Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

KirbyKhan posted:

Even though anime is bad, it is still alive. Posting regularly in QCS is like being Statler and/or Waldorf at this dead gay comedy forum's open casket.

Not really. Statler and Waldorf were funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Oh you can't handle wet boys

It's an alt-right incel thing - "dry boys" refrain from getting their dicks wet

The alt-right would be so much funnier if they weren't so horrifying!

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Push El Burrito posted:

The alt-right would be so much funnier if they weren't so horrifying!

I think it's pretty funny that they're basically saying "You can't turn down sex with me! I pre-emptively turned down sex with you!"

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
The United States is being controlled by a group of angry racist white virgins. This isn't the future any of us wanted.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

KirbyKhan posted:

Even though anime is bad, it is still alive. Posting regularly in QCS is like being Statler and/or Waldorf at this dead gay comedy forum's open casket.

hey, can we not call things "gay" pejoratively in this forum, thanks

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

And use this thread to talk about black folks and black issues and not whatever this is?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Speaking of black issues, did y'all see that piece of poo poo NRA ad? Especially tone deaf after the Castile verdict.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

They know exactly what tone they are taking. It's beyond dog whistling at this point.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

How about some GOOD advertising to wash the taste of the NRA ad out of our collective mouths.

Meet some of the descendants of the signers of the Declaration of Independence, arranged in the places of their ancestors in John Trumbull’s iconic “Declaration of Independence” painting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1PMt8bnz34
This is the ad ancestry.com, arguably the world's biggest genealogy company, will be running over the 4th of July holiday.

quote:

Everyone in the spot, which is the first work for the brand from Droga5 New York, is a descendant of the one of the signers of the Declaration of Independence. Droga5 was officially named Ancestry.com’s lead creative agency earlier this month.

“Declaration Descendants,” which will run in 60- and 30-second versions, makes its broadcast debut today. The campaign, which will be supported by digital, social media, out-of-home and cinema components, as well as media collaborations and PR initiatives (via PR agency Weber Shandwick), will run through July 13.

Droga5 pitched the concept in response to its first brief and began working on the idea in early May.

“Fourth of July is a time of great national pride, and our new campaign is a portrait of how America has evolved. Diversity isn’t just something we value as Americans; it’s quite literally part of who we are,” Ancestry chief marketing officer Vineet Mehra said in a statement provided to Adweek.
<...>
“We made the decision that we wanted to re-create a version of the painting that felt relevant today,” Meates and Glover explained. “That gave the sense that these people were re-stating the values of the Declaration of Independence, rather than simply dressing up as their forebears. That led to a lot of questions about what did and didn’t still feel relevant.”

For example, they point to the decision to mimic the original furniture used in the painting, which feels like something you’d still find in historic building today, but replace the antiquated powdered wigs and stockings with “a modern day equivalent that felt serious but natural.”

“One of the descendants [who is descended from Philip Livingston] said something … on set that really stuck,” the creatives added. “He said he knew he was going to see people who looked like him [he’s African-American] and people who looked more like the founding fathers themselves at the shoot, but had not been prepared to meet people of a wide range of other ethnicities there.”

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Super dope commercial.

ATP5G1
Jun 22, 2005
Fun Shoe

blackguy32 posted:

Speaking of black issues, did y'all see that piece of poo poo NRA ad? Especially tone deaf after the Castile verdict.

Everyone was asking why they hadn't released a response yet. I guess that was it.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 37 hours!
The nra stands for the national rifle association.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
Good piece on West Indies/immigrant blackness and how it is viewed as separate from American blackness http://gladwell.com/black-like-them/

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

This week in "White people be trippin" news:

http://verysmartbrothas.com/boston-...ened-this-week/

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

dumb editorial posted:

And, if it were not for the millions of white men who gave their lives in World War II, we might all be starting the work day with the Nazi salute.
Hmm yes let's just write this and then conveniently ignore the other side of it

EwokEntourage fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jul 7, 2017

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.

EwokEntourage posted:

Hmm yes let's just write this and then conveniently ignore the other side of it
Ya lol was just going to say that.

quote:

they/we [white men] have not cornered the market on evil behavior... Not to mention certain notorious female camp guards and serial killers.
Like of all the things to bring up, serial killers? Guy digs his own grave using the very thing he tries to defend lol.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Death Bot posted:

Good piece on West Indies/immigrant blackness and how it is viewed as separate from American blackness http://gladwell.com/black-like-them/

I'm gonna ignore the dumb white guy editorial and say this was really interesting, thanks!

