Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
So here is some exceptional multimedia storytelling. I had to check and see if it was written by SwiftOnSecurity at first.

https://www.sbnation.com/a/17776-football/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Solitair posted:

I'm halfway through Ninefox Gambit myself, and even though I don't know what exactly their calendrical magitech is supposed to symbolize or how it works, I get what's happening and where the characters are coming from.

Oh poo poo. I didn't know that it wasn't him writing it.

Well I am sure he contributed, but given GRRM's proclivities recently this blurb from Amazon

quote:

In a collaboration that’s been years in the making, Martin has teamed with Elio M. García, Jr., and Linda Antonsson, the founders of the renowned fan site Westeros.org—perhaps the only people who know this world almost as well as its visionary creator.

Makes me think it was mostly these two writing/worldbuilding gaps in GRRM's story. (Maybe even pillaging them from the forums proper written by others) and he just was like "cool if I write a few short stories/notes, we can slap my name on it and we can make some money".

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I'm looking for a new fantasy epic to read. I've already read Malazan and Wheel of time.

SSJ_naruto_2003 fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jul 6, 2017

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

I'm looking for a new fantasy epic to read. I've already read Malazan and Wheel of time.

Bakker
:canofworms:

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Cardiac posted:

Bakker
:canofworms:

The new book arrived today, he doesn't mention rape until page 27!

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Kesper North posted:

So here is some exceptional multimedia storytelling. I had to check and see if it was written by SwiftOnSecurity at first.

That was pretty drat neat.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

First Law

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Strom Cuzewon posted:

The new book arrived today, he doesn't mention rape until page 27!

Was that after or before the cannibalism and the incest? I can't remember.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Does Book of the New Sun count as fantasy? Or epic?

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Kesper North posted:

President Trump followed by Tom Cotton followed by Tulsi Gabbard. :gonk:

You get a completely different perspective on that as the story progresses though!

Very neat, thoroughly enjoyable, even if I don't know anything about American football.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Cardiac posted:

Was that after or before the cannibalism and the incest? I can't remember.

Before one, after the other.

The body horror/religious fervour mix is hitting home a lot harder than his earlier books. The writing is overwrought as gently caress still, but Proyas is just a delight.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

StrixNebulosa posted:

Yes. This post is accurate. I'm rereading Chanur's Venture right now and it's the kind of breathless plotting and writing that has me staying up an hour late to turn pages. But touch anything early in her career and it gets... uncomfortably dark/difficult to read - like, it's interesting, but so bleak. And read too late in her career and something's light, not quite as tight as it could be. I will say that one of the sequences in one of the latest atevi books was so good I immediately forgave the occasional slogs, so she hasn't lost the touch, but it's now wrapped up in how much she loves the atevi - which I do, sometimes, and I don't, sometimes. (...I'm probably going to reread the entire sequence again in a few years, sucker that I am for her writing style.)

Oh hey, someone else who pulls out books to re-read favourite scenes. :kimchi:

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

ToxicFrog posted:

I do that. I've read the arena fight scene in Red Country more times than I care to admit. It's short and to the point but oh so wonderful.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

That but the entire book that involves the Chain of Dogs

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I reread Deadhouse Gates for the first time a little while ago. The book is even better the second time round. And somehow even more soul crushing.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Solitair posted:

Does Book of the New Sun count as fantasy? Or epic?

Yes.

Read that one, SSJ_naruto_2003

Copernic
Sep 16, 2006

...A Champion, who by mettle of his glowing personal charm alone, saved the universe...

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saga_of_Pliocene_Exile

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

my bony fealty posted:

Yes.
Book of the New Sun

Thanks.

I think I actually have a hard copy of Book of the New Sun around here... I found it at a thrift store iirc.

Loutre
Jan 14, 2004

✓COMFY
✓CLASSY
✓HORNY
✓PEPSI

Strom Cuzewon posted:

The body horror/religious fervour mix is hitting home a lot harder than his earlier books. The writing is overwrought as gently caress still, but Proyas is just a delight.

I'm 2 books behind counting this newest one. I spent the last month rereading the first 5, and... I just can't bring myself to keep going. The good parts (the parts where actual things that matter happen) are like 1 page out of 50.

Just started Downbelow Station instead after seeing it mentioned in this thread a few times. Liking it a lot so far.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

my bony fealty posted:

Yes.

i feel this is not an appropriate recommendation for someone seeking out something in the mould of epic fantasy. it is, however, an excellent general recommendation (although my starter Wolfe recommendation is always The Fifth Head of Cerberus, which is much more digestible. It does lack a bit for the beautiful imagery, though the prose is characteristically excellent, but a lot of the sci-fi ideas Wofle describes through the flowery language in the New Sun is going to be lost on those not into sci-fi anyway.)

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Strom Cuzewon posted:

It was more a jab about the fact that most seem upset about specifically the rapes in Bakkers books, but are apparently not that concerned about torture, genocide, cannibalism, massmurder and all other atrocities performed in the series.
It is basically atrocities the whole way down.

I am rather exhausted by the whole series and should really read something lighter next time.

rmdx
Sep 22, 2013

To all who're pining for more Alliance-Union, Cherryh has Alliance Rising coming out after the next Atevi book.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

rmdx posted:

To all who're pining for more Alliance-Union, Cherryh has Alliance Rising coming out after the next Atevi book.

Holy poo poo.

Wake me up, I'm dreaming. She doesn't write anything but atevi stuff anymore - !

e: oh my god it's real it's on her blog, there's a wordcounter, she's written most of it! Thank you!

