Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

MrYenko posted:

Edit: Seriously, if I was her boss having that conversation with her, I'd seriously consider a different employee, since her critical thinking skills are so poor.
She's not stupid (or, at least not stupid because of this), but she doesn't understand how waking up every morning with a full tank of cheap gas helps her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

ilkhan posted:

She's not stupid (or, at least not stupid because of this), but she doesn't understand how waking up every morning with a full tank of cheap gas helps her.

Pretty much this. Some folks are really, really hung up on the idea that cars should be filled up once/twice a week at maximum, I guess. Introducing them to new, radical ideas like "filling your car up every night at home" tends to throw them for a loop. Oddly, I've also had people also ask if batteries are safe, which is weird as hell considering there's a quite a few gallons of flammable liquid sitting in the center or back of your car. :v:

I personally can't wait to see the weird poo poo people get themselves into when EVs start going truly mainstream. There are plenty of stories about folks dumping diesel into gas cars, so it should be a blast to see what kind of hosed-up ways people try to ram a CCS cord into a CHAdeMo port.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Ripoff posted:

I personally can't wait to see the weird poo poo people get themselves into when EVs start going truly mainstream.

Can only imagine it's going to involve lots of cut up extension cords. 40A EVSEs wired up with 14ga lamp cord. And Bubba Joe will attempt to power his shed with his car....without the proper equipment.

Basically there is going to be a lot of electrical fires.

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe

stevewm posted:

Can only imagine it's going to involve lots of cut up extension cords. 40A EVSEs wired up with 14ga lamp cord. And Bubba Joe will attempt to power his shed with his car....without the proper equipment.

There are these comical street side charging stations in LA. Not many use them, but they are there.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

stevewm posted:

"Hey Bubba, you sure that inverter can handle that saw?"

"Th' gently caress's an inverter?"

No poo poo, if I had the equipment to safely do so, I'd make a demonstration series on YouTube showing people what happens when you try to run 40A through cheap-poo poo electrical cords and other electric-related idiocy. Whoever does so will probably earn a Nobel Peace Prize for preventing the deaths of thousands of people.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Ripoff posted:

No poo poo, if I had the equipment to safely do so, I'd make a demonstration series on YouTube showing people what happens when you try to run 40A through cheap-poo poo electrical cords and other electric-related idiocy. Whoever does so will probably earn a Nobel Peace Prize for preventing the deaths of thousands of people.

I eagerly await the youtube video that shows what happens when Bubba hooks his saw directly up to ~370VDC

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Ripoff posted:

Pretty much this. Some folks are really, really hung up on the idea that cars should be filled up once/twice a week at maximum, I guess. Introducing them to new, radical ideas like "filling your car up every night at home" tends to throw them for a loop.

I know multiple people who are actively against plugging in their phone every night. As in they will actively choose not to plug their phone in when in their own bed with a convenient cord within reach if they don't feel they have to. And of course they regularly are running out of battery power before noon because they guessed wrong...

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Ripoff posted:

Oddly, I've also had people also ask if batteries are safe, which is weird as hell considering there's a quite a few gallons of flammable liquid sitting in the center or back of your car. :v:

I don't think that part is too odd given all the publicity exploding cellphones and laptops have got recently, and also that post crash testing Volt fire.

Regardless of the answer it's a reasonable question to be asking.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

wolrah posted:

I know multiple people who are actively against plugging in their phone every night. As in they will actively choose not to plug their phone in when in their own bed with a convenient cord within reach if they don't feel they have to. And of course they regularly are running out of battery power before noon because they guessed wrong...

It's quite reasonable to not want to plug your phone in at night, due to the fire hazard many USB chargers present. To then not have a routine where you charge during your morning bathroom/breakfast activity or in your car is quite short-sighted.

Not plugging your EV in at night is not really equivalent, because even if there is a fire hazard it's not right next to where you sleep.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

pun pundit posted:

It's quite reasonable to not want to plug your phone in at night, due to the fire hazard many USB chargers present.

