Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

bewilderment posted:

In the Marauder class quests it's the opposite (so far, I'm level 41), you pick up a healer named Solkwyb from the buffet table (seriously, you're asked to go pick her up from the restaurant) to carry you and heal you through the quests. Then for Warrior the trainer guy actually helps you and does things until he gets sad.

Actually yeah I might as well ask, how do the various class questlines stack up, at least in 2.0 and going on from that too? Marauder actually seemed OK even if it occasionally leaned on "one day you're gonna fight Kujata but NOT YET YOUR LEVEL IS TOO LOW haha good job though".

The conjurer questline, in my opinion, isn't bad as long as you understand it's about Sylphie, not you. Your character is mostly there to be by implication Sylphie's teacher and even substitute parent. I wanted to throttle Sylphie at first, but she ended up growing on me. Not for everyone, though.

Graduating to white mage has been less interesting so far (I'm 43). It's just one dude screaming that you're not fit to be a white mage while everyone else says no of course you are. Sometimes you beat up on elementals and wave your hands in front of trees to heal them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I liked the WHM 50-60 questline but the 30-50 was pretty dire.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
The DRK level 50 job quest is the best in the game, bar none.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

i'm not going to address your other two points because they're offensively unintelligent even by your sentient-oatmeal standards but 'you get the best rewards from the hardest stuff' isn't exactly a controversial stance and exists in tons of scenarios beyond video games

Everything should just be Guild Wars 1 style - you reach max-level and max gear halfway through the story and after that point, everything is just for cosmetics and the storyline.

Also I wish more games had the GW2 dye system and that it carried across characters. Once you unlock a dye, the dye is 'perma unlocked' and you don't need to make more, and there's like a thousand different shades. This means that a cool new dye is actually valuable loot - good blacks and whites are hard to come by, and a white that's designed for cloth won't looks as nice on metal!

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

i'm not going to address your other two points because they're offensively unintelligent even by your sentient-oatmeal standards but 'you get the best rewards from the hardest stuff' isn't exactly a controversial stance and exists in tons of scenarios beyond video games

Hey! Guess what, when you raid savage, you do receive "the best rewards from the hardest stuff" for that patch. Then, when the next patch comes out, your stuff isn't the best stuff anymore. That's how vertical progression MMOs work, you stupid loving moron.

GentlemanGiant
Jan 6, 2013

EponymousMrYar posted:

The level 70 quest comes pretty dang close to topping it though.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Yo, whats the quickest way to level the gatherers below 50?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

BrightWing posted:

Yo, whats the quickest way to level the gatherers below 50?

Leves.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

EponymousMrYar posted:

I really hope Fray returns for more DRK story, someday.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Ugh, fiiiiine, thanks.

So boring.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

BrightWing posted:

Ugh, fiiiiine, thanks.

So boring.

Target the leves that give bonus XP "Collect this many points and get 25% bonus xp" ones.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Mordiceius posted:

Target the leves that give bonus XP "Collect this many points and get 25% bonus xp" ones.

Duly Noted! Anything to make this go a bit faster, promised a raid buddy I'd do BOT if he did MNR so we had more gatherers in the group.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I know MCH is at the bottom along with BRD as far as DPS output right now, but how's their playstyle? Did the change to gauss barrel and their newfound mobility prove to be a fun mechanic? It seemed at first to me that managing heat would just kind of be a pain in the arse alongside managing your turret, but that was before we had any 70s reporting in.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

BrightWing posted:

Ugh, fiiiiine, thanks.

So boring.

Also do your GC turn-ins daily, they give ridiculous XP and the NQ materials you pick up along the way can be sold on the MB for decent money (or kept if you're a crafter).

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Clarste posted:

To encourage the crafter equivalent of raiding, obviously. I'm sure there are crafters out there that resent being mostly useless.

