Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I think, that if you wanted to do set bonuses, they should be a cosmetic thing, not a stat thing.

"If you are a black mage wearing 4 pieces of the Genta (Omega) armor, your flare spell is now purple."
"If you wear six pieces of the Ala Mhigan gear, your spells and abilities can cause a spectral griffin to appear behind your character for 5 seconds"
(these are dumb, bad ideas I just spitballed)

Do stuff like that so that it's a nice bonus when you have the set, but never necessary or a deal breaker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Countblanc posted:

My argument against "interesting gear set bonuses" isn't that they'll make other things obsolete, or make people do old content long into an expansion, but that if those things make a class more fun to play they should just be default parts of that kit. I played BLM in 3.X for two years and never got sick of it because I fundamentally enjoyed how it played, if the base class designs are strong, offer room for growth, and have cool toolkits then modifying them with temporary upgrades feels like an unnecessary design burden.

Yeah, I think that's why, if set bonuses ever did exist in FFXIV (a massive and unrealistic hypothetical), I'd really want them to be something you can keep forever if you want to. Like Obligatum VII posted, something like GW2's runes, where your set bonus isn't tied to a particular set of gear, but instead a set of upgrade items you slot into your gear, and could slot into a different armor set as you go.

But you're right, the question then becomes: why is this tied to gear and not just a choice I can make in my character build? Why not just have a system where you have alternate traits you can select in a menu just like you select role actions now? Functionally the same, but with less bookkeeping to do (you don't have to worry about finding the upgrade items, slotting them in, whether you can remove them, is it a waste to overwrite them, etc.). And when FFXIV doesn't really want to do that, either--I don't think there's much appetite in the game, nor a need, for talent builds--why would they have set bonuses that are functionally the same idea but more of a pain in the rear end?

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Countblanc posted:

or make people do old content long into an expansion,

You mean that thing that FF14 heavily tries to encourage rather often? Even when (Satasha) we (Copperbell) really (Totorak) wish they (Aurum Vale) wouldn't?

Not that this invalidates any of the rest of what you said.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Obligatum VII posted:

You mean that thing that FF14 heavily tries to encourage rather often? Even when (Satasha) we (Copperbell) really (Totorak) wish they (Aurum Vale) wouldn't?

Not that this invalidates any of the rest of what you said.

Well the reason I included that line is because it's a common argument against those sorts of items. I actually don't mind that aspect of them in moderation.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Mordiceius posted:

I think, that if you wanted to do set bonuses, they should be a cosmetic thing, not a stat thing.

"If you are a black mage wearing 4 pieces of the Genta (Omega) armor, your flare spell is now purple."
"If you wear six pieces of the Ala Mhigan gear, your spells and abilities can cause a spectral griffin to appear behind your character for 5 seconds"
(these are dumb, bad ideas I just spitballed)

Do stuff like that so that it's a nice bonus when you have the set, but never necessary or a deal breaker.

This would totally be my jam. I'd kill for thematically appropriate cosmetic set changes. But the times I've previously brought it up, people always dumped on it as way too much burden on the art team which... I guess is fair. Oh well.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Now I want a set that changes the huge foul effect into a rainbow

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Truga posted:

Hey now! We were talking about creating sets that you wouldn't feel like you needed to keep forever!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Truga posted:

That'd be the fastest way to get me to play a Black Mage, that's for sure. Just rainbow-bomb everything until their retinas explode.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Zaphod42 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-WXYg-S05U&feature=youtu.be&t=6m2s YoshiP said its okay.

log parsers won't be caught unless you announce that poo poo and nobody cares, tons of people use them. Not the same as a mod that directly touches the game.

You get banned for bots.

AFAIK FFXIV doesn't have any spyware poo poo like Warden so there's no way for them to know if you aren't actually modding the game.

That doesn't address my point of not really wanting jackasses posting damage meters in pug content that doesn't really matter tho.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

That doesn't address my point of not really wanting jackasses posting damage meters in pug content that doesn't really matter tho.