I’m sorry about your phobia. :shobon:

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

pun pundit posted:

Not plugging your EV in at night is not really equivalent, because even if there is a fire hazard it's not right next to where you sleep.

Depends on where your garage is

Lata jie
Oct 23, 2008
Grimey Drawer
In regards to plugging in your car at night... it means never having to deal with waiting at the petrol station, no more cold hands from filling the car up in winter.. and best of all, my Leaf is nice and warm in the middle of winter when I leave for work :) The ability to pre-heat/pre-cool was never the reason I brought the Leaf, but would now be one of the main features I would be looking for in a new car.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Yeah people seem to miss the positives and focus only on the negatives.

It does depend on your parking situation though - if you don't have a suitable area, or your car is stuck out on the street it can be a pain in the arse

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

pun pundit posted:

It's quite reasonable to not want to plug your phone in at night, due to the fire hazard many USB chargers present.

uhhhhhhhhh

I mean maybe if you're buying 80 cent chargers from DealExtreme and it's literally just a transformer and a diode hot-glued inside the case, okay, but any charger that came with a brand-name phone or whatever is not going to be a fire hazard. At least no more than your wifi router or stereo system or any other device that you never unplug.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

This is pretty cool. Tesla is going to build a battery grid station in Australia. And Elon has made a time commitment bolder than a pizza delivery joint. Done in 100 days, or you get a 100% discount.

https://electrek.co/2017/07/07/tesla-win-contract-powerpack-system-battery-australia/amp/

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Lata jie posted:

In regards to plugging in your car at night... it means never having to deal with waiting at the petrol station, no more cold hands from filling the car up in winter.. and best of all, my Leaf is nice and warm in the middle of winter when I leave for work :) The ability to pre-heat/pre-cool was never the reason I brought the Leaf, but would now be one of the main features I would be looking for in a new car.

Yes, this is the best thing!

The Volt can do this as well. Hit the Remote Start button (which actually just turns the heater or AC on) in the OnStar app before leaving, and ~10 minutes later get into a nice toasty car :D It will only use house power if plugged in for pre-heat.

stevewm fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Jul 7, 2017

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

stevewm posted:

Yes, this is the best thing!

The Volt can do this as well. Hit the Remote Start button in the OnStar app before leaving, and ~10 minutes later get into a nice toasty car :D It will only use house power if plugged in for pre-heat.

More importantly, most of these cars can do that for the A/C so you don't have to get into a toasty car.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Cocoa Crispies posted:

More importantly, most of these cars can do that for the A/C so you don't have to get into a toasty car.

Yep, have used it for that as well.

At least for the Gen 2 Volt, it goes by the temperature that was set the last time the car was powered down to determine heat or AC when "remote started".

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Well I can do this with a 15 year old gas car so that's hardly a huge win. Not buying gas is great as long as you don't have to figure out how to get the car charged on the street, at that point a 5 minute pitstop every couple of weeks is way preferable. Then there are the long trips too (at which point stopping for an hour to recharge suddenly becomes a good thing).

Electrics are clearly still in the early adopters phase in that they're more expensive and/or less convenient in many cases than ICEs. But there's no doubt that they'll get there very soon, so reading stuff like France planning to ban pure gas/diesel cars by 2040 is funny because by then 90% of regular cars would be electric either way. So chill out, people will "get" it.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Hybrids rule just about any way you look at it. Their downsides are cost, interior space reduction, and weight. Their upsides are huge in both performance and maintenance.

I think it's a no-brainer to move a significant portion of manufactured cars to at least hybrid tech.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Plug in hybrids are an additional win as they are a gateway to full electric.

The surest way to cure range anxiety is for someone to forget when the last time the gas engine turned on in their 40 mile range 'EV.'

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

bull3964 posted:

Plug in hybrids are an additional win as they are a gateway to full electric.

The surest way to cure range anxiety is for someone to forget when the last time the gas engine turned on in their 40 mile range 'EV.'

