Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
I thought it was super cool that LeBron was trying to organize a league-wide retirement of 23. Then he went back to 23 because ideology is trumped by marketing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
The Rockets retired Clyde Drexler's number even though he was only on the team for two years

It was probably more a Phi Slamma Jamma thing than anything else

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

morestuff posted:

Charlotte's only retired number is some random guy that died in a car crash

Gerald Wallace's number is not retired????

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

attackmole posted:

People should seriously stop wearing the number 23 if they're not MJ or Lebron though.

My favorite one of these is the dude who wore a headband and #23 for the Canton Charge last year:

edit: I think his name was Chris Evans

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Man that's jumping the fence from imitation to cosplay. Goddang.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

kobes entire life is an mj cosplay, wonder if we ever get some dude cosplaying lebron to a hof career

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

Intruder posted:

Never forget Bobby Phills you heathen

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

The Bon Jovi banner Never Happened.

pizza valentine
Sep 19, 2007

DON'T FAKE THE FUNK
Grimey Drawer
Rocky is still hanging from the Nuggets' rafters.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Things lower than Andre Roberson's FT%
https://twitter.com/DavidRo74294058/status/882959550327992320

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Ghost Dog posted:

kobes entire life is an mj cosplay, wonder if we ever get some dude cosplaying lebron to a hof career

Kobe already has his Demar Deroazan. The imitators will be based on media coverage and advertising. I would expect more kids imitating Steph Curry than Lebron. Lebron is totally closed to the world, he doesn't even have a persona. He's been in his own world since he was 17 or so, he's like some Ottoman prince. Plus you need to be 20 standard deviations past everything to meet him. Kobe wasn't an overpowering physical presence, so it's easier to play really selfish basketball, hiss, and shoot fadeaways.

Curry has his mouthpiece chewing and his aww shucks praise to be God persona, and his skip up threes.

ragle
Nov 1, 2009

attackmole posted:

People should seriously stop wearing the number 23 if they're not MJ or Lebron though. Not out of respect or retirement or whatever but just cause it makes you look like a desperate dweeb. Like c'mon Draymond/Anthony Davis/everyone else on this list http://www.basketball-reference.com/friv/numbers.fcgi?number=23&year=2017 . And it just gets lower tier from there. Fred Van Vleet, who are you kidding?

there are now guys in the league wearing #23 as an homage to LeBron

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

kingcobweb posted:

I thought it was super cool that LeBron was trying to organize a league-wide retirement of 23. Then he went back to 23 because ideology is trumped by marketing

He'd have made more keeping the new one since all the Cleveland fans who didn't burn their old LeBron jerseys would have had to buy new ones, good for him for standing up for the fans and recognizing that retiring the number of a known cheater and degenerate league wide would actually be very bad

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Hahah, well do you expect him to keep that 30 million or what

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

You piece of poo poo. You goddamned piece of poo poo.

edit- also that rear end in a top hat can't even add ffs

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

111 today in Vegas. Stay frosty

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
https://twitter.com/FlyDre21/status/883015110087802880

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
The biggest crime was thinking that 501 dollars and 10 cents is 500 dollars. Shame on you Dre

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Evidently he can't shoot, tip, or do math.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I mean, Roberson could have at least tipped 18% like a decent human

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Cool Buff Man posted:

The biggest crime was thinking that 501 dollars and 10 cents is 500 dollars. Shame on you Dre

"501.10" he snipped

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Dejan Bimble posted:

Kobe already has his Demar Deroazan. The imitators will be based on media coverage and advertising. I would expect more kids imitating Steph Curry than Lebron. Lebron is totally closed to the world, he doesn't even have a persona. He's been in his own world since he was 17 or so, he's like some Ottoman prince. Plus you need to be 20 standard deviations past everything to meet him. Kobe wasn't an overpowering physical presence, so it's easier to play really selfish basketball, hiss, and shoot fadeaways.

Curry has his mouthpiece chewing and his aww shucks praise to be God persona, and his skip up threes.

Love this post

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Carlosologist posted:

I can understand Z-Bo's number retirement, he did a lot for the community so it makes sense that they would do it as soon as possible to honor their guy on his way out

Exactly. But that dude's argument is that "if you have to say you need to be here to understand this retirement you don't need to retire it" and I'm getting way too mad online about it. I'm gonna go see Spider-Man

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Mr. Mambold posted:

"501.10" he snipped

He should have given the guy a thousand dollars to make him really happy.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Carlosologist posted:

I mean, Roberson could have at least tipped 18% like a decent human

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

What's everyones bar tipping strategy!!! I always bring cash and tip big on the first drink for better service! Heard it here first folks!!!

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

He made that twitter just to blast Dre.

My eyes still hurt from the grammar error.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Paul Zuvella posted:

What's everyones bar tipping strategy!!! I always bring cash and tip big on the first drink for better service! Heard it here first folks!!!

Yeah I always do that.

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

Paul Zuvella posted:

My strategy is to live in a country that doesn't have a tip culture. You should try it. It solves a lot of problems.

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

NickRoweFillea posted:

Exactly. But that dude's argument is that "if you have to say you need to be here to understand this retirement you don't need to retire it" and I'm getting way too mad online about it. I'm gonna go see Spider-Man

i support you. a jersey retirement is about importance to the fans and the franchise, who gives a poo poo whether people from LA or something get it

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Paul Zuvella posted:

I never tip because these guys are already making hourly ffs :v:

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Rick posted:

Finding out that the Cavs think LeBron personally pays for the players to be there is the most interesting local quirk I've learned of since I learned that Cincinnati puts weird cumen-chili on spaghetti.

its a meat sauce, thank you

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

https://twitter.com/Phantele_/status/882055830304116737

Lob City is over they said

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Intruder posted:

Chiming in late but can you imagine if Morey helps Ainge out by trading for Smart, thus finally obtaining the holy trinity of flops?

Imagine Paul, Harden and Smart on the floor at the same time, all of them falling down simultaneously

Need to sign Vareajo and Blake. Theres a starting five for the ages.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

kingcobweb posted:

Personally I think league wide retirement for Jordan would be kind of lame, it's not like he is Jackie Robinson. Bill Russell would be more deserving of that honor imo.

Huertas and Prigioni had sweet EuroLeague highlights also.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jul 6, 2017

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Dutchy posted:

i support you. a jersey retirement is about importance to the fans and the franchise, who gives a poo poo whether people from LA or something get it

That dude is from the most hated place of Memphis locals: Nashville

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cl5mnyTyFI

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

I just Googled him and saw he's 30 years old and went undrafted. Is there a reason why no NBA team bothered with him until now? He's apparently been pretty good for a while now even winning Euroleague MVP.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

MalarkeyToboggan posted:

I just Googled him and saw he's 30 years old and went undrafted. Is there a reason why no NBA team bothered with him until now? He's apparently been pretty good for a while now even winning Euroleague MVP.

He was making a ton of money in Russia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

WhyteRyce posted:

111 today in Vegas. Stay frosty

obligatory King of the Hill reference

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PYt0SDnrBE

predicto fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jul 6, 2017

• Locked thread