Yeah that's stupid. I wouldn't even talk about it outside of private chat. But personally I do get a bit paranoid if I have no idea if I'm doing best dps or worst dps or what. I just want a ballpark idea of my performance overall, I don't even bother setting up timers or any of that jazz.

I think "feel free to log your own damage to calculate how you're doing but don't tell people they're poo poo in pubby dungeons/raids or you get banned for harassment/modding" is a pretty good GM policy :thumbsup:

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

that doesnt happen in any game that allows parsers outside rare circumstances.

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED
I hope the catfish people eventually summon a primal in a later patch by stockpiling persimmons instead of aetheryte

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Vote kick

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Midnightghoul posted:

I hope the catfish people eventually summon a primal in a later patch by stockpiling persimmons instead of aetheryte

I hope the catfish people have dailies and a catfish mount.

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

Bleu posted:

The Deltascape sets are almost painfully ugly. I have no glamour game and I don't care about glamour, and even I think they look terrible.

They are period accurate samurai gear. I think the pointy hats look silly too, but the dragoon gear looks amazing, and so does the tank set.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah that's stupid. I wouldn't even talk about it outside of private chat. But personally I do get a bit paranoid if I have no idea if I'm doing best dps or worst dps or what. I just want a ballpark idea of my performance overall, I don't even bother setting up timers or any of that jazz.

I think "feel free to log your own damage to calculate how you're doing but don't tell people they're poo poo in pubby dungeons/raids or you get banned for harassment/modding" is a pretty good GM policy :thumbsup:

The only time I've ever seen people in the parser have truly embarrassingly low damage is if they are too dumb to hit all their buttons, or too dumb to dodge aoes so they spend a bunch of time dead. If you're not in either of those categories I'm going to guess you're totally fine.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Philonius posted:

and so does the tank set.

incorrect

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Bleu posted:

The Deltascape sets are almost painfully ugly. I have no glamour game and I don't care about glamour, and even I think they look terrible.

I like them :colbert:

Saint Freak posted:

The only time I've ever seen people in the parser have truly embarrassingly low damage is if they are too dumb to hit all their buttons, or too dumb to dodge aoes so they spend a bunch of time dead. If you're not in either of those categories I'm going to guess you're totally fine.

Well, there's also ability to compare to self and improve slightly too. Comparing my dps to past performance is an indicator if I'm slipping or if I'm doing a pretty good job of maintaining all my class poo poo while also dodging mechanics and stuff.

I play NIN and its sufficiently complicated that its not always obvious what the optimal priority is when you consider time and mechanics and movement.

2 SPOOKY
Sep 9, 2010

Always Be Alert!

The FF14 community mods are insanely strict wrt naming/shaming dps by way of parser info, etc. You can talk about using it, you can post numbers in whatever chat you want, but if you shame someone over their DPS you'll get the suspension hammer if you're reported.

As long as that trend continues, ACT is nothing but a net positive for the community, IMO, and an excellent tool for self improvement. And sometimes you'll get a good laugh (or cry) when you realize your 500 DPS BLM is a blizzard wizard.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

IMO, when you're doing group content, you owe it to the other 3/7/23 people to put some effort in.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

yea reading that now i worded it stupidly. You can kill the first two bosses generally with just normal gear but to take down boss 3 and 4 you need the drops from bosses 1 and 2 and the tomestone gear.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Ibram Gaunt posted:

IMO, when you're doing group content, you owe it to the other 3/7/23 people to put some effort in.

:agreed:

That said, that's tangential to the whole "naming and shaming" thing. Like if someone is running damage meters and notices you're doing worse than you could be, then offers you some pointers or something? I don't have a problem with that. If someone did that to me and I reacted by saying "uh, you don't pay my sub, stop telling me how to play :colbert:," I'd be the jerk.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Harrow posted:

:agreed:

That said, that's tangential to the whole "naming and shaming" thing. Like if someone is running damage meters and notices you're doing worse than you could be, then offers you some pointers or something? I don't have a problem with that. If someone did that to me and I reacted by saying "uh, you don't pay my sub, stop telling me how to play :colbert:," I'd be the jerk.

