Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Safety Factor posted:

I still want to know why that one guy puts biovores into a tyrannocyte.

Maybe they want the whole enemy army to move up first, then drop the biovores behind them to force them to split fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Zaphod42 posted:

Yes??

Its a huge tonal shift.

Does this mean the other demon primarchs had their good selves splintered and implanted into some other marine too? Or is Magnus special? Can we stick his good part back into him and make him whole again? Its just goofy as hell.

Grey Knights chapter master fuses with Magnus and they form GoMagnus!

Warp Magic has rules. Tearing people's emotions out of their souls and planting that in somebody else was never an established 40k thing, and its super wishywashy.

The whole point was that Tzeentch tricked him into an impossible scenario where he choose chaos. The idea that people are pure evil or pure good is just silly; its better that he was a tragic figure who went to the dark side even though he wasn't fully evil and still isn't.

Oh, okay cool thanks buddy.

E: I collect and paint space barbies but I don't care about the lore like this nerd does!

I enjoy the fluff, but don't have an aneurysm when something dumb pops up.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Safety Factor posted:

I still want to know why that one guy puts biovores into a tyrannocyte.

So they can miss, and you can drop spores close to characters and charge them next turn.

With split fire on units it will never happen though. They are T1 with 1 wound and no armour so you just have to dedicate a basic infantry shot or two at them.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

TKIY posted:

I messed up the damage, its 1 or d3 not a d6. Still:

Hit on a 4+. No LoS was FAQd in. If you miss, free mine within 6". If you hit, roll a d6. 1 is no effect. 2-5 is 1 mortal wounds. 6 is d3 mortal wounds. 36 points.

Remember the weapon is heavy, you can't overwatch with it, and you can only shoot at the closest model if you are outside of the shorter ranged synapse. For a grand total of.... 1 wound! Or in a squad of 3, 108 points for 3 wounds!
Meanwhile zoanthropes are synapse, have a 3++ save, don't give a poo poo about advancing/moving out of combat, have fly, and in a squad of 4 average 4 mortal wounds with the ability to slap Horror on something, and are 120 points. Though putting them in a pod to control what gets hit is almost mandatory.
Biovores are for sniping out characters. Sure, a unit of 3 could kill a terminator every other turn, but... eh? Missing a squad and putting mines next to buffing character is the best use.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar
Hey guys, long time no posting here, 8th has brought me back into the game ish. I play Dark Angels, Iyanden Eldar and Khorne CSM/Demons. Played 3 games of 8th so far - Khorne list kinda crushed a warrior-based Necron list, Ravenwing bounced off a balanced Chaos list and Deathwing were annihilated by a Destroyer Necron army.

Mainly looking for some Dark Angels feedback - the last time that I played Deathwing I played an alpha strike list when they got twin linked with their deep strikes and assault cannons were terrifying, but that doesn't seem very possible anymore. Similarly, Ravenwing seem completely different as well, with my bikes getting wrecked but my landspeeders being hyper tough and effective if costly. Has anyone run a successful RW or DW list? Are there trap units? It's really hard to judge with the new points/vehicle system now.

With Sammael's rerolls I was considering a list with like a core of landspeeders wandering around as a deathstar with some throwaway bikes to kill / distract key targets, but it just ends up being so few models, even if there are a lot of wounds with it. And also I think it just dies to a couple of lascannons.

Deathwing I'm really at a loss, they were completely underwhelming in the one game I played. The increase in wounds seems more than offset by armor modification on weapons + their old counter of plasma weapons all doing multiple wounds anyways. That said I think the destroyer army was a ridiculously hard counter to the army so I'm not even sure I could have won with any DW list.

Khorne Berzerkers seem really, really good. My planned next Khorne list is a bunch of berzerkers, Heldrakes, and a Herald on a Juggernaut to run around and kill a thing. I'll grab some pictures of my guys when I get home tonight.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
From BoLS:

quote:

GW: Next Week’s Grimdark Prices & Products CONFIRMED

KNOW NO FEAR: $80
FIRST STRIKE: $40
Easy to Build Primaris Intercessors: $15
Easy to Build Primaris Reivers: $15
Easy to Build Death Guard Plague Marines:$15
Easy to Build Poxwalkers: $15
Those kits are 3 models each for the SMs and the DG, 6 models for the Pox Walkers. Even though they're the monopose guys that come in the bog box, it's still a good price.