Yeah, I'm actually wondering if you should put StaBil or something into your plug-in hybrid's gas tank to keep the gas from going bad.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Yeah, I'm actually wondering if you should put StaBil or something into your plug-in hybrid's gas tank to keep the gas from going bad.

Speaking for the Volts at least, the car keeps track of the average age of the fuel in the tank and forces you to burn it. On the Gen2 this will happen once the fuel approaches an average age of 12 months. It then goes into fuel maintenance mode until it burns most of it off. You can defer it one time, but once you shut the car off and turn it back on, it happens whether you want it to or not. If you only have half a tank that reaches 12 months, filling it up the rest of the way will reduce the average age by several months, thus buying you more time.

And if the engine goes more than 6 weeks without running, it will start it up and idle it for approx 15 minutes to circulate fluids. You also get to defer this one time. I've managed to get this prompt once so far.. Though I ended up using Hold mode anyways, which reset the clock.

stevewm fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jul 7, 2017

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

You know, I'm actually surprised that some gas station chain has not tired to sell "hybrid optimized" fuel that's advertised as longer shelf life.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
I am actually surprised at the amount of self maintenance the Volt does.

It's kinda weird to hear your car randomly making noises when it's sitting in the garage and turned off. If it's hot, the cooling fan and/or AC compressor may randomly come on to cool the battery if needed (particularly if charging). You can occasionally hear it re-pressurizing the fuel system. The DC-DC converter that charges the 12v battery sometimes makes a noticable whine (almost like the high pitched whine you hear from a CRT) when it's charging.

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer

Ripoff posted:

This channel basically exists and its great:
http://www.youtube.com/user/bigclivedotcom

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

bull3964 posted:

You know, I'm actually surprised that some gas station chain has not tired to sell "hybrid optimized" fuel that's advertised as longer shelf life.

Ethanol free gas is the closest there is right now. Unfortunately for some of us, it's near impossible to get and only available in 100 octane. I'd run it in my C10 if it was easy to get.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble
I have a gas station 1 mile away that sells ethanol free gas :ninja:

I use it for my mower.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Nearest station is about 90 minutes away. :( Which means I'd burn half a tank to get home from filling up. :lol:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

We get rec-90 around occasionally. They price it so that it's more expensive to run than e-? 87 octane, though. The only reason to buy it is for engines and fuel systems that CANNOT have corn in them.

It's great for mowers.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
Forgive me if this is the wrong thread, but I don't read AI and didn't see a hybrid thread and first-time-buyer. Also a bit more detailed than the buy-thread.

I'm currently looking at the Prius Prime 2017, there's the 4.5k fed tax credit, 1.5k california rebate, and $500 PG&E rebate so that's a pretty nice $6.5k off the price bringing it down to about $20k. Considering most used Prius's are really pretty expensive, I think that's a pretty nice deal which I'd hope holds good resell value. Plus throw in the HOV sticker here and that's definitely attractive and cheaper than even a regular Prius. Kind of a shame how loving ugly the regular Prius models are this year too with those weird tear-shaped crying headlights.

I'm currently drive the company's Prius (2011) and I like it a lot, really roomy and drives pretty well. How does the Prime drive compared to older Prius models? I've seen the interior and yeah it's sadly a bit less room than what i'm used to but I can live with that.

Is there anything I should be worried about going with this vs other ones like Volt (it's been drilled into my head don't-buy-american and seems too new to tell) or Sonata? I'm fine with the limited range on the battery as well, I have a 110v outlet near my parking space at my apartment and I don't drive really more than 20 miles a day except on weekend excursions to the beach or something. Some info and websites seem to have mixed opinions.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Xaris posted:

Forgive me if this is the wrong thread, but I don't read AI and didn't see a hybrid thread and first-time-buyer. Also a bit more detailed than the buy-thread.