Honestly I'm torn on the issue because as a crafter, I like having crafted gear be really good, but as a raider, I don't like that my raiding gear becomes useless the moment the next raid drops.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

I know MCH is at the bottom along with BRD as far as DPS output right now, but how's their playstyle? Did the change to gauss barrel and their newfound mobility prove to be a fun mechanic? It seemed at first to me that managing heat would just kind of be a pain in the arse alongside managing your turret, but that was before we had any 70s reporting in.
I kind of enjoy it, and it's really very unique. The core rotation is by far the simplest of any DPS class right now, but that's because you're going to be spending most of your time paying attention to the heat gauge as it can be pretty disastrous to go under 50 or overheat at the wrong times. The skill ceiling seems fairly high too (and I'm nowhere near it..) since you still have Wildfire and ammo too and you have to keep those in mind when juggling your heat too.

The real problem with the class beyond it being crap damage right now is that you can't really see really mature until 64 or so, and the gameplay is definitely either a love it or hate it thing. It's also got some other minor annoyances that might turn you off too, such as being kind of crappy if you're synced down anywhere between 52-63 and can't manage heat, or if you're going FATE grinding or something and keep getting leveled down and losing gauss barrel and all your heat constantly.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

panda clue posted:

People literally did say that, though.

where?

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

Mordiceius posted:

Hey! Guess what, when you raid savage, you do receive "the best rewards from the hardest stuff" for that patch. Then, when the next patch comes out, your stuff isn't the best stuff anymore. That's how vertical progression MMOs work, you stupid loving moron.

vertical progression models rely on time-gated lockouts to keep progression synced early in a raid tier, expensive pentamelded crafted upgrades bypass this and thus have no purpose except to be a week-1 tax, and the reason you haven't done any hard content in this game has nothing to do with a lack of time to play and everything to do with your attitude towards it. namaste.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Reiterpallasch posted:

expensive pentamelded crafted upgrades bypass this and thus have no purpose except to be a week-1 tax

And why does this matter? Not trying to be be a jackass about it. I'm sincerely asking. Yes, the gear is better than the previous raid tier, but it is coming after that raid tier. But it is inferior to the newer raid tier, so there is still something to go after. It is also optional. So why does it matter?

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Mordiceius posted:

And why does this matter? Not trying to be be a jackass about it. I'm sincerely asking. Yes, the gear is better than the previous raid tier, but it is coming after that raid tier. But it is inferior to the newer raid tier, so there is still something to go after. It is also optional. So why does it matter?

To make gil off impatient/lazy people?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Die Sexmonster! posted:

To make gil off impatient/lazy people?

No no, I'm trying to figure out why it is a bad thing.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Mordiceius posted:

I can take a stab at explaining, from what I've gleaned from the conversation:

People who raid like to feel like the great gear they got is useful for something--that it is the best for a specific purpose. If there's better gear available--better gear that you can almost certainly afford if you're a serious savage raider--before you even set foot into the next savage raid tier, it takes some of the fun out of the great gear you raided for in the previous tier. If, instead, the best available gear to start savage raiding in the current tier was the gear you could get by savage raiding in the previous tier, even if you're going to replace it with the gear you get in the new raid tier, you at least feel like that raiding you did in the previous tier was valuable preparation for the current one.

Yes, the crafted gear is optional, but if it is better than what you raided for, and will help you in the new raid, and you can afford to get it, you'd be a fool not to use it. You know how sometimes, when someone says a game is too easy even on its hardest difficulty, people suggest handicapping yourself to make it harder, as though that is not only a solution, but means that the difficulty must be totally fine? Just ignoring better gear because it replaces gear you spent more effort obtaining is sort of a mild version of the same thing--yeah, you can do it, but it's kind of silly and doesn't really solve the problem.

I hope I worded that well.

I suspect that it wouldn't be nearly as much of an issue for people if crafted gear better than Raid Tier A released like a couple weeks after Raid Tier B, for example, so it's still useful for people playing catch-up or who just leveled a new job, but gives the people who have gear from Raid Tier A time to use it for new content while it's the best available.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jul 7, 2017

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I can't loving wait for Menagerie Extreme. Did the trial this morning with the FC and had a blast, it's such a good fight. Might be one of my favorites.