Does anyone know if the Know No Fear book is a true mini rulebook?

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
Cross posting this from the painting thread because I'm actually happy with how these models are coming out for once. I'm hoping to finish up the Intercessors tonight.

Really looking forward to seeing them on the tabletop.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
I'm a bit iffy on the Easy to Build prices. Your average squad of tacticals is $4/model, and they aren't monopose and come with way more weapon options. For simple kits like this, I feel like $10 would've been the real ideal. Hell, that'd put these 6 Poxwalkers about on par with the current 5-man Cultist set pricewise, and put the other models more in scale with what you could expect from basic troop pricing.

The bundle for $40 I'm fine with, but considering my earlier analysis that's about what I'd value all of those models at combined anyway.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

LordAba posted:

Remember the weapon is heavy, you can't overwatch with it, and you can only shoot at the closest model if you are outside of the shorter ranged synapse. For a grand total of.... 1 wound! Or in a squad of 3, 108 points for 3 wounds!
Meanwhile zoanthropes are synapse, have a 3++ save, don't give a poo poo about advancing/moving out of combat, have fly, and in a squad of 4 average 4 mortal wounds with the ability to slap Horror on something, and are 120 points. Though putting them in a pod to control what gets hit is almost mandatory.
Biovores are for sniping out characters. Sure, a unit of 3 could kill a terminator every other turn, but... eh? Missing a squad and putting mines next to buffing character is the best use.

Zoans are going to have to get close, can't pick their target and are going to get charged and popped. Biovores can hide in a ruin all game long.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

TKIY posted:

Zoans are going to have to get close, can't pick their target and are going to get charged and popped. Biovores can hide in a ruin all game long.

You'll need somebody babysitting the Biovore in the ruins, too. Depending on the synapse unit, that can be as simple as a small unit of Warrior bodyguards, or a hilariously big waste of a Tyrant or Broodlord. Even then, a Warrior has way better things to do than hang in the back watching over a useful at best, middling at worst artillery piece.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

The Bee posted:

You'll need somebody babysitting the Biovore in the ruins, too. Depending on the synapse unit, that can be as simple as a small unit of Warrior bodyguards, or a hilariously big waste of a Tyrant or Broodlord. Even then, a Warrior has way better things to do than hang in the back watching over a useful at best, middling at worst artillery piece.

Malanthrope.

My plan is to run a Spearhead for about 650pts. Malanthrope, 2 x Exocrines, Biovore unit (3). If I have Hive Guard from the primary detachment they can chill too.

-1 to hit is huge and only the Exocrines need LoS. They are going to do work, and hopefully I can get the Exocrines into cover too.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

TKIY posted:

Malanthrope.

My plan is to run a Spearhead for about 650pts. Malanthrope, 2 x Exocrines, Biovore unit (3). If I have Hive Guard from the primary detachment they can chill too.

-1 to hit is huge and only the Exocrines need LoS. They are going to do work, and hopefully I can get the Exocrines into cover too.

Not too bad of an idea, although I think it could benefit well from a small melee carpet to tie enemies up in melee. It doesn't have to be too big of a screen, but blocking a prospective enemy charge with just enough units to avoid being smacked down by pile-ins seems like it would come in handy. It also gives you a good chance of scoring Prey Adaptation off of the Malanthrope for army-wide 1 rerolls.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

The Bee posted:

I'm a bit iffy on the Easy to Build prices. Your average squad of tacticals is $4/model, and they aren't monopose and come with way more weapon options. For simple kits like this, I feel like $10 would've been the real ideal. Hell, that'd put these 6 Poxwalkers about on par with the current 5-man Cultist set pricewise, and put the other models more in scale with what you could expect from basic troop pricing.

The bundle for $40 I'm fine with, but considering my earlier analysis that's about what I'd value all of those models at combined anyway.

