Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I'd uninstall MODO if they stopped doing Cube. It's the only reason I fire it up anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

This is all very confusing. Do you mind if I call you Rodriguez?

ShaneB posted:

People like playing for stakes.

More importantly I like playing against people who play for stakes. People who care about winning and won't just get bored and leave halfway through the game, or snapkeep a zero-lander and just quit if he doesn't draw land -> land. That sort of thing.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Gustav posted:

More importantly I like playing against people who play for stakes. People who care about winning and won't just get bored and leave halfway through the game, or snapkeep a zero-lander and just quit if he doesn't draw land -> land. That sort of thing.

This is the big draw of MODO to me.

Just never, never go into the casual / "tournament practice" rooms.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
NO TRIBAL

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

XMage is a super clunky, if functional, free open source program so that's good enough for me. I don't use it much but it is nice for things like Legacy goon tourneys.

One of the first times I played XMage some dude whined about me playing an infinite combo in modern (it was Melira). Then they proceed to Polymorph out a T4 Emrakul game 2 (after which I immediately CoCo'd and hit my singleton Fiend Hunter).

Alaan
May 24, 2005

The vibe I get from Xmage is the user base is garbage and not particularly useful if you just play randos. If you have a play group it's fine.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Alaan posted:

The vibe I get from Xmage is the user base is garbage and not particularly useful if you just play randos. If you have a play group it's fine.

This really isn't true.

As an ex MTGO user there is a huge shitlord user base which has been shown ITT multiple times with screen shots of people whining and crying. On XMage those types exists but there is also a huge swath of people who play as if something is on the line and don't act like dickheads.

What's nice about it is that you can set perimeters for casual or serious "rated" play. These rooms are great because it's people playing Modern, Standard, Legacy with decks they're testing because they may end up buying into them in the paper game. I played the Mardu Reanimator deck posted in here on XMage for 2 weeks then finally bought the real cards to play @ FNM

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

remember the thing about modo giving out treasure chests and that hod cards were standard legal? wotc responded to that this morning http://wizardsmtgo.tumblr.com/post/162648427199/hour-of-devastation-cards(bolding mine)

quote:

HOUR OF DEVASTATION CARDS

Unfortunately, the Magic Online Treasure Chest changes intended to take effect on July 10 were deployed with the July 5 downtime, and players were able to open Hour of Devastation cards in Magic Online Treasure Chests.

We have since changed treasure chests to remove Hour of Devastation cards. The new distribution will be put back into place effective Monday, July 10 at 8am Pacific.

We will not be retroactively removing cards from collections for players who have already opened or traded them. Their existence in the system also means players will be able to use Hour of Devastation cards in constructed events, so please keep that in mind when choosing to sign up for constructed events.

We apologize for the error and resulting confusion and inconvenience regarding this issue.

- Lee

modo: quality product

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Elyv posted:

remember the thing about modo giving out treasure chests and that hod cards were standard legal? wotc responded to that this morning http://wizardsmtgo.tumblr.com/post/162648427199/hour-of-devastation-cards(bolding mine)

modo: quality product

At this point why even revert? All you're saying here is "don't even bother playing MODO for the next 4 days".

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

I wouldn't revert but it seems...not hard...to add the expansion to "not modern legal" and "not standard legal".

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

The more shocking thing is that Wizards thinks it's a good idea for people to be opening random standard commons in treasure chests.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
It's probably hard coded into the actual program and would require everyone to re-download the entire client again and wipe all collections for some reason.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

evilweasel posted:

I wouldn't revert but it seems...not hard...to add the expansion to "not modern legal" and "not standard legal".

Format legality is hard-coded into cards or something I dunno.

Just remember that Gleemox was legal in all eternal formats for a while because :psyduck:

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I mean, the reason almost certainly is that whatever they're doing in the backend to modify card/set legality requires a downtime. Now, why it requires a downtime instead of just being an sql query dumped to a file or something is another story entirely

Also, Cuneo was apparently streaming standard last night with MED strategic plannings in his deck so at least it's not set symbol dependent or whatever it was that happened those times where some editions of a card worked and some didn't. Baby steps

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

uPen posted:

The more shocking thing is that Wizards thinks it's a good idea for people to be opening random standard commons in treasure chests.

