Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/882882854367232000

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Ugh my first game that got to late game has gotten too bogged down. It's like 2470 and it will be probably another 100 years of war before I can win. It's me + vassals and 2 other huge factions and although I am stronger it will a long while before I can grind them down. Think I might just start a new game as devouring swarm and see if that tickles my fancy.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013
Last night two AI controlled fleets of over a million strength crashed into each other and brought my computer to a standstill. Time to start a new one I think!

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

The most important change is here people

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Game of the century.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Thank god.

Nickiepoo posted:

Last night two AI controlled fleets of over a million strength crashed into each other and brought my computer to a standstill. Time to start a new one I think!

I gave up on a game after about 100 years because the War in Heaven event started and wound up with nearly the entire galaxy involved in a three way war. It was actually really good for me because I could pick off combatants, but it wasn't so hot for my CPU.

What's the actual CPU bottleneck during the end game? Would just dropping the number of AI empires do much to help? I've tried turning down habitable planets to .25, but unfortunately that doesn't seem to do anything to reduce the amount of resources available from mining stations, so I wound up seeing huge doom fleets anyways.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Jul 6, 2017

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Smaller map size definitely helps. Part of it is just after a while there's too much poo poo to calculate. I'm not sure fewer starting empires would help that much, as this happens when you get to the phase where everything is colonized and big fat death stacks are slamming into each other and moving around and such.

Anyhow, hive mind changes! Also traditions.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

HECK YEAH

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

GenericOverusedName posted:

Smaller map size definitely helps. Part of it is just after a while there's too much poo poo to calculate. I'm not sure fewer starting empires would help that much, as this happens when you get to the phase where everything is colonized and big fat death stacks are slamming into each other and moving around and such.

Anyhow, hive mind changes! Also traditions.

Some sharp-eyed person noticed something interesting: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru.../#post-23049896

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

GunnerJ posted:

Some sharp-eyed person noticed something interesting: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru.../#post-23049896

I'm going to guess they doubled the amount of levels and tweaked the bonuses so "normal" lifespan scientists will only probably get to level 5/6 and further benefits will be gained from experience gain traits. Probably means talented will be considered much better instead of a waste of time if it means you can reach level 7/8 as you skip level 2/3

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
Is there a fleet designer yet? I'm reading this thread all the time but it's been a while since I played.

A fleet designer, coupled with an empire-wide construction queue, and some kind of automation to replace lost ships would be amazing.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Alright folks, I've got my first vassal. Since the reason I invaded them was a sorta "look, rest of my federation, I know you hate these guys and want to overthrow their government but what if instead they get to keep doing what they're doing semi-autonomously while under my strict foreign policy supervision?", I'm very interested in keeping these guys happy and loyal and not looking like a giant idiot to the rest of the federation. What are my best options for ensuring they're a loyal subject, other than the usual of "waiting for the war penalty to dissipate" and "changing some of my policies to look less scary to them"? It looks like vassalage removes options for the kind of diplomatic deals that would normally be able to grind up trust quickly, but can I use a favorable-to-them trade deal to earn some of that trust? Does it matter for trust growth whether a trade deal is favorable to them?

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
You can give them gifts to provide a temporary boost, but the best way of ensuring their loyalty is being more powerful than them. If you have more ships, over time they'll trust you.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

Aethernet posted:

You can give them gifts to provide a temporary boost, but the best way of ensuring their loyalty is being more powerful than them. If you have more ships, over time they'll trust you.

Something about military strength leading to trust makes me want to post that old "point to the door" PUA quote.

Also, this is something weird I noticed: My migratory flock species tends to do way, way, WAY better than it did when this game first came out. I like having them around (partially because their empire name is "Grasshoppers Everywhere!" and I still find that amusing) so it's nbd, but something recently made them contenders on the galactic stage. Maybe it's because I've been playing with fewer planets? Though I'm not sure why that would work.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
Okay seriously gently caress this game. A neighbouring Science FE awoke, so I agreed to get vassalized. They then attack another neighbouring realm, and liberates half their provinces. Now for some reason I'M guaranteeing the new nation, and as I'm a vassal I can't cancel this. The AE THEN attacks the new nation, dragging me into a war against them, which we immediately lose and I'm annexed.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Is there a group of recommended mods or mod packs that someone could recommend to me? I haven't played with mods and have been sticking to vanilla to get achievements, but I gave up on that during the time when achievements were broken and not firing for anybody, so I'm just now getting back into the game after a friend of mine at Paradox gifted me Utopia.

