Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
My last house I owned the land up to the middle of the fing street. Hey large city lot 1.5 legal acres! ( .5 is right of way but you get to pay taxes on it anyway!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

HEY NONG MAN posted:

That's my neighborhood secret. Just don't have sidewalks.

This is like 70% of my city, for real.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
Maybe not the correct thread, but maybe someone has had a similar situation. Our neighbor has been having issues with property damage (dents on cars mostly to this point, but this morning his garage door was dented pretty badly on one side). It looks like someone smashed his garage door with one of the garage cans or something. He's pretty sure it's his neighbor to the other side, but nobody has been able to catch him in the act, we only know that it tends to happen when said neighbor is out in his garage.

Any recommendations for inexpensive security cameras? Doesn't need to be highest quality, or keep recordings/images for more than 48-72 hours looped. The least noticeable, the better. I'm concerned that eventually the phantom damager will get extra bored and move down to my house, so it's really for the both of us that I'm asking. Self contained would be preferable, though I'd be fine with something wifi or even PoE.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

PitViper posted:

Any recommendations for inexpensive security cameras? Doesn't need to be highest quality, or keep recordings/images for more than 48-72 hours looped. The least noticeable, the better. I'm concerned that eventually the phantom damager will get extra bored and move down to my house, so it's really for the both of us that I'm asking. Self contained would be preferable, though I'd be fine with something wifi or even PoE.

You can get a Hikvision PTZ IP68 POE powered tamper resistant camera for under a hundred. Make sure you get the domestic version. If the box comes in and it's all in Chinese send it back and report it to Amazon.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

H110Hawk posted:

You can get a Hikvision PTZ IP68 POE powered tamper resistant camera for under a hundred. Make sure you get the domestic version. If the box comes in and it's all in Chinese send it back and report it to Amazon.

FWIW Hikvision has some hard-coded vulnerabilities in their cameras that are so bad that Genetec kicked them off their platform entirely for a while and now only allows them back on with giant warning signs.

A lot of IP security cameras and other devices have default backdoors and whatnot that cannot be changed or are "randomized" but still vulnerable to exploits. Your home security camera probably isn't going to be the target of a knowledgeable hacker, but you never not what somebody's who's just snooping around will come across and decide to gently caress with.

For the love of god, at least make sure you change the default passwords off of "admin/admin" or whatever it is, and ideally don't use the default ports and enable SSL or other secure communication and authentication between your endpoints and your DVR/NVR/VMS!

fake eta: note the above concerns don't apply as much if you're not putting your camera on your home network with internet access as I now see that's what PitViper wants to do.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

IIRC didn't we used to have a home security thread somewhere? I can't seem to find it

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

QuarkJets posted:

IIRC didn't we used to have a home security thread somewhere? I can't seem to find it

Yeah ideally if your house has an install you can pay $3 a month for monitoring instead of $50 to adt. I have no idea where the thread is.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3635963

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

brugroffil posted:

FWIW Hikvision has some hard-coded vulnerabilities in their cameras that are so bad that Genetec kicked them off their platform entirely for a while and now only allows them back on with giant warning signs.

Oh right, forgot my standard warning of "never, ever, let this thing have internet access. Turn off UPnP even if you don't buy a camera. Set it up with a static address and firewall its outbound internet access." It's less of an issue if you have it outside your home, but I would never allow an interior facing camera internet access for ~the cloud~.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Should I even attempt painting the inside of a house or should I just pay someone to do it? 1400 sq ft, one floor. Am I looking at like $300 in paint and supplies?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Bob Morales posted:

Should I even attempt painting the inside of a house or should I just pay someone to do it? 1400 sq ft, one floor. Am I looking at like $300 in paint and supplies?

It's tedious and potentially messy work, but it requires no special skills, so anyone can do it.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

Go back like 3 pages to read the universal painting tips of "don't cheap out on supplies or prep, the actual painting is the easy part."

Edit: You're looking at $100 in supplies if you own literally nothing, plus paint. Drop cloths, plastic tarp (1mil, big 10'x100' box), high quality brush (wooster, purdy, ~2", angle, $10), high quality roller handle (I like the purdy one I have), multi-pack of rollers (not the cheapest), the cheapest paint tray they sell, the a dozen plastic liners for said tray, package of white rags if you own nothing clean and absorbent, paint cup large enough to fit your brush into, 1 roll 1" blue 3M brand painters tape (the expensive one), package of itty bitty cheapest chip brushes money can buy.

Practice cutting in places where you don't care with a wet rag at the ready. Wipe mistakes immediately. Only tape things where the penalty for error is high. It takes patience to cut in edges and draw paint into your brush. Just let it rest in the paint where you can still see the red of the bristles.

If everything is already painted and you don't need to strip it just make sure it's clean. High quality paint will take basically one coat if applied well. If it's a really high color change you can bang on some tinted primer but it's generally not needed. I wouldn't even worry about cutting in the primer, just get it close and heavy brush the edge later with your final color.