The models in First Strike add up to $60 not including the other stuff, plus buying the models direct from GW produces a $15 ceiling, so I would expect them to be dirt cheap on eBay.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The models in First Strike add up to $60 not including the other stuff, plus buying the models direct from GW produces a $15 ceiling, so I would expect them to be dirt cheap on eBay.

Most certainly.

The Bee posted:

I'm a bit iffy on the Easy to Build prices. Your average squad of tacticals is $4/model, and they aren't monopose and come with way more weapon options
Is GW coming out with multi-pose Primaris stuff though? I'm working on some AoS models and every single one is a monopose model. Less variation seems to be the way they're headed now.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

berzerkmonkey posted:

Is GW coming out with multi-pose Primaris stuff though? I'm working on some AoS models and every single one is a monopose model. Less variation seems to be the way they're headed now.

That way they can cut down costs! Right?

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

TKIY posted:

Reduce costs, raise prices. Capitalism 101

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

JesusIsTehCool posted:

Since you have already build models and enjoy it go hog wild on whatever. The strengths of 40k are the great fluff and the great models, the game is more or less an excuse to play space barbies with your friends. Its not balanced and likely never will be. If you can look past that and just enjoy your beautiful army in motion then any edition is a good starting place.

The only thing you should be careful about is that they are currently updating the space marine line, small marines will continue to be phased out and lose their value. On the one hand its a great time to start a new army as the new marines will likely stick around for 15+ years, on the other hand there is a smaller second hand market for new marines. If you are willing to wait like 6 months you could likely pick up whole armies of small marines for super cheap as people ditch them for big marines.

Cool, thanks. When I implement Primaris guys into my army I'll probably pretend they're just abnormally big marines.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

The pricing is a bit high; but the decision to go mono-pose for some of the dudes isn't a bad one. They're convenient and easy to assemble for those with little or no modeling experience. 8th seems to be all about accessibility; this fits right in

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Deified Data posted:

Cool, thanks. When I implement Primaris guys into my army I'll probably pretend they're just abnormally big marines.

They're the same base size (mostly) so it shouldn't be a big deal.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Hixson posted:

The pricing is a bit high; but the decision to go mono-pose for some of the dudes isn't a bad one. They're convenient and easy to assemble for those with little or no modeling experience. 8th seems to be all about accessibility; this fits right in

Yeah, I'm fine with that. If it's all monopose like Berzerk is saying, I'm less fine. Especially when a lot of the models in the AoS main hero range boil down to "C3PO holds his hammer up, and maybe tilted a bit." Space Marines would be so sterile if every single model boiled down to that as well.

I think an example of monopose done right is the Poxwalkers. No two models look the same, and each is oozing with character. I don't mind a lack of flexibility when each of these weirdo zombies has some love put into them, and even the Easy Build kit looks engaging. Compare to the Reivers, where you can envision at least 5 cooler poses for each of them.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

TKIY posted:

I would say the justification would be that it's more for entry level gamers who don't know how to put together a model. You still have a shitload of parts on the sprue (depending on the model,) and you're still paying for the guy to digitally cut the parts and the milling time required for the mold.

There is also the true cost of having to pay their in-house casting people a competitive wage, since they aren't outsourcing to China anymore. I know when I worked in a machine shop yeeears ago, the guy who would come in for a couple of hours a week to punch some coordinates into a milling machine made more than I did in a week, so, while the machine costs have gone down, I imagine that having a knowledgeable programmer isn't cheap.

The Bee posted:

Yeah, I'm fine with that. If it's all monopose like Berzerk is saying, I'm less fine. Especially when a lot of the models in the AoS main hero range boil down to "C3PO holds his hammer up, and maybe tilted a bit."
There's a bit more variation in the non-Stormcast line. The Orruks (ugh, I hate the new names) and Steam Dorfs are pretty varied in their poses, even though they're pretty static. I think it's more difficult for walking statues like SMs and Sigmarines though, since they don't really have personality to begin with.

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jul 6, 2017

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
I am physically capable of assembling a multi pose model but have no idea how to make it look good, so I like monopose but would be real happy with something in the middle.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Zaphod42 posted:

Yes??

Its a huge tonal shift.