I'm looking for something that will hopefully get rid of some of the more tedious bullshit in this game, primarily things like having to micromanage construction ships to go to each and every single loving system to build mining and research stations. I've never successfully finished a game because about 150 years in, I'm completely tired of ordering individual stations to be built in an empire that only gets bigger and adds more places to build stations.

Also cool would be any kind of mod that makes the game prettier and increases the galaxy size.

I spent about an hour looking through the Workshop last night but holy gently caress there are so many mods out there that I got completely overwhelmed and decided to call it a night, so I'm here asking for goon recommendations on ways to improve my spacemans game.

Unrelated note, this game makes me really, really wish that Stardock would loving make a new Sins of a Solar Empire already because that game is :discourse: in every way for a 4X game. It's a shame that the series seems to be pretty much dead now :(

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Does percentile increase to unity only increase the 1 base unity? Because that's what the tooltip seems to show...

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

If you sign the Materialist AE's peace treaty, they don't actually guarantee you, correct?

I finally got a fairly interesting series of crises going; I got off to a really lovely start, meaning I'm still relatively small, but there's now two AEs mucking about, one Materialist who triggered in response to my fleet strength, the other Xenophilic who triggered after the Unbidden appeared in the middle of my core worlds. I've just managed to stabilize the Unbidden situation, but my prospects of closing the portal any time soon do not look good. The Xenophilic protectors looking to protect the galaxy are currently mad as hell at me though and I'm a bit worried they're coming for me as soon as they finish their current war. I'd happily give up 25% of my research and my non-existent Synths for protection from the other AE, but the wiki suggests I wouldn't even get that.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Nosfereefer posted:

Okay seriously gently caress this game. A neighbouring Science FE awoke, so I agreed to get vassalized. They then attack another neighbouring realm, and liberates half their provinces. Now for some reason I'M guaranteeing the new nation, and as I'm a vassal I can't cancel this. The AE THEN attacks the new nation, dragging me into a war against them, which we immediately lose and I'm annexed.

Agreeing to be vassalized is a last resort type of thing. You give up almost all of your autonomy, in the hope that you can buildup your fleet enough to one day declare independence and fight off your former overlord. The diplomatic fuckery you got hit with is probably a bug though. Vassals shouldn't be guaranteeing anything, and should always side with their overlord when they have conflicting treaties.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Nevets posted:

Agreeing to be vassalized is a last resort type of thing. You give up almost all of your autonomy, in the hope that you can buildup your fleet enough to one day declare independence and fight off your former overlord. The diplomatic fuckery you got hit with is probably a bug though. Vassals shouldn't be guaranteeing anything, and should always side with their overlord when they have conflicting treaties.
You also can't go to war for independence while your overlord is at war, which is pretty loving annoying. I had a game where I took out my neighbour but messed up and lost too much of my fleet, so the advanced start on the other side decided to attack and I had to vassalize to survive. Spent the next little while building up and was just about equal on fleet power when he started integrating me and then within about 10 seconds declared war on a huge conglomerate on the other side of the galaxy. That war didn't end within 10 years so I just lost without being able to do anything.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
Yeah, waiting to declare independence while your overlord is involved in a distant and messy war seems like smart tactics, not an exploit.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
I'm guessing it's because of an underlying game system problem with being at war with someone when you're on their side in another war rather than being a balance decision, but it's still frustrating.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Is anyone using the mod in which galaxies can be created with as many as 3000 stars?

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jul 7, 2017

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Grouchio posted:

Is anyone using the mod in which galaxies can be created with as many as 3000 stars?

I've been playing on a 2000 star galaxy with 0.25 habitable planets, and it's pretty neat but unfortunately you end up with absurd amounts of space based resources. I wish that there was a second slider for that, too.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

misguided rage posted:

I'm guessing it's because of an underlying game system problem with being at war with someone when you're on their side in another war rather than being a balance decision, but it's still frustrating.