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

the article posted:

Not long ago I had an exchange with a former student of mine — we were discussing women’s rights and abusive men — and she told me I had no right to speak on the subject. “We were made to be silent for millennia,” she said, “now it’s your turn.” That kind of revenge must be satisfying, and particularly soothing to those who’ve been hurt by men — no small number. Ultimately, though, understandable as it may be, the impulse toward revenge leads nowhere except to a seesaw of oppression and fury.

And I'm sure he was being perfectly reasonable and listening carefully. And that he's not taking things out of context. Or also that this totally, actually happened and wasn't invented by a baby boomer with no idea how people speak extemporaneously on political issues that matter to them.

If it happened there's a 60% chance he was trying to seduce her.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I'm kind of learning that many people love invading spaces of black folk to complain.

You can see this easily on Twitter where certain people constantly invade peoples tweets to complain about what they are posting about. And instead of unfollowing, they just stick around to keep complaining.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Black Panther EW cover page and shots.

https://twitter.com/GeeksOfColor/status/885127969257082885

https://twitter.com/GeeksOfColor/status/885124584873222144

^ Whole bunch of shots in that thread.

https://twitter.com/Lupita_Nyongo/status/885118558707081216

https://twitter.com/FilmFatale_NYC/status/885127425788694530

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Dexo posted:

Black Panther EW cover page and shots.

I'm hype, but I feel like the suit really needs more definition around the crotch. Not like a crazy hey look at my dick codpiece, but right now the eye is drawn there by the relative LACK of detail.

7c Nickel fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jul 12, 2017

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

7c Nickel posted:

I'm hype, but I feel like the suit really needs more definition around the crotch. Not like a crazy hey look at my dick codpiece, but right now the eye is drawn there by the relative LACK of detail.

The way the character was filmed in Civil War they had a focus on his upper body and wide shots for action, it's likely we won't usually see his lower body. That's how Captain America is generally filmed as well.

Also lmao at this post

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

I'm very glad that there's not some token white guy in this photo to make it more "approachable".

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Hey did you know that as long as you're not white it's super cool and okay for you to say "friend of the family" all the time and you're allowed and no one can tell you not to. Also blacks shouldn't breed and they are responsible for all crime and deserve to live in poverty because they're all crackheads. But I'm not racist because I'm not white, got youuuuuuuu.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Hey did you know that as long as you're not white it's super cool and okay for you to say "friend of the family" all the time and you're allowed and no one can tell you not to. Also blacks shouldn't breed and they are responsible for all crime and deserve to live in poverty because they're all crackheads. But I'm not racist because I'm not white, got youuuuuuuu.

im glad grog "how can bigotry be real if our eyes aren't real" nan also jumped in to defend call to action

it's like a dirtbag jamboree

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Hey did you know that as long as you're not white it's super cool and okay for you to say "friend of the family" all the time

DJ Khalid taught me that although I think he's stopped doing it lately.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Gaunab posted:

DJ Khalid taught me that although I think he's stopped doing it lately.

DJ Khalid is a space alien from the planet Fabulosa so it makes sense that he'd need a little time to get up to speed

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

OgreNoah posted:

I'm very glad that there's not some token white guy in this photo to make it more "approachable".

The villain is a white guy! Finally some representation!

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ArfJason posted:

The nra stands for the national rifle association.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Yeah, one of my friends does this big time (Indo-Fijian, if it makes any difference), minus the last part about saying black people shouldn't breed or anything like that. I hesitate to call him on it because gently caress knows he's actually had to deal with racism, which he's told me about, and I haven't, but it still makes me a bit uncomfortable because it's not a thing he ought to do. How should I address that, as a white person? Is it my place to say something, or should I just leave it alone? I don't want to whitesplain to him, but on the other hand he still probably shouldn't be using the n-word to refer to himself or anyone else. What's the correct thing to do?