Augus fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jul 7, 2017

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

Mordiceius posted:

well, i'd say i'd have three objections to that:

from a design perspective, fights escalate upwards in difficulty in a tier, because you're expected to have better gear as you progress through a tier. allowing a 10 ilvl jump on the first day the raid releases has significant knock-on effects--in the case of the i250 crafted stuff, it meant that nobody with money and/or friends had to run Creator story mode ever, which in turn increased the queue length and lowered the success rate of Creator story for people who didn't have that support network

from a stupid raid drama perspective, it messes up the pace of world-first clear groups, who generally compete on their ability to squeeze performance out of their classes beyond what their item levels would ordinarily allow

from a fairness perspective, it's actually just dumb to charge people literal millions of gil and/or hours of crafting to get their week 1 gear upgrades. not everyone has those kinds of resources. non-combat stuff like glamours or rp or chocobo racing are almost never contingent on doing cutting-edge combat content. likewise, it seems reasonable that cutting edge combat content shouldn't have anything to do with how high you've leveled your DOH/DOL classes, or how good you are at playing the market board. there's a perfectly reasonable niche for crafted gear to be implemented at the max item level of the previous patch instead of +10 over it; plenty of people switch their job and need catch-up gear every time a raid tier comes out.

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug
Now i want to see 8 person crafter content where you have to coordinate touches and only one crafter can finish an item per week.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
like, just consider all the complaining in this thread literally today about how stupid the token system is for normal 8-man raids--if i could pay 2 million gil per piece for stuff equivalent to omega normal i would in a heartbeat.

i'm not a golden god 98th percentile speedrunner or anything, but i'd like to think that groups with me healing are more likely to go well than groups with some rando YOU DONT PAY MY SUB person afk-healing. if nothing else, i help make the queues pop faster. giving me the option to buy out of omega normal--something that people who aren't DoH/DoL market board barons probably won't have the money to do--is both unfair and bad for the overall health of the content.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Harrow posted:

it's kind of silly and doesn't really solve the problem.

But is it really an actual problem or just a hang up some hardcore raiders have and can't seem to get over?

Harrow posted:

you at least feel like that raiding you did in the previous tier was valuable preparation for the current one.

Isn't that subjective to the why people raid?

If people savage raid to always have the best gear, then you're in for constant disappointment because in this MMO, those goalposts will be moved every 6 months.
If people savage raid to always be fighting the toughest content, then it shouldn't matter if better quality crafted gear comes out, as it just helps them.
If people savage raid to spend time doing challenge content with friends, again, crafted gear shouldn't matter.

Where it just comes across to me as a small group of savage raiders whining that "oh my best gear isn't the best for long enough."

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

This all sounds remarkably similar to all the seething hatred people had for Kinna weapons being competitive with Alex Savage weapons.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Mordiceius posted:

But is it really an actual problem or just a hang up some hardcore raiders have and can't seem to get over?

Isn't that subjective to the why people raid?

If people savage raid to always have the best gear, then you're in for constant disappointment because in this MMO, those goalposts will be moved every 6 months.
If people savage raid to always be fighting the toughest content, then it shouldn't matter if better quality crafted gear comes out, as it just helps them.
If people savage raid to spend time doing challenge content with friends, again, crafted gear shouldn't matter.

Where it just comes across to me as a small group of savage raiders whining that "oh my best gear isn't the best for long enough."

by allah, raiders are so illogical

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Reiterpallasch posted:

like, just consider all the complaining in this thread literally today about how stupid the token system is for normal 8-man raids--if i could pay 2 million gil per piece for stuff equivalent to omega normal i would in a heartbeat.

i'm not a golden god 98th percentile speedrunner or anything, but i'd like to think that groups with me healing are more likely to go well than groups with some rando YOU DONT PAY MY SUB person afk-healing. if nothing else, i help make the queues pop faster. giving me the option to buy out of omega normal--something that people who aren't DoH/DoL market board barons probably won't have the money to do--is both unfair and bad for the overall health of the content.