Fix mistakes later with your lovely brushes and just toss them. Your high quality brushes will last years if properly cared for, which basically means washing them out until the water runs clear and not drawing paint all the way up them constantly.

It takes a day (8 hours worked) per room to do 5 walls if you have the furniture pulled in already. This might not be all at once.

H110Hawk fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Jul 5, 2017

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Bob Morales posted:

Just pay someone to do it right.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Bob Morales posted:

Prep is the bane of all amateur painters but it's not hard, just tedious. As H110Hawk says if you prep correctly the actual painting is the easy part.

It comes down to how you value your time in terms of money. Anyone can paint 1400 square feet of drywall/trim with some Google research and patience. It will take you a lot longer than a pro and if you skimp out in places it will look worse but we're not talking even intro to Rocket Science here. Just a matter of how you value your time.

If you have a couple weekends where you'll just be sitting around anyway and you don't have a short fuse give it a go. Some people enjoy it, I am not one of them but they are out there. Otherwise pay a pro, there are no shortage of house painters in the world. Use Yelp, etc. for your area to research them.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Just pay someone to do it right.

This, the prep is a pain in the butt and if you do it right it not only will look better but it will last a long time without failing. I have a dumb house that has 20 foot ceilings so nope I hired some ladies that were fine with balancing on one foot like a 3 stooges movie.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
We just painted about 1400 sqft (Living room, dining room, kitchen, 2xbathrooms and 3x bedrooms, along with the stairs and hallways). It took 2 days between 2 people. It wasn't awful and we saved a few hundred bucks (but we're poor right now). If you can afford it, then you don't really need to ask the question, I suppose.

It could make for a fun afternoon if you get a six pack and a pizza, throw on some music and get to it.

Cannon_Fodder posted:

I've read the entire thread in the last few weeks. My timing has been excellent. I am closing on my first home tomorrow and I'm ~absolutely horrified~ but very excited.

Wish me luck, gents.

On my to-do list:

-Replacing flat roof above back door
-painting the rooms DONE
-finding a washer/dryer on the cheap (I cannot afford an expensive one right now) DONE
-removing rock/mulch walkway by the previous owner and replacing it with grass
-straightening up the garage
-replacing broken window in garage
-pissing in every corner to remind the house that it is now my house and I do what I want. DONEDONEDONE

-Replace slop sink DONE
-clear debris off fence DONE
-replace slop sink faucet DONE

Progress!

Any tips on setting down sod? The ground right now is some weedy beat up lovely mulch/dirt the length of the yard (but in a thin strip).

Cannon_Fodder fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jul 5, 2017

robotindisguise
Mar 22, 2003

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Any tips on setting down sod? The ground right now is some weedy beat up lovely mulch/dirt the length of the yard (but in a thin strip).

Make sure it's an okay season to do so for your area.... Lots of places have watering restrictions right now, so you could end up with huge fines or an astronomically large water bill. You'll be watering daily for a few weeks to get it established.

Kill existing weeds and grass by covering with tarps or plastic/visquine for a few weeks.

Fix any drainage or grading issues first.

Fill low spots and top dress with compost. No "fill" dirt.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

We're getting a contractor to replace our falling-over old-rear end wood fence with a cement block fence and then he started pointing out all of the other bullshit design issues that we inherited. As much as I appreciated his comments it also made me rue the previous owners who did all of this shoddy poo poo

We talked about enclosing the front yard at which point I could basically shut off the sprinkler system, let the grass die, and replace it with native ground cover, probably reducing my water usage by half. And no more mowing. Such dreams...

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jul 5, 2017

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Don't try and do it in the middle of the summer, wait for fall or spring. Getting grass established in the mid summer heat is a nightmare and require huge amounts of water.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

Bob Morales posted:

Definitely splurge on high quality paint. In the grand scheme of things it's a drop in the bucket (heh). Paint is so important to how a house feels. I ended up going with Sherwin Williams Cashmere and the paint cost me something like $600 instead of $300 and it looks awesome. I've already bumped into the wall a bunch of times while moving poo poo and it's still perfect. Cheap poo poo paint would have scuffs and/or chips. My buddy kept his house painted with the original builder's paint and a year later, there are loving scuffs and chips EVERYWHERE. It's ridiculous. It makes his brand new house look worn.

A single room that takes about a day is not bad, but man, a whole house...I would pay to get it done. It's just a lot. Think of it less as painting, and more as taping, removing things from the wall, sanding, moving furniture, laying down tarps, and cleaning. There's also a little bit of painting mixed in. I wouldn't want to do that for the next 2-3 weekends in between working my real job.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
The trick to painting is to cash in all your good will with your girlfriend, get her to do the second floor solo and go camping without her.

:awesomelon:

Seriously though, she's a goddamn saint.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

The real trick is to marry into a family of union painters who'll do the hard stuff for free and in about 1/4 of the time!