Nah you're not the jerk. They are a colossal dip poo poo and not worth continuing on with and should be replaced. Also no one that I have heard of has ever gotten in trouble for naming and shaming. I told a blm his dps was awful and told him the exact number because he was being a dick the entire exdr run and was saying "my dps is good enough to do X". Still here and never got reported. The day I get banned for using ACT is the day I stop playing mmos. So probably never.

It's an easier sell for the devs to say "we don't want toxicity" then saying "our spaghetti 1.0 code still left won't let us give you decent dps meters". That's my take on why we still don't have them. Otherwise why don't we have at least a numbered threat meter like every other game?

panda clue
May 23, 2014
brb contacting support

Holyshoot posted:

It's an easier sell for the devs to say "we don't want toxicity" then saying "our spaghetti 1.0 code still left won't let us give you decent dps meters". That's my take on why we still don't have them. Otherwise why don't we have at least a numbered threat meter like every other game?

this is dumb and definitely not the case... considering DPS meters exist

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

panda clue posted:

brb contacting support

do it!

edit: i think it would actually happen if they put more then just "report for rmt" activity under the report function.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Holyshoot posted:

do it!

edit: i think it would actually happen if they put more then just "report for rmt" activity under the report function.

it's sort of insane how they haven't done that yet. i wanted to report someone for being a racist child but forgot what menu to go through to do it since it apparently isn't right click > report like everyone would assume

Mad Science
Jul 23, 2013

Leofish posted:

Question for PS4 users: If the power goes out do you always have to redownload the game? I'm pretty sure my system was completely off, not in rest mode, when I went to bed last night. We lost power briefly, but when I turned on the PS4 today I got a notice about not being shut down properly and now I have to download 23 gigs worth of data.

I'm just wondering, for the future, is this a regular thing? It's possible the PS4 was in rest mode, but we usually turn it off completely at night. Anyone else experience this?

From what I hear, this is a known issue, no idea when they're gonna address it though. Happened to a friend of mine that plays on PS4 during SB launch weekend. I would suggest backing the game files up onto a USB or external hard drive in case it happens again.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

panda clue posted:

brb contacting support

this is dumb and definitely not the case... considering DPS meters exist

so they cant give us a real threat meter with numbers because?

When a tank has 900k threat and the second highest has 600k, on the SE threat meter it looks like to the DPS they are super close to the tank. So they freak out and use a threat drop when it isn't needed.

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013

Skaw posted:

I'm not sure if the numbers or even the idea behind it are accurate, so take it for what it is, but I read a reddit post that roughly 3000 crit is the point where crit outweighs a similar amount of direct hit. Crit still affects both rate and potency, where as direct hit only affects rate and is a static 25% increase in potency. The overall theoretical effective differences were said to be incredibly small beforehand though.

However if you're a job with important crit mechanics, like Bard and Monk, Crit is always superior.

~3000 is where the totals cross. If you want to know what to meld, you should look at the marginal values, which depend on how much you have of each. A point of crit is always better once you reach ~2000, but linear scaling means DH gets worse relatively per point, so crit is better sooner the more DH you have.

(again, assuming the values floating around for the conversions are true)

2 SPOOKY
Sep 9, 2010

Always Be Alert!

Holyshoot posted:

Nah you're not the jerk. They are a colossal dip poo poo and not worth continuing on with and should be replaced. Also no one that I have heard of has ever gotten in trouble for naming and shaming. I told a blm his dps was awful and told him the exact number because he was being a dick the entire exdr run and was saying "my dps is good enough to do X". Still here and never got reported. The day I get banned for using ACT is the day I stop playing mmos. So probably never.

