Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Cicero posted:

I'd say bay area techies are fiscally center-left as a whole, the libertopians are a small (but loud) minority.

The "fiscal center-leftism" of Bay Area techies is loving awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Cicero posted:

I knew/know a bunch of people who work at Google in Mountain View who live in SF. They do it because SF is a fun big city while the peninsula/south bay is basically surbubia. Guess which one is more attractive to affluent millenials?

As for the costs, SF is expensive, but living in MTV is...still pretty expensive. And the shuttle covers the commute cost, at least.

Then you would be wrong. I know this is D&D and a lot of posters here can barely control their raging hate-on for techies, but seriously, most people at Google are very socially liberal. Yes, they're also largely overachieving nerds, but for the most part they're not gonna have a problem with gay people or immigrants.

i'm literally a programmer but i am a gay woman and i literally see all day coworkers who are visibly uncomfortable around queer and minority coworkers. my assumption was that people go to the bay for the jobs and not the culture, especially given SF natives seem to think the techies are pushing them out and not participating in the community.

and anyone who would rather spend 2 hours a day on a shuttle instead of a 15 minute drive home is crazy to me. i'm not going out every night, i get more time with my family if i live close to work and take the long trip when i want the fun of the city.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
Oh but you see Bay Area traffic is so awful that it'll be 2 hours commute in suburbia too!

(This is in no way true, non-rush my commute is 15min each way and if for some reason I need to drive during rush hour I'll take the locals and it'll be 25-30. Bus is like an hour though.)

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Apparently I didn't post My Year At Github here?

Coraline Ada Ehmke posted:

One day a notification came to me that a repo for the open source developer survey had been created and that the survey questions were in progress. My director followed up with me to make sure that I was aware of the survey and asked me to review the questions. I worked my way through, and stopped short at one particular question: "What is your gender?" The multiple-choice options were "Male", "Female", and "Transgender". I was very disappointed at this 101 mistake, and sadly opened an issue referencing the question. The body of my issue read:

quote:

"'Transgender' is not a gender. Transgender people may be male, female, gender queer, non-binary... If you want to know if a survey respondent is transgender, you need to explicitly ask that question."
I left some other minor feedback on other questions, and resumed my regular work. The next day I got an urgent request for a call with my manager. She told me that the data scientist who had written the survey questions was very upset and had gone to her manager to complain about me. I asked my manager what had happened to upset her and was told that it was the feedback I provided on the gender question. I read back to her the body of the issue that I had opened and asked what I should have done differently. She responded that she didn't know, that my wording seemed direct but non-confrontational, but that I was forbidden to interact any further with the author of the survey.

Github eventually pushed her out for her "non-empathetic communication style". Read the whole thing.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

A lot of the programmers I knew coming up were the most liberal guy in their super-conservative suburb, and think that being Wiccan or going to Burning Man or whatever qualifies them as a minority. So yea, they think of places like SF or Austin are big ol gatherings of people like them. And they are, at least compared to the super-conservative suburb where they grew up.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Shugojin posted:

"Ourobourous" doesn't really lend itself very well to the "take out all the vowels" standard.
"oRoBoRoS" and "RBRS" are both things I would absolutely believe existed.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

cis autodrag posted:

I don't understand why all these programmers that work down in the valley want to live in SF anyway. It's way cheaper to live closer to your office, saving you money and commute, and you can still go into SF to do stuff when you want to. I can't imagine most dorkuses who program computer would be comfortable participating in most of the poo poo that SF is known for to begin with (chinatown, homosexuals, etc).

there's no affordable housing in the valley. people are dumb for living in sf over san jose or east bay tho

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

There is a bunch of land in the sf Bay Area with local communities eager for development and near transportation infrastructure. But you can't sell high price units on that lot so it remains empty. If you can't build the highest price units it isn't worth building because you can just go somewhere more expensive and get a better return.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Github eventually pushed her out for her "non-empathetic communication style". Read the whole thing.

For the sadly ironic part her manager opened up the performance review that lead to her firing after she had started going back to work after a traumatic experience. She had even asked for some time to decide if she had to take a medical leave on a Friday, and Monday starts with her manager opening the performance review.

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

quote:

I left some other minor feedback on other questions, and resumed my regular work. The next day I got an urgent request for a call with my manager. She told me that the data scientist who had written the survey questions was very upset and had gone to her manager to complain about me. I asked my manager what had happened to upset her and was told that it was the feedback I provided on the gender question. I read back to her the body of the issue that I had opened and asked what I should have done differently. She responded that she didn't know, that my wording seemed direct but non-confrontational, but that I was forbidden to interact any further with the author of the survey.

Yea, the data scientist went through management and she was barred from communicating with her further. Something upset that data scientist enough that she went to management for protection. Coraline is opinionated, direct and not exactly shy. I suspect she was way more confrontational here then her inner narrative will allow.

So she then gets a bad review, which was basically "you aren't doing reviews" (she says she wasn't asked and was trying to be respectful - but she also doesn't say she was proactive here) and have a history of doing things like what with the data scientist. This causes her to abuse her meds and be institutionalized, which she loving publicly documents on twitter. Given the option she then refuses medical leave. And then performs like poo poo, by her own admission, which leads to getting put on a PIP. A PIP of course being a loving death sentence anywhere for anyone, much less someone in their first year on a job.

What am I supposed to be taking away from this?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Buffer posted:

What am I supposed to be taking away from this?

That you're a lovely victim blamer, apparently.

perfluorosapien
Aug 15, 2015

Oven Wrangler

Arsenic Lupin posted:

That story gets dark at the end :smith:

The theme seems to be that Github management doesn't understand how to teach professionals to handle disagreements / adult conversations. Berating an employee for her (supposed) lack of empathy is just as bad as going after "lack of braininess" or "lack of character". It makes the problem about who she is instead of what she does. Those are much bigger problems, surely beyond the scope of a US employer/employee relationship unless there's already a huge base of trust (nope). If they were at all competent, they would address the actually-manageable problem by talking about concrete instances where her conduct caused problems and alternate techniques she could have used.

It's also weird that they built a team of activists to work specifically on social justice issues. Why not put the people from marginalized groups on core technology and give them a chance to establish some credibility? They can still sit on a working group that sets requirements for some positively-SJ-inclined white dudes who do the grunt work of writing junk like engagement surveys and first-time-contributor badges.

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.

WampaLord posted:

That you're a lovely victim blamer, apparently.

It's a workplace tragedy in three acts featuring some weird choices(like that apparently github put together a social justice league) but come on. Apart from the code review bit, which is profoundly hosed up, she took a single bad performance review that may have been unwarranted and wasn't listened to / respected as much as she'd like / might be appropriate. That last bit isn't exactly an uncommon tale, it's just not normally presented through this lens.

Her manager, the female lead of the social justice unit, apparently thought she was taking things too personally and was overly confrontational, but was working with her on it. Maybe she was wrong on this, but there were obviously interpersonal problems there, that seems pretty squarely presented.

Other than that she had a psychological emergency which involved abuse of her meds, offering paid medical leave is pretty loving progressive and if the employee refuses it, what the hell are you supposed to do? What was her manager''s problem here? What did she do wrong?

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
The stiltbus guys were charged with fraud.

http://www.npr.org/sections/parallels/2017/07/06/535625957/chinas-elevated-bus-project-seemed-too-good-to-be-true-and-it-was

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Buffer posted:

(like that apparently github put together a social justice league)

That's just it, GH got into mildly tepid water a few years back when a developer was harassed out of the company. They hired a batch of prominent activists with fat stacks and burned them out one by one. I'm surprised at anyone giving a company with a known-poo poo history as much of a charitable reading as you are, but presuming anyone in management wanted her to succeed takes some amazing leaps of faith.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

GitHub has a social justice league? I thought GitHub was a upload/download storage site.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

GitHub has a social justice league? I thought GitHub was a upload/download storage site.

It's a website for hosting Git repositories (in short, basically a way to make large collaborative programming projects easier) and organizing people/organizations involved. The company itself has a history of, and evidently still practices, a lot of the same culture issues associated with tech companies, though.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Buffer posted:

It's a workplace tragedy in three acts featuring some weird choices(like that apparently github put together a social justice league) but come on. Apart from the code review bit, which is profoundly hosed up, she took a single bad performance review that may have been unwarranted and wasn't listened to / respected as much as she'd like / might be appropriate. That last bit isn't exactly an uncommon tale, it's just not normally presented through this lens.

Her manager, the female lead of the social justice unit, apparently thought she was taking things too personally and was overly confrontational, but was working with her on it. Maybe she was wrong on this, but there were obviously interpersonal problems there, that seems pretty squarely presented.

Other than that she had a psychological emergency which involved abuse of her meds, offering paid medical leave is pretty loving progressive and if the employee refuses it, what the hell are you supposed to do? What was her manager''s problem here? What did she do wrong?

"Lack of empathy" is unquantifiable - unless someone is being outright hostile or not responding, differences in communication styles are simply a fact of life. HR/Management should have backed her up with the data scientist, if her initial response was as quoted. Otherwise, "lack of empathy" eventually turns into "you didn't think me or apologize to me for 6 paragraphs for your statement, preempting what you're about to say." Direct communication in a work environment is good. Saying "Thanks" or "I appreciate it" is polite, but not required.

And yes, the code review part is completely hosed up. But if her PIP focused on her interpersonal communication and didn't give her concrete feedback on how to improve, it was equally hosed up and simply a way for management/HR to remove what they considered a thorn in their side.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
I've been guilty of reading the tea leaves before

pangstrom posted:

Yeah, not going to claim that other tech places are great in those respects at all but goddamn that sounds 1) awful and 2) very credible/authoritative.
but those tea leaves are basically inkblots.

Buffer
May 6, 2007
A PIP means you're fired. No one ever comes back from one anywhere I've ever worked. She was gone the second she got put on one.

JawnV6 posted:

That's just it, GH got into mildly tepid water a few years back when a developer was harassed out of the company. They hired a batch of prominent activists with fat stacks and burned them out one by one. I'm surprised at anyone giving a company with a known-poo poo history as much of a charitable reading as you are, but presuming anyone in management wanted her to succeed takes some amazing leaps of faith.

I remember, and senior management, sure - just well, we're talking about a line manager here. The line manager they chose for this team that was supposed to put together activists and help fix that. The manager that was going to be judged on the success or failure of this effort and who went from believing in her enough to hire her and somewhat had her back to shitcanning her in less than a year. I mean the failure here is that managers - whomever she may be - I'm just not sure what it is.

I also don't think my view is particularly charitable. It's basically she was perceived as a troublemaker / confrontational, her manager somewhat agreed but was working with her on it(I mean that was part of why she was hired, but I can see her crossing into the unprofessional here). Then she had bad times, was offered medical leave to go get her poo poo together, refused it, and then when she stopped cutting it as a developer welp.

You don't generally offer people paid medical leave if you just want to get rid of them, you don't hire people you want to fail, and if someone lasts less than a year it's a personal failing of yours. Maybe I'm assuming too much competence, I don't know.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
GitHub was plainly lovely and hosed up. I also think the pip was ginned up bullshit. But I also harbour the notion she's not as completely blameless *at the start of things.* Oh poo poo, people are commenting on her stuff at a high rate! The horror!

The gender question on the quiz was just...wow, though.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Buffer posted:

A PIP means you're fired. No one ever comes back from one anywhere I've ever worked. She was gone the second she got put on one.
Ok, I wanna take your stance on this arbitrary point on the line. Consider how obvious it is from the introduction of the PIP that she's on the way out. See how some folks assume an even MORE charitable impression than you?

Avenging_Mikon posted:

I also think the pip was ginned up bullshit.

Shooting Blanks posted:

But if her PIP focused on her interpersonal communication and didn't give her concrete feedback on how to improve, it was equally hosed up and simply a way for management/HR to remove what they considered a thorn in their side.
See how credible these rubes are? Like there was some magic way to meet the PIP goals and continue employment? I think your assumption that her employment went south following the bad review is similarly credible. She was set up to fail much, much earlier.

Buffer posted:

I remember, and senior management, sure - just well, we're talking about a line manager here. The line manager they chose for this team that was supposed to put together activists and help fix that. The manager that was going to be judged on the success or failure of this effort and who went from believing in her enough to hire her and somewhat had her back to shitcanning her in less than a year. I mean the failure here is that managers - whomever she may be - I'm just not sure what it is.

I also don't think my view is particularly charitable. It's basically she was perceived as a troublemaker / confrontational, her manager somewhat agreed but was working with her on it(I mean that was part of why she was hired, but I can see her crossing into the unprofessional here). Then she had bad times, was offered medical leave to go get her poo poo together, refused it, and then when she stopped cutting it as a developer welp.

You don't generally offer people paid medical leave if you just want to get rid of them, you don't hire people you want to fail, and if someone lasts less than a year it's a personal failing of yours. Maybe I'm assuming too much competence, I don't know.
Yeah, *I* don't offer folks paid leave if I just want to get rid of them, nor hire folks I want to fail. But I think VC-doped techbro management might have done the math that ~$1M on hiring a few vocal engineers, which iirc DID make a splash in my circles that they were really trying to change things!!, then setting them up to fail in 1~3 years depending on tenacity would be cheaper and easier than a PR campaign or actually changing things.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

JawnV6 posted:

She was set up to fail much, much earlier.

In that they hired someone who already had a personal history with github which would cause extra stress and pitfalls? Cause reading through that blog and taking it as truth, I still came away thinking the blame was roughly even between github, herself, and the fact that she was working there in general.

Though I think hiring people to be "internal activists" is also a terrible idea, because the activist mindset is not good for changing a culture from the inside. So if you wanna blame github for that I'd agree.

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Oh poo poo, people are commenting on her stuff at a high rate! The horror!

That would totally suck no matter who you are. It's pretty awful that their internal practices allowed that to happen in the first place. OTOH a blaze of publicity for new hires on an extra-special team is a great was to put a lot of added attention on them, even from the ones who aren't bigots.

Buffer
May 6, 2007

JawnV6 posted:

Ok, I wanna take your stance on this arbitrary point on the line. Consider how obvious it is from the introduction of the PIP that she's on the way out. See how some folks assume an even MORE charitable impression than you?

See how credible these rubes are? Like there was some magic way to meet the PIP goals and continue employment? I think your assumption that her employment went south following the bad review is similarly credible. She was set up to fail much, much earlier.

I don't think it went south at the bad review, it went south far earlier than that, the review was just a precipitating event for her medical issue. She was out the door when they put her on a PIP, and she was put on the PIP ostensibly because of actual poor performance(because of, you know, the medical issue) plus her rebuffing her manager's offer of medical leave.

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

Buffer posted:

I can't speak to the places you've worked, but this is not true every where. I've seen two people come back from PIPs and managed a third who did as well. It does fully depend on management and the company doing some introspection to see where they hosed up and if it is fixable though. As someone in management, I tend to view have to have someone let go as a failure on my part. Also having seen railroading happen, particular with resistance to new changes or regimes, it looks like this from what she stated. Of course, we also haven't heard GitHubs side. But they have a strong negative history on this, so I'm going to view this as a lesson to be learned.

Although I do agree with you on her not taking offered medical leave. Her therapist told her she needed to get back into routine, but work was going in a direction that was distinctly not routine. *shrug* We have incomplete knowledge of the situation, and I'm wandering off topic now, but to my core point. You can come back from a PIP if you want to and management wants you to as well. That can just be really rare.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Buffer posted:

I personally have gone through one and come out the other side a much improved worker. In my case, it was a good experience and a wake up call that made me a much better engineer.

The subtext I got from the article is that the author did have legitimate and numerous communication issues. It's disappointing that the author did not get appropriate feedback from their manager, and it's also disappointing that their manager wasn't interacting with them in good faith, but that's actually almost the same treatment that I ran into with a manager that I worked under who was new to management and not used to differing communication styles. Unfortunately, engineers aren't really trained in communication, even though we really need to be (and I later got said training, which was very helpful), especially since we tend to be more introverted folks who aren't as good at communication to start with. The situation wasn't handled well by the manager, but I'd personally put more blame on the manager rather than the entire company. It's also possible that coworkers weren't happy with the author's performance, and the poor communication had poisoned the well thoroughly enough that improvement was too little too late.

That all being said, it is a techbro silicon valley company, so there's even odds that bullshit was being pulled regardless.

Edit: I think the most telling anecdote is the whole PIP thing. The manager complained about the author's conduct during team meetings, and the author didn't even acknowledge what happened during those meetings. They were talking directly past each other, which is honestly something that is the fault of both parties.

Dirk the Average fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Jul 7, 2017

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Buffer posted:

At Google at least I've heard several stories of people coming back from them, and even being promoted eventually.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

ShadowHawk posted:

At Google at least I've heard several stories of people coming back from them, and even being promoted eventually.

It seems like a PIP is basically the formal method of slapping someone in the face and telling them to fix their poo poo immediately but like with that you'll find the vast majority of people are so deeply rooted into who/what they are that they aren't going to improve or strive for better once they get shamed. Of course like others have said it also seems like an easy way to tag an employee for soon to be firing based on not liking them especially in SV/Techbro run companies.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

ShadowHawk posted:

Google has been around since 1998, and IPO'd in 2004. While young for such a large company, have had enough time to mature into a company that actually behaves like a real corporation. That's part of why the issues at Amazon are so surprising, it's a larger company that's also been around for a long time, I at least would have expected them to have a more mature organization, and the issues that have been published at Amazon are far less insidious than at places like Uber and Github.

Part of developing an inclusive, supportive culture is having enough different businesses/product lines to avoid groupthink or old boy style corporate cultures. When a company has one product, or a couple variants of one product, and 90% of the employees are white, male, and in their 20's/early 30's, it's easy for that environment to develop into one where the 90% becomes convinced of their righteousness, and single out anyone that doesn't agree with them vociferously as an outsider. It's simple exclusion, from idea to skin color to age to gender to politics. And it's not unique to Silicon Valley.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
I generally agree but you're doing that thing again where someone asserts that SV techies are mostly/disproportionately white when it's not true. Asians: they're also a thing.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

edit: loving thing
https://twitter.com/justkelly_ok/status/883104054896861185

curufinor
Apr 4, 2016

by Smythe
friend of mine 'won' the left top -> bottom right diagonal

also fourth column

curufinor
Apr 4, 2016

by Smythe

hoffman is pro-like-70%-communism-now, to the best of my knowledge
he just can't say poo poo cuz he has too much money to say poo poo like that and not be completely reasonably viewed as a loving class traitor

i think pincus is awful libertarian-democrat, tho

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

I am furious that there is not a "Non-apology 'apology'" square, for all those "I'm sorry if anyone was offended" and "I apologise to anyone who may have witnessed the rape/assault/beating" copouts.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Cicero posted:

I generally agree but you're doing that thing again where someone asserts that SV techies are mostly/disproportionately white when it's not true. Asians: they're also a thing.

Click around. Overwhelmingly white, overwhelmingly male. It's true there are more Asians than other ethnicities, but white people still dominate. Lol at those "manager" and "sales worker" lines.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
That data seems to show they're about as white as the US as a whole? And if you look at the companies people actually associate with Silicon Valley like Google or Facebook I think they're less white than average.

I agree that if you're talking about executives explicitly then yes they're disproportionately white.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Dirk the Average posted:

The subtext I got from the article is that the author did have legitimate and numerous communication issues. It's disappointing that the author did not get appropriate feedback from their manager, and it's also disappointing that their manager wasn't interacting with them in good faith, but that's actually almost the same treatment that I ran into with a manager that I worked under who was new to management and not used to differing communication styles.
If a developer sends an email that is described as too confrontational, and the manager can't explain what she did wrong, I kind of doubt that the problem's on the developer.

Klyith posted:

In that they hired someone who already had a personal history with github which would cause extra stress and pitfalls? Cause reading through that blog and taking it as truth, I still came away thinking the blame was roughly even between github, herself, and the fact that she was working there in general.

Though I think hiring people to be "internal activists" is also a terrible idea, because the activist mindset is not good for changing a culture from the inside.
If you have a corporate culture that is notoriously hosed-up, and Github has form on this one, you hire an outsider because efforts to change the culture from the inside have already failed. And the idea that activism keeps you from making change is pretty much 180 degrees off. You don't get change by suggesting "Gee, I think this might be a problem", you get change by saying "Here's a problem, and here's how we have to change it."

Being an activist is necessary but not sufficient; in many cases the hiring company (A) wants a rubberstamp to continue what they're doing and (B) resents the activist for being alive, far less an employee.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

yurtcradled posted:

That story gets dark at the end :smith:

The theme seems to be that Github management doesn't understand how to teach professionals to handle disagreements / adult conversations. Berating an employee for her (supposed) lack of empathy is just as bad as going after "lack of braininess" or "lack of character". It makes the problem about who she is instead of what she does. Those are much bigger problems, surely beyond the scope of a US employer/employee relationship unless there's already a huge base of trust (nope). If they were at all competent, they would address the actually-manageable problem by talking about concrete instances where her conduct caused problems and alternate techniques she could have used.

It's also weird that they built a team of activists to work specifically on social justice issues. Why not put the people from marginalized groups on core technology and give them a chance to establish some credibility? They can still sit on a working group that sets requirements for some positively-SJ-inclined white dudes who do the grunt work of writing junk like engagement surveys and first-time-contributor badges.

There are legit reasons why you don't want to put a bunch of people from disadvantaged groups into jobs where they're expected to be 40+ hour/week technical contributors and solve the company's diversity problems. Either they'll rebalance to lower their technical output (leading to "but they're not as good/not as hard working/just got the job as a diversity hire" complaints from the majority groups), or try to do it all. If they do try to do it all, it'll lead to some combo of fast burnout and "while I was sitting on the diversity group, the white guy on the team was doing a spare-time project to solve some internal problem, presenting it at a major conference, and now he's promoted to senior SDE over me because he's obviously more technically gifted than me".

As for Github, it sounds like the core problem is that they had a tenth grade history model of activism: MLK marches with a bunch of people to the capitol, raises awareness by politely saying, "hey, we don't have rights, could you fix that oversight," and the people in power say, "gosh, we'd never thought of that, sure!" They expected to hire an "internal activist" team, who would then politely say, "What do we want? A measured list of easy-to-implement objectives we sent in an email! When do we want it? We understand you've got a lot to get to, but is Friday OK!"

The PIP thing is obvious bullshit. In some places it's "keep this up and you're fired, but we're giving you a genuine chance to stay on," in other places it's a corporate CYA and an ironclad guarantee that you'll get your pink slip in six months, but it's always a notice that the company plans to fire you. If somebody's dealing with a medical issue that keeps them from working at their full potential, then a PIP is useless, because the "improvement plan" is going to read "1. Deal with the medical issue that's preventing you from working at your full potential," and the idea of a PIP is kinda useless.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Space Gopher posted:

If somebody's dealing with a medical issue that keeps them from working at their full potential, then a PIP is useless, because the "improvement plan" is going to read "1. Deal with the medical issue that's preventing you from working at your full potential," and the idea of a PIP is kinda useless.

I don't see how a PIP is useless in that case. It's a measurable goal to perform at the level you were hired to perform at/formerly performed at. Medical leave was even offered. I'm not sure what responsibility an employer is supposed to have when someone can no longer do the job they were hired to do and insists on showing up to work to perform badly and causes additional load on the rest of the team because of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:

This is two people. There seems to be a weird amount of extrapolation about the tech world based off of the behavior of top level executives like Kalanick and Elon Musk. And there's a whole tech/startup world beyond the Bay.

There's a defacto socialist contingent at my company . I don't think it's representative or anything but I'm pretty skeptical of what people project as "techie politics"

LinYutang fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jul 7, 2017