem.
So I can only assume there is some combination of hardware in my system that Win 10 hates. I updated my BIOS as well and that didn't help.

Maybe I could swap parts in and out to see what helps (if I had spare parts to do that with) but as 7 is working perfectly stable I'm going to stay with it. I run 10 on my work machine and it's fine - I don't have any reason to stay away from it at home beyond the severe stability issue. When I buy a new PC I'll go to 10.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

codo27 posted:

My studio and lab box runs just fine on 7 and I'm not doing anything about that, soooo

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
You should absolutely update to windows 10. Unless you like have a functioning search or machine that wakes from sleep.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Gromit posted:

I wish. My home PC runs Win 7 on an i7, has SSDs, GTX 970, 8GB RAM etc etc. I availed myself on the free upgrade to 10 a few months after it came out just to let it mature a little. I did the upgrade in place and that went smoothly but upon completion my PC would just freeze solid after a few minutes. Didn't matter if I was in an application or sitting at the desktop. I thought maybe something got screwed up in the upgrade so did a fresh install from a wiped drive (and stupidly forgot to back up my email - grr!) Exactly the same problem.
So I can only assume there is some combination of hardware in my system that Win 10 hates. I updated my BIOS as well and that didn't help.

Maybe I could swap parts in and out to see what helps (if I had spare parts to do that with) but as 7 is working perfectly stable I'm going to stay with it. I run 10 on my work machine and it's fine - I don't have any reason to stay away from it at home beyond the severe stability issue. When I buy a new PC I'll go to 10.

Do you use coretemp?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

codo27 posted:

No-one should be using a fully supported operating system because you say so? OK...
It's no XP. It probably will be the new XP in 2020, but until then, let's ease up on the rhetoric.

vvv I'm not saying you shouldn't be using 10, but we shouldn't pretend 7 is something you should immediately run from as if it was a security risk

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jul 7, 2017

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
He is right though. Everything Windows 7 does, Windows 8.1 does better, for longer, and with the same lack of bullshittery that Windows 10 has.

I still run 8.1 on my main system at home because I like Windows Media Center. If 10 had Media Center, I'd still probably stay on 8.1.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I've nearly the same specs as Gromit and everything has been roses since day 1. You should also Always always clean install your OS on any device when you can.

So I have a nice little ThinkPad here but for some reason it's only a 32 bit install of Windows, so most of the RAM is useless. I wanna go clean to 10 64 bit but it's got office 2016 and I don't want them to lose it even though she said she doesn't use it. Computer was given to her so she doesn't have license info. I guess I could use magic jelly bean to get the key, any other way to back up the install?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

codo27 posted:

I've nearly the same specs as Gromit and everything has been roses since day 1. You should also Always always clean install your OS on any device when you can.

So I have a nice little ThinkPad here but for some reason it's only a 32 bit install of Windows, so most of the RAM is useless. I wanna go clean to 10 64 bit but it's got office 2016 and I don't want them to lose it even though she said she doesn't use it. Computer was given to her so she doesn't have license info. I guess I could use magic jelly bean to get the key, any other way to back up the install?
Here's some info on how to recover the product key (and get install media) if the Office install was acquired through the Home Use Program (HUP). Though I'm not sure how to verify if this actually is the case.

Backing up the Office install while switching the OS install from under it isn't a viable option afaik.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I'm familiar with the HUP, that's how I got office. It's professional plus that's installed on here but no account info signed in on it or else it would be smooth sailing. MJB isn't much help either

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I'm looking for a wallpaper switcher that will let me either select a different folder of images for each monitor or, ideally, select images for each monitor based upon resolution and/or aspect ratio.