Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Voyager I posted:

What I was trying to say is that effective politicians with viable careers weren't joining Trump's campaign because it was a trainwreck and nobody imagined there was any chance he could win. People who were willing to sign on with him were lovely politicians with no future and if Mike Pence ever actually has to do anything we may find out why that was the case.

I think we know already. He's a theocratic dullard with no principles but hypocrisy (Trump being hardly a paragon of Christian morality) and wanting very much to ban abortion and gay rights.

His contributions to the Trump administration seem to have been largely invisibility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Chilichimp posted:

Completely ignoring the fact that the press basically made freedom possible, because rich assholes who control everything tend to want to screw over poor people and hide the fact that they did it.

Rich people usual own the press, so that's a wash. But it's a great way to get people on your side or more importantly against something else. Our Founding Fathers used the press to spread anti-english propaganda and it worked great. We wouldn't be a country without free pamphlets and newsletters.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I can't fuckin' believe, like it hurts my mind, in just how open and evilly stupid people like Lepage and stuff are.

Oxxidation posted:

It was six hours ago.

There are a handful of exceptionally stupid/malicious "leftists" (in fact call to action is a full-on "kill the browns" isolationist and the other two were Trump voters) who cling rabidly to Gabbard for reasons unknown.

Haha, Jesus. She's cute, I guess. Maybe that's why they like her.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it's a tough call if impeachment or four years of trump would be more crippling to the party.

i still don't get the whole "we got trump for eight years!" he's going to get crushed in the next election.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Drifter posted:

Was this when Tulsi went to Syria to cheerlead for Assad's methods of governance or whatever?

It was just yesterday, but that was the topic, yes.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I agree that it's a problem but there are only the two options of A) Trump stays in the full 4 years or B) Pence/some other Republican takes over when Trump leaves.

We have already seen, as it has been mentioned before, that the GOP is on the verge of civil war between the HFC types and the Ryanites. This is not going to change. They put off a lot of these issues because Obama was in the WH and they could unite around just opposing whatever he did.

I actually think there's a third, best-case scenario: the Dems take the House in 2018, and possibly the Senate (I wouldn't hold my breath on that second part though), and Trump is relegated to lame duck status for the next four years. He may or may not be able to name a new SCOTUS judge, but the Republicans would have that ability between now and 2020 no matter what. In the meantime, though, he'd be reduced to his usual flailing around lamely, only now without a lock on Congress. In the meantime, the loss of the House would pour gasoline on the already-heating up GOP civil war, and the Republicans wouldn't have the benefit of the media going, "Phew, Trump's gone and now we have a sane president in Pence."

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Groovelord Neato posted:

it's a tough call if impeachment or four years of trump would be more crippling to the party.

i still don't get the whole "we got trump for eight years!" he's going to get crushed in the next election.

That's what I thought about W. W stole 2000 and there was no way he was going to win in 2004.

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

Groovelord Neato posted:

There's plenty to suggest the next election won't be conducted on fair terms. The people in charge are dragging their rear end on Russia trying to rig it and the party in power is actively pursuing an agenda to suppress the vote. That's why.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

JeffersonClay posted:

Yes, Trump the (non-figurative) martyr would be terrible news.

Hoping trump will die is dumb. Hoping the GOP is forced to remove him and destroy themselves in the process is smart.

Well, there is also the non-intrigue version of the 25th Amendment. The 25th Amendment has a provision for when it is contested, but it isn't necessarily going to be contested. If Trump had a heart attack and was in the hospital unconscious for two weeks, it would go into effect. And statistically speaking, a 71 year old man of his weight under a lot of stress...I mean, I am not cheerleading for this to happen, but it seems like it would have about a 5% chance a year of happening.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

JeffersonClay posted:

Yes, Drumpf the (non-figurative) martyr would be terrible news.

Hoping trump will die is dumb. Hoping the GOP is forced to remove him and destroy themselves in the process is smart.

It's also completely unnecessary. His lovely diet and lack of exercise means that doing what people have already been doing (stymying him, making fun of him, just plain pissing him off) makes the next 4 years into a numbers game.

Edit: Beaten.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/883064346519187456

Rhetoric getting really weird.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

BarbarianElephant posted:

I think we know already. He's a theocratic dullard with no principles but hypocrisy (Trump being hardly a paragon of Christian morality) and wanting very much to ban abortion and gay rights.

His contributions to the Trump administration seem to have been largely invisibility.

My suggestion is that there may be even more to it than what is immediately apparent that will emerge if he ever has to do more than stand behind someone else while they make a speech.

A President Pence trying to refight the lost battles of the culture wars with no following and no charisma would sure do a number on his party, though.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I do hope he takes more presidential cues from William Henry Harrison.

Except, instead of disease, he just gets bored during a speech and walks right off a cliff before him or his handlers realize what he's doing. Preferably this is televised live.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Groovelord Neato posted:

"NOOOOTHING MATTERSSSSSSSS!!!" :qq:

Is pretty much it. Even Dubya had more going for him at any given time.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Replacing Trump with Pence in a vacuum is a mixed bag. He's less transparently dumb & crazy than Trump so in theory he'd be a more effective rubber stamp, but he has no charisma at all and is still seriously loving stupid

But that's beside the point, because it wouldn't happen in a vacuum. Getting rid of Trump would almost certainly require a chain of events that would be disastrous for the GOP in general. Basically some combination of:

a) GOP blowout losses in 2018 mid-terms
b) Trump being so unpopular that congressional Republicans peel off from him to save their own hides, which is basically a GOP civil war scenario
c) Trump rage-quits or dies from too much KFC or something
d) 25th Amendment removal scenario, which is basically an appeal to magic at this point unless he has a massive stroke or something

Any combination of the things that make a Trump removal/departure possible are all horrible for the GOP. So everyone should be rooting for it, basically.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

It's getting real strange watching Trump play chicken with nationalist dog whistles.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Mendrian posted:

It's getting real strange watching Trump play chicken with nationalist dog whistles airhorns.

