Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Covok posted:

Somehow I feel like this will only blow up in Trump's face. Trying to use the justice department to pressure the media in to favorable coverage doesn't seem like it will end well for you.

YOU of all people think something will matter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Mantis42 posted:

Even if its done for the wrong reasons, this is actually good.

Yes I'm sure there will be no negative repercussions to the DOJ loving over the media critics of the President. I'm sure these massive companies will forgo their merger to defend the Freedom of the Press and not just censor CNN or sell it off to comply.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Mantis42 posted:

Even if its done for the wrong reasons, this is actually good.

Explain why.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Mantis is taking an anti-trust position, and is correct in principle.

The fact that anti-trust is basically dead doesn't really matter.

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!

Anti competitive practices being made official business practices as ISP/telecos merge is probably not the best thing for consumer.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Media consolidation is bad.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Boon posted:

Mantis is taking an anti-trust position, and is correct in principle.

The fact that anti-trust is basically dead doesn't really matter.

A Time Warner and AT&T merger will change the total corporate media ownership of the print, Cable news, and premium cable channel market by 0%.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Mantis42 posted:

Media consolidation is bad.

Explain what you think Time Warner owns and what you think AT&T owns and how a merger would lead to fewer media outlets.

bencreateddisco
Dec 7, 2011

I BLEW $74K IN KICKSTARTER MONEY AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS UGLY AVATAR
=Drdr=

bencreateddisco
Dec 7, 2011

Res[ser[bnk=ad

bencreateddisco
Dec 7, 2011

Errr:

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
same

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Mr President, the car is over there.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Eltoasto posted:

Mr President, the car is over there.

Say what you will, it's preferable to some of the more recent derails / slapfights.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

bencreateddisco posted:

Res[ser[bnk=ad

^^^^Trump is having another episode.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

: https://twitter.com/marv_vien/status/882982124063563776

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

I like Trump's new twitter gimmick: "How close can you get to The 14 Words before people notice".

I'm gonna guess 15, but it's 'Merica, so he'll probably have to go for the straight quote.

peengers
Jun 6, 2003

toot toot

Unironically agree

The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.

Sinteres posted:

I think violent threats should be taken seriously regardless of who's making them. I was just saying I don't think partisan affiliation is why there was an arrest in this case.

Unless they involve telling someone to kill themselves, right?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

BadOptics posted:

I like Trump's new twitter gimmick: "How close can you get to The 14 Words before people notice".

I'm gonna guess 15, but it's 'Merica, so he'll probably have to go for the straight quote.

"Sig hei- Sauer is a great company!"

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

A Time Warner and AT&T merger will change the total corporate media ownership of the print, Cable news, and premium cable channel market by 0%.

Oh yeah? I didn't realize those were the only forms of media that people consume.

pacmania90
May 31, 2010

peengers posted:

Unironically agree

please don't shoot people you disagree with

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

BadOptics posted:

Has anyone seen Kyle? Seen Kyle? He's this tall... seen Kyle? Anyone? Seen Kyle?

pacmania90 posted:

With all the horrible things being planned and done... at what point does it become self-defense?

(@NSA I'm asking for a friend.)

Burt Buckle
Sep 1, 2011

pacmania90 posted:

Not sure what happened but the party that is for prison reform and against the death penalty suddenly has a lot of people that are okay with murder.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Burt Buckle posted:

Not sure what happened but the party that is for prison reform and against the death penalty suddenly has a lot of people that are okay with murder.

Real big on poor and mentally ill people and not so big on Nazis.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

The Mattybee posted:

Unless they involve telling someone to kill themselves, right?

Again, I'm not defending that comment from some time ago (digging up people's old posts seems to be the gift that keeps on giving), but in what world would that constitute a threat? I don't think Anthony Weiner read my post and felt cyber bullied.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
According to the Alex Jones types, about how many people has Hillary Clinton killed or ordered to be killed? Like, how much of her mental real estate do they think is dedicated towards killing her enemies?

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Oxxidation posted:

It was six hours ago.

There are a handful of exceptionally stupid/malicious "leftists" (in fact call to action is a full-on "kill the browns" isolationist and the other two were Trump voters) who cling rabidly to Gabbard for reasons unknown.

Haha "kill the browns" eh? Was that before or after you praised Pol Pot?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Low Desert Punk posted:

According to the Alex Jones types, about how many people has Hillary Clinton killed or ordered to be killed? Like, how much of her mental real estate do they think is dedicated towards killing her enemies?

The traditional range is 50-80. Except maybe the actual full infowars types who presumably blame her human sacrifice rituals for Hurricanes Katrina and Sandy.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Here I though Trump was against the merger all along, on principle.

http://variety.com/2016/biz/news/donald-trump-deals-like-att-time-warner-merger-destroy-democracy-1201897805/

I mean...you don't think he might have been lying, do you?

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Low Desert Punk posted:

I don't think it's a huge effort on her part. 5, maybe 10 minutes out of her day. She whispers a person's name in Huma's ear and three days later it shows up in the obituaries.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Speaking of CNN what the gently caress is going on with this Reddit user thing

Manufactured controversy, real controversy, or a mix of the two? I've only seen the CHUD POV on it so I'm pretty sure I don't have the whole story.

95% manufacturered outrage trying to take advantage of 5% CNN's legal team sticking a tone-deaf disclaimer on an article.

What's funny is how quickly reddit as a whole is turning against the people trying to push it. Almost everything about it hitting the front page is now on CNN's side and any comment trying to push the various bullshit lines like that he was 15years old gets driven hard into the negative while a day ago it would have been at 1k+.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Presidents get like 10 free kills a year so you really dodged a bullet.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Shifty Pony posted:

95% manufacturered outrage trying to take advantage of 5% CNN's legal team sticking a tone-deaf disclaimer on an article.

What's funny is how quickly reddit as a whole is turning against the people trying to push it. Almost everything about it hitting the front page is now on CNN's side and any comment trying to push the various bullshit lines like that he was 15years old gets driven hard into the negative while a day ago it would have been at 1k+.

Redditors in general really, really, had Trump supporters. You might think I'm being insane, but r/T_D infects all of reddit and has left a bad taste in everyone's mouth. They use bots to get to the front page, spam their poo poo, etc. A lot of that has been stopped, but they still post everywhere, get in constant arguments, and stalk people. Like the one guy who posted in all my threads that I was pedophile because I didn't believe in pizzagate. To be frank, the general sentiment on reddit is r/T_D should be deleted and all its posters banned simply because they annoy everyone. But reddit admin refused to change.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Boon posted:

Oh yeah? I didn't realize those were the only forms of media that people consume.

Which forms of media will see a reduction in the number of outlets?

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Explain what you think Time Warner owns and what you think AT&T owns and how a merger would lead to fewer media outlets.

Corporate consolidation of previously diverse industries is arguably more dangerous than single-industry consolidation, comrade

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

Shifty Pony posted:

It's kind of nice to see people pushing through the bullshit. When the Trump/Russia dossier was released the fake pages added by 4Chan (and the Putinbots) to discredit Steele were picked up pretty drat fast. With this most recent CNN situation /pol/ didn't even try to hide their media blitz to attack CNN and a lot of people noticed.

Oh and it's easy to hate the guy that CNN dox'd.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Ague Proof posted:

I don't think it's a huge effort on her part. 5, maybe 10 minutes out of her day. She whispers a person's name in Huma's ear and three days later it shows up in the obituaries.

This has led to some awkwardness and confusion what with pillow talk and all.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

pacmania90 posted:

He's not wrong. There is going to be someone as bad and violent a person as the baseball shooter, but with better aim. That's just a solid prediction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

Al Borland Corp. posted:

He's not wrong. There is going to be someone as bad and violent a person as the baseball shooter, but with better aim. That's just a solid prediction.

"bad"

• Locked thread