My wife and I still repainted most of our house ourselves. It's not the most fun job, but as long as you get good at cutting edges so you don't have to mess around with bullshit painter's tape, it's pretty easy. I can't imagine ever paying someone to do it.

If you have 20' ceilings or big two-story vaulted areas that's a different story though.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
I want to do a clean wall mount of a TV which shouldn't be an issue, if done by November, the previous owner will pay for the installation of the electrical outlet necessary.

Although - now I want to do an install such that there is nothing underneath the TV - I have seen it done a few times, but the question I have is how to actually do it and be able to use the AV equipment (we basically only have a Chromecast, Nintendo Switch and nVidia Shield).

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

You can stick an IR repeater to the bottom of the TV and pass the signal to whoever the AV stuff is.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Sab0921 posted:

I want to do a clean wall mount of a TV which shouldn't be an issue, if done by November, the previous owner will pay for the installation of the electrical outlet necessary.

Although - now I want to do an install such that there is nothing underneath the TV - I have seen it done a few times, but the question I have is how to actually do it and be able to use the AV equipment (we basically only have a Chromecast, Nintendo Switch and nVidia Shield).

What do you mean "nothing under the TV"? As in, no entertainment center, no visible wires, what is the goal? If it's to mount the Nintendo behind the TV there are probably brackets for that. The Chromecast mounts directly to the TV.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy

Sab0921 posted:

You want to route wires to another room, a closet, or another floor. You'll need plenum or riser rated cables and something like this remote to control everything. The remote is RF (and IR, for the TV control), and you stick the hub with your equipment and it acts as an IR transmitter. Add some keystone panels with the connectors you need and it can look all cleaned up. I just went through this, ran conduit in the wall and stuck all the equipment in the basement, did in wall speakers etc. Let me know if you need more info or terrible ideas, some of the stuff is frustrating to find.

Keystone plate behind the TV

Busted out wall for conduit (you don't necessarily need this level of idiocy)

Le Mans HQ, hasn't been plastered yet but you can see the center speaker that rides on a bracket above the TV and the in-wall on the right side.

All goes down a floor and runs along the ceiling in the basement

And terminates at this catastrophe, currently still with my professional cable management technique of "pile it on the fuckin floor"

Kanish
Jun 17, 2004

Sab0921 posted:

I have a IKEA credenza that I repurosed into my entertainment center. I mounted the tv probably 12 inches above it, with a sound bar mounted below that. I hid all wires by buying a brush plate (http://www.selby.com.au/pair-of-brush-wall-plates-with-brackets-brwppr.html) and just ran them through the drywall. Looks clean and was very easy to do.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I'm the super-clean installation and conduit followed up with the pile of loving cables on the floor.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I'm the stack of monitors sitting right in front of a fake fireplace

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Those conduits running across that railing would drive me absolutely crazy even though it's not the biggest deal.

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.

QuarkJets posted:

can i be the old ps3 games that will never be played again in the basement

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Are combination utility sinks/vanities much of a thing? I found a couple on Wayfair but they don't seem too common elsewhere. Is it a dumb idea to get one to put in a 1 3/4 bath + washroom in the basement?

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Buca di Bepis posted:

Are combination utility sinks/vanities much of a thing? I found a couple on Wayfair but they don't seem too common elsewhere. Is it a dumb idea to get one to put in a 1 3/4 bath + washroom in the basement?

That sounds like an application for a vintage farmhouse sink to me.

Start hittin up estate sales.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

:sterv:

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

minivanmegafun posted:

Homeownership: It's sad what it takes to get erect these days.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Why are you people going through so much work to mount your TV three feet too high my neck is hurting just looking at those pictures. At least put your couch on stilts.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

Pryor on Fire posted:

Why are you people going through so much work to mount your TV three feet too high my neck is hurting just looking at those pictures. At least put your couch on stilts.

My couch has slack. It does not do a good job holding me up at a 90° angle.

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

I've got a couple storage rooms in my house that are extremely musty due to basically no air flow getting there. One of them I'd like to store clothes, luggage, etc., stuff I hardly use so the door will be shut 99.99% of the time. I was thinking of adding one of these through-wall fans to the room that is installed and flows out to the exterior. Maybe on a timer so it runs during the day only.

Thoughts on this? What else can I do to "remove mustiness"?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

minivanmegafun posted:

I'm open to it but I've mostly seen those installed in kitchens. I'm kind of tight on space in the area so I need something that's basically just wide enough to hold a standard bathroom sink, but deeper and with a tall faucet without looking like your standard plastic mop tub.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

QuarkJets posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

porkface posted:

My couch has slack. It does not do a good job holding me up at a 90° angle.

I'm afraid that's a problem you'll experience with all couches, instead get one of those beds that they sell to hospitals that can support people who weigh like 2000 pounds