*wotc executive voice* you're right, in return for all the money our customers give us we should give them something they want ins- *begins laughing to hard to finish sentence*

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Yes just what people need, more undeletable draft leftovers clogging up their accounts forever.

Anyway, does anyone know who Riley Knight is? Perhaps a streamer? They're a new commentator at the next PT (along with Cheon).

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Yes just what people need, more undeletable draft leftovers clogging up their accounts forever.

Anyway, does anyone know who Riley Knight is? Perhaps a streamer? They're a new commentator at the next PT (along with Cheon).

Apparently he's done Euro GP commentary already and some people seem to have really liked him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLEqWbEEie8&t=4524s is some work he's done on some non WOTC streams or something? He's fun.

ShaneB fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jul 6, 2017

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

He's a lively play by play commentator from European GPs. He's pretty good.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

I had to double check his twitter handle to confirm it was the guy I remembered from European coverage. He is really upbeat, has kind of a sports commentator type vibe sort of in the Cedric camp. He is the third result on a google search. Second search result is an Aussie Rules football player. Top google result is an xvideos model page, lol.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Does anyone have suggestions for collection tracking? I have twice purchased cards to go into decks only to later find out I already owned them. Fortunately they've been pretty cheap (pauper decks and EDH jank) so it wasn't a huge loss, but it did make me feel silly.

I was using deckbox.org for a while, but a lot of their stuff has shifted to a pay service and the mobile version of the page is pretty crappy. Ideally, I'd like something that works on PC and my phone, so probably something web-based would be best (maybe?) but I'm open to any suggestions. I'm open to spending a couple bucks on software, so that's not a huge barrier.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Aranan posted:

Does anyone have suggestions for collection tracking? I have twice purchased cards to go into decks only to later find out I already owned them. Fortunately they've been pretty cheap (pauper decks and EDH jank) so it wasn't a huge loss, but it did make me feel silly.

I was using deckbox.org for a while, but a lot of their stuff has shifted to a pay service and the mobile version of the page is pretty crappy. Ideally, I'd like something that works on PC and my phone, so probably something web-based would be best (maybe?) but I'm open to any suggestions. I'm open to spending a couple bucks on software, so that's not a huge barrier.

tcgplayer.com

That way when you buy cards from there it automatically adds it to your collection.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I use MTG goldfish premium. I look at the site basically daily and like the deck pricing features enough to pay to support it.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I still like Deckbox but my bad habit of saving every halfway-interesting decklist I see is starting to get really out of hand, I'll click on a card to see if I'm using it in any decks and a dozen different lists will pop up, only one or two of which I'm actually using. I actually haven't noticed what features they've paywalled.

I don't think he reads this thread anymore but Baron von Vaderham claimed to be working on a Deckbox-killer, wonder what ever happened to that.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Riley is great. He does commentary for most of the Euro stuff. He did stream for a while here and there but I'm guessing ge got hired by WotC or something so he can't anymore. I've been saying for years that he should be given more opportunities for coverage, so this is awesome to hear.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Magic counterfeits have come a really long way.

https://www.magiclibrarities.net/675-rarities-middle-ages-stickers-english-cards-images.html

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

LSV said in his black review for HoD that he's fully prepared for lots of people to insist that Torment of Hailfire has gotta be good, it's just gotta!

The comments of that article include lots of people insisting that punisher cards are better than he thinks and are getting unfairly snubbed.

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I argued with a buddy of mine that Vexing Devil was garbage. He insisted otherwise. It turns out Vexing Devil gets a lot better when after they don't take the damage, you play another land, surge out a bushwhacker and hit them for 5 before they can untap and kill it. That said, without the haste, I just don't think it can perform. Hailfire will probably be the same way, garbage unless you can make it so all the options are extremely damaging. So either stripping their hand/permanents to where its a gigantic dome spell, or ramping to some absurd amount of mana, torment of hailfire for x=16 seems good. I don't expect the card to be good, but I feel like casting it for the win in either of those scenarios will be very satisfying.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Magic players are also notorious for failing to evaluate average case as opposed to best case scenario. That card is so bad outside of best case. LSV is putting cards in an average deck with an average board and rating them there. This drives so many people nuts.