It's likely not an insoluable engine problem, EU4 allows you to attack your overlord while at war.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Grouchio posted:

Good god, the CPU lag when you hit even midgame on that size would be insane.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Space is great again.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Nevets posted:

My guess is what happened is that the overlord liberated the planets TO THE VASSAL (Awakened empires rarely take war goals for themselves for some reason). So rather than inheriting the FE's government type and ethics, they inherited from Nosfereefer's empire. Since they were liberated under him, he was the one guaranteeing them.

Not that this does him any good because as a vassal he couldn't just vassalize them, so he was just stuck with a useless treaty that hosed him over.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

misguided rage posted:

You also can't go to war for independence while your overlord is at war, which is pretty loving annoying.

What.

One game where I was a AE vassal, this is exactly how I won independence.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

WampaLord posted:

Good god, the CPU lag when you hit even midgame on that size would be insane.

I bet that if you dropped the amount of available resources that spawn across the galaxy alongside the number of planets it would probably wind up running decently. I'm hoping to test that out tomorrow, at least.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

misguided rage posted:

You also can't go to war for independence while your overlord is at war, which is pretty loving annoying.

Turns out you absolutely can, I did it about 2 hours ago. Real funny to wipe their fleets while they're dispersed to bombard nobodies.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

Well if two of you agree then I guess I'm the crazy one. I'm 100% sure it told me that I couldn't do that while they were at war and this was pretty recent, although maybe not the very latest patch.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

You definitely couldn't a couple months ago, I was able to ruin a goon MP game thanks to that little quirk :v:

Psycho Landlord fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jul 7, 2017

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
While yesterday's stream did contain some interesting tidbits, boy was it a masterclass in How Not To Get Women Interested in Videogames: Stellaris Edition. Wiz spent the entire stream telling his colleague what she should be doing, occasionally literally taking the mouse when she wasn't fast enough. The whole thing felt really awkward.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Aethernet posted:

While yesterday's stream did contain some interesting tidbits, boy was it a masterclass in How Not To Get Women Interested in Videogames: Stellaris Edition. Wiz spent the entire stream telling his colleague what she should be doing, occasionally literally taking the mouse when she wasn't fast enough. The whole thing felt really awkward.

I get what you're saying here, but the point of the stream is not To Get Women Interested in Videogames. We're trying to show off certain mechanics and get to a certain point in the stream, and we only have so much time to do it. I fully realize that I could have been more pedagogic, but I also have to keep the gameplay moving along. I think ideally we should have spent some more time off-camera practicing beforehand, but there wasn't really time for that either. I also wanted to leave her with an empire in a decently good place when I take off for the summer next week.

Wiz fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Jul 7, 2017

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Wiz posted:

I get what you're saying here, but the point of the stream is not To Get Women Interested in Videogames. We're trying to show off certain mechanics and get to a certain point in the stream, and we only have so much time to do it. I fully realize that I could have been more pedagogic, but I also have to keep the gameplay moving along. I think ideally we should have spent some more time off-camera practicing beforehand, but there wasn't really time for that either. I also wanted to leave her with an empire in a decently good place when I take off for the summer next week.

No wiz, it's clear you're part of the patriarchy, and we now need to smash you.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Kitchner posted:

No wiz, it's clear you're part of the patriarchy, and we now need to smash you.

In all honesty, I should probably have been less controlling. I was just really trying to get to a war and prep the empire for when she flies solo next week. If I wasn't going on vacation, we'd almost certainly have been co-oping instead, so she could learn at her own pace.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Wiz posted:

In all honesty, I should probably have been less controlling. I was just really trying to get to a war and prep the empire for when she flies solo next week. If I wasn't going on vacation, we'd almost certainly have been co-oping instead, so she could learn at her own pace.

This is fair, and it definitely got better towards the end of the stream. Although smash the Space Patriarchy, obvs.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013
A surprising omission to me right now is the inability to blow a planet straight-the-gently caress-up, given how much of a sci-fi trope that tends to be.

Balance reasons or future patch/expansion?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Nickiepoo posted:

A surprising omission to me right now is the inability to blow a planet straight-the-gently caress-up, given how much of a sci-fi trope that tends to be.

Balance reasons or future patch/expansion?

It'll come at some point for sure, but we kind of have to rework the war system for it to work balance-wise. Warscore system and free exploding of planets do not mesh well together.

• Locked thread