Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

At first I was like "ugh this is a terrible spot for a flashback, I think we got the gist of Kirishima a while ago" but then Mina showed up and defeated bullies with the power of spontaneous breakdancing.

A+ chapter, Horikoshi is a genius.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Sarcophallus posted:

Page 15 suggests it was the mud guy from chapter 1.

No, I don't think it is. He's talking about Midoriya and Bakugou in relation to the mud man, not what just happened with Mina. The guy under the cloak has back spikes and fangs, so I think we're getting our first real appearance of the next member of the villain alliance.

You can even see he's wearing a radio around his neck on page 11, just like he was listening to in his other earlier panel.

LostRook fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jul 6, 2017

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

LostRook posted:

No, I don't think it is. He's talking about Midoriya and Bakugou in relation to the mud man, not what just happened with Mina. The guy under the cloak has back spikes and fangs, so I think we're getting our first real appearance of the next member of the villain alliance.

You can even see he's wearing a radio around his neck on page 11, just like he was listening to in his other earlier panel.

You're likely right, the juxtaposition makes it more ambiguous than it has any right to be.

I suppose cloak guy didn't necessarily go and commit any crimes after the Mina incident.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Whenever he shows up again I want him to thank Mina for the directions because it turned out she was accidentally right.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
A couple weeks ago in the anime thread before I started reading, I said

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

Also, Kirishima feels like the protagonist of a different show, happening in some alternate universe.

And I'm glad I turned out to be secretly right and I'm a big fan of my boy Red Riot

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
With Mina stealing the spotlight in Kirishima's flashback, Aoyama's must be all Mina start to finish.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The interview with Hori from the super archive is really interesting.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Mineta is a Hori self insert, confirmed.

Also Mina is great. Just great.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

A couple weeks ago in the anime thread before I started reading, I said

And I'm glad I turned out to be secretly right and I'm a big fan of my boy Red Riot

I want to be in whatever alternate universe has a western style 26 issue full color spinoff of The Unbreakable Red Riot

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
If you diss Mineta you diss Horikoshi. :v:

Bits from the interview:
Umakoshi and Horikoshi are both fans of Mike Mignola and try to emulate his style.
MHA's tendency towards less slim bodytypes is because it happens to be what Horikoshi's prefers :v:
He thinks the american system of having a writer and an illustrator would be good to deal with the workload.
Horikoshi spends about 3 to 4 days drawing. The other days are for stuff like hashing out the plot and such.

re: today's chapter:
Wasn't it only a year between All Might selecting Deku and entering UA? Did Kirishima go from "harden his skin a bit" to "can facetank boulders" in just a year?

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

Kyte posted:

Did Kirishima go from "harden his skin a bit" to "can facetank boulders" in just a year?

Puberty's a hell of a thing.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
It's what the doctors call manly spirit.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Kyte posted:

Bits from the interview:
Umakoshi and Horikoshi are both fans of Mike Mignola and try to emulate his style.
MHA's tendency towards less slim bodytypes is because it happens to be what Horikoshi's prefers :v:
He thinks the american system of having a writer and an illustrator would be good to deal with the workload.
Horikoshi spends about 3 to 4 days drawing. The other days are for stuff like hashing out the plot and such.
You left out my favorite part:

- He likes drawing hands, which is the main reason for Shigaraki's design. He immediately knew it was going to be a pain to animate but went ahead anyway.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Sindai posted:

- He likes drawing hands, which is the main reason for Shigaraki's design. He immediately knew it was going to be a pain to animate but went ahead anyway.

From the Volume 2 introduction

Koehi Horikoshi posted:

I like drawing hands. I give them a lot of care because, besides the face, I think that hands are the body part most capable of showing expression and character. On the flip side, drawing hands that aren't expressive is especially tough because there's nothing to go on. For that reason, there's one character in this volume who's especially difficult and who had me on the verge of tears every week. It makes me resent myself. It'll be plenty obvious to any reader which character I'm referring to, so go ahead. Read on.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Kyte posted:

Wasn't it only a year between All Might selecting Deku and entering UA? Did Kirishima go from "harden his skin a bit" to "can facetank boulders" in just a year?