I've seen so many exchanges on mythic spoiler where people rave Helm of the Gods will be +10/+10, Majestic Myriarch will be 20/20 and this card will dome out the entire table every game, but oh man if you dare use the word average they fly off the handle and scream about deck construction.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Shovelmint posted:

I argued with a buddy of mine that Vexing Devil was garbage. He insisted otherwise. It turns out Vexing Devil gets a lot better when after they don't take the damage, you play another land, surge out a bushwhacker and hit them for 5 before they can untap and kill it. That said, without the haste, I just don't think it can perform. Hailfire will probably be the same way, garbage unless you can make it so all the options are extremely damaging. So either stripping their hand/permanents to where its a gigantic dome spell, or ramping to some absurd amount of mana, torment of hailfire for x=16 seems good. I don't expect the card to be good, but I feel like casting it for the win in either of those scenarios will be very satisfying.

It's certainly a great card when your opponent has no cards in hand, has no nonland permanents and isn't at an absurd life total, and you have lots of mana available.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Much like how Vexing Devil is good when your opponents misplay into a bushwhacker and never have Push up.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

I think LSV did a legacy video once where he just took the damage off three Vexing Devils and still won pretty handily.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

PrinnySquadron posted:

I think LSV did a legacy video once where he just took the damage off three Vexing Devils and still won pretty handily.

I mean Devil doing four to the face isn't really the fail case, assuming it's in a deck that would play Lava Spike. The problem is that if you're not a burn deck then having your creature Dismember itself is terrible, and if you are a burn deck then you're gambling for one extra damage on the card potentially not getting through at all.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

The problem with Vexing Devil in burn is that it's whichever is worse of {creature, burn spell}. If it's T1 it's no goblin guide or swiftspear or whatever and your opp will probably just take 4, and if it's t6 your opponent will just let you resolve it and then kill it

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

:lol: Fred Ditzler sounds like a fake persons name.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Elyv posted:

The problem with Vexing Devil in burn is that it's whichever is worse of {creature, burn spell}. If it's T1 it's no goblin guide or swiftspear or whatever and your opp will probably just take 4, and if it's t6 your opponent will just let you resolve it and then kill it

It's basically a worse Nacatl. In situations where Nacatl would be really good and get in for 6+ damage, your opponent just takes the 4. In situations where Nacatl is bad and doesn't do anything, it also doesn't do anything.

Burn gave up on Nacatl.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

While reading this entire discussion I had it in my head that Torment of Hailfire was this text:

Torment of Hailfire XB
Sorcery
Target opponent loses 3 life, sacrifices a permanent, or discards a card. Repeat this X times.

I was actually thinking this is really competitively costed at every cost you would play a big 7-10 mana ramp target in standard anyways, since Ulamog is hard cast by some decks and there's a few 7 drops that see fringe play. Actually reading the actual card makes me think it's awful, cause as it turns out adding 2 to the mana cost of a card is a good way to make it much, much worse.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Spiderdrake posted:

Magic players are also notorious for failing to evaluate average case as opposed to best case scenario. That card is so bad outside of best case. LSV is putting cards in an average deck with an average board and rating them there. This drives so many people nuts.

I've seen so many exchanges on mythic spoiler where people rave Helm of the Gods will be +10/+10, Majestic Myriarch will be 20/20 and this card will dome out the entire table every game, but oh man if you dare use the word average they fly off the handle and scream about deck construction.

So many people seem convinced that majestic myriarch is good and I don't understand why

On a semi related note, according to tcgplayer pre-order prices there are currently six cards in Hour of Devastation that cost more than a pack

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Gustav posted:

Whatever happened to Magic League? Their website doesn't seem to exist anymore. I remember playing in some of their tournaments years ago, and even though the only stakes were bragging rights for the most part, having organized tournaments led to much better games than just finding randos in the lobby.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
This may be the deck that gets me into Legacy. poo poo looks hilariously fun. Too bad I'm missing the most expensive 70% of the deck. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Goons, can anyone recommend a store in Atlanta? I'm here for work for the next few weeks and I'd like to play some modern. I'm staying in Kennesaw.