Fister used to talk about how people who did savage mode deserved extra story content because they put in the extra work. Shouldn't those who put in the time gearing up their DoH/DoL and playing the market board deserve to have their own advantages for putting in the extra work?

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
kinna weapons were literally never competitive with alexander savage weapons, everyone could get a kinna weapon relatively easily if they wanted to, and kinna weapons weren't released at the same time as a raid tier

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

YoshiOfYellow posted:

This all sounds remarkably similar to all the seething hatred people had for Kinna weapons being competitive with Alex Savage weapons.

Kinna weapons were barely competitive with Sophia weapons, which were available months before kinna weapons were.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

Mordiceius posted:

Fister used to talk about how people who did savage mode deserved extra story content because they put in the extra work. Shouldn't those who put in the time gearing up their DoH/DoL and playing the market board deserve to have their own advantages for putting in the extra work?

first, i'm not even on the same side as fister in this argument, so i don't see why you're trying to pin his often shittacular opinions on me

second, they would have some advantages anyway even if the gear was released on item level--pentamelded crafted items are often superior to equivalent item level dropped gear due to higher substat freedom, without needing the +10. i think this is stupid and pentamelds should go away, but that's how it works right now.

third, i'm sorry, but the game does put a higher focus on combat than crafting/gathering by design. you start as a combat class, combat classes are required to see almost all story content in the game, and they're ok with gating gathering points behind main scenario progress.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Mordiceius posted:

I guess what I mean is: what's the point of having the best gear if there's nothing to really use it for? Congratulations, you have the best gear... for getting more of that gear tier, because by the time the next raid tier comes out, you can buy better gear than the stuff you're wearing before you even set foot in it.

I'm arguing from a position I haven't personally been in, I should point out. I'm just trying to distill what I've read in this thread about it. But it doesn't seem illogical to me. Yes, you're going to replace that gear eventually, but wouldn't it be nice to actually need to use it for something first, and not just for the same tier you got it in? It's the difference between:

- The best way to prepare for Raid Tier B is by doing Raid Tier A, versus
- The best way to prepare for Raid Tier B is buying crafted gear.

I can see how that's unsatisfying, y'know?

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
like if there ever exists a possible alternate resolution to final coil that involved baking a dragon-cake so dragon-licious that bahamut prime's desire for vengeance was quelled and he flew off to another star to open his new dragon patisserie, i'm willing to have this argument again, but until then, yes, combat content is privileged above the other kinds of content in this game.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Reiterpallasch posted:

like if there ever exists a possible alternate resolution to final coil that involved baking a dragon-cake so dragon-licious that bahamut prime's desire for vengeance was quelled and he flew off to another star to open his new dragon patisserie, i'm willing to have this argument again, but until then, yes, combat content is privileged above the other kinds of content in this game.

Great, now I'm mad that I can't do that.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Harrow posted:

I can see how that's unsatisfying, y'know?

I can understand to a degree, but I guess I'll never understand fully because in my mind, I basically think "if I'm able to tackle the content I want to tackle, who cares what gear I have or how I got it." And I don't think about it beyond that. Not to say anyone is specifically wrong in how they feel. Just different opinions and viewpoints.

I do feel, however, that the crafted gear probably helps more people than it hurts.

Reiterpallasch posted:

second, they would have some advantages anyway even if the gear was released on item level--pentamelded crafted items are often superior to equivalent item level dropped gear due to higher substat freedom, without needing the +10. i think this is stupid and pentamelds should go away, but that's how it works right now.

I would be 100% fine with having overmelding done away with.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Harrow posted:

Great, now I'm mad that I can't do that.
If only Tanaka was still in charge...

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
to clarify again: nobody has any objection to crafted gear being on par with gear that was best in slot last patch, or at least if they do they're stupid. it's when it's a strict upgrade that things get dicey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

If raid gear from tier 1 becomes completely obsolete on day 1 of tier 2, then there's no reason for raiders to stick around after their first clear. That's the problem with crafted gear right now.