I'm currently looking at the Prius Prime 2017, there's the 4.5k fed tax credit, 1.5k california rebate, and $500 PG&E rebate so that's a pretty nice $6.5k off the price bringing it down to about $20k. Considering most used Prius's are really pretty expensive, I think that's a pretty nice deal which I'd hope holds good resell value. Plus throw in the HOV sticker here and that's definitely attractive and cheaper than even a regular Prius. Kind of a shame how loving ugly the regular Prius models are this year too with those weird tear-shaped crying headlights.

I'm currently drive the company's Prius (2011) and I like it a lot, really roomy and drives pretty well. How does the Prime drive compared to older Prius models? I've seen the interior and yeah it's sadly a bit less room than what i'm used to but I can live with that.

Is there anything I should be worried about going with this vs other ones like Volt (it's been drilled into my head don't-buy-american and seems too new to tell) or Sonata? I'm fine with the limited range on the battery as well, I have a 110v outlet near my parking space at my apartment and I don't drive really more than 20 miles a day except on weekend excursions to the beach or something. Some info and websites seem to have mixed opinions.

Hi friend,

The 2nd+ gen Volt is a great competitor to the Prime, and the Sonata Hybrid is respectable as well. Have you typed "2017 carmodelhere reviews" into Google to check out what the hivemind says? I like the former auto magazines, Motor Trend, Car and Driver, plus KBB, Edmunds and a bunch of others. They will all place high in those search results, read through em and see what you think before you test drive.

Your opinion on American makes is antiquated post-2010 or so and there are a bunch of really great American cars right now. The Ford Fusion for example is probably the best mid-size econobox in the entire car market (which also has a hybrid) and competes favorably with the Sonata. Looks like the Chevy Impala is the #1 midsize on KBB, which again has a hybrid.

Feel free to join us in the AI/BFC/AT Car Buying Thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3213538

Michael Scott fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jul 16, 2017

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
The Ford Fusion is by no means anywhere near the best midsize sedan on the market, so generally just don't listen to what Michael Scott says.

However, he's right about domestics in general. The Volt is a great car but i would not recommend it for you since you want interior space, and the Volt is tight. It's very cramped in back and the steep rake of the hatch reduces your usable cargo space quite a bit.

There's also the Hyundai Ioniq, which is supposedly quite good but I haven't driven. The Prius Prime drives like a Prius, whether that's good or bad to you is a matter of personal preference.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The Ford Fusion is by no means anywhere near the best midsize sedan on the market, so generally just don't listen to what Michael Scott says.

However, he's right about domestics in general. The Volt is a great car but i would not recommend it for you since you want interior space, and the Volt is tight. It's very cramped in back and the steep rake of the hatch reduces your usable cargo space quite a bit.

There's also the Hyundai Ioniq, which is supposedly quite good but I haven't driven. The Prius Prime drives like a Prius, whether that's good or bad to you is a matter of personal preference.

From someone with a long torso, if you are are tall the Volt can be a bit annoying in the head room department also. If all you ever do is go back and forth to work and the grocery it is probably fine for your needs and quite a good car. Disclosure: I work for GM.

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe
Welp looks like the bolt is making GBS threads the bed, inventories continue to build as sales fade.

Take that defenders of GM!

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
What's wrong with it?

stevewm
May 10, 2005
It's not even available everywhere yet. You can only buy it in 5(?) states right now. Though it's supposed to go nationwide in August.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
I've put in 85,000 miles of trouble-free driving on my 2012 Elantra but if I was buying a car right now I'd definitely test drive and consider a Bolt. It's kind of ugly and apparently the interior quality is bad, but they nailed the powertrain, range, and regenerative braking and that's what actually matters.

When I'm ready to buy a car again in 2022-2025 the available EV choices will hopefully make the Bolt look like a has-been.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

The Sicilian posted:

Welp looks like the bolt is making GBS threads the bed, inventories continue to build as sales fade.

Take that defenders of GM!

I too am glad that an EV is failing :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

chupacabraTERROR posted:

What's wrong with it?

General Motors marketing.

• Locked thread