Maybe he's been taking drugs the whole time.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Zerilan posted:

I want to be in whatever alternate universe has a western style 26 issue full color spinoff of The Unbreakable Red Riot

With MHA being as popular as it is, it's likely only a matter of time before there's an East-West collab or cross-promotion.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Kyte posted:

Bits from the interview:

I hope this leads to the two of them swapping fan art with Mignola of each other's characters like the Yu-Gi-Oh guy did

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Kyte posted:

re: today's chapter:

You can't just underestimate the power and fortitude behind a MANLY SPIRIT!

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Alien Queen yes!

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
if i didnt think itd be massively out of character for kirishima, id probably suspect his powerup is from juicing

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Considering his current refreshing Unbreakable form is the result of a spur of the moment "I'll save you" scene I wouldn't be surprised if he originally went from firm skin to regular hardening in a similar manner. We still have flashback to go after all.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

If Deku can go from scrawny to brawny with a year of training my boy Kirishima can overcome his insecurities and get buff in the same amount of time.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i didnt say i think he is :v:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

EmmyOk posted:

Considering his current refreshing Unbreakable form is the result of a spur of the moment "I'll save you" scene I wouldn't be surprised if he originally went from firm skin to regular hardening in a similar manner. We still have flashback to go after all.

No it wasn't. He was working on that since Bakugou gave him the idea.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Sindai posted:

Ever since he mentioned that in the tankobon author comments early on, which I believe is the one EmmyOk posted a bit ago, I've been paying a lot of attention to the way he draws hands on different characters. You can really tell he puts a lot of thought into them.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

RatHat posted:

No it wasn't. He was working on that since Bakugou gave him the idea.

That's why I said refreshing Unbreakable that he just showed off with FatGum

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The whole part where Hori and Umakoshi nerd out over animation and art is great.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Gyges posted:

Look at this guy who doesn't understand the power of flashback. Red Riot is just powering up from shield to spear of justice.

Yeah. Of course he is. That's the most obvious thing that could possibly happen as a result of this, so it's going to happen. I don't just want or need a two chapter flashback in the middle of a fight I already don't care about. When I was talking about Kirishima needing build up for another big moment this isn't what I had in mind.

Hell I don't even feel like I learned anything about his character from this. Inadequacy issues has been his entire arc thus far and this is just banging on the same drum.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
we can't all be as powerful as mina, kirishima...

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Peel posted:

With MHA being as popular as it is, it's likely only a matter of time before there's an East-West collab or cross-promotion.

There was already a bit of this when Marvel had him draw a poster for Civil War or something like that.

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe
I want Mina to bring spontaneous break-dancing to everyone's flashback. Just think how much better Icyhot's past would have been if Mina had got him, Endeavor, and his mom dancing together. Deku and Bakugou could have worked out their issues years ago if she had got a dance-off going after Deku pulled Baku out of the water.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
I want Mina to make surprise cameo's in everyone's flashback from now on.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Her true Quirk of causing everyone to be friends via breakdancing is very powerful and I can't wait for the dance off at the end of the series to save the rec centre Toshinori's life.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
I suspect what will happen is Mina will basically tell him "yea I'm scared as hell but a Hero does it anyway" and that simple realization will slap him in the face like a wet mackerel. Alternatively, just a simple "holy poo poo I'm already moving" moment much like Deku had would be pretty awesome.

Either way I look forward to the next part of the flashback.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

It looks like he already came to the revelation that Mina acted despite being totally terrified which makes her a much more heroic person than him and his heart is actually weak, not just his ability.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Radish posted:

It looks like he already came to the revelation that Mina acted despite being totally terrified which makes her a much more heroic person than him and his heart is actually weak, not just his ability.

Yeah, he's coming to grips with the fact that he's all talk.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

RatHat posted:

Maybe he's been taking drugs the whole time.

Roundabout way to discuss student drug use to excel academically.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
One thing I missed: Horikoshi mentioning he loves creepy and grotesque stuff, which totally explains why he has all those Venom figs in his studio.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

He also likes girls who are lowkey thicc see: uraraka

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Low key thicc