That's pretty interesting, since that runs counter to Reddit documentation of suspensions/bans for that sort of thing, including screenshots of the talking to said people got. Maybe you've just never been actually reported for it :shrug:

In either case I've been playing since coil and I've never actually seen someone use a parser to DPS shame. I've seen plenty of people broach the subject of bad dps, but it's generally something noticeable like "hey you know your job has an AoE" or "why aren't you casting fire 4, ever?", which I think is pretty reasonable to talk about.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

2 SPOOKY posted:

That's pretty interesting, since that runs counter to Reddit documentation of suspensions/bans for that sort of thing, including screenshots of the talking to said people got. Maybe you've just never been actually reported for it :shrug:

In either case I've been playing since coil and I've never actually seen someone use a parser to DPS shame. I've seen plenty of people broach the subject of bad dps, but it's generally something noticeable like "hey you know your job has an AoE" or "why aren't you casting fire 4, ever?", which I think is pretty reasonable to talk about.

It would be more reasonable if I just had a number instead of having to know how their job plays. Obviously AoE is easy to call out but single target would be harder if I have never touched the job.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

2 SPOOKY posted:

I've seen plenty of people broach the subject of bad dps, but it's generally something noticeable like "hey you know your job has an AoE" or "why aren't you casting fire 4, ever?", which I think is pretty reasonable to talk about.

I don't use ACT (combination of laziness and bads driving me crazy), but it drives me up the wall when I notice stuff like this. I spent like half of a Shisui the other day passive-aggressively suggesting that the PLD should use his nifty new AoE attack, because watching him do nothing but Halonecombo trash was breaking me on a spiritual level.

The good news is that he didn't realize he even had it, thinking it was higher level, and immediately went on to become the world's greatest Beyblade. The bad news is that I can't pay everybody's sub, and thus 90% of DRGs will continue to single target "so i can nastrond them". :suicide:

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

Holyshoot posted:

It would be more reasonable if I just had a number instead of having to know how their job plays. Obviously AoE is easy to call out but single target would be harder if I have never touched the job.

Why would it help? The people most in need of your unsolicited advice are the least likely to take it. Just a way to start arguments.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

nuru posted:

Make all the bathing suits raid only. The outrage would be incredible.

Glamour crystals should only drop from savage raids.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I finished leveling up my tank class and hoo boy are there some terrible healers out there. I don't nag because it's pointless but it drives me nuts when I get a White Mage who never casts Holy or Assize or who just sits there doing nothing if they don't need to heal.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

The worst times I've ever had in an MMO is when everyone is too polite to tell someone they seriously suck poo poo and need to improve because they're holding everyone else back. Sometimes someone has to be the rear end in a top hat.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Kongming posted:

The worst times I've ever had in an MMO is when everyone is too polite to tell someone they seriously suck poo poo and need to improve because they're holding everyone else back. Sometimes someone has to be the rear end in a top hat.

This really only applies to organized groups though, you can't really get meaningful change out of someone in a 15 minute dungeon run. The exception is really obvious stuff like "you should AoE because otherwise the other guy AoEing is going to run out of TP and it's faster" or telling honest healers to cast Aero III sometime.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
The only time I like being that dick is when said person actually deserves it. I don't care what your circumstances are in 24 mans or dungeons or whatever NO ONE GETS A FREE AFK RIDE!

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Augus posted:

Whcih role actions should I be prioritizing as a Dragoon?

I run:

True North--the only role skill that actually increases your damage, because loving everything in this expansion turns you face you 3 times a minute
Diversion--if your tank is good, both DPS using this on CD will increase the tank's DPS in dungeons. It doesn't really matter in 8-mans because of circle shirking though.
Invigorate--Useful while AoEing or just after being rezzed. Unless encounter design changes dramatically, you'll have basically infinite TP outside of those situations though
Feint--I never ever remember to use this, but it's pretty good
Second Wind--Good just after being rezzed, or in a situation where you gently caress up a mechanic just before raidwide damage goes out. Definitely replaceable by gitting gud, though I dunno exactly which action you'd take over it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kongming posted:

Not really in my experience. A 15 minute run where things go a little slower is better than a 15 minute run where things go slower still because two people are sniping at each other in chat.