Fixed and all that.

Nationalist :siren: would also work.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Groovelord Neato posted:

I can't see Trump conceding or admitting he lost. They might have to invoke the 25th to get from election day until the next president being sworn in.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

guys i'm still lollin that hobby lobby bought artifacts from isis.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
100% of living presidents who lost the Electoral College remembered Poland :colbert:

alternatively gently caress it someone already posted "arbeit macht frei" but "jedem das seine" hadn't been yet

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Majorian posted:

I actually think there's a third, best-case scenario: the Dems take the House in 2018, and possibly the Senate ... and Trump is relegated to lame duck status for the next four years.
The bonus to this scenario is that Donald Trump would suddenly find himself almost powerless, no longer completely surrounded by Republican lackeys who praise and defend him, stuck in a job he hates, with people shooting down his demands non-stop.

It would be his own, personal Hell.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Groovelord Neato posted:

The only thing we have to go on right now is the historical precedent that incumbents have an edge at being re-elected. Until we know who the Dems are running I think it's premature to assume this doesn't apply to Trump, warts and all.

It's not necessarily doom-saying, just a precaution against embracing the "Trump can't win" narrative that doomed us last time.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

empty whippet box posted:

Sinteres posted:

Not wanting somebody to be half dead in a state of tortured existence due to a would-be assassin's bullet makes me too soft for the revolution I guess. Too bad. Are you consistent enough to favor torturing terrorists too, or just political opponents? I don't think torture is good in either case because I have this crazy idea that human rights matter.

Find something more worthwhile to handwring about.

The reasoned, moral opinion is hand-wringing? :ok:

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

The only way Trump would actually get impeached and removed from office is if the Dems are in power after 2018, so lame duck President Pence wouldn't really be anything to worry about.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Groovelord Neato posted:

guys i'm still lollin that hobby lobby bought artifacts from isis.

It wouldn't have necessarily been Isis at that point, probably either American mercenaries or the groups that eventually became Isis. But it's six one half dozen the other, either way they were paying their ill-gotten money to benefit bad groups in order to further their weird biblical jerk off session, and destroying not just Iraqi cultural heritage but our collective human cultural heritage into the bargain. As an archaeologist, poo poo like that makes my blood boil.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Groovelord Neato posted:

I've said it before, but a lot of people in this thread have absorbed every bit of right wing propaganda that exists but add "I hate it, but it's true" and view republicans as the real americans and republican values as real american values and trump as a winner who will always triumph.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Quorum posted:

It wouldn't have necessarily been Isis at that point, probably either American mercenaries or the groups that eventually became Isis. But it's six one half dozen the other, either way they were paying their ill-gotten money to benefit bad groups in order to further their weird biblical jerk off session, and destroying not just Iraqi cultural heritage but our collective human cultural heritage into the bargain. As an archaeologist, poo poo like that makes my blood boil.

at work today i was looking at lists of all the historical artifacts and locations isis and the saudis have destroyed and got real depressed.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

What the?
This is the guy who was happy for Brexit!
:psyduck:

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Hobo Clown posted:

The only way Trump would actually get impeached and removed from office is if the Dems are in power after 2018, so lame duck President Pence wouldn't really be anything to worry about.

The only way there is going to be an election in 2018 is if Trump is actually impeached and removed from office.

Ok, that's not literally true, there is also the possibility that he is innocent of anything meaningful. But if he is guilty of anything that would get a rich person jail time, then those complicit in preventing him being punished are not going to just leave office and join him in jail.

Normally, there are forces that would make an election happen on schedule against the will of the legislature. By definition, If Trump stays in office while guilty, then those forces have been defeated, and likely taken out the back and shot.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

JazzFlight posted:

What the?

He's a loving idiot.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

radmonger posted:

The only way there is going to be an election in 2018 is if Trump is actually impeached and removed from office.

Ok, that's not literally true, there is also the possibility that he is innocent of anything meaningful. But if he is guilty of anything that would get a rich person jail time, then those complicit in preventing him being punished are not going to just leave office and join him in jail.

Normally, there are forces that would make an election happen on schedule against the will of the legislature. By definition, If Trump stays in office while guilty, then those forces have been defeated, and likely taken out the back and shot.

Except you're forgetting a basic fact of our federal democracy. The states run elections. Trump can control the DOJ and the House enough to protect him and his organization but that doesn't mean their power extends to the states and their secretary of states, their attorneys general, their election processes.

Bogatyr
Jul 20, 2009
Bewildered again.
https://twitter.com/MaggieJordanACN/status/883043533556527104

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Lemming posted:

He's a loving idiot.

Yeah and I'd assume Bannon is feeding him this white nationalist rhetoric

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

"I'ma go stand over here, away from all the bulletproof glass"

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Please God just let him Leslie Nielsen himself off a cliff.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

JazzFlight posted:

What the?

He means """europe"""

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

And a young Republican Secretary of State making a stand for their voters and America over the party big wigs in Washington, well that's a mighty fine way to skip the line from SoS to Governor or Senator real quick.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

From the replies, but it looks he almost wandered off again.

https://twitter.com/VicBergerIV/status/883065551702167553

e - awww gently caress

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Data Graham posted:

"I'ma go stand over here, away from all the bulletproof glass"

Not seen: Secret Service agents drawing lots for who has to go protect him in out in the open

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

dear lord.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Pence is googling "25th amendment" for, as he says, "no particular reason".

• Locked thread