Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

CPL593H posted:

I have no words.

I've been looking for an all regions player in the 100 dollar range. Where did you get this?

It's a Sony BDP-S5500. Amazon had refurbs for $105 last September. Back up to $150-170 now, though.

If you don't need it to have wi-fi, there's a similar BDP-S3700 for $150:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01D915UC4?m=A2EH3A7AEDBIYP&ref_=v_sp_widget_detail_page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Egbert Souse posted:

It's a Sony BDP-S5500. Amazon had refurbs for $105 last September. Back up to $150-170 now, though.

If you don't need it to have wi-fi, there's a similar BDP-S3700 for $150:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01D915UC4?m=A2EH3A7AEDBIYP&ref_=v_sp_widget_detail_page

Yeah I don't give a poo poo about wifi or 3D. I just want it so I can watch internationally released blu-rays and DVDs.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Is the person who owns the video rights to Dawn of the Dead sitting on them for spite? Every edition is out of print.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Speaking of non-US releases, does anyone know if the German blu-ray of Timecrimes has English subtitles?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

business hammocks posted:

Is the person who owns the video rights to Dawn of the Dead sitting on them for spite? Every edition is out of print.

The rights reverted to the producer and he spent a ton of money converting it to 3-D, which no one wanted. Now the licensing is ridiculously expensive because he's trying to make back the conversion cost and obviously no one is going to pay that much up front to license any film.

If Shout! Factory isn't even able to justify the licensing costs, it must be insanely overpriced.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Egbert Souse posted:

The rights reverted to the producer and he spent a ton of money converting it to 3-D, which no one wanted. Now the licensing is ridiculously expensive because he's trying to make back the conversion cost and obviously no one is going to pay that much up front to license any film.

If Shout! Factory isn't even able to justify the licensing costs, it must be insanely overpriced.

I remember hearing about that conversion and wondering who would want it. I was going to get a region-free player for the Arrow release, too. Shame.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

business hammocks posted:

I remember hearing about that conversion and wondering who would want it. I was going to get a region-free player for the Arrow release, too. Shame.

The Anchor Bay blu-ray is quite good and can still be had for 20-30 bucks. If you've got an ebay account, you might want to keep an eye on this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dawn-of-the-Dead-blu-ray-out-of-print-/362029163001?hash=item544a9ea1f9:g:yi0AAOSwPWRZXEXg

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jul 7, 2017

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I'm still waiting for Dead Alive to be re-released. Last time I saw a copy, it was $120.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Liar Lyre posted:

I'm still waiting for Dead Alive to be re-released. Last time I saw a copy, it was $120.

At least the DVD still has value
I found one for $4 a year or so ago and flipped it for $25.

Speaking of DVDs how is it the middle of 2017 and over half of retail space is still DVDs?

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Boinks posted:

At least the DVD still has value
I found one for $4 a year or so ago and flipped it for $25.

Speaking of DVDs how is it the middle of 2017 and over half of retail space is still DVDs?

I worked at a video store for 2 years, so I have a bit of insight.
1. Some people don't care about video quality and just want cheap movies. DVDs are cheaper.
2. A lot of people that buy physical are older and don't feel like upgrading to blu-ray.
3. Young people tend to just use Netflix because it's cheaper than buying.
4. DVDs are cheaper to produce.

There's probably a lot of other reasons too, but that's what I've observed.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Amazon has The Big Parade for $11.35.

Anyone interested in silent cinema should pick this up. One of the best films of the era and Warner's restoration is jaw-dropping. 4K restoration primarily from the original nitrate camera negative with a full orchestral score by Carl Davis.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Since we were talking about "of the Dead" movies, Shout! is releasing Land of the Dead this October along with Poughkeepsie Tapes for the first time on home video.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Liar Lyre posted:

Holy poo poo, I'm gonna watch my copy, I didn't know it went out of print!

If we have any luck, Scream Factory would put out an ultimate edition with all three cuts (even the R-Rated version for purely curiosity's sake)

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Oh boy, Poughkeepsie Tapes will really benefit from the 1080i presentation.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Egbert Souse posted:

I'm surprised he wasn't able to secure a theatrical run for loving Dawn of the Dead '78 in 3D. Literally the only hurdle I can think of is it being unrated, and it would easily just be an R nowadays if he submitted it (plus Drafthouse, the biggest chain that does repertory screenings, actively doesn't give a poo poo about that).

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Speak of the devil, in October Shout is releasing Dawn of the Dead.........the 2005 Zack Snyder version. Still, it's getting a 2 disc set with both versions. Hopefully this eventually leads to getting the original.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

UV codes

Sicario X4XY6H9PP7PX (may be expired)
Evil Dead 2 QQ67WJY7CBQK

Jack Bandit
Feb 6, 2005
Shit, I'm a free man and I haven't had a conjugal visit in six months

smallmouth posted:

UV codes

Evil Dead 2 QQ67WJY7CBQK

Took Evil Dead, thanks!

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

smallmouth posted:

UV codes

Evil Dead 2 QQ67WJY7CBQK

Looks like someone already grabbed Evil Dead 2, but I snagged Sicario. Thanks!

Edit- Always refresh before posting

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Cool, I'm glad it still worked.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Liar Lyre posted:

Speak of the devil, in October Shout is releasing Dawn of the Dead.........the 2005 Zack Snyder version. Still, it's getting a 2 disc set with both versions. Hopefully this eventually leads to getting the original.

That's great news. IMO, the director's cut fucks up the tight pacing that the theatrical cut has so it's great to see both versions get a release.

I'm curious if it's going to be the real theatrical version or the current Universal release where they have CGI bloodspots on the window to cover up the nudity.

And it looks like Shout also licensed Land Of The Dead from Universal.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jul 8, 2017

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Liar Lyre posted:

Oh poo poo, definitely picking this up.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Someone posted a bunch of release dates for upcoming catalog UHD releases on Home Theater Forum.

Sept 5:
Blade Runner

Sept. 12:
E.T. - The Extra-Terrestrial

Sept. 19:
Starship Troopers
Close Encounters of the Third Kind

Sept. 26:
Bram Stoker's Dracula

Oct. 3:
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Terminator 2: Judgement Day

Oct. 17
Batman Begins
The Dark Knight
The Dark Knight Rises
Inception
Interstellar

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My local target I think has all those Harry potters already?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Empress Brosephine posted:

My local target I think has all those Harry potters already?

You may have skipped over the uhd (aka 4k) part.

Only order of phoenix up to death hallows has a 4k edition today.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
Definitely gonna pick up T2 and probably Interstellar.

Will be something like the 4th or 5th time I've bought Terminator 2.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Monday_ posted:

Definitely gonna pick up T2 and probably Interstellar.

Will be something like the 4th or 5th time I've bought Terminator 2.

I just bought the remastered Blu and still have the Ultimate and Extreme DVDs for the extras.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

October is looking like an expensive month. I picked up the existing Harry Potters cheap (I guess something was giving them away as a promotion as I paid like $40 for them disc only?) but I've only seen the first few movies and that was years ago so makes sense to get them and watch again.

And I've not seen T2 in years and it's a favorite so time to buy that again. And probably inception and interstellar too.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
No they definitely have Harry Potter UHd. It's my local Best Buy.

E: oh it's the newer http://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchp...s=960&keys=keys

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Honestly I think I'll wait for them to put together a 4k set for cheap. I actually had the ultimate editions and sold it. I can wait for them to put the Blu Ray set for stupid cheap on black Friday , and watch them if I have a urge for it and sell it when the 4k set is put together and sells for cheap.

Ineffiable fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jul 10, 2017

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

The Barnes and Noble's 50% off Criterion sale starts tomorrow through Aug 5. I really hope the Zatoichi box set's included. I need that.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Liar Lyre posted:

The Barnes and Noble's 50% off Criterion sale starts tomorrow through Aug 5. I really hope the Zatoichi box set's included. I need that.

It's all criterions

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I do love that they're a company that isn't afraid to release stuff in a month where their entire catalogue is half off.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've never lived next to a Barnes until now and I've been eyeing some criteiroons so I'm stoked.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

For those in Region B Arrow, the best company for Blu-ray*, has its big sale on the 19th.

https://i.imgur.com/re9fCj5.jpg

*If you like schlock and genre films.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Why, I have no idea, but Warner Home Video is releasing a UHD set of Peanuts specials including A Charlie Brown Christmas on October 10th.

Though, one highlight will be a very reasonable price for including nine specials for $45 MSRP, which is actually less expensive than the now-OOP Blu release from a few years ago.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
60s TV animation in 4K. What a time.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Is...is it still in 4x3 :psyduck:

If that's how it was shot, cool, but why put that on UHD?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Is...is it still in 4x3 :psyduck:

If that's how it was shot, cool, but why put that on UHD?

WB has been surprisingly good about keeping original aspect ratios intact whenever possible on Blu-Ray. The original It was released on DVD in its "feature" version cropped to 16x9, while the Blu-Ray is the original 4x3 and the miniseries edit. They did the same thing with Salem's Lot.

My guess is that it's meant to be a good Christmas item for new UHD players and it might be to test the waters on other animation. Though, I'd be really disappointed if they opted to do something like Looney Tunes UHDs when they didn't even get past 3 1/2 volumes on Blu-Ray.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I remember thinking the same thing when Blu-Ray first came out, but now I have to have it on BR or not at all. Eventually 4k will be the standard.

• Locked thread