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Ask him to stop saying friend of the family. Tell him friend of the family makes you feel umcomfortable.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

PT6A posted:

Yeah, one of my friends does this big time (Indo-Fijian, if it makes any difference), minus the last part about saying black people shouldn't breed or anything like that. I hesitate to call him on it because gently caress knows he's actually had to deal with racism, which he's told me about, and I haven't, but it still makes me a bit uncomfortable because it's not a thing he ought to do. How should I address that, as a white person? Is it my place to say something, or should I just leave it alone? I don't want to whitesplain to him, but on the other hand he still probably shouldn't be using the n-word to refer to himself or anyone else. What's the correct thing to do?

You could try and connect it to people using Asian slurs casually if you think that will register with him. Otherwise just explain that it makes you uncomfortable and a little worried for him because the word is still very hostile in a lot contexts, and he's risking sending out a message that he might not intend by throwing it around. Not everyone is just going to hear a non-black person mimicking black culture (I presume that's what's going on); they're going to here a racist and respond negatively which is dangerous, or positively which is gently caress-all uncomfortable.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
The Oregon state legislature has been on a spree of passing good laws this past week or two that should be at least partially beneficial to minorities, amongst which are:

HB 2355 Sets up a system and training to help end racial profiling by police, by requiring them to record the race of each traffic or pedestrian stop, which will then be reviewed and analyzed for bias by an independent commission. Also decriminalizes possession of small amounts of narcotics to a misdemeanor instead of felony, and provides for drug abuse counseling as a primary tool rather than just jail time and fines (including reduction of probationary periods by successfully completing addiction treatment), with the goal of, if not ending, at least reducing the war on drugs somewhat. Also also reduces the maximum sentence for a Class A misdemeanor from 365 days to 364 days - the important distinction here being that INS can deport someone who is jailed for at least 365 days; this is to prevent INS from being able to easily deport undocumented immigrants just because they got a single misdemeanor conviction.

HB 3391 This one requires mandatory insurance coverage of specified reproductive care procedures (ranging from birth control pills, prenatal services, vasectomies, childbirth, and yes, also abortions, at no cost to the patient. Also expands coverage to an estimated ~23,000 uninsured undocumented immigrants through the Oregon Health Plan (state run insurance for low income people). Also prohibits any govt. entity from restricting access to abortions or other reproductive care.

SB 558 This sets up a program under the aforementioned Oregon Health Plan to extend health coverage to all children in the state, even otherwise uninsured undocumented immigrant children. Another huge win for undocumented immigrants here.

HB 2845 This last one I wanted to mention directs the state Department of Education to develop statewide Ethnic Studies curriculums to start teaching as part of the K-12 Social Studies curricula, with the goal of (and I quote our governor Kate Brown): "helping to abate institutional racism in our public school system".

Re: the undocumented immigrant-focused bits of those laws, it is also worth noting that Oregon was the first (and is still the only, to my knowledge) Sanctuary State. There's plenty of Sanctuary Cities around the nation, but as of the time of this post, only one entire state that has made itself an immigrant sanctuary and is resisting INS at the statewide level.

It's times like this that I truly do love my state and city.

On that note, I'd like to post this song, by local Portland rapper and activist Glenn Waco, who also makes me proud of living here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onfp2KzpJJ4

I was gonna post it in the political hip-hop thread here, but it's locked for archiving, so here it is instead.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Lightning Knight posted:

The way the character was filmed in Civil War they had a focus on his upper body and wide shots for action, it's likely we won't usually see his lower body. That's how Captain America is generally filmed as well.

Also lmao at this post

Hey, I'm kind of an art and design guy so that's what I end up noticing.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Speaking of art and design, the Tate Modrn is currently hosting an exhibition called Soul of a Nation: Art in the Age of Black Power, about black art in the Civil Rights era, and it looks hella rad. I'm actually headed to London this Friday, so I may be able to run a trip report. Probably not photos, though - I'm not sure of the Tate's policy on those.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Darth Walrus posted:

Speaking of art and design, the Tate Modrn is currently hosting an exhibition called Soul of a Nation: Art in the Age of Black Power, about black art in the Civil Rights era, and it looks hella rad. I'm actually headed to London this Friday, so I may be able to run a trip report. Probably not photos, though - I'm not sure of the Tate's policy on those.

They're cool with it as long as there is no flash.

Either that or I have a bunch of illegal photos on my phone...

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Nooope

https://twitter.com/ditzkoff/status/887776908351614976

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

:getin:

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I want so bad for this to be a long take of making GBS threads all over racism but deep down I know it won't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/MelvinBackman/status/887784157765672962

• Locked thread