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

I can't tell if this is a joke post. I actually have all those books but I'm sure they're long since out of print. They're pretty pulpy from what I recall. I would put them above Dragonlance/Forgotten Realms stuff but that's not saying much.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Kesper North posted:

Is this not done yet? I'm really enjoying it but have come up against a "to be continued bit."

Also this is weird for me because I used to kick about on a forum with the author in the mid-2000s when I was a teenager, and I'd completely forgotten about that until now. The idea of having an internet past is weird.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

freebooter posted:

Is this not done yet? I'm really enjoying it but have come up against a "to be continued bit."

Nah - only 4 parts up out of what looks like 5 total.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

freebooter posted:

Also this is weird for me because I used to kick about on a forum with the author in the mid-2000s when I was a teenager, and I'd completely forgotten about that until now. The idea of having an internet past is weird.

I posted a bit to Usenet forums Charlie Stross haunted in the mid to late 90s. I mostly remember him as a B-list alt.peeves contributor.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Loutre posted:

I'm 2 books behind counting this newest one. I spent the last month rereading the first 5, and... I just can't bring myself to keep going. The good parts (the parts where actual things that matter happen) are like 1 page out of 50.

Just started Downbelow Station instead after seeing it mentioned in this thread a few times. Liking it a lot so far.

So that's White Luck Warrior? It's appropriately enough a bit of a slog. There's some great stuff at the start and the end, but then it's all padded out with turbo-Oedipus and Achamian yelling at trees.

To amuse yourself, try counting the number of times Bakker uses the construction "BLANK, the famed BLANK of BLANK"

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Velius posted:

I can't tell if this is a joke post. I actually have all those books but I'm sure they're long since out of print. They're pretty pulpy from what I recall. I would put them above Dragonlance/Forgotten Realms stuff but that's not saying much.
They're pretty pulpy, yeah. Good reads, though.

The really mindblowing thing about them, to me, is that somehow The Many-Colored Land won the Locus for Best Novel in 1982 (and additionally came in third for the Hugo).

That's beating out thread-favorite Downbelow Station... and also Project Pope, The Claw of the Conciliator, and The Divine Invasion. 1982 was not at all a bad year and yet that middling-to-okay book won?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

The really mindblowing thing about them, to me, is that somehow The Many-Colored Land won the Locus for Best Novel in 1982 (and additionally came in third for the Hugo).

That's beating out thread-favorite Downbelow Station... and also Project Pope, The Claw of the Conciliator, and The Divine Invasion. 1982 was not at all a bad year and yet that middling-to-okay book won?

I always thought Julian May was a pretty unique and interesting writer, I've only read the Galactic Milieu trilogy but they were quite well done.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Velius posted:

They're all available on Kindle.

I'm reasonably certain my paperback copies are in my parents' attic in a box somewhere.

Copernic
Sep 16, 2006

...A Champion, who by mettle of his glowing personal charm alone, saved the universe...

Velius posted:

Why would it be a joke post..? Julian May is a very underrated, underappreciated writer and I wanted to suggest something that hasn't already been brought up a million times. Her Boreal Moon saga is also very good and actually is unreservedly epic fantasy, not to mention Galactic Milieu, which is essentially "The Kennedys Develop Psychic Powers".

I just finished The Moon And The Other which is a pretty fearless and modern exploration of gender issues -- on the moon. It was pretty great.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

rmdx posted:

:vince:

I mean, in an ideal world she'd be kicking off a new series set in the Compact, but I will read the poo poo out of this.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

General Battuta posted:

I always thought Julian May was a pretty unique and interesting writer, I've only read the Galactic Milieu trilogy but they were quite well done.
I have to admit I only read the first two of the Pliocene Exile books. They read wel enough that I'd be willing to consider buying a book in the different setting by JM but not well enough that I wanted to finish that quartet. So what the heck, I'll add it to the list (especially if you're the one recommending it) and see where it gets me.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

ToxicFrog posted:

Same, but with me it's most often Bujold. For instance Barrayar, the "shopping" scene and the lead-up to it. Goddamn.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Groke posted:

Same, but with me it's most often Bujold. For instance Barrayar, the "shopping" scene and the lead-up to it. Goddamn.

I should get back into Bujold at some point, I read the first...2? Vorkosigan books and enjoyed them but not enough to read the entire series in one go.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I have to admit I only read the first two of the Pliocene Exile books. They read wel enough that I'd be willing to consider buying a book in the different setting by JM but not well enough that I wanted to finish that quartet. So what the heck, I'll add it to the list (especially if you're the one recommending it) and see where it gets me.

You stopped right before the Nonborn King which is a great book.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Going through the Book of the New Sun for the first time. Thought it was a little slow and odd at first, but I'm most of the way through Claw of the Conciliator and it's like a river that keeps picking up speed. Really outstanding prose, too. I can see what all the fuss is about.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

ToxicFrog posted:

I should get back into Bujold at some point, I read the first...2? Vorkosigan books and enjoyed them but not enough to read the entire series in one go.

She does take a couple of books to hit her stride... this is nowhere easier to see than in the Shards of Honor/Barrayar duology (1986 and 1991 respectively, with a few other books written in between).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Audience appeal. It's all about dressing up in your favourite costume and going to a con the Pliocene where you can get super mind powers and fight evil alien rape elves and hang out with lots of eccentric and entertaining people who like dressing up too. It's a very fan-friendly book.

I'm not saying it's bad, I like it, it's a fun pulp series. Though I could do without the Kennedys-with-X-Men-powers prequels. I wanted more about the cool aliens in the Milieu, but they hardly got a look-in.