Does this mean the other demon primarchs had their good selves splintered and implanted into some other marine too? Or is Magnus special? Can we stick his good part back into him and make him whole again? Its just goofy as hell.

Grey Knights chapter master fuses with Magnus and they form GoMagnus!

Warp Magic has rules. Tearing people's emotions out of their souls and planting that in somebody else was never an established 40k thing, and its super wishywashy.

It's just Magnus, it's a side effect of the psychic trauma he inflicted on himself breaking through the Emperor's warp wall on Terra. And yeah it is silly, if his sense of duty and nobility were left on Terra why was he willing to submit himself to Russ on Prospero?

I wouldn't be surprised if they retconned to not be an actual shard of his soul but a warp echo of his personality.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jul 6, 2017

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
Been working on some Shadow War terrain recently. There's a ton of detail on these, so I'm trying to put a bit more effort into them than I usually do. I'm still trying to keep the palettes relatively muted so the models pop in photos/on a quick table scan. So far, this is been fun enough that I may revisit my older, less-detailed terrain and pick out some more details on it.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

berzerkmonkey posted:

From BoLS:

Those kits are 3 models each for the SMs and the DG, 6 models for the Pox Walkers. Even though they're the monopose guys that come in the bog box, it's still a good price.

Does anyone know if the Know No Fear book is a true mini rulebook?

If this is the case, I wonder if Primaris squads will be able to be larger than what's listed in the small book included in Dark Imperium. I'd like to run not 3 man squads of Inceptors.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I really hope they don't use fixed pose models. It would be a major shift from previous lines and it's not like it's particularly difficult to have a Space Marine with sections.

It looks like the Primaris Captain has a bunch of options so I am curious as to how they turn out.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Zuul the Cat posted:

If this is the case, I wonder if Primaris squads will be able to be larger than what's listed in the small book included in Dark Imperium. I'd like to run not 3 man squads of Inceptors.

Looks like they will at least have the option to be smaller given the box has only three Intercessors.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Looks like they will at least have the option to be smaller given the box has only three Intercessors.

There was a 4-point, 3-Primaris detachment visible in the box set picture. Of course, you could also buy 3 sets of them and the Getting Started guide for a total of 10 more Intercessors.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

So Primaris players, how are they working out? Any tips or recommendations for someone interested in Bigmars?

If you play 'em, do it because they look cool. They're not particularly competitive. Even if their transport is as good as a Razorback, the units need options. They're hard to make tactically relevant when you can't specialize the squads into performing a specific battlefield role for you. Unless they can somehow start taking 2+ special weapons per squad, they're going to be relegated to just being models that kinda look cool but aren't any good. Tactical Marines are just far superior to Intercessors right now, and it's not even close. Not even a good transport will change that.

Now if they get wargear options in addition to a competitive transport, they'll be much closer. But as it stands, it's not worth the extra 54% point tax per model just to get an extra wound and a close combat attack. Same goes for the Libby and the Captain too (at least, at the moment). The Libby is closer, but the Captain being priced into a Power Sword as his best (only) close combat weapon option means he's just not great. Having an extra wound/attack over a regular Captain doesn't make up for the lack of weapon options. Even just a Relic Blade on a regular Captain makes it far more formidable in combat.

Hellblasters, on the other hand, are good. If the Primaris transport winds up being a competitive model, 5 Hellblasters in a Primobile will be a hell of a unit. Their guns are truly great.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug
Presumably we will have all these answers and more by end of the month come codex release. With how expensive, points-wise, the Primaris are already, can't say I'd want to pay 200 points for a single 10-man squad of intercessors unless they get some cool gear options.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

It looks like the Primaris Captain has a bunch of options so I am curious as to how they turn out.
If you mean the actual model, not really. You have the option of two different bolters and either a pointing hand or a power sword. That's it.

I hope it's not indicative of the options in the codex.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

Safety Factor posted:

You have the option of two different bolters and either a pointing hand or a power sword. That's it.

Ya, it doesn't look like there's much to choose from:

http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2017/07/40k-primaris-characters-rules-spotted.html

For their sake, I hope those are just the temporary rules that come in the blister pack for the moment, and they're not indicative of how they'll look once the Codex drops.

bonds0097 posted:

Presumably we will have all these answers and more by end of the month come codex release. With how expensive, points-wise, the Primaris are already, can't say I'd want to pay 200 points for a single 10-man squad of intercessors unless they get some cool gear options.

If you can even take 'em in squads of 10...

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I am glad my 40 Hellblasters are good, but I hope my 40 Intercessors and 18 Inceptors git gud. I refuse to use Tiny Marines, so I am at their mercy.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

WhiteWolf123 posted:

Ya, it doesn't look like there's much to choose from:

http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2017/07/40k-primaris-characters-rules-spotted.html

For their sake, I hope those are just the temporary rules that come in the blister pack for the moment, and they're not indicative of how they'll look once the Codex drops.

If you can even take 'em in squads of 10...

The release of the 3-pack raises the question whether the codex will allow larger than 5-man squads of intercessors, which is what I was alluding to.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
What would it take to make Primaris / Heresy-style Marines work on a 40k context? Would the basic bolter need to be way better for Intercessors more than warm bodies, or is the specialist/heavy too essential?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

The Bee posted:

What would it take to make Primaris / Heresy-style Marines work on a 40k context? Would the basic bolter need to be way better for Intercessors more than warm bodies, or is the specialist/heavy too essential?
30k legion tactical squads work because you have 10-20 of the idiots. They're cheap, ranging from 125 for 10 (with a sergeant) to 225 for 20 before upgrades. They also have a special rule allowing them to double-tap their guns, but they are then unable to fire in their next shooting phase and can not perform overwatch. They have the option of switching their bolters for chainswords or simply taking one in addition to their bolter and bolt pistol. There's a couple of other little upgrades too. The vexilla, basically a small banner, lets them re-roll failed morale checks and the nuncio-vox acts as a teleport homer and lets them spot for artillery. They are decent units on their own, but they really shine when they've got an attached apothecary for Feel No Pain and a support character like a chaplain or librarian can be a big force multiplier.

Basically, while 10-20 basic bolter marines may sound boring, there's a lot more going on there than it might seem. Their primary role is capturing objectives, obviously, but they can provide some solid weight of fire and are not too shabby in melee.

Safety Factor fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jul 6, 2017

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

The Bee posted:

They need to be able to hold objectives and not fold instantly in mid-range firefights. To do that they need either a more effective way to get around than walking, or a selection of weapons for various engagements. Preferably both. Tac squads do what they do because they are versatile, if you're gonna just be a bunch of dudes with line troop guns you need to be cheaper and more numerous to take real advantage of that.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

The Bee posted:

If they can carry multiple special weapons per squad and the transport winds up being reasonably competitive, they might wind up being as good as Tactical Marines. But even then, it's going to ultimately depend on their points cost. The extra wound (and melee attack, I guess) in the stat line is nice and all, but affordability and flexibility are key.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Safety Factor posted:

30k legion tactical squads work because you have 10-20 of the idiots. They're cheap, ranging from 125 for 10 (with a sergeant) to 225 for 20 before upgrades. They also have a special rule allowing them to double-tap their guns, but they are then unable to fire in their next shooting phase and can not perform overwatch. They have the option of switching their bolters for chainswords or simply taking one in addition to their bolter and bolt pistol. There's a couple of other little upgrades too. The vexilla, basically a small banner, lets them re-roll failed morale checks and the nuncio-vox acts as a teleport homer and lets them spot for artillery. They are decent units on their own, but they really shine when they've got an attached apothecary for Feel No Pain and a support character like a chaplain or librarian can be a big force multiplier.

Basically, while 10-20 basic bolter marines may sound boring, there's a lot more going on there than it might seem. Their primary role is capturing objectives, obviously, but they can provide some solid weight of fire and are not too shabby in melee.

That sounds really interesting, and really puts the Tactical in tactical marine. The vox in particular makes them really good spotters for bringing the rest of your army to bear, and I hope Primaris get something similar while GW insists on making bigmarines the Horus Heresy option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

Is anyone else running the Primarus Lieutenants? I have been using one and a Captain in Gravis Armor and I feel like they are pretty good, but I am a bad judge of things so I don't know :shrug: