Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

Arcsech posted:

why doesnt this guy ever find earthshattering oh-poo poo vulns on like, monday morning or something

always like thursday or friday afternoon

we find it's always better to release details on a friday. studies have statistically shown that there's less chance of an incident if you do it at the end of the week

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

sysadmins work weekends when paged, attackers like to party

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

any bets on what type of software this one's in?

i'm guessing it's in a popular VPN client since he hasn't really looked at those yet and openvpn has been getting audits lately. if it is it's going to be Real Bad

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

does he do mobile? apseudonym? he should do mobile

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
i think it's going to be another ms defender exploit

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

MacOS airdrop? Chrome's webm container handling? a fuzzer for DHCP? some obscure but enabled-by-default USB-over-SCSI-over-IP protocol? outlook?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Number19 posted:

any bets on what type of software this one's in?

i'm guessing it's in a popular VPN client since he hasn't really looked at those yet and openvpn has been getting audits lately. if it is it's going to be Real Bad

That's a strange guess, what makes you say that?

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

"The evil bit is real," Tavis said in his CVE earlier. "RFC 3514 is real, and strong, and he's my friend."

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

spankmeister posted:

That's a strange guess, what makes you say that?

nothing other than it being hilarious to see another type of software crumble under his gaze

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

something dumb that shouldn't exist like minesweeper being able to change your mbr when running as a standard user.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender
code:
15:44 < user1> company doing pentest on us is pissed at us.. one of our engineers uploaded
                their 0day exploit to virustotal and MSFT picked it up and tweeted about it
15:45 < user2> lmao
15:46 < user3> hahahahaha rekt.
15:46 < user4> Oops
15:46 < user4> Where's the tweet?
15:46 < user3> Of all the poo poo ways to burn an 0day.
15:46 < user3> That's probably the worst
15:49 < user1> [link to tweet]
15:49 < user1> MSFT picked it up from virustotal
15:49 < user1> and tweeted about it.. all in a span of about 25 minutes
https://twitter.com/JohnLaTwC/status/883057609023959040

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
I'm new to following security stuff, but I like Tavis. He's good. Think he'll be my friend?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Lain Iwakura posted:

code:
15:44 < user1> company doing pentest on us is pissed at us.. one of our engineers uploaded

:lol::lol:

https://twitter.com/loneferret/status/883084028546568192

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Lain Iwakura posted:

code:

:perfect:

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

Lain Iwakura posted:

code:

What's "0 day" about this, it looks like some run of the mill macro poo poo

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

Rufus Ping posted:

What's "0 day" about this, it looks like some run of the mill macro poo poo

no idea

Daman
Oct 28, 2011
downloaded the sample off VT, definitely nothing 0day. maybe the binary it downloads and runs was cool?

more likely that pentesters aren't using 0day

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
if you're doing a pentest how do you expect to be able to stop your client from uploading suspicious poo poo to virustotal or whatever

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

anthonypants posted:

if you're doing a pentest how do you expect to be able to stop your client from uploading suspicious poo poo to virustotal or whatever

Also isn't doing pentesting with bespoke 0days kind of missing the point?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I don't know if this user1 has any infosec knowledge or anything but it seems to me they dont actually know what an 0day is.

0day is becoming one of those terms that gets thrown around without people knowing what it really means, just yesterday I was talking to some non-techies about wannacry and nyetya and one of them thought and 0day was a backdoor and persistence mechanism.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

gonadic io posted:

pentesting with bespoke 0days is the kind of thing only badasses able to charge the client 10x do. We're delivering bespoke 0days to test your org. Sign here.

please ignore this means the hash of our python script isn't in virustotal

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

spankmeister posted:

I don't know if this user1 has any infosec knowledge or anything but it seems to me they dont actually know what an 0day is.

0day is becoming one of those terms that gets thrown around without people knowing what it really means, just yesterday I was talking to some non-techies about wannacry and nyetya and one of them thought and 0day was a backdoor and persistence mechanism.

an app idea - 0dayr, crashes your phone on activation

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

The fidget spinner of prosumer cyber.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

cinci zoo sniper posted:

an app idea - 0dayr, crashes your phone on activation

You could probably find a venture capitalist ready to invest 10 mil into this. Just change "crashes" to "disrupts", make some vague noises about monetisation strategy, and you're golden.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

communism bitch posted:

You could probably find a venture capitalist ready to invest 10 mil into this. Just change "crashes" to "disrupts", make some vague noises about monetisation strategy, and you're golden.

what if we pay users if they can actually load into it, but they pay us for each disruption suffered to make for an immersive ransomware experience?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

But enough about android

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

gonadic io posted:

there are orgs that get pentested to this degree, mainly ones with nation states after them already

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

I'm going over the OpenSSL docs to review their cipher support (schannel/openssl configbomb incoming)

:words:

Hey, these are actually really neat! Do you mind also handling libressl as well? Thanks!

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

there are orgs that get pentested to this degree, mainly ones with nation states after them already

While there's a lot of value to "if you've got an exploit against this target, how much lateral movement do you get to non-vulnerable targets, and how quickly is the intrusion identified?", I don't see what you get by using actual 0-days rather than just, say, giving the pentesters local root on a particular box to jump off from.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

spankmeister posted:

i got a little grouchy with some people at work who used the phrase "published zero days" in a memo.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
seems like a good way to know who even knows what a 0day is is people who call it an "oh-day" vs. "zero day"

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

communism bitch posted:

Just keep all your passwords in a word file on your desktop titled "passwords" like my dad.

i needed the root password to this new public-internet-facing VM someone had set up and noticed the guy had a habit of mailing passwords in emails (there were several earlier in the email chain) so i ask him to give me the password another way that's more secure than email

he just sends it to me on slack and tells me "oh good idea suggesting we be secure and not put this in an email!" :negative:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Cocoa Crispies posted:

seems like a good way to know who even knows what a 0day is is people who call it an "oh-day" vs. "zero day"

if you ever say it "zero day" to a british person you'll be laughed out into the loving oblivion. do you also "zero" when dictating a phone number with 0 in it?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

james bond, agent double zero seven

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Text me

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Jabor posted:

While there's a lot of value to "if you've got an exploit against this target, how much lateral movement do you get to non-vulnerable targets, and how quickly is the intrusion identified?", I don't see what you get by using actual 0-days rather than just, say, giving the pentesters local root on a particular box to jump off from.

its a good way to test realistic intrusions against your generic mitigations to see if you actually can limit the spread or other damage beyond the unknown effects of the 0day. like if they can get into a box with the exploit but then you have mitigations that prevent them from escaping the machine/container/other jail, they might be able to gently caress up whats in that container but you can prove the efficacy of your other mitigations.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

I was catching up on all the LE sperging when I thought "I should post 'Is cloudflare still a comically bad pile of poo poo? I haven't been keeping up since taviso publicly poo poo all over them'" and then, like whoa, he appears in the thread!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

mrmcd posted:

I was catching up on all the LE sperging when I thought "I should post 'Is cloudflare still a comically bad pile of poo poo? I haven't been keeping up since taviso publicly poo poo all over them'" and then, like whoa, he appears in the thread!

wait did tavis actually post in the thread and i missed it or do you just mean that tweet

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

ate all the Oreos posted:

wait did tavis actually post in the thread and i missed it or do you just mean that tweet

The tweet.

AFAIK he doesn't post here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

mrmcd posted:

AFAIK he doesn't post here.

i thought maybe he had started because we're all smart attractive people?

i can dream :